• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct Summary

Direct.jpg

Continuing the trend of dropping news completely out of nowhere, Nintendo has just uploaded a roughly 16 minute Direct focused on the 35th anniversary of the Mario series. You can watch the full Direct here:

There was a lot to showcase in this Direct so you can catch the full text summary below in the order that each item appeared in:
  • Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. Edition (Releasing November 13th 2020)
    • A small Game & Watch portable system that includes the original Super Mario Bros. as well as The Lost Levels. Also includes a unique Mario themed clock and an updated version of the G&W game Ball featuring Mario.
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Releasing February 12th 2021)
    • A port of the Wii U's Super Mario 3D World that includes something known as Bowser's Fury. No information has been given on this new feature apart from the teaser at the end of the trailer.
  • Super Mario 35 (Releasing October 1st 2020)
    • A new Mario VS. game where 35 people compete against each other. Free to Nintendo Switch Online Subscribers and available up until March 31st 2021.
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit (Releasing October 16th 2020)
    • A new Mario Kart game where you can race using RC cars.
  • Various Mario events
    • Mario themed My Nintendo missions which can get you rewards like an exclusive pin set.
    • Mario and Donkey Kong Jr. sprites from the original Mario Kart appearing in Mario Kart Tour (available September 8th).
    • Official Mario 35th anniversary merchandise available at the Nintendo World Store in NYC.
    • A 35th anniversary speedrun course for Super Mario Maker 2 (Releasing November 2020).
    • A Super Mario themed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament (Taking place sometime later this year).
    • A Mario-themed Splatfest in Splatoon 2 (Taking place in January 2021).
    • Super Mario themed furniture for Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Releasing in March 2021).
    • A variety of Mario themed clothes, board games, and other knick knacks from various companies.
  • Super Mario All-Stars (Releasing today as part of Nintendo Switch Online)
    • The SNES versions of Super Mario Bros. 1-3 as well The Lost Levels (AKA the Japanese version of SMB2)
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Releasing September 18th 2020)
    • A three-game collection which includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Includes new resolutions and a music listener mode.
    • Both the physical and digital versions will only be available for a limited time up until March 31st 2021.

Direct 3D.jpg

Needless to say, fans of the legendary mustachioed plumber have a lot to look forward to in these coming months. Fans can already get started with the Mario 35th Anniversary celebration by trying Super Mario All-Stars which releases today for Nintendo Switch Online members.

Author’s Note: What was your favorite part of the Mario Direct? Which of the three 3D games in the collection are you most excited to play? Also how do you feel about the limited release schedule for 3D All-Stars? Let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Social Media
(@Zerp)

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

Bad news: The gem of the Direct, the 3D Remasters, were the laziest, most minimal effort.
Good news: Everything else. Nintendo just put my wallet on suicide watch.

Aside from the questionable limited availability of 3D Collection, this was a wonderful surprise. I honestly thought this was leakbait after waiting for it since Easter's rumours. Glad to be wrong!

Having the ability to play 5/7 3D Mario titles on one console is outstanding and may have just cemented the Switch as my favourite console to date. Yes, I know the Wii U could also do that but hush.

Aside from the questionable limited availability of 3D Collection, this was a wonderful surprise. I honestly thought this was leakbait after waiting for it since Easter's rumours. Glad to be wrong!

Having the ability to play 5/7 3D Mario titles on one console is outstanding and may have just cemented the Switch as my favourite console to date. Yes, I know the Wii U could also do that but hush.
Wii U couldn't play Sunshine, Odyssey, or 3D Land. Galaxy 1-2, 3D World, and 64. That's 4/7.

So Switch does have the edge. Cause Odyssey

I'm surprised that there's no collaboration between Super Mario and Dragalia Lost, the latter of which ALSO has its anniversary this month.

im not usually one for ports of mario games, though there is something tempting about sunshine. still those amiibo look nice

I'm buying it as soon as it's out, so it's whatever, but I didn't understand why the 3D collection is only available thru March. Tf why? Afaik no other Switch game is pulled after a time.

For sure excited though, Sunshine was my first Mario game and is still my favorite. It's got to be at least a decade since I played it or Galaxy, and I never had the chance to play the original 64 game.

Ports! Ports everywhere!

Never had a Wii U so I might be interested in 3D World. And I never got a Wii either, but I have problems with the 3D trilogy : why not the improvements of Mario 64 DS? and where is Galaxy 2? I won't buy that. Someday, I'll rather buy a Wii and find the original games.

Not interested in the rest.

Im getting that all-stars game, 100%ed 64 and galaxy but never played Sunshine, also higher res sounds nice

also thx now I don't have to watch the video

Last edited:
Feels barebone, but I still really want to get it :)
I do have the games, but I want them again :D

Last edited:
Ports! Ports everywhere!

Never had a Wii U so I might be interested in 3D World. And I never got a Wii either, but I have problems with the 3D trilogy : why not the improvements of Mario 64 DS? and where is Galaxy 2? I won't buy that. Someday, I'll rather buy a Wii and find the original games.

Not interested in the rest.
Because 64 DS was a rather extensive remake, not a collection. To the point that it's dubious calling it the same game when you have three new characters, two new abilities, 30 new stars, and only one ! button. These were never supposed to be that. Expecting them to completely overhaul two to three games like that is a bit much.

So, instead of buy it, you'd rather buy a whole new console and track down the games to buy separately so that you can play them in worse quality?

Last edited:
Because 64 DS was a rather extensive remake, not a collection. To the point that it's dubious calling it the same game when you have three new characters, two new abilities, 30 new stars, and only one ! button. These were never supposed to be that. Expecting them to completely overhaul two to three games like that is a bit much.

So, instead of buy it, you'd rather buy a whole new console and track down the games to buy separately so that you can play them in worse quality?
If I had none of this games, of course not. But I have Mario 64, Mario 64 DS, and Sunshine, all finished and completed except for Sunshine's blue coins. I think Mario Galaxy is easy to find, and there are other titles on the Wii that I'm interested in, starting with Galaxy 2.

Last edited:
SUNSHINE?! 35 PLAYER MARIO?! GALAXY?! 64?! NEW 3D WORLD AWESOME CONTE-voice goes so high I break the world-

Top Bottom