• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Fighting Robots!! 2nd Mega Man Character Thread

Which Mega Man character would you like to be playable in Smash next the Original Mega Man Himself?

• Total voters

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
So, I was awake last night from sheer boredom, and I came up with a really dumb idea for a character... or should I say, characters.
See, the idea of this one would be that you would play as a group of Robot Masters - all of which I'd say should be from the same game.
However, I was kinda torn between which to add - so I at first went with the Robot Masters from Megaman II. After all, some of the abilities already in the game work fairly well here... then again, there's Flashman, who would stop time completely - so obviously broken.
As such, I chose Megaman III. There's a variety of available Robot Masters with very interesting, but not broken, abilities. They're below -
- Needle Man
- Magnet Man
- Gemini Man
- Hard Man
- Top Man
- Snake Man
- Spark Man
- Shadow Man

Here's a quick idea of how they each play.

Needle Man is a fairly slow bruiser, of a mid-heavy weight. His Side-B involves him leaping sideways headfirst, using the needles on his head as an attack. Up-B involves him basically floating for a bit, shooting needles below him. However, it doesn't have much vertical range, relying on horizontal range instead. Notably, his moves are mostly multi-hit, due to the nature of needles being a multi-hit attack.

Magnet Man differs from most here, as his Side-B is actually his Magnet Missile. His Neutral-B is actually somewhat similar to PSI Magnet. It absorbs projectiles, but has a slightly larger hitbox in a specific region - which draws other fighters in, kind of like Ganondorf's Up-Tilt. Furthermore, if used without absorbing, it has very little lag, and can be used to quickly change spacing. Note - he does take some damage from projectiles in this state, and there's quite a lot of lag if he does absorb the projectiles. His Up-B is basically a float, which can be in reference to how he supposedly sticks to ceilings in his sleep. Furthermore, this dragging mechanic is used in his Smash attacks.

Gemini Man has a similar circumstance to Magnet Man, in that his equipable attack is his Side-B. His Neutral-B summons a clone of him, which then works in a similar way to Ice Climbers. However, it has a limit - it can only be present for 10 seconds, requires a short period of time to recharge, and will be destroyed if it takes over 50%. Furthermore, if it takes damage, so does Gemini Man - but the knockback isn't transferred. His Up-B is basically Naruto's from Super Smash Flash 2 - he summons a clone, which kicks him upward. These clones appear in a lot of his moves, too - specifically his throws.

Hard Man plays a lot like Bowser. He's slow, heavy, and relies on dishing out single, heavy hitting attacks. His Neutral-B is Hard Knuckle, which works more like the source material as opposed to how it works in Megaman's moveset - that is, being a horizontal projectile, that can be aimed up or down during movement, like Zelda's Side-B. His Side-B, however, is a huge jump, which works kind of like you'd imagine Dedede's Up-B to work if he jumped sideways. His Up-B is basically Dedede's, however - albeit with the drop as a part that remains, regardless of inpits.

Top Man is a combo-centric, mid-range character - kind of like Sonic perhaps? - who relies on his speed in order to take out opponents. His Neutral-B is basically Meta Knight's, but also reflects projectiles. His Side-B throws spinning tops, kind of like R.O.B's, but not as items. They as such can't be picked up. Lastly, his Up-B is a variant of Donkey Kong's. Notably, most of his attacks revolve around spinning (pun intended) and also reflect his passion for physical activities like rollerskating.

Snake Man is fairly fast and lightweight, and has a very low profile, making some moves like ZSS's Side Smash go straight over him. His Neutral-B is his Search Snake, which works a little like Bowser Jr's Down-B, but can also go on any surface, including the bottom of stages, up walls, and such before exploding. His Side-B is similar to Greninja's, but he digs beneath the ground and essentially uses Knuckles' attack (albeit a little weaker.) This can't be used in the air, however. His Up-B is basically Lucas' grab.

