• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario 3D World - Nintendo Wii U

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Didin't see any one post any thing bout it yet so i thought i would.

In a few week's Super Mario Bros 3D world will be released.

I just ordered a wii u and am getting ready to pre-order a copy of super mario 3D world.

Who else is going to pre-order or get a copy of Super Mario Bros 3D world?

will be released on November 22, 2013.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I can't wait until Christmas, man. Unlike the New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U games, the game is visually unique and interesting. Though if the Game Grumps end up playing it I can guarantee Arin will say that the enemies and visual style is unoriginal or something. But I don't care because what matters is that everyone controls differently, which'll be very fun indeed.

btw I said Christmas cause I don't have a Wii U but I'm getting one as a gift

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I can't wait until Christmas, man. Unlike the New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U games, the game is visually unique and interesting. Though if the Game Grumps end up playing it I can guarantee Arin will say that the enemies and visual style is unoriginal or something. But I don't care because what matters is that everyone controls differently, which'll be very fun indeed.

btw I said Christmas cause I don't have a Wii U but I'm getting one as a gift

I agree i think it will be very fun and unique and interesting,I just got a wii u 8gb..I was going to wait till christmas but couldn't.Don't have any games to play on it yet waiting for super mario 3d world.

I am tho going to buy some extras for christmas for the wii u.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Gosh darnit, this looks by far to be the best release on the Wii U yet...which I do not have (and don't plan on getting either).

But I did laugh a little when I heard that Rosalina was the next playable character. While I am welcome to her addition, it makes me think of just how much Nintendo hates Daisy. It's been how many years without a canon appearance and Rosalina has almost doubled hers?

And I doubt there will be DLC characters. Just saying.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've played 3D Land, so it'll be nice to see what 3D World will have to offer. However, I do find it pretty odd that there are winged Dry Bones', and yet no Koopa Paratroopas are present.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm pretty excited for this. Every time I think "maybe it'll be another Mario" I remember how much of a blast 3DLand was.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This game is great! I'm on World 6 right now. It's actually quite amazing how well they combined the aspects of the 2D Mario Platforms with the 3D Mario Platforms.
The level designs are great and it's back to that linear design from the 2D games, but with 3D platforming shenanigans.

The physics of both game types are somewhat merged as well! Though it is a 3D game, you have a run button, and your character starts off at a slow speed and picks up speed the longer you run. This affects the distance you jump, and some jumps are hard to clear without a running start! So in addition to having the challenge of jumping platforms in a 3D space, you now have the momentum factor that makes the 2D Mario games so thrilling.

You have almost all the special jumps from the 3D Mario games. The Sideways Somersault, the Long Jump, Wall Jump, and even the Spin Jump makes a return from Super Mario Sunshine! The Backwards Somersault has been combined with the super crouch jump from Super Mario Bros 2. You must hold the crouch to charge it, and when you release it, your character does the somersault. Triple jump is actually missing from this game, and there is no spin attack from the Galaxy Games, so get back int he habit of preparing your jumps. You don't have much room to correct again!

It amazes me that all the jumps are surprisingly balanced. That is, there is not a jump that overshadows all the other jumps in functionality:

-The max speed -> jump is the best jump technically, but it requires you to reach top running speed first which makes it not always feasible.
-The Sideways Somersault grants you a little more height than a normal jump, but you lose distance.
-Backwards Somersault is better than Sideways but now has to be charged SMB2 style.
-The Long Jump gives you the same distance as the max speed jump, but has even less height than a Normal Jump.
-The Spin Jump is the Highest Jump and you float on the way down! However, to set up the spin jump, you have to rotate the joystick 720 degrees, so it takes some time and you have to have some wiggle room, and like the Somersaults, you lose distance which you can cover.

Even the characters are pretty well balanced:

-Peach isn't stupid OP like in SMB2. Her float's duration is too short now. I mostly used it to correct my jumps, kind of comparable to using the spin attack mid-air in SMG, but slightly better. Since Peach has a low acceleration in this game, she kind of needs that float to cross some jumps anyways.

-Mario is the most well rounded character. Playing him will let you feel the full force or "true intentions" of each level. While each character has clear advantages over certain challenges and weaknesses to other level designs. Mario kind of has to deal with all of them equally.

-I've played Luigi the least. Surprisingly, his sliding isn't as prominent as in the Galaxy games. He feels very similar to Mario except he jumps higher. He might even be a better character to choose instead of Mario, but I need to play him some more.

-And Toad is definitely going to be the character of choice for speed runners and players who like to zip through stages. He has amazing acceleration, and that actually helps him with leaping across gaps. But still, Toad has the shortest jump. It's vertical platforming that really kills Toad.

The Difficulty has been tweaked well from previous games too:

-Extra Lives aren't stupidly easy to get anymore (though they're still very easy) as in the New SMB series. Everyone on the team now shares the same life count, preventing the exclusion that happens when the lesser player is getting dragged about in the final levels. If the better player(s) doesn't take care of the weaker, the whole team will suffer.

-They also fixed bubbling so that it's not super cheap/OP/basically CHEAT button! YOU CANNOT BUBBLE IN THE AIR (thank god!) If you make a mistake and plummet to your death, you have to accept it! Meanwhile, the bubble is still useful if your being left behind by your friends.

