• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

voorhese

Smash Master
hey wake up!!!!! lol u cant here this, we have a ride there, but we need a ride back....., we cant go unless we have a ride back so get crackin plz...

PurdueSmash

Smash Apprentice
SSBO XVIII Results!

Results from the SSBO XVIII this weekend:

SSBM Doubles
Bracket Results:
1: Black-White Supremacist (Kirkq + NJzFinest) -$45.00
2: George Didn't Pick a Team Name (Mr. H + iamthemicrowave) - $15.00
3: KTF MagicNs (kSo + Goosefactor)
4: 40 Nights (Puma + AC Burrito)

Pools Results:
1: Black-White Supremacist (Kirkq + NJzFinest)
1: KTF MagicNs (kSo + Goosefactor)
3: 40 Nights (Puma + AC Burrito)
3: George Didn't Pick a Team Name (Mr. H + iamthemicrowave)
5: Super Saiyan 4 Evil Jesus (Voorhese + Japn)
5: Off Consistently (Ryan + BunBun)

SSBM Singles
Bracket Results
1: Kirkq - $32.00 (split)
2: NJzFinest - $31.00 (split)
3: Goose - $7.00
4: kSo
5: Lavos
5: Vorheese
7: Ac Burrito
7: Puma

Pool 1 Results:
1: NJzFinest
2: AC_Burrito
3: jason_voorhese29374293874234
4: Lavos
5: Mr H
6: iamthemicrowave
7: Japn

Pool 2 Results:
1: kSo
2: Goose
3: Kirkq
4: Puma
5: BunBun
6: Swan
7: Colby

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It was "Off Constantly" not "Off Consistently". The joke doesn't work then.

But yeah, I apologize to BunBun for being so terrible at Melee lol.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
Results from the SSBO XVIII this weekend:

SSBM Doubles
Bracket Results:
1: Black-White Supremacist (Kirkq + NJzFinest) -$45.00
2: George Didn't Pick a Team Name (Mr. H + iamthemicrowave) - $15.00
3: KTF MagicNs (kSo + Goosefactor)
4: 40 Nights (Puma + AC Burrito)

Pools Results:
1: Black-White Supremacist (Kirkq + NJzFinest)
1: KTF MagicNs (kSo + Goosefactor)
3: 40 Nights (Puma + AC Burrito)
3: George Didn't Pick a Team Name (Mr. H + iamthemicrowave)
5: Super Saiyan 4 Evil Jesus (Voorhese + Japn)
5: Off Consistently (Ryan + BunBun)

SSBM Singles
Bracket Results
1: Kirkq - $42.00
2: NJay - $21.00
3: Goose - $7.00
4: kSo
5: Lavos
5: Vorheese
7: Ac Burrito
7: Puma

Pool 1 Results:
1: NJay
2: AC_Burrito
3: jason_voorhese29374293874234
4: Lavos
5: Mr H
6: iamthemicrowave
7: Japn

Pool 2 Results:
1: kSo
2: Goose
3: Kirkq
4: Puma
5: BunBun
6: Swan
7: Colby
Good job Guys.
I wish i were in Purdue
and had money as well.

and WAIT...
KSO and Goose -_-
KTF MagicNs ??

YOU GUYS ARE NOT KOREANS.

YOU GUYS CANNOT EVEN COMMAND THUNDER INTO YOURSELVES
PLUS, DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW YOU FEEL LIKE BEING BEEF JERKY.

do not use that team name. unless you guys can those two at least.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey all good tourney , im gonna practice the **** out of the ganon vs sheik, and ganon vs fox matches, thats all i lost today except to njay, ****ing sheild -> rest =) lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
My name is NJay now?

Oh, and I got more then 21 dollars in singles, *hint hint*.

*edits posts*

voorhese

Smash Master
My name is NJay now?

Oh, and I got more then 21 dollars in singles, *hint hint*.