Spark Man is a midrange, all around character, similar perhaps to Pikachu. His attacks mostly centre around electricity. Neutral-B is Spark Shock, a simple projectile that stun when they hit a fighter (like Corrin's) but are fairly slow to fire, albeit fast when they actually do get fired. His Side-B is an original move that throws him forward, kind of like Diddy Kong's. When he hits, he performs two electrically powered punches that stun the fighter it's used on, then launch them away. Lastly, his Up-B works like Lucario's, but uses electricity, and has an electrical hitbox across it's entire path.

Shadow Man is a character very similar in technique to Sheik - a fast midweight, designed around combos, but lacking kill potential and knockback on many attacks. His Neutral-B is Shadow Blade, which works just like in his source material. Notably, it is more powerful than Metal Blade, and slightly faster, but can only be thrown in 5 directions (as in the original game when equipped by Megaman.) His Side-B has him summon a robotic frog, which latches onto characters and explodes, again like Bowser Jr's Down-B. However, they jump, and charging them allows three sizes - a small frog, maybe the size of a Pokeball, a medium one, perhaps the size of Pichu, and a large one, the size of Bowser. His Up-B summons a smokescreen around him, and then he teleports within this in any direction.

However, their base character is an interesting pick - Protoman. Protoman is the character you start with, and plays very similarly to Megaman, albeit with one difference - he doesn't have access to the Robot Master's abilities, so instead relies on his Proto Buster, Charge Shot, Slide and his shield. His Charge Shot is actually his Side and Up Smashes, as well as the Proto Buster being his Jab, Side Tilt and Up Tilt. His Down Tilt is a slide, like Megaman, and his Down Smash is basically him firing into the ground and making a shockwave, with a similar hitbox to DK's Down-B. Neutral Special is him putting his shield up, which deflects projectiles at a 45 degree angle upward, Up-B is Rush Jet, differentiating further from Megaman, and his Side-B is a shield bash, which (if timed correctly) reflects projectiles with 1.5x speed and damage. It also has a hitbox, with low knockback. Notably, his defence is very low - he actually takes 1.5x damage - but his attacks are very powerful and deal a lot of damage.

Their shared Down-B essentially takes the form of the Stage Select from the Menu, with Megaman's head being replaced with Protoman's. To select a character, you hold Down-B, move the control stick in the desired direction (no direction selects Protoman, of course) and then let go of Down-B. This then has the characters switch, with an animation similar to Megaman's entrance animation. Notably, the character selected at the start is always Protoman.

Their Final Smash switches the character back to Protoman, as his whistle plays and a hitbox all around him affects fighters. Then, the affected characters would be drawn into a cutscene, with all of the Robot Masters using their abilities on the players. This has massive knockback.

Notably, alts would be based on characters from a variety of other games, mostly centred around Protoman. His alts would include one that references Megaman, one for Bass, one for Zero, one for Dr Light, one for Duo, one for a Sniper Joe, and one for a Mettaur. The alts of the other Robot Masters would reference some characters from games in which the characters referenced by Protoman were present (so, for instance, his Zero costume would mean the Robot Masters would have colourations akin to the Mavericks from Megaman X.

The taunts for each character would be something that reflects their personality, and their victory screen can be based on the Robot Master that landed the last hit - except for one, which has all nine on the victory screen. Their stage would essentially be in Battlefield format, but change between the tilesets, backgrounds and music of the different stages in Mega Man 3, in the traditional 8-bit style.

What do y'all think?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So, I was awake last night from sheer boredom, and I came up with a really dumb idea for a character... or should I say, characters.
See, the idea of this one would be that you would play as a group of Robot Masters - all of which I'd say should be from the same game.
However, I was kinda torn between which to add - so I at first went with the Robot Masters from Megaman II. After all, some of the abilities already in the game work fairly well here... then again, there's Flashman, who would stop time completely - so obviously broken.
As such, I chose Megaman III. There's a variety of available Robot Masters with very interesting, but not broken, abilities. They're below -
- Needle Man
- Magnet Man
- Gemini Man
- Hard Man
- Top Man
- Snake Man
- Spark Man
- Shadow Man

Here's a quick idea of how they each play.

