• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

'Fro

Smash Lord
Once every 3/4 tourneys have an extension to a 2 day tournament, with more events. Like pokemon (I'll own you again Jay), worms, and competitive alcohol consumption immediately followed by Tetris.
You're spelling resistance wrong, repeatedly.

:phone:

PurdueSmash

Smash Apprentice
SSBO: MLS Schedule and Preliminary Information

To any and all interested parties,

Please find below the schedule for the SSBO: MLS events, for your viewing pleasure (props to Trail for the name). Please note that all dates are tentative and are subject to change, if necessary.

Fall 2012 Schedule
SSBO: MLS I - August 25, 2012
SSBO: MLS II - September 1, 2012
SSBO: MLS III - September 15, 2012
SSBO: MLS IV - September 29, 2012
SSBO: MLS V - October 20, 2012
SSBO: MLS VI - November 3, 2012
SSBO: MLS VII - November 10, 2012
SSBO: MLS VIII - December 1, 2012

Spring 2013 Schedule
SSBO: MLS IX - January 19, 2013
SSBO: MLS X - January 26, 2013
SSBO: MLS XI - February 9, 2013
SSBO: MLS XII - February 23, 2013
SSBO: MLS XIII - March 2, 2013
SSBO: MLS XIV - March 23, 2013
SSBO: MLS XV - April 6, 2013
SSBO: MLS The Final - April 13, 2013

Items of Interest
  • The SSBO: MLS series will be structured as a circuit, with points awarded to players that advance to the bracket stage of the tournament according to their final placement. The system will function quite like the previous Purdue Ladder Ranking system, albeit without the challenge system; players will be seeded according to their points, with top singles players being awarded a cut of the collections from SSBO: MLS events (which will be obtained at each event via either a flat amount or a percentage, at the tournament organizers' discretion) upon the conclusion of the circuit. Additional funds may be added to the final collections amount prior to payment.
  • At the end of the circuit (that is, upon the conclusion of SSBO: MLS The Final, currently scheduled for April 13, 2013), top singles players will receive a percentage of the total collections from each of these tournaments according to their final point totals. Points awarded at The Final will be multiplied by a factor yet to be determined.
  • Any player may compete in the SSBO: MLS circuit and be placed on the points board upon advancing to the bracket stage of any SSBO: MLS event.
  • To be eligible to receive a final pay-out, a ranked player must attend a minimum of 3 SSBO: MLS events, not including The Final.
  • Depending upon the availability of set-ups, players eliminated from initial pools may be placed into their own pool for additional play time. However, any players in this pool will not receive points.

Stay tuned to the thread for any additional information.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
Also johns, i'm aware that Little England needs a handicap, but having him start with 400 points seems a bit excessive. It would even take a good player quite a while to catch up to him.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
@ Voorhese: I'll likely be sticking with the standard pools-to-bracket structure for these, with the possible exception of The Final, a la SMYM7.

@ Scott: sCoTt

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
For those of you that want to register for The Big House 2, there will be a $5 increase in the venue fee by September 1st which is just shy of a week away. Also if you haven't heard, Project M entrants will be CAPPED at 32, so make sure to register asap if you want a spot. (20 spots left iirc.)

Ya Dad

Smash Apprentice
Since I missed the first one, that means I can't enter the second one scheduled for September 1st, right?

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Since I missed the first one, that means I can't enter the second one scheduled for September 1st, right?
Oh, no, not at all; entry into the first tournament is by no means a requirement for entry into any of the other tournaments of the circuit. The only requirement as to attendance concerns players who finish in the pay-out positions of the rankings at the end of the circuit next year; they must have attended (meaning paid to enter) at least 3 standard SSBO: MLS tournaments (i.e., not including The Final) in order to be eligible to receive their winnings. We would be happy to have you at our next event.

Also, this stuff:

SSBO: MLS I Results (7 entrants)
1: Little England ($10.00)
2: Lanceinthepants ($5.00)

3: 'Fro
4: WarHippy
5: Bryan
5: Tak
7: Dakota

SSBO: MLS Circuit Standings (Post-SSBO: MLS I)
1: Little England - 100
2: Lanceinthepants - 70
3: 'Fro - 45

4: WarHippy - 25
5: Bryan - 10
5: Tak - 10
7: Dakota - 5

Current Circuit Pot (1 tournament): $20.00

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Oh, no, not at all; entry into the first tournament is by no means a requirement for entry into any of the other tournaments of the circuit. The only requirement as to attendance concerns players who finish in the pay-out positions of the rankings at the end of the circuit next year; they must have attended (meaning paid to enter) at least 3 standard SSBO: MLS tournaments (i.e., not including The Final) in order to be eligible to receive their winnings. We would be happy to have you at our next event.
we both share a semicolon addiction

'Fro

Smash Lord
Can we just show up and enter?

