• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. 3 vs Super Mario World

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Compare and contrast Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Both of these iconic games are impactful and are talked about a lot to this day. Which of these two classics do you think is better and why? What are certain advantages one game in particular has over the other?

I personally love both games, Super Mario Bros. 3 introduced cool items like the tanooki suit, and Super Mario World introduced Yoshi.

FF8929C3-FFC5-4242-BB3B-343055C6082E.jpeg

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't know which one is the best and I love both games, but I prefer Super Mario World. It's prettier, there is Yoshi, the map is funnier than the separate worlds, there is Yoshi, several levels have a secret exit... and there is Yoshi. Not many suits compared to Super Mario Bros. 3, yes, but Yoshi is so damn cute, and fun, and useful, and adorable. Yoshi for president!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I like Super Mario World more because of the freedom you have with the cape and Yoshi. Sure Super Mario Bros. 3 has a **** ton of power ups and creative worlds that Super Mario World doesn't have, but in Super Mario World it feels like you have more control over Mario especially when you're in the air with a cape or Yoshi.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Super Mario World for me. The freedom you have among the large levels is unparalleled among 2D Marios. Mario's base moveset & control, the Cape, Yoshi, and storing power ups that you can switch using the Select button offers a lot of flexibility. The large amount of secrets also make it lot of fun to just explore and experiment. Also greater boss diversity.

Mario 3 has more power ups, level/music themes, and offers more challenge, but that's where it kind of stops for me. If there is one NES game I wish had a battery save, it would be this. Also it does have the more satisfying Fire Flower power up.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Never actually played either but I really should. Since I tend to see a lot more praise for Mario World I should probably start with that one. Plus I just like Yoshi.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I vote for Mario 3, easy. I love all the different power-ups and settings, especially Giant Land and Ice Land. Mario World has Yoshi, but there are only two real power-ups and the levels are kind of samey. There's no real difference between Donut Plains and Chocolate Island, for example, or between Vanilla Dome and the Valley of Bowser. The cape isn't as cool or user-friendly as the raccoon leaf, either.

Mario 3's big problem is that it doesn't save... on NES. I grew up with the All-Stars version, so that was never a problem for me.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Why do people say Super Mario world is Very Impactful the only things it introduces are Ghost houses, Clown Cars, Yoshi and some Enemys and Gimmicks! Super Mario bros 3 introduced 8 important World Themes, The Koopaling, Tanooki, Boom Boom, Maps, Toad houses, ChainChomps and other Iconic Enemys and lots more

Super mario World is still a lot of Fun

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
To be fair, Mario World probably has better controls, plus it lets you do cool stuff like throwing shells upward. Mario 3 feels a little stiffer. If I had to pick one thing (besides Yoshi) that Mario World has over Mario 3, it would be that.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

I ask any and every one who is well acquainted with the Mario universe: What are the three most essential games to play given that I have already played Super Mario Bros., Yoshi's Island, and Mario Paint (I know that hardly counts)?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I didn't like either very much. I'm more of a Yoshi's Island man myself.
Oh yeah, if Yoshi's Island counts as a 2D Mario, then it's easily the best one.

Someday, Nintendo will bring back YI's underground theme in a new game, and then I can die happy.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I’m leaning towards Super Mario World because not only does it have Mario and Luigi, but also Yoshi as well as those cape power ups. There’s also the fun secret areas in Super Mario World that you might not see at first when you start playing the game for the first time, but soon after discover them as you replay the game. On a personal level, it’s my favorite Super Mario game besides Super Mario 64. I grew up with both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World a lot and have fond memories of them. I must say though, Super Mario Bros. 3 does impress me with its innovation. It certainly was innovative when it first came out and since then has aged incredibly well. I also find it more challenging compared to Super Mario World, especially with the final world; in that regard, hardcore gamers will find that aspect really exciting. I understand the appeal of Super Mario Bros. 3 for its innovation and the fact that it has more power ups. Though my favorite power ups are Metal Mario from Super Mario 64 and the cape power up from Super Mario World.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Growing up I got an NES from my dad and a N64 when I turned 8 or 9 so I went straight from Super Mario Bros to Mario 64 without playing either game. It wasn't until SMB3 was rereleased on the GBA that I dove in for the first time. It was amazing, best Mario memories of my life at the time. Eventually I got a SNES and played SMW but it just didn't hit like SMB3 did. I wonder if I played them in reverse order if I would favor SMW more.

But as it stand, SMB3 for me

volbound1700

Smash Master
SMB3 for me. IMO, it is one of the best games ever made. It was a HUGE jump up in the industry for platformers and set the tone for future games. It was as impactful as SMB1.

SMW is a great game though. They are probably the best two Marios (at least 2D).

If you went with 3D Marios, Galaxy 1 is my favorite followed closely by Mario 64.

Top Bottom