Needle Man is a fairly slow bruiser, of a mid-heavy weight. His Side-B involves him leaping sideways headfirst, using the needles on his head as an attack. Up-B involves him basically floating for a bit, shooting needles below him. However, it doesn't have much vertical range, relying on horizontal range instead. Notably, his moves are mostly multi-hit, due to the nature of needles being a multi-hit attack.

Magnet Man differs from most here, as his Side-B is actually his Magnet Missile. His Neutral-B is actually somewhat similar to PSI Magnet. It absorbs projectiles, but has a slightly larger hitbox in a specific region - which draws other fighters in, kind of like Ganondorf's Up-Tilt. Furthermore, if used without absorbing, it has very little lag, and can be used to quickly change spacing. Note - he does take some damage from projectiles in this state, and there's quite a lot of lag if he does absorb the projectiles. His Up-B is basically a float, which can be in reference to how he supposedly sticks to ceilings in his sleep. Furthermore, this dragging mechanic is used in his Smash attacks.

Gemini Man has a similar circumstance to Magnet Man, in that his equipable attack is his Side-B. His Neutral-B summons a clone of him, which then works in a similar way to Ice Climbers. However, it has a limit - it can only be present for 10 seconds, requires a short period of time to recharge, and will be destroyed if it takes over 50%. Furthermore, if it takes damage, so does Gemini Man - but the knockback isn't transferred. His Up-B is basically Naruto's from Super Smash Flash 2 - he summons a clone, which kicks him upward. These clones appear in a lot of his moves, too - specifically his throws.

Hard Man plays a lot like Bowser. He's slow, heavy, and relies on dishing out single, heavy hitting attacks. His Neutral-B is Hard Knuckle, which works more like the source material as opposed to how it works in Megaman's moveset - that is, being a horizontal projectile, that can be aimed up or down during movement, like Zelda's Side-B. His Side-B, however, is a huge jump, which works kind of like you'd imagine Dedede's Up-B to work if he jumped sideways. His Up-B is basically Dedede's, however - albeit with the drop as a part that remains, regardless of inpits.

Top Man is a combo-centric, mid-range character - kind of like Sonic perhaps? - who relies on his speed in order to take out opponents. His Neutral-B is basically Meta Knight's, but also reflects projectiles. His Side-B throws spinning tops, kind of like R.O.B's, but not as items. They as such can't be picked up. Lastly, his Up-B is a variant of Donkey Kong's. Notably, most of his attacks revolve around spinning (pun intended) and also reflect his passion for physical activities like rollerskating.

Snake Man is fairly fast and lightweight, and has a very low profile, making some moves like ZSS's Side Smash go straight over him. His Neutral-B is his Search Snake, which works a little like Bowser Jr's Down-B, but can also go on any surface, including the bottom of stages, up walls, and such before exploding. His Side-B is similar to Greninja's, but he digs beneath the ground and essentially uses Knuckles' attack (albeit a little weaker.) This can't be used in the air, however. His Up-B is basically Lucas' grab.

Spark Man is a midrange, all around character, similar perhaps to Pikachu. His attacks mostly centre around electricity. Neutral-B is Spark Shock, a simple projectile that stun when they hit a fighter (like Corrin's) but are fairly slow to fire, albeit fast when they actually do get fired. His Side-B is an original move that throws him forward, kind of like Diddy Kong's. When he hits, he performs two electrically powered punches that stun the fighter it's used on, then launch them away. Lastly, his Up-B works like Lucario's, but uses electricity, and has an electrical hitbox across it's entire path.

