• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Super Mario Maker: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Super Mario Maker is a very unique stage and it's actually really cool to see in action. And the Mario Maker theme is absurdly catchy.

Previously Covered
Hyrule Castle (64)
Peach's Castle (64)
Miiverse
Suzaku Castle
Dream Land (64)
Final Destination & Ω Forms
PAC-LAND
75M
Skyworld
Flat Zone X
The Great Cave Offensive
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Yoshi's Island
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Super Mario Maker is different every time you start a match. Trying to pin down a layout is futile -- ingame tips claim it has 995 possible forms.

Instead, the stage is built out of...well, building blocks, as it were. There's a ton of variety in how it can form: floating island, floating islands with pits, walkoffs, half-walkoffs, lava, ice, conveyor belts, moving platforms, floating platforms, solid platforms, destructible blocks, falling blocks, mushrooms...suffice to say there's a lot of stuff. On top of it all, the stage cycles between 4 different skins: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U. The skins are purely cosmetic and do not affect the fight, although one of the BGM tracks will change to reflect the current skin.

As a rule of thumb, anything that extends to the edge of the screen continues to the blast zone. This includes the ground, floating platforms, moving platforms, and conveyor belts. That said, the ingame camera is oddly restricted on this stage, so the screenshots below are not representative of this.

The one consistency is spawn location. Players start the match on temporary purple platforms in the sky that fade away once the fight starts. Players 1 and 2 start near the edges of the screen, while Players 3 and 4 start near the middle. The Omega form floats over a void and also cycles between the 4 skins.

The stage flattens characters into 2D projections, although the effect is not visually obvious unless the game is paused and players rotate the camera around. In terms of gameplay, this keeps all hitboxes and hurtboxes on a single plane, even when a character would normally animate into the foreground or background.

Super Mario Maker has a number of stage elements that need addressing. Some of them are destructible and will be replaced by the stage over time.

A "typical" (there's no such thing) stage in Super Mario Maker. It's not actually this trippy ingame, that's Photoshop.

The platform players spawn on.

The hand that replaces destroyed, activated, and fallen blocks. It can also be Mario's glove or a cat's paw.

Building Blocks
Some of the stage parts are pretty standard. You have your solid ground and your platforms, for starters. Pipes are also solid, with nothing fancy about them. Several parts are dynamic, however.

Brick and ? Blocks
Brick and ? Blocks can be present in the stage. Bricks can be broken by jumping into them from below, including Luma and Pikmin, or by taking 6% damage. ? Blocks can likewise be jumped into, but will also activate upon any hit regardless of damage. If items are enabled, ? Blocks will release an item when hit, with a higher chance to release items from the Super Mario series.

Blocks can be located over gaps in the stage. If a player finds themselves underneath, they can still recover normally since the blocks break on contact with the bottom.

Once a block is destroyed or used, a hand wielding a stylus will later appear to replace any missing blocks. The timing varies and is possibly tied to how the stage cycles through the skins instead of counting down from the moment a block is hit.

The Super Mario World skin uses Flip Blocks instead of normal brick blocks, but they function identically. Unlike normal Flip Blocks, they will not stop spinning on their own and must be replaced by the hand.

Donut Blocks

Donut Blocks are a recurring Mario obstacle. In this stage, they start to fall after about a second of cumulative pressure. That is to say, if you dash back and forth across a row of Donut Blocks, eventually they'll start to fall.

Fallen Donut Blocks are also replaced by the hand.

Moving Platforms

Some platforms move. Their path is indicated by gray lines in the background. If the path goes offscreen, that means the platform will continue to the blast zone and kill players standing on it at the time before coming back. Platform speed is constant.

Conveyor Belts
Moving conveyor belts can be embedded in the ground or floating in the air. Like everything else, if one extends off the edge of the screen then it will continue to the blast zone. However, the conveyor belts will not force a player to fall off the end. If one is at the ledge, it will also be grabbable.

Lava
Pits of lava can take up the bottom of the screen, or fill a hole in a floating stage. Contact does 25% damage with strong vertical knockback sufficient to kill Mario at 103%. Luma and Red Pikmin are immune to lava. Lava counts as a solid surface if you touch it while invincible.

Ice
Sheets of ice can occupy the ground. They can take up only part of the surface, or they can extend all the way to either side. If it forms a ledge, it will be grabbable.

Course World
With that out of the way, here's a small sampling of some stages observed during data collection and testing.

A fairly tame layout, all things considered. The wooden blocks are solid.

