• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mega Man Social Thread - Get Equipped with MM11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Rare couple videos of SSBU gameplay with someone who seems to have an idea of what he's doing with Mega Man.

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to make any real use of Leaf Shield, since I was interested to see that in action. Hoping it's not true that Leaf Shield can't be combined with grabs or item tosses anymore. I suppose enough buffs would make up for it, but it's less clear what you'd use LS for otherwise... Is chip damage from leaves rotating around you better than pellets given that you'd have fewer options? It did look like maybe it also stuns the opponent more so it's safer to do but still, you're not going to get a ton of damage by running up with LS up. As a projectile, it's quite a bit slower than other options. One of my main uses for it as a straight projectile is against campers since it both goes through and absorbs a lot of opposing projectiles, but I'm not sure they sped it up enough for more extensive use. But to the extent it was useful as a projectile, it's because you can combine it with MB and also threaten to approach which can lead to a grab. If they know all you can do is throw LS...

(Also a little bit of interesting Ridley play there... that offstage side-B gimp...)

Also is it just placebo or does it seem like some of Mega Man's projectiles are faster? It definitely looks like z-dropped MB falls faster.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please give me update if Mighty No. 9 is coming to the 3DS? I've been waiting for over a year and haven't heard anything. I'm starting to think it got cancelled.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty sure there has been no update since last year. My only question is whether or not they're legally obligated to release it on 3DS?

I did my duty and picked up X Legacy Collection. I beat X & X2, and am starting my long trek through X3. If you want to get the Hunter Medels/Trophies/Achievements make sure you sit through the end credits of each game, as there are separate ones for beating Sigma & beating the game. RIP Save States

X1