Shadow Man is a character very similar in technique to Sheik - a fast midweight, designed around combos, but lacking kill potential and knockback on many attacks. His Neutral-B is Shadow Blade, which works just like in his source material. Notably, it is more powerful than Metal Blade, and slightly faster, but can only be thrown in 5 directions (as in the original game when equipped by Megaman.) His Side-B has him summon a robotic frog, which latches onto characters and explodes, again like Bowser Jr's Down-B. However, they jump, and charging them allows three sizes - a small frog, maybe the size of a Pokeball, a medium one, perhaps the size of Pichu, and a large one, the size of Bowser. His Up-B summons a smokescreen around him, and then he teleports within this in any direction.

However, their base character is an interesting pick - Protoman. Protoman is the character you start with, and plays very similarly to Megaman, albeit with one difference - he doesn't have access to the Robot Master's abilities, so instead relies on his Proto Buster, Charge Shot, Slide and his shield. His Charge Shot is actually his Side and Up Smashes, as well as the Proto Buster being his Jab, Side Tilt and Up Tilt. His Down Tilt is a slide, like Megaman, and his Down Smash is basically him firing into the ground and making a shockwave, with a similar hitbox to DK's Down-B. Neutral Special is him putting his shield up, which deflects projectiles at a 45 degree angle upward, Up-B is Rush Jet, differentiating further from Megaman, and his Side-B is a shield bash, which (if timed correctly) reflects projectiles with 1.5x speed and damage. It also has a hitbox, with low knockback. Notably, his defence is very low - he actually takes 1.5x damage - but his attacks are very powerful and deal a lot of damage.

Their shared Down-B essentially takes the form of the Stage Select from the Menu, with Megaman's head being replaced with Protoman's. To select a character, you hold Down-B, move the control stick in the desired direction (no direction selects Protoman, of course) and then let go of Down-B. This then has the characters switch, with an animation similar to Megaman's entrance animation. Notably, the character selected at the start is always Protoman.

Their Final Smash switches the character back to Protoman, as his whistle plays and a hitbox all around him affects fighters. Then, the affected characters would be drawn into a cutscene, with all of the Robot Masters using their abilities on the players. This has massive knockback.

Notably, alts would be based on characters from a variety of other games, mostly centred around Protoman. His alts would include one that references Megaman, one for Bass, one for Zero, one for Dr Light, one for Duo, one for a Sniper Joe, and one for a Mettaur. The alts of the other Robot Masters would reference some characters from games in which the characters referenced by Protoman were present (so, for instance, his Zero costume would mean the Robot Masters would have colourations akin to the Mavericks from Megaman X.

The taunts for each character would be something that reflects their personality, and their victory screen can be based on the Robot Master that landed the last hit - except for one, which has all nine on the victory screen. Their stage would essentially be in Battlefield format, but change between the tilesets, backgrounds and music of the different stages in Mega Man 3, in the traditional 8-bit style.

What do y'all think?
It is an ambitious idea to be sure. I am unsure how likely it is, and I feel maybe Dr Wily might make a more logical base for a Robot Master switching move-set, just in a thematic sense since if I recall, Proto-Man hasn't worked with the Robot Masters in quite a while.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
It is an ambitious idea to be sure. I am unsure how likely it is, and I feel maybe Dr Wily might make a more logical base for a Robot Master switching move-set, just in a thematic sense since if I recall, Proto-Man hasn't worked with the Robot Masters in quite a while.
Yeah... to be realistic it would probably never happen, but I just thought it would be cool - plus, it references a lot of Megaman's history (at least, in the 'traditional' sense) in one? You're right on the Proto Man part though, I just thought it would be cool to have a base character who would have a similar playstyle to the others (seems as Wily would likely be using his mechanical vehicles and stuff.)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's been a while, but I noticed we had a handful of new votes. Thanks to anyone who stopped by.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I had a bizarre thought that would be really cool but would never happen.

The Mega Man Killers, and Quint, could be implemented into a moveset.