Of course you can! Heck, that's pretty much how most of the crew members became regular tourney goers... They showed up one day and entered, so yeah, come on down!

For anyone who hasn't met any of us before, I'm gonna post my phone number on here in case any of you have trouble finding us on tourney day/ have any questions you need answered quicker than what's possible on the boards:

317-603-4056

goosefactor

Smash Lord
What the fffffff, there's one of these this weekend? Wasn't there one last weekend? I thought these were like tri weekly things. OMgGgGGG. And why the d*** is the name purple? Don't tell me there are tournies for both games. Ahhhhh! :skull:

I need a drink.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
What the fffffff, there's one of these this weekend? Wasn't there one last weekend? I thought these were like tri weekly things. OMgGgGGG. And why the d*** is the name purple? Don't tell me there are tournies for both games. Ahhhhh! :skull:

I need a drink.
This means we are getting ****ed up this weekend Matt?

Also, I saw like 6 "Georges" today around campus. White people all look the same to me.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
*Moves cursor to Ike*
*Defend's Jay and moves cursor to Ike*

What the fffffff, there's one of these this weekend?
Hmm, I didn't realize this either. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in Doubles due to a scheduling conflict (or whatever tourny that supposedly starts at noon), but I'll be back for singles a bit after 3pm.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I don't know how in the world Lance sees white people and thinks of George. Now just about 50% of those black guys in my classes...

goosefactor

Smash Lord
This means we are getting ****ed up this weekend Matt?
It means I'll need to drink first thing Saturday morning so that I can pass out during the day. That way, when I come to, the tourney will be over and you guys will be ready for dinner.

White people all look the same to me.
Like mother like son.

Hmm, I didn't realize this either. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in Doubles due to a scheduling conflict (or whatever tourny that supposedly starts at noon), but I'll be back for singles a bit after 3pm.
Alls I knows is yous better be free to hang this weekend.

I dunno how I got the reputation of most generic looking white guy ever (i blame matt) but apparently it has stuck, good to know my legacy is alive and well, albiet in a strange fashion.
Oh hoonz? I didn't start that, did I? I mean, I totally agree with it, lol, but I don't think I was initially behind it. And yes, your legacy will always live on. Gas Station Night has and will continue to prove that to me.

PurdueSmash

Smash Apprentice
Announcements Concerning SSBO: MLS Circuit

To all interested parties, please find below a list of announcements and modifications to the SSBO: MLS Circuit series. These changes will begin with this weekend's SSBO.

1. Circuit Pay-Out and Qualification Changes.
a. Rather than determine winners simply by straight point totals, winners of the circuit take at The Final will be determined by a championship double-elimination singles bracket (in addition to The Final's own bracket), which will be seeded according to the top players' point totals. Only the top portion of players ranked at the end of the Circuit (including The Final itself) will qualify for the championship bracket. The number of qualifiers will depend upon the number of players on the rankings list at the conclusion of The Final, and the number of pay-out positions will depend upon the number of ranked players as well as the size of the final Circuit take. Please also note that this naturally requires that players be present at The Final in order to collect their Circuit winnings.​
b. Entry into The Final now counts towards a player's required 3 paid entries to qualify for the Circuit pay-out.​

The current goal for the SSBO: MLS Circuit is to collect at least $20 from each regular SSBO: MLS event, yielding a (potential) final pot of at least $300, with the possibility of additional funds to be added if the final amount is deemed to be too low.​

2. Addition of Project: M as a side-tournament. As an additional incentive to enter, SSBO: MLS tournaments will now offer both singles and doubles for Project: M. Please note, however, that circuit points will be awarded only for performance in Melee as Project: M is a side-tournament, not the main feature. Project: M will use the MELEE-FC10R ruleset.

3. Melee Stage List Changes. Fountain of Dreams and Stadium will swap positions on the singles stage list, that is, Fountain will now be in the set from which players will initially strike and Stadium will be added as a counterpick option beyond game 1.

4. New standard tournament structure. In league with the addition of Project: M to the offerings, a $5 admissions fee will provide entry into both games for each format, i.e. $5 will permit entry to both games' singles events, and another $5 will allow entry into both games' doubles events (note that players can have different teammates for Melee and Project: M). Again, Melee remains the main event at SSBO's, with Project: M added as a side-event. To the extent possible, both games' singles and doubles will be run simultaneously under the guidance of staff tournament organizers.

5. Pay-Out Determination. With the addition of the Project: M side-tournament and the ongoing Circuit collections, changes to pay-outs will be required. As such, for every $5 entry for each format, $1 will be allocated to Project: M (winner takes all), $2 to Melee (pay-out structure to be determined based on availability of funds and number of entrants), and $2 to the Circuit take.

Send any questions, comments, or what have you to CunningKitsune via PM.

Top Bottom