• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Blog Updates | NEWEST: Ditto

1FC0

Smash Lord
I don't think many Italians are offended by Mario.
Why is the stereotypical Native American content considered more offensive than the stereotypical Italian content even though the latter is in the game in much larger quantities?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Why is the stereotypical Native American content considered more offensive than the stereotypical Italian content even though the latter is in the game in much larger quantities?
It's pretty simple actually. No one is offended by Mario and Luigi, but people are offended by blatant Native American stereotypes. It's the same reason Speedy Gonzales was put back on the air, but Jynx has purple skin now.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It's pretty simple actually. No one is offended by Mario and Luigi, but people are offended by blatant Native American stereotypes. It's the same reason Speedy Gonzales was put back on the air, but Jynx has purple skin now.
I still do not get it. Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario are all blatant Italian stereotypes. They are 3 characters dedicated to the stereotype instead of just one move.
Do people consider wearing feathers stupid so that they want everyone to forget that Native Americans ever did it? That would explain it.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I still do not get it. Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario are all blatant Italian stereotypes. They are 3 characters dedicated to the stereotype instead of just one move.
Do people consider wearing feathers stupid so that they want everyone to forget that Native Americans ever did it? That would explain it.
Look at it this way; action is only necessary if people think it's necessary. Yeah, there are more Italian stereotypes in the cast of Super Smash Bros. than Native American ones, but nothing needs to be done about the blatant Italian stereotypes since no one gives a ****. Meanwhile, Native American stereotypes are something that a lot of people make a huge deal out of. No one thinks Mario and Luigi are offensive, so there's no reason to cut them out or edit them. Meanwhile, people care about Native American stereotypes.

The parts that are important, I put in bold. The point is, if no one thinks it offensive, nothing needs to be done. If someone thinks it is, then it does. People have been lobbying to get rid of Chief Wahoo (the mascot of the Cleveland Indians) for years. You might not personally care, but plenty of people do, even outside of the social justice community.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Just listen to and talk to the actual Native American people that were hurt by Mr. Game & Watch's initial forward smash instead of shifting the subject to stereotypes of white people like the Mario Bros. because they're not on equal level. If you want to figure out why there's a distinction, then do the research.

Asking random users on Smashboards to explain to you won't work, especially since only a very small amount of them are Native American. So just look around and do the work yourself instead of putting that responsibility on other people.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Look at it this way; action is only necessary if people think it's necessary. Yeah, there are more Italian stereotypes in the cast of Super Smash Bros. than Native American ones, but nothing needs to be done about the blatant Italian stereotypes since no one gives a ****. Meanwhile, Native American stereotypes are something that a lot of people make a huge deal out of. No one thinks Mario and Luigi are offensive, so there's no reason to cut them out or edit them. Meanwhile, people care about Native American stereotypes.

The parts that are important, I put in bold. The point is, if no one thinks it offensive, nothing needs to be done. If someone thinks it is, then it does. People have been lobbying to get rid of Chief Wahoo (the mascot of the Cleveland Indians) for years. You might not personally care, but plenty of people do, even outside of the social justice community.
None of this addresses my question. Though I do think that for the sake of PR Nintendo might be better of listening to easily offended groups. On the other hand, controversy can be good too. Even negative attention can increase the popularity of a brand by making it more well-known.

Just listen to and talk to the actual Native American people that were hurt by Mr. Game & Watch's initial forward smash instead of shifting the subject to stereotypes of white people like the Mario Bros. because they're not on equal level.
So is it because Native Americans are considered to be the superior race? What is the reasoning behind their race being on a higher level?
If you want to figure out why there's a distinction, then do the research.

Asking random users on Smashboards to explain to you won't work, especially since only a very small amount of them are Native American. So just look around and do the work yourself instead of putting that responsibility on other people.
I was asking why people are offended by the feather but not by the Mario Bros. And many people here seem to be offended by the feather but not by the Mario Bros. So I was asking about the thoughts of a lot of the people here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
None of this addresses my question. Though I do think that for the sake of PR Nintendo might be better of listening to easily offended groups. On the other hand, controversy can be good too. Even negative attention can increase the popularity of a brand by making it more well-known.
That's very immoral and would give the company a bad reputation.

I was asking why people are offended by the feather but not by the Mario Bros. And many people here seem to be offended by the feather but not by the Mario Bros. So I was asking about the thoughts of a lot of the people here.
Mario bros are depicted as good guys. The Native Americans in the Fire were bad guys.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The stereotype of the feather points to the past where Native Americans were all made to be evil warrior tribes that would pillage the good folk. Not only that, but for many Native Americans, feathers in the hair have deep and important cultural and sometimes religious aspects. It's not something you're supposed to use haphazardly.

The Mario Bros only have accents.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unsurprisingly, Mewtwo was the update. However, Mr. Game and Watch's entry will either come as the Thursday night update, or will have to happen next week.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This thread's title is in dire need of an update.

Kori

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they snuck out Game and Watch as the final update even though he was released like two weeks ago... Lol...

Top Bottom