• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Maker

Quillion

Smash Hero
SMW is the best physics-wise. You have up-throwing, incredibly smooth running and jumping, air movement that pretty much ensures that if you see a point that you think you can jump to, you'll get there.

I hope they'll make SMB1 and SMB3 Yoshi available in the future in an update. They said that they're going to release more skins eventually.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
SMW is the best physics-wise. You have up-throwing, incredibly smooth running and jumping, air movement that pretty much ensures that if you see a point that you think you can jump to, you'll get there.

I hope they'll make SMB1 and SMB3 Yoshi available in the future in an update. They said that they're going to release more skins eventually.
Yeeeah about that... Pretty sure the running and jumping is always like NSMB.

Shog

Smash Ace
SMW Physics is a reason I hack the game(or mod whatever). I wonder if I gonna get this game though...

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeeeah about that... Pretty sure the running and jumping is always like NSMB.
I believe it's been confirmed that each style accurately recreates the jumping physics from that game (aside from a few things). SMB1 is slippery, has sluggish acceleration. SMB3 is less so. SMW is perfect.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I believe it's been confirmed that each style accurately recreates the jumping physics from that game (aside from a few things). SMB1 is slippery, has sluggish acceleration. SMB3 is less so. SMW is perfect.
No. I played the thing and there wasn't any significant difference in physics. SMB1 is much more sharp and snappy then even the improved physics LL brought and SMW has actual momentum. SMW also lacks the improved underwater control. It'd be super disorientating if the main physics changed with each theme anyway.

Quillion

Smash Hero
No. I played the thing and there wasn't any significant difference in physics. SMB1 is much more sharp and snappy then even the improved physics LL brought and SMW has actual momentum. SMW also lacks the improved underwater control. It'd be super disorientating if the main physics changed with each theme anyway.
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Researching all around on this subject gives me conflicts/

Quillion

Smash Hero
So, if the official website is to be believed, Yoshi will be in SMB1...

...as an amiibo.

Seriously, if they include Luigi only as an amiibo (despite having completely functional sprites for all four games represented), I riot hard.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It'll be interesting to see what type of courses will be made once the game is finally released. I'm already thinking about what I'll do.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So, if the official website is to be believed, Yoshi will be in SMB1...

...as an amiibo.

Seriously, if they include Luigi only as an amiibo (despite having completely functional sprites for all four games represented), I riot hard.
Better start rioting...

Actually I thought I heard that you can easily unlock mystery mushrooms from playing the ten and one-hundred Mario challenges or from playing levels with mystery mushrooms, but don't quote me on that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One thing I wanna do is recreate my favorite Mario levels, in different styles

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psXWPU_qNoM

Here's day 2 of the Treehouse stream. About halfway through they mess around with romhacky red koopas on single blocks and switch between SMB and SMW and don't need to make any changes and it still works.

And I think there was an interview a while back where Takahashi was talking about how the SMB theme's physics weren't accurate... Don't remember where to look though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From watching various videos...

Mario 3 seems to be the stage where they did the least amount of upgrades and changes

Mario 1 has tons of new blocks/ decorations/ etc.

Mario 1 is probably the most changed.

I just feel like they put the less effort toward the superior of the games

ReZo-nancE

Smash Rookie
This game is going to be absolutely crazy and I'm so excited. All the stuff I've seen about it indicates that whatever comes out of this game is going to be hilarious, what with the Bowserstack, the Goomba's shoe in a clown car, the Amiibo support, and creepy skinny Mario. It's given me so many laughs and it's not even out yet.
I especially love that you can make Bill Blasters shoot coins. Ngl I cackled when I saw that on the Mario wiki page for the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In case no one has noticed yet, new videos have been uploaded onto YouTube, showcasing the new custom courses, and even the Mario Challenge game modes.

Some of the courses are quite crazy though; look at the one named "Winners don't do shrooms".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've looked at so many review copy videos, and yet I mostly see amateurish gameplay for a good portion of them. Hopefully once the game is officially released, we'll see how the much more experienced players will handle the courses that get created.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
I've looked at so many review copy videos, and yet I mostly see amateurish gameplay for a good portion of them. Hopefully once the game is officially released, we'll see how the much more experienced players will handle the courses that get created.
I know, right? I hate seeing people who play Mario that don't know there's even a run button. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know, right? I hate seeing people who play Mario that don't know there's even a run button. :p
That's pretty much Super Mario 101. Running can mean a difference between making a jump, or falling into an abyss.

I've seen scenarios where even I could've completed them without too much effort. Of course, the expert leveled courses will probably be a whole different story.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
That's pretty much Super Mario 101. Running can mean a difference between making a jump, or falling into an abyss.

I've seen scenarios where even I could've completed them without too much effort. Of course, the expert leveled courses will probably be a whole different story.
Hey btw, a little off-topic, but you wanna add my NNID? I think you'd probably like my levels, so it'd be easier to follow me if we were friends. My NNID is UltraMariio. (two i's) :)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Warning: If you ever play the expert leveled 100 Mario Challenge, beware of Kaizo courses. If you run into them, I'd suggest skipping them to avoid any unneeded frustration.