(Down B would switch between them.) Enker would be mid-weight and most of his moveset revolves around his spear, as well as his ability to absorb and reflect projectiles with Neutral B, allowing him to become more powerful and gain a little health. Punk would be a heavyweight, and basically work like a heavy Sonic, in that he can curl into a ball and move quickly - but his running speed is slow, and he is heavy. He also gets the Screw Crusher, a spinning saw that can be thrown in an arc (similarly to the Belmont's axe.) and I suppose most of his basic moves would be based on his spikes and general heavy punches and kicks. Ballade would be heavier than Enker, but lighter than Punk, and most of his moves would be fast to hit, but have a bit of endlag. His main ability is the Ballade Cracker, a powerful explosive. Lastly, Quint would mostly be similar in principle to Mega Man, what with the S-Tilt, S-Smash, Jab, and Neutral Air still being the pellets (although he can have four on screen at a time.) His main moves are based on his Sakugarne, a sort of jackhammer that can throw up debris, and probably work wonders as a spike.

Again, this would never happen, but... it would be cool to see

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It's been a while, but I noticed we had a handful of new votes. Thanks to anyone who stopped by.
Well, I certainly want Mega Man to a 2nd rep along with Sonic and Pacman. In fact, out of all the non-nintendo videogame franchises in the world, the Mega Man franchise is only less iconic than Sonic and Pacman, it trumps over everything else. Making Mega Man the 3rd most iconic non Nintendo franchise videogame franchise, but not the 3rd most popular.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I just recently saw this post. I was sad when MMX wasn't in Smash Ultimate. And I almost freak out when I saw Zero (from MMX), but then disappeared and the title "assists trophies" appeared. That was a very depressing moment....

I know it would be nuts, and maybe quite complicated to be develop, but I love a mechanic were the fighter is X/Zero or X/Zero/Axl. You have to choose two, and you can change it on the go like in MMX8. Both have individual "health bars", but if you get throw of the arena, you lose both.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I just recently saw this post. I was sad when MMX wasn't in Smash Ultimate. And I almost freak out when I saw Zero (from MMX), but then disappeared and the title "assists trophies" appeared. That was a very depressing moment....

I know it would be nuts, and maybe quite complicated to be develop, but I love a mechanic were the fighter is X/Zero or X/Zero/Axl. You have to choose two, and you can change it on the go like in MMX8. Both have individual "health bars", but if you get throw of the arena, you lose both.
That could be another unique mechanic.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Battle Network's 20th Birthday is soon on the horizon, would you guys want to see some sort of celebration in Smash? These type of things aren't super common, but it's fun to think about.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Battle Network's 20th Birthday is soon on the horizon, would you guys want to see some sort of celebration in Smash? These type of things aren't super common, but it's fun to think about.
The Mega Man RPGS have remained relatively obscure to this day. When People hear MegaMan.EXE, they will most likely just think of an evil clone of Megaman with bloody red eyes.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
At least a spirits event would be cool, best case scenario Mega Man.EXE or another character could get into Smash. (To be fair, my sister is a Mega Man fan and we've heard of Mega Man Battle Network even if it isn't our cup of tea. The only problem would be how to tweak the Final Smash for classic Mega Man if Mega Man.EXE ever got into Smash.)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
At least a spirits event would be cool, best case scenario Mega Man.EXE or another character could get into Smash. (To be fair, my sister is a Mega Man fan and we've heard of Mega Man Battle Network even if it isn't our cup of tea. The only problem would be how to tweak the Final Smash for classic Mega Man if Mega Man.EXE ever got into Smash.)
I see your point. Though I imagine if he were to get in, The Final Smash might not change too much if Chrom can still show up in Robin's. There's other oddity's like the Koopa kids turning into Shadow Mario like Jr. does.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Megaman as a character has been the 3rd most iconic 3rd party primary rep in the world behind Pacman being #2 and Sonic being #1. MegaMan.EXE is not a primary rep.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Mega Man RPGS have remained relatively obscure to this day. When People hear MegaMan.EXE, they will most likely just think of an evil clone of Megaman with bloody red eyes.
I kind of doubt that. Battle Network has some of the higher selling titles in the series. Now do I think Mega Man.EXE's the likeliest character to add after Mega Man? Hard to say, could be MMX, Zero or Protoman as just as easily, if it were to ever happen. Which is a pretty big if.

