• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Oddesy for the Nintendo Switch Discussion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
NOTE: WILL UPDATE OP WITH NEW INFO IN TIME

In the Nintendo Switch reveal trailer we got a tease of a new Mario game. Wasn't much to go on but here's what we can infer from it.

1. It's similar to 3D world aesthetically but appears to have a full hub world with NPCs like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and to a lesser extent, Galaxy 2.
2. The Triple and Long Jump return.
3. It potentially has multiplayer.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming game?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
We never lost long jumping...

I'm going to disagree and say that the Mexican town is just part of a level. It's way too small. As a whole I think the game will be like Galaxy where the game is largely linear. The town reminds me of Toad Town from SMG actually, with all the buildings and signs being aimed at you, and the ruins area looks like it's lifted from 3D World.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rumors are now saying it'll be a launch title.

Be the first time since 64 that a big new Mario title was a launch title. And no, Luigi's mansion was a spin-off and New Super Mario Bros U wasn't big or new.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's worth noting that Mario has his goofy ass run cycle from Galaxy, which, combined with the return of the Triple Jump, leads me to believe that there will be more Galaxy influence in this title.

The hub world reminds me of Isle Delfino, though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty damn open table that we're having with this one. All sorts of mixes, though it uses 3D World's assets, which is never bad.

I have strange hunch on 64-esque successor, though with Galaxy-like linear game. But what if there was something completely new?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Here it is!

Looks amazing, though I'm not sure how I feel about regular humans being in a Mario game. The hub world looks fantastic though.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I had the biggest Grin watching this.

Also, was that thing Mario riding the Sphinx boss from Mario Land? this just keeps getting better!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So now Mario's hat is alive.

I know the whole thing about everything in the Mushroom Kingdom having eyes but where does it end? His overalls? His shoes? His... I don't wanna think about it.

Besides that, it's looking really awesome, if a little Sonic Adventure 1.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I was so happy to see how this turned out. No generic floating platforms, the potentially interesting new hat-toss mechanic, the great looking world design, Mario's expressive animations and just about everything else gave me a lot of optimism for this game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random Theory.

What if this is actually Mario's Homeworld and New Donk City was the setting of the Original Donkey Kong games?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Besides that, it's looking really awesome, if a little Sonic Adventure 1.
You're so right! Personally, I enjoy the adventure formula that's used in Sonic Adventure 1. So, that's one of the reasons why I am excited for Odyssey. The gameplay also looks extremely fun so far.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That
Random Theory.

What if this is actually Mario's Homeworld and New Donk City was the setting of the Original Donkey Kong games?
well considering Mario had at least 4 games before his first appearance in the Mushroom Kingdom in SMB(DK1 and 2, Wrecking Crew and Mario Bros.) and the fact that they never revealed the location of Mario's factory in the M v DK games, you may be right.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Random Theory.

If New Donk City is Mario's homeworld from the arcade games, why is Mario the only cartoony human in this world?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
There is an answer. the catch is that it lies in one of the few Mario games no one wants to remember.

D

Deleted member

Great trailer great looking game Bowser is a pimp who knew?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Those Rabbids rabbits though, there's something about them that we don't quite know.

Either these guys granted Bowser the suit and hat or are they lackeys forced to serve him a la The Deadly Six in Sonic Lost World.

D

Deleted member

The new Koopalings eh? Could be or their partnered with Bowser in some way like you said.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
What surprises me is that the designs of the people at New Donk City don't look more like this:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah it does seem odd seeing Mario among these, people who look like real life humans. But ah guess we'll get used to it.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sure. I guess. The hell you want me to say? I wasn't even being serious.
Or maybe also the fact that, at first glance, it's the first Mario game in a while to be full of new ideas and characters and worlds and stuff. And a wealth of Not Toads to boot.

The return of Mario's soul, if you will.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Or maybe also the fact that, at first glance, it's the first Mario game in a while to be full of new ideas and characters and worlds and stuff. And a wealth of Not Toads to boot.

The return of Mario's soul, if you will.
>quotes a four month old post and takes it seriously despite that it says I wasn't being serious

D

Deleted member

E3 is going to be good for the game, can't wait to hear more details.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So Mario can possess enemies and junk

That's interesting. I wonder how it's going to play

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What surprises me is that the designs of the people at New Donk City don't look more like this:
Yeah, it's kinda weird seeing realistically proportioned humans instead of cartoony humans. A cartoony woman, Pauline, is the mayor of a city full of realistic humans. Then again, we have a cartoony woman who rules a kingdom full of mushroom people. It's gonna take some getting used to. We also have a photorealistic dinosaur when they could have designed it after Yoshi, Birdo, Rex, Dorrie, or Plessie.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To be fair, it's far cooler to be an actual T-Rex than a giant Yoshi.
Yes... but still... it's gonna get some getting used to.

I wonder how it can be... cartoony humans and dinosaurs and realistic humans and dinosaurs in the same world. I wonder if New Donk City and that forest with the dinosaur are part of the Mushroom Kingdom or some sort of parallel world.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes... but still... it's gonna get some getting used to.

I wonder how it can be... cartoony humans and dinosaurs and realistic humans and dinosaurs in the same world. I wonder if New Donk City and that forest with the dinosaur are part of the Mushroom Kingdom or some sort of parallel world.
My theory is this is Nintendo reworking the original "Mario is a human from the real world, transported to a fantasy world" concept after Yoshi's Island made it so Mario and Luigi were always MK residents. New Donk in this case being the "real" world.

It's like Jessica Rabbit ran for Mayor.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh my goodness! Pauline looks so good in the pantsuit! I'm guessing that will be her mayor outfit while her more iconic red dress is her singer outfit. Her hat looks different from her original hat from the arcade game but it's still the same style.

I also like that Mario is wearing a costume similar to Builder Mario from Super Mario Maker... and that hat looks like the helmet he wore in Mario's Picross.

D

Deleted member

Super Mario Odyssey made E3 for me absolutely have to get Nintendo Switch, for this game that much I know for sure. But anyway Cappy enemy possession, new kingdoms and Pauline as mayor of New Donk City awesome stuff. Can't wait for more.

Top Bottom