• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Fun "Glitch": Play As Two Characters at Once! (Tutorial and Many Images Included!)

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

I'd report this as a bug if it weren't so game-changing and fun, but as the title suggests, you can play as two characters at once!

What is this exactly?
This "glitch" enables a player to act as both Player 1 and Player two with one Gamecube controller.

What you need.
At least two Gamecube controllers.
Project M (obviously)

How to do this yourself!

1. Load up Project M and head over to Solo Mode, Stadium, and then Home Run Contest on your SECOND (player 3/4) controller, NOT as player 1. Note the configuration of the controllers. A controller can NOT be in the Player 2 port, so use 3 or 4 for the secondary controller.

2. Make sure that your secondary controller is Player 1 in the Home-Run Contest mode. Make sure that your Player 1 controller is actually Player 2 in this mode.

3. Start the Home-Run Contest. You have to start the minigame for this to work. However, once you start, you can immediately exit, so do that unless you feel like playing the mode first. Make sure to leave the character configuration exactly as you had it upon leaving the mode. (I.E. DON'T deselect your characters)

4. Now things can start getting interesting. After leaving the Home-Run Battle mode, your chosen characters will be saved as Player 1 and Player 2. This is where the "glitch" happens. Immediately go to a Versus mode (not sure if it works with Special Versus yet). I recommend doing this on the player 1 controller.

5. You'll notice right away that your characters from the HRC are loaded up in the queue as Player 1 and Player 2; however, we do not have a Player 2 controller if you have been following this correctly. Therefore, Player 1 has control of BOTH Player 1 AND Player 2! Feel free to change your characters and whatever before you start fighting, but note that it's going to be cumbersome because you'll be controlling both of the cursors at once! (Try moving them to the top right corner to get them in one spot.)

Just to clarify, your secondary controller is Player 3 and will register as such, and can be taken out at this point.

6. Before starting, I recommend that you change the battle to a Team Battle and turn team attack off. This will allow you to successfully utilize both characters. You can use the Player 3 controller to change settings if you have a hard time doing so with the Player 1 controller in this case.

7. Get Smashing!!

Here are some screenshots of dual-character gameplay!

You can do this with Giga Bowser as well! Simply hold R and it'll register it for both players!

Thank you guys for reading, and I hope you get a kick out of literally double-teaming your opponents!

NOTES TO REMEMBER
-This can be done with GC controllers in both P3 and P4 slots, but NOT P2, so you can devastate your friends!
-You CAN control DIFFERENT characters at the same time. I just find it easier to use two of the same.
-I heavily recommend playing on maps that have a wall (especially Training Stage) so you can gather your two characters together and attack as one.
-Try not to get separated! You may end up self-destructing one if not BOTH of your characters! Plus it's hard if not impossible for the brain to try to multitask on two far away entities. I recommend playing your dual characters like Ice Climbers.
-If you DO get separated, and when your characters are facing towards each other, you can take advantage of it by closing in with projectiles, or double spin-dashing into your opponent!
-Try landing two hitbox-based attacks at once, such as Rest!
-Have fun!

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Oh my goodness. This is the best ever. Thank you sooooooo much for shareing. This is seriously the best.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
This glitch can be also performed simply by plugging in a GC remote into the 2nd controller port, going into training mode with any character using the GC remote, leaving, and going into versus.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
so this doesn't work no vBrawl?
As far as I know, no. :c

Oh my goodness. This is the best ever. Thank you sooooooo much for shareing. This is seriously the best.
No problem!

This glitch can be also performed simply by plugging in a GC remote into the 2nd controller port, going into training mode with any character using the GC remote, leaving, and going into versus.
Wow thanks for sharing this as well!

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I swear, PMBR if you patch this...
Considering I like to sometimes test things with both the GC remote and Wiimote, it's kind of annoying to have one suddenly control two cursors.

It's a funny glitch, but it's not like it accomplishes anything.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Considering I like to sometimes test things with both the GC remote and Wiimote, it's kind of annoying to have one suddenly control two cursors.

It's not like it's unavoidable either.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

Very true. I'm living on a school campus and one of my hallmates and I happened to stumble upon this after playing HRC mode for the lols without noticing the lack of a P2 controller. Now people are either dominating others or killing themselves by trying to turn other characters into Ice Climbers. xD

Bazkip

Smash Master
This is in the known issues/bug list thread, in fact it's the first item. Thought more people would've known about it, actually, seems like the sorta thing that would make the rounds in the community.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
You can do this in training as well in 3.0 cause no matter what controller port your controller is in it will always be regestered as player one. Though I have not tested it with 3.01 or 02.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I'll probably post more screenshots for the heck of it. Double characters are pretty awesome :3

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
2 recievers and a wavebird works for this too, and you can do it with any smash game.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
2 recievers and a wavebird works for this too, and you can do it with any smash game.
Yeah, I just used that in conjunction with this glitch to have Trike (Tiple Ike) Climbers battles. Was fun.

Top Bottom