Megaman as a character has been the 3rd most iconic 3rd party primary rep in the world behind Pacman being #2 and Sonic being #1. MegaMan.EXE is not a primary rep.
This thread's about a potential 2nd character for Mega Man, technically all of them are secondary to the first Mega Man who's already in the game. Outside of that, Mega Man .EXE is the primary protagonist of his series, he's as important as X or Zero or Volnutt are to their own set of games.

And I'd argue Pac-Man's more well known than Sonic, at least with older generations.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I kind of doubt that. Battle Network has some of the higher selling titles in the series. Now do I think Mega Man.EXE's the likeliest character to add after Mega Man? Hard to say, could be MMX, Zero or Protoman as just as easily, if it were to ever happen. Which is a pretty big if.
The Mega Man RPGS were only famous and popular during the 2000s, nowadays, they have now turned into underknown (which means obscure) installments.

This thread's about a potential 2nd character for Mega Man, technically all of them are secondary to the first Mega Man who's already in the game. Outside of that, Mega Man .EXE is the primary protagonist of his series, he's as important as X or Zero or Volnutt are to their own set of games.
I would say that X or Zero would be the best choice for a 2nd Mega Man rep. Honestly, I would still prefer Ken as a Ryu echo over Protoman, Bass, Roll (Mega Man), or Quint (Mega Man) as a Mega Man echo.

And I'd argue Pac-Man's more well known than Sonic, at least with older generations.
Maybe back in the 90s, but I think Sonic trumps Pac-Man nowadays.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There's rumors of a title called Rockman Taisen. It's supposedly a 2022 game with a larger budget by Mega Man standards, it'll be interesting to see what that'll have in store for the franchise. Hopefully something good.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Now that i think about it, Mega Man Zero could be playable. Yeah, Zero is an AT..............but not the MMZ incarnation, he is just a spirit, which could mean they could pull a loophole if they wanted to, since Spirits have no problem being playable, plus we have low Zero content (and by extention, most non-Classic content)

There's rumors of a title called Rockman Taisen. It's supposedly a 2022 game with a larger budget by Mega Man standards, it'll be interesting to see what that'll have in store for the franchise. Hopefully something good.
I hope it's not another Gacha game. I have no i'll will towards MMX Dive, but it is dissapointing it is the only major Mega Man content we have gotten since MM11, we need another mainline Console game to complement it (like Crash 4 and Crash On the Run)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Now that i think about it, Mega Man Zero could be playable. Yeah, Zero is an AT..............but not the MMZ incarnation, he is just a spirit, which could mean they could pull a loophole if they wanted to, since Spirits have no problem being playable, plus we have low Zero content (and by extention, most non-Classic content)

I hope it's not another Gacha game. I have no i'll will towards MMX Dive, but it is dissapointing it is the only major Mega Man content we have gotten since MM11, we need another mainline Console game to complement it (like Crash 4 and Crash On the Run)
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about his spirit at least, like you said. I imagine MMZ Zero could be pretty fun. Not to mention, Z-Zero could get us Cannonball, Esperanto and Power Bomb. I imagine he'll mostly stick to the Z-Saber, but the spear could be cool. That said, there were rumors of Battle Network styled game acting like a counterpart to XDive being a dank platformer. I'm not into Gacha either, while its cool to see some characters and forms in 3D, I'm itching for a more polished full game.

From what I understand this Taisen game is supposed to be a console game, but I don't know for sure. Details are sparse but there's some stuff Capcom's working on, like SF6 being pulled back as well. Hard to say if this'll also feature a new Mega Man, Zero/Proto/Axl, Roll ect. It could also be a crossover. It'd be interesting if content from it could be applied to Smash.

That's a little too off-topic. I would suggest the social thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom