• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Powered Battle Friends - 2D Platform Fighter

Prazon

Smash Cadet
Yes we're still alive!

Super Powered Battle Friends is a platform fighter. We are working towards featuring incredible Local Multiplayer and Online Multiplayer modes and the gameplay depth for intense competitive 1 on 1 matches. We want Super Powered Battle Friends to feel great for competitive players and social players alike!

The Cast so far!
Daxter
Luna
Prazon
Idona
Arc

And more to come!

https://i.imgur.com/C53RZ9p.gifv - testing testing testing all the time

https://imgur.com/g0ZpnTz - Screenshot from our map Rossa Range

If you want to help test an early Alpha game or just play at your own leisure while we develop the project head on over to our discord and just ask for a key and tag Prazon, Mickemoose, Laundo, or Kumorii and we'll DM you a key you can redeem on Steam to test with. We recommend using a gamepad/controller. Our current focus is on testing Local couch multiplayer and Bots. The online is very unstable in our current build but you're welcome to mess around with it.

Twitter

Website

Last edited:

Prazon

Smash Cadet
We're a team of 3 so far but we currenty have 2 people on character art & animation and 1 person on stage art

So we have:

Brendan Miller-Young (Prazon) -Stage Art (That's me)
Jordan Landry (Laundry) -Character Animation & Art (Specializes in animation)
Derek Miller-Young (Mickemoose) -Character Art & Animation (Specializes in static frames)

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Have you thought about releasing a trailer on YouTube or something .3. I kinda want to see more of this in action

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
The game seems interesting, but I'm going to be a little critical here, I'm not too found of the art-style. It kind of seems barley reminiscent of Seth MacFarlen's art style...

But yeah, I hope more is revealed at a later date. Keep up the good work.

Prazon

Smash Cadet
The game seems interesting, but I'm going to be a little critical here, I'm not too found of the art-style. It kind of seems barley reminiscent of Seth MacFarlen's art style...

But yeah, I hope more is revealed at a later date. Keep up the good work.
The stages and the backgrounds are placeholders. How is this?

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Mind explaining how some of the mechanics and such are going to work and maybe your plans for this project? The screens are nice, but otherwise I know zero about this without gleaning over details in the screenshots and gifs, lol.

Specials confirmed. I do like the visuals on this stage by the way.

This girl confirmed to potential have some of the worst frame data. Also, will shields decay over time like they do in Smash? And what's up with that paw in that lower right hand corner? :o

Nice rumble effect upon death and special attack.

I dunno, this all looks really nice and even just watching the way characters move and jump makes me happy because it shows there's at least gameplay progress being made.

Though I do really strongly recommend posting more actual information if possible on this in your original post, because information on this is pathetic. Maybe like a briefing on your projects goals and what you aim to accomplish?

Prazon

Smash Cadet
I'll get around to it today and post a general briefing :) We're still working out some mechanics and I don't want to promise that anything is going to stay as is but I'll fill in the info of what we've got so far! Also that paw was just a mouse cursor caught in the .gif

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
That would be much appreciated! I'm very intrigued at least by what I see, and I hope to see more of it. From what I can tell thus far this project is a strange case in which there is a lot of shown prove of it functioning and gameplay being shown, yet no information is known about it beyond that. :laugh: I totally understand not wanting to make promises that just don't work out, though, and I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this project. Can't wait to see what this will be all about. :)

Prazon

Smash Cadet
That would be much appreciated! I'm very intrigued at least by what I see, and I hope to see more of it. From what I can tell thus far this project is a strange case in which there is a lot of shown prove of it functioning and gameplay being shown, yet no information is known about it beyond that. :laugh: I totally understand not wanting to make promises that just don't work out, though, and I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this project. Can't wait to see what this will be all about. :)
I have updated the first post a little bit! Will post more screenshots soon!

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Nice, that's a much better way of evoking interest in the project I'd say! :) Definitely following your Twitter, and I'm really digging the art style and the progress I'm seeing with the snippets of video and screenshots. Really loving the general aesthetic of your game, and the stage layouts, too. Keep up the good work!

Prazon

Smash Cadet
Nice, that's a much better way of evoking interest in the project I'd say! :) Definitely following your Twitter, and I'm really digging the art style and the progress I'm seeing with the snippets of video and screenshots. Really loving the general aesthetic of your game, and the stage layouts, too. Keep up the good work!
Thanks so much! Hope you become a future player and fan :happysheep:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Any chance of some form of trailer in the works as development comes along? Also what is significance or meaning of the paw icons out of curiosity?

Prazon

Smash Cadet
chance of some form of trailer in the works as development comes along? Also what is significance or meaning of the paw icons out of curiosity?
We're actually getting some of the content prepared for a trailer, we want it to be worth showing off first. The paw is representing the WolfPack which is what we call the characters in the game. It's a symbol for things like the HUD, mouse cursor, selections, etc. I'll see if I can get an ETA for a trailer and let you know ASAP :)

Prazon

Smash Cadet
I don't have a trailer for you yet but I do have a very very very early build that I wanted to show you just so you can see some progress :)

(PLEASE CHECK THE README BEFORE PLAYING AND NO THERE ISN'T MUCH BALANCE YET JUST TESTING CORE MECHANICS!)