-Reaching the top of a flag pole no longer automatically awards you with a 1-up. If you are playing with 2 or more, when EVERYONE happens to reach the top, then the team gets a single 1-up! In 1-player mode though, you're out of luck!

-If you get a power-up while already at full power, you store the item for later Super Mario World style and access it by pressing the (-) button. If you are playing multi-player, you get a power-up slot for each player you have and every player can access all the power-up slots. This actually makes the game a little easier than I would like, but because most of our deaths have been falling, it doesn't really make the game that easy. Mostly, we use this to prevent jerks from robbing everyone of power-ups.

The downsides to the game:

-You pick up players with the run button. This sucks because it is easy to accidentally pick up another player by running past them. It's also particularly dangerous because you can no longer bubble in the air. If you get tossed off, well... you're gonna die...

-This is more of a critique on the theme of the game; a critique of the game artistically. I understand that Mario is a series meant for all ages, but I hate hearing the characters yell "Meow!". Makes me very aware that I'm a 23 year old playing a game targeted towards children first, then "family and veterans etc." second.

That's really it for my critiques. The game is really good! There are several nods to veteran players that are great, but I won't spoil them here. This should be a staple for all Wii U owners.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I go and make this grandiose post about how balanced the cast is, and then MyDadsACop123 shows me how much better Peach is than everyone else ROFL. Pro Tip: She can float out of the spin jump which eliminates her weakness of a terrible jump. Roll before you normal jump to hover long distances (not to be confused with long jump). And you can float after a wall jump, allowing you to reach the top of walls that you're only supposed to have access with the cat suit. (Places Luigi can't even reach).

[collapse="Playing as Rosalina"]Rosalina controls just like Peach but trades the float for the Galaxy Spin. Rosalina is probably the best character in the game. While Peach can't float after a long jump, Rosalina can Galaxy Spin after one, letting her reach distances no one else in the game can. The Galaxy Spin is just a really good attack in general. Rosalina's drawback is that she loses the Galaxy Spin when she dawns any suit (eg. Fire Suit, Tanooki, Cat, etc.) which just leaves you with a crappy Peach that can't float.[/collapse]

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ugh, I hate how this is pretty much Galaxy 2.0.

When can we have the old explorational 3D Mario games like 64 and Sunshine? Give us 64 2.0, damn it!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant that in the sense of Brawl 2.0, not a literal sequel.
Except it isn't. The gameplay is based on 3D Land, which is a mixture of 3D Mario abilities, with 2D Mario level design and power-up implementation.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Except it isn't. The gameplay is based on 3D Land, which is a mixture of 3D Mario abilities, with 2D Mario level design and power-up implementation.
And 3D Land itself represents the logical progression that Galaxy represented: from full exploration of a large level to a point A-to-B challenge.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And 3D Land itself represents the logical progression that Galaxy represented: from full exploration of a large level to a point A-to-B challenge.
Not really. 3D Land was playing off of 2D Mario nostalgia. Even the back of the box states this.

Honestly, 3D World's exact mechanics would be perfect for an open-ended game, and it actually had some open ended levels. There is no problem with how the game plays.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not really. 3D Land was playing off of 2D Mario nostalgia. Even the back of the box states this.

Honestly, 3D World's exact mechanics would be perfect for an open-ended game, and it actually had some open ended levels. There is no problem with how the game plays.
Sprawling Savanna wasn't an open-ended level. There's a lot of walking room, but it wasn't the kind that 64 and Sunshine had.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sprawling Savanna wasn't an open-ended level. There's a lot of walking room, but it wasn't the kind that 64 and Sunshine had.
But you easily could within the 3D World engine. They don't have to change how Mario functions or how the power ups do to make an open ended Mario game, because 3D World did it all perfectly. All they have to do to make an open ended game is make the levels open ended.

Sprawling Savannah is an open ended level. It has an end point, but there are a lot of ways you can go and a lot of things you can find.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I love this game solely because Rosalina is in it. Was so hyped when I found out.
Also, I agree about the game being a bit too straightforward, but then again, I do own 64 and Sunshine.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But you easily could within the 3D World engine. They don't have to change how Mario functions or how the power ups do to make an open ended Mario game, because 3D World did it all perfectly. All they have to do to make an open ended game is make the levels open ended.

Sprawling Savannah is an open ended level. It has an end point, but there are a lot of ways you can go and a lot of things you can find.
I know, but the game just went with the linear style anyway. You don't search every nook and cranny to find stuff or complete missions; you just complete one level and move onto the next.

Slashdash12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slashdash12
3DS FC
1091-9725-3648
Great Game, get to play it all over again, because my sibling deleted my data. Wish me luck

ccllr

Smash Cadet
By far one of the least fun 3D Mario to date. God. It was a mess in so many aspects:

- Lack of Anti aliasing is so frustrating to the point it affects the experience
- Glossy, plastic textures is just ugly. Please, stop using it Nintendo
- Multiplayer is just an unfun mess
- The whole game lacks difficulty until the very last levels
- Cheap replay value (UH! WHAT ABOUT MAKING THE PEOPLE CLEAR THE GAME FIVE TIMES TO SAY WE HAVE ACTUAL CONTENT)

I love Mario and I love 3D Mario games. But this was just bad. Sorry.

Top Bottom