A perfect example of a Kaizo course is the one called "Underground Spin!", which was created by Noie. That very course actually took away every single life that one player had in his arsenal; he started with 91, but lost all of them trying to complete the course.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of want to recreate 1-1 from various games and play them in different styles

But, of course, I have plenty of my own original ideas.

It's going to take an annoying amount of time waiting for everything to unlock

Nintendo...why?

justaway12

Smash Master
I kind of want to recreate 1-1 from various games and play them in different styles

But, of course, I have plenty of my own original ideas.

It's going to take an annoying amount of time waiting for everything to unlock

Nintendo...why?
I think a GameXplain video said you can cheat the system by playing for five minutes, skipping a day, playing for five minute, skipping a day, and just repeating like that, but yeah, I'm not a fan of this unlock method.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to point out the following information that I've gotten down from the gameplay footage...
  • Bowser can take up to 20 hits before he falls.
  • Giant Bowser can take up to 40 hits before he falls.
  • Giant-sized shells will deal 2x more damage to Bowser than normal-sized shells.
    • Bob-omb damage is currently unknown.
  • Mario can't run through Bowser in the Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U palettes.
    • Mario can run through Bowser in the Super Mario Bros. palette.
    • I don't know if you can run through Super Mario Bros. 3 Bowser.

Last edited:

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
Here's all the amiibo costumes~ Beware if you don't wanna be spoiled

A Majong tile makes it into this game and not Daisy, lol.

Excellent. Thank you, i was hoping someone got these before the video got taken down. I just need to borrow these for something, i will give credit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The game will be out this Friday, and a lot of brainstorming has been going on in my head on the courses that I'll be making. Of course, I might not be uploading any until I have all the tools unlocked, but that won't stop me from at least getting started with making a new course.

As for course concepts that are on my mind...
Course No. | Game Style | Main Area | Sub-Area
1-1 | Super Mario Bros. | Overworld | Underground
1-2 | New Super Mario Bros. U | Overworld | Underground
1-3 | Super Mario World | Overworld | None
1-4 | Super Mario Bros. 3 | Castle | Castle
2-1 | New Super Mario Bros. U | Overworld | Underwater
2-2 | Super Mario Bros. | Overworld | Underwater
2-3 | Super Mario Bros. 3 | Overworld | None
2-4 | Super Mario World | Castle | Castle
3-1 | Super Mario Bros. 3 | Overworld | Overworld
3-2 | Super Mario World | Ghost House | Ghost House
3-3 | New Super Mario Bros. U | Overworld | None
3-4 | Super Mario Bros. | Castle | Castle
4-1 | Super Mario World | Overworld | Underground
4-2 | Super Mario Bros. 3 | Overworld | Airship
4-3 | Super Mario Bros. | Overworld | None
4-4 | New Super Mario Bros. U | Castle | Castle
Keep note that these concepts are all subject to change, but this is just part of my game plan.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm going to recreate levels from other NES games in SMB/SMB3 and try to recreate some of the Kazio Mario levels in SMW. I have no clue what I plan on making for NSMB.

I wish there was an option to switch Mario to Luigi in all 3 modes, giving him a higher jump yet poor traction like in SMB2/Lost Levels. There is a possibility that this might be a thing.

justaway12

Smash Master
I'm going to recreate levels from other NES games in SMB/SMB3 and try to recreate some of the Kazio Mario levels in SMW. I have no clue what I plan on making for NSMB.

I wish there was an option to switch Mario to Luigi in all 3 modes, giving him a higher jump yet poor traction like in SMB2/Lost Levels. There is a possibility that this might be a thing.
Yeah, before the amiibo costumes I was really hoping for a SMB2 shoutout with them having Luigi, Peach and Toad as legit playable characters with their own abilities, but I mean, even the Mario amiibo has a different Mario costume so I guess there's hope, though I won't hold my breath~

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I ordered the game, paid in full

All I have to do is wait for morning to pick it up in store

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I own the eShop version of the game, and thanks to the new software update, the course packs are being unlocked at a faster rate than before.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My copy is going to be delivered soon... Too bad I have to wait until I get back home for it.

I'm not the only one who heard about Famistu announcing that their mascot thing was going to be patched in as a costume right? Here's hoping we get some proper DLC to go with it.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm waiting for all the cool sprite rips for the game to reach the internet.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well I just got Mario Maker... but I have no idea what to create :urg:. I guess I'll try recreating levels from other games and see how that goes.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I just bought it today AND just made + uploaded one hell of a stage. Thinking about making another one before playing more online courses too! I still need to unlock the Super Mario World theme, though... I'm SURE I could make some magic happen there.

Oh, I also got the Captain Falcon skin. That got me real hype.

Last edited:

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I picked up this game today. I have been having fun with it. I unlocked all the tile pieces and have been mainly playing 100 Mario Challenge to get costumes. I have some stages in mind that I will create and upload. I am adamant about not just uploading anything. I mean I played some terrible and thoughtless and boring levels. I enjoyed the ones that the creator obviously put some thought into and not the levels that are just random stars and piranha plants.

justaway12

Smash Master
I got Mario Maker yesterday and had a lot of fun with it, I'm playing with my little sister, she sucks at the game but loves it~

I also made her a stage, it's a lot of fun playing with her lol

Top Bottom