REMOVED

Let me know what you think of the mechanics so far! Anything that feels off. Bugs you may encounter. Even balance issues would be nice to hear before it is implemented. :)

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Having trouble getting it running, I'll try again later for sure. Really excited to see how this plays.
error.png
Here's the error message I get by the way.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
What are the characters supposed to be based on? To me, they're all just people with the same skin tone, proportions, and very similar faces. I don't know how I feel about the character designs for now. They're a little bland. Just..people. Nothing stands out about any of them at all. They don't really even stand out among themselves, honestly. I know this is somewhat harsh sounding, but I would really recommend putting more effort into making the characters look different from each other.

Prazon

Smash Cadet
What are the characters supposed to be based on? To me, they're all just people with the same skin tone, proportions, and very similar faces. I don't know how I feel about the character designs for now. They're a little bland. Just..people. Nothing stands out about any of them at all. They don't really even stand out among themselves, honestly. I know this is somewhat harsh sounding, but I would really recommend putting more effort into making the characters look different from each other.
Not harsh at all that's true criticism and I thank you for it! Will keep it in mind once the core mechanics are more or less complete :)

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Now that I'm on break from college, I'll finally have the time to try to figure out the error handle I was receiving upon download, and finally give this a try, yessss.

Prazon

Smash Cadet
Now that I'm on break from college, I'll finally have the time to try to figure out the error handle I was receiving upon download, and finally give this a try, yessss.
If you end up getting it working send me a PM i'll send you the most recent build :)

There were numerous bugs that were in the original link I posted that I've been finding and squashing. I've also done a quick redesign of the hitboxes. I'm currently working on applying that to projectiles and then I want to redesign/implement and fix up the following:

-Ledges (REDESIGN/FIX)
-SpotDodge (IMPLEMENT)
-Dash (ADDED) (Requires Dash attack variants to Fgrounds)
-Turn Around Frames for switching directions (ADDED)
-OffScreen Indicators(IMPLEMENT)
-Camera (I'd like to find a comfortable zoom level for all resolutions)

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
If you end up getting it working send me a PM i'll send you the most recent build :)

There were numerous bugs that were in the original link I posted that I've been finding and squashing. I've also done a quick redesign of the hitboxes. I'm currently working on applying that to projectiles and then I want to redesign/implement and fix up the following:

-Ledges (REDESIGN/FIX)
-SpotDodge (IMPLEMENT)
-Dash (ADDED) (Requires Dash attack variants to Fgrounds)
-Turn Around Frames for switching directions (ADDED)
Have you fixed the collisions yet? I typically fall through the floor and die if I'm in a state other than standing or running.

Prazon

Smash Cadet
I don't know what would be causing you to fall through the floor? Any builds I've run on any other PC haven't had that problem. Is it a certain stage doing it? Maybe this build will solve it for you :)

EDIT: Can't seem to get dash and turn to feel how I want them to feel if you have any suggestions please do let me know! I think I'll scrap turning for now and work on dashing

Next update will have a tweaked dash mechanic, Better camera system, Off-Screen-Indicators.

Currently dealing with a bug from the indicators.

PM Me for a demo

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
From what I saw in the above video, knockback doesn't seem to scale as much as it should, (or as it has in the Smash games) especially at lower percents.

Prazon

Smash Cadet
From what I saw in the above video, knockback doesn't seem to scale as much as it should, (or as it has in the Smash games) especially at lower percents.
Thanks I'll see if I can get it to feel better and post another video! In the meantime we began redesigning characters. Here is our first batch of designs.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Thanks I'll see if I can get it to feel better and post another video! In the meantime we began redesigning characters. Here is our first batch of designs.

Wow, I'm impressed. This is a pretty drastic improvement over the previous designs. You should be proud

Prazon

Smash Cadet
Wow, I'm impressed. This is a pretty drastic improvement over the previous designs. You should be proud
Thanks! It's surprising how much more flexibility we have when we're not trying to make them look like specific people. I can't remember if I mentioned it in the original post but it started as a LAN game for our local group of friends and each character was actually one of them. I'm glad removing that barrier has been beneficial so far. Once we get all the animations up to date on that first character I'll post the updated video after I adjust baseknockback values, hitboxes and the knockback on projectiles.

Prazon

Smash Cadet

Been working on stage art some more while the other artists finish updating the new character designs. Ignore the poorly shaded/unfinished trees. Updated the stage itself, changed platform size and positioning, Redid the background and made clouds move across the sky. Trying to add depth to the background by adding detail to things closer to the screen

EDIT:

Last edited:
Top Bottom