*edits posts*
lol yah nj same thing, just pronounced it like that, well u could be like me, and like friday the 13th a lot when u were little, then make jason_voorhese329 your e-mail adress(like 5 years ago), then think ur only gonna use smashboards for looking at vids, then being forced to use the name jason voorhese because of it lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, I did the same thing. My original name was "foxandfalco". I eventually changed it to NJzFinest with a mod's help.

Reason why I choose this name was to piss off Mew2King while having a name sounding "kinda black".

voorhese

Smash Master
Lol, I did the same thing. My original name was "foxandfalco". I eventually changed it to NJzFinest with a mod's help.

Reason why I choose this name was to piss Mew2King while having a name sounding "kinda black".
lol.... and on a side note, my ringtone on my phone is dreamland 64 =)

'Fro

Smash Lord
hey all good tourney , im gonna practice the **** out of the ganon vs sheik, and ganon vs fox matches, thats all i lost today except to njay, ****ing sheild -> rest =) lol
Practice vs. Samus while you're at it, kid.

Sorry to not be there this time, but Kitsune knows my johns, and I quote him as saying "I approve of those johns." I'll do everything I can to prevent any events from stopping me next time. I severely need to actually go to a tourney to gauge my progress over the summer.

Congrats to Craig and George for the runners-up spot in doubles! Good stuff!

'Fro

Smash Lord
How's the Bowser vs Samus practice coming along? ^_^
Well, you're you and I'm me, so there's your explanation for what happened when we played.

As for the Vorheese vs. Samus thing, he'll tell you how much he hates that match-up. He's put the Samus d-smash at the level of Peach's d-smash and the shine, hence what I said. Just putting things in the right perspective.

Doesn't mean I won't practice that match-up with you again, though! GOTTA BEAT THOSE LOW-TIERS!

In addition, about the whole Samus being disadvantaged against low-tiers thing and Mario being better, that would mean Melee has an extremely faulty tier list. No number of high-tier counter match-ups will place a character that high on the tier list if they're disadvantaged against a lot of the lower characters.

The 3rd Strike tier list, for example, is based on the character's match-up differentials. The character's match-ups are tallied up against all the others. Say Chun-Li has a 7-3 advantage over Ryu. That puts two points into Chun-Li's total. The characters are then ranked from highest totals to lowest. Big gaps in total points are represented by tier seperations(top to high, etc.). That prevents ambiguous tier placements.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but I never remembered to say that when we were at your place.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Well...

Regarding the tier list thing, that's probably because Samus IS lower on the tier list that she's currently ranked. M2K and others who've put together their own lists agree that she's too high right now.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cPU2GKzTA

Goose and A C know wat im talking about :upsidedown:
LOL

Heh, the only thing wrong with the picture is that Mario isn't small. We all know how impossible NES games are. It's one thing to scrape by with a victory over one of the Koopa Kids, it's another thing to do it while still being big!

I really wish we somehow were able to put together a replay video of all our pathetic deaths in the game from Friday night. I'm thinking of a couple that we could put of you. :p

Also, a couple of us are gonna be spending the next two weeks convincing you to come to the next tourney.

KSO// http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/toiletpaper.jpg

Overrated, don't you think? Who needs that when you have...other options....?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
First of, I'd like to say that Fox is finally fun to use again. I'm thinking about using him more in tourney. It's a possibility as of now though... you know, since Sheik, Puff, and DK counter basically everyones main and stagepicks anyways.

For Fro:

Mew2King said:
For all of you who wanted to know what my tier list was, I just made it, after spending about 2 hours on it, here it is.