The donut blocks can be jumped through from below.

The mushroom is solid from above, with a grabbable ledge, but can be jumped through from below. The stalk is not solid.

A hilariously small amount of space to fight in.

Ice is slippery, to no one's surprise. The gray path gives away a platform that's currently off-camera.

The left platform moves up and down.

The conveyor belt here extends all the way to the blast zone.

Summary
  • Don't bother trying to nail down a consistent layout. Just don't.
  • In general, anything that extends offscreen goes all the way to the blast zone.
  • Stage is 2D, everything is flat.
  • Brick Blocks are breakable, ? Blocks release items.
  • Donut Blocks fall if you stand on them too much.
  • Ice is slippery. (Surprise!)
  • Lava is dangerous, kills Mario at 103%.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
While I was playing it, it seemed as though in Mario World form, the blocks (as spinning blocks and thus not really destructible) had a correspondingly shorter "respawn" time.

Coincidence/unfamiliarity with the regular brick's respawn time, or relevant function of the skin change?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
While I was playing it, it seemed as though in Mario World form, the blocks (as spinning blocks and thus not really destructible) had a correspondingly shorter "respawn" time.

Coincidence/unfamiliarity with the regular brick's respawn time, or relevant function of the skin change?
It may vary a bit maybe? That seems to be a running theme with a lot of stage timers, they're rarely exact values but more "X +/- Y". (I did notice the music changing for each form oddly fast sometimes when I was taking notes, but I wasn't timing those instances so...yeah.) The timer does seem to start once you first break a block, so you can break one, wait 15 seconds, break another, and it'll look like it only took 15 seconds for that second one to be replaced.

I can poke around a bit later if I remember. Right now I'm heating dinner.

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Interesting tidbit, the race of the person who fixes the destroyed blocks can change. I assume it's related to the system mii.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
You will regain your second jump if hurt by lava.

Bricks can be damaged from the top unlike some Mario levels. A ZZS type dair can lead to a SD

Attempting a recovery on a Donut block as it falls will cut most Mario type recovery characters recovery in half (if not 100%). I think this is due to the game getting confused about you still being attached to the donut block.

Also Smash 4 doesn't have that much stages with slopes (stay jelly real Super Mario Maker) so it's kinda fun to mess with them and see what combos can be done because of them

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure what to think of the legality of this stage. It can be really really fun. I've played on some really interesting stage formations. But it can also be more illegal then shooting the god damn president. This stage would have been so much better if it was possible to "Favourite" your most beloved stage formations. Then you could pick from one of those formations. Heck, I wouldn't be angry if you'd only be able to pick from 10 different ones. It would be a lot better. I can see this stage taking up a lot of time in tournaments. "Reset, this stage formation is bad" would probably be repeated to ad nauseum. It would poosibly also spawn a new generation of Johns. Where the loser exclaims "Nuh uh! This formation was illegal! Rematch rematch". It will be interesting to see the legality of this stage. The mario maker stage combined with this huge new patch will stir up the meta.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I really want to have this stage legal, but the randomness leads to lopsided layouts and strange placements of solid platforms. As much as I think it could be legal, I just don't really like it. Still, the idea of counterpicking to a gamble is interesting. It's not much more random than the starting form/path of transforming stages.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I really want to have this stage legal, but the randomness leads to lopsided layouts and strange placements of solid platforms. As much as I think it could be legal, I just don't really like it. Still, the idea of counterpicking to a gamble is interesting. It's not much more random than the starting form/path of transforming stages.
I agree with you. But I can't say that I full out don't like the stage. I sometimes get actually interesting and fun stage formations. And I sometimes get stage formations that makes me dropkick a toddler.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's a bit like Gamer, in that its nicer forms range from legal to borderline (or legal for liberals like me), while its worst forms aren't even fun for casual play. Still, thematically, I quite enjoy it.

Last edited:

SwordM13X24

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sword
3DS FC
4227-4395-5715
There's a glitch with Ike if ya use his Custom 2 Neutral Special (Tempest) on top of a brick block.
When Ike stabs the brick block and destroys it, Ike will be sent up a rather high altitude.
Not sure if it's a 3DS only glitch or it occurs on both versions.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Raijinken Raijinken so it turns out you were right, I was mucking around today and the hand replaced some broken blocks pretty damn fast. My new working theory is that there are specific times at which the stage looks to see if any blocks need replacing and spawns the hand if needed. Possibly it's timed so that it happens roughly in the middle of any given skin.

Top Bottom