Sheik
Fox
Marth
Falco

High

Peach/C.Falcon/Jigglypuff (I cannot decide an order, so I'll just rank them the same)
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario (he is better than Mario for winning purposes, and he is very underused and underrated)

Mid

DK/Ganon
Mario
Samus (she's very limited, I know high level Samus and she's definitely very limited and not very good outside of a few tricks at high level and her broken wavedash back)
Luigi
Pikachu
Link

Low

Y. Link
Zelda
Roy
G&W
Yoshi

Bottom

Bowser
Pichu
Mewtwo
Ness
Kirby

1) Marth vs Fox is EVEN, it is the most even matchup in the game, it is just like MK vs Snake in Brawl (except MK is better in Brawl slightly while Fox is better in Melee slightly), I have thought this when I mained Fox (when I beat Ken I even thought Fox had the advantage and Ken agreed), and I think this now that I main Marth. It is stage dependent, it's about 50/50, although Fox at really high level has a small advantage because of lasers if he doesn't make mistakes. Trust me, I know the matchup both ways really well, so does Cactuar and PC and Ken and Neo and a lot of people that have a very similar opinion of me, and the matchup is the most even you can possibly get besides a ditto.

2) Sheik counters Marth. Marth does better vs spacies slightly because of the chain grab, but Sheik beats more characters easier than Marth does at high level (she beats herself pretty good too, even w/out CG). Sheik also doesn't get CGed by nearly as many characters as Fox/Falco do, but she has more reliably killing power than Marth. Sheik losing to Ice Climbers is a myth. Regardless of any arguments you present, and I don't really care cuz this thread is just to show you guys what I think since a lot of you have asked me before, I won't change my opinion. I know the game really well, and I thought a lot about the characters placement. If I change my mind of any of this it will probably be on my own doing.

3) Falco has a slight advantage against Fox 1 on 1. Fox only has the advantage on FD, or if Falco plays an edge game and gets gimped a lot.

4) Fox and Falco supposedly have a small advantage vs Sheik, but I've always sucked at fighting Sheik w/ Fox. However, since the vast majority of other pros I talk to think Fox has the advantage I'll just accept that.
Mew2King
Posted 9/2/2008 11:35:36 AM
5) I think Sheik is the best character in Melee if played right (I have thought this for OVER 2 YEARS even when I used her A LOT back at OC2), and I do play her a lot, and I'm very good with her which you would know if you have played me in person instead of basing off vids like a scrub, so don't say I put her top because I don't use her, because I use her very much, mostly for random mid/high tier matchups, and for Sheik dittos. I don't want to hear that, oh if Marth spaces a Fair right, he won't get hit. It doesn't work like that, you can't just say that, Sheik can just needle camp and her hitboxes go through Fox, and Marth just gets projectile camped and therefore he can't just Fair camp if the Sheik doesn't let him, and that's everyone's argument for Marth being the best, besides me Azen and Ken's success w/ him. I am probably best with Marth (actually it's about the same I'm just known for Marth) but that doesn't mean the character is better. There is people that my Marth has lost to then my Sheik 4 stocked the person the very next match w/ Sheik, and there's times my Fox has lost only for me to 3 stock the person w/ Sheik. Both of these happened 1-2 months ago.

6) Doc is better than Mario, it is obvious. Doc DK Ganon Mario Samus are all close, but Doc just has more practical tools for winning, Mario's only true asset over Doc is less landing lag from all his aerials, but Doc has more power in down smash, and better USEFUL attributes like gimping.

7) Kirby and Ness are definitely worse than Pichu Mewtwo and Bowser. They are just plain horrible, I don't care what ATs there are for them, even at the highest levels of play these characters are just super limited and bad.

8) Peach loses to a lot of characters. Honestly, I'm not even sure if she is 5th or not. She probably has a small disadvantage to Falcon and Jiggs, pretty even or small advantage vs Falco, gets ***** by the top 3 (***** fox only if fox makes mistakes), and beats ICs.

9) Sheik vs Marth is a counter, a counter means the best character for the matchup against someone else. The best character to fight Marth is Sheik, it's 60/40 in Sheik's favor at least, or 65/35

Sheik Marth 65/35 or 60/40
Falco vs Fox 60/40
Marth vs Falco 60/40 or 55/45
Fox Sheik 55/45 or 50/50
Falco Sheik 55/45 or 50/50
Marth Fox 50/50

these are all my opinions, but very, very educated ones

10) I main Marth (not really, it's more like I main the top 3, but I guess if it had to be one it would be Marth) because he's the easiest to be consistent with.

Mr H

Smash Ace

'Fro

Smash Lord
Hence what I said, Carl: Faulty tier list! We are in agreement, sir!

The main thing that's keeping me as a Samus main right now is that my game has actually progressed while using her. She's helped me get rid of a lot of bad habits, such as rolling when under pressure. I might switch to another character later on, but she's my main for now. I appreciate the input, though!

voorhese

Smash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew2King
For all of you who wanted to know what my tier list was, I just made it, after spending about 2 hours on it, here it is.

God

Ganon

Sheik
Fox
Marth
Falco

High

Peach/C.Falcon/Jigglypuff (I cannot decide an order, so I'll just rank them the same)
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario (he is better than Mario for winning purposes, and he is very underused and unde )

Mid

DK
Mario
Samus (she's very limited, I know high level Samus and she's definitely very limited and not very good outside of a few tricks at high level and her broken wavedash back)
Luigi
Pikachu
Link

i agree =), but on a serious note... hey instead of just practicing against fox and shiek with my ganon cuz i need it, should i also pick up ic's to counterpick shiek, and peach to counterpick fox, and are those the best counter picks?

japn

Smash Cadet
the steroids wore off b4 singles
haha again........well u still did good in singles the only problem for u is that u had to face the voorhese and lavos in our poles? not for sure its either poles or brakets i think on of those two, but over all u did really well. if it had to be compared to a different thing it would be me. i lost every match in poles so i got eliminated =(, but still every1 gave me complements that i have improved since that last time i was there.

and i thank iamthemicrowave for giving me tips on how to beat a fox and ect. it was fun there and it was nice meeting u all again.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Just pick up Falco Jason.

Falco has a slight advantage/even matchup against Sheik and ***** Fox. ICs do a little better then Falco against Sheik, but Falco is much better against Fox, especially since Fox>Peach.

And, Falco requires a little less tech skill and much much less mental thought then Fox.

Just jump, shoot, kick, and shine.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Just pick up Falco Jason.

Falco has a slight advantage/even matchup against Sheik and ***** Fox. ICs do a little better then Falco against Sheik, but Falco is much better against Fox, especially since Fox>Peach.

And, Falco requires a little less tech skill and much much less mental thought then Fox.

Add to that that Falco resolves other match-ups that 'Dorf is disadvantaged at (such as Falcon). He'll just give you a more solid ground against most characters in general. Do be careful of Marths and Peaches, though. But then again, you have 'Dorf for the princess!

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
Which I cannot perform. T-T

NJzFinest said:
TheLoveBelow781 (PM 1:05:14): it is your quest
TheLoveBelow781 (PM 1:05:17): young nigga maus
TheLoveBelow781 (PM 1:05:25): you must find nigga xif
TheLoveBelow781 (PM 1:05:36): and recieve the nigga sword of negro justice
TheLoveBelow781 (PM 1:05:44): and save the niggaland

voorhese

Smash Master
Add to that that Falco resolves other match-ups that 'Dorf is disadvantaged at (such as Falcon). He'll just give you a more solid ground against most characters in general. Do be careful of Marths and Peaches, though. But then again, you have 'Dorf for the princess!
yah i like dorf vs peach, and also i like dorf vs marth, i think i 2 stocked goose's marth last saturday, then he counterpicked shiek =(

'Fro

Smash Lord
yah i like dorf vs peach, and also i like dorf vs marth, i think i 2 stocked goose's marth last saturday, then he counterpicked shiek =(
That's when you know you've gotten under Goose's feathers: If he switches from Marth! I know from experience.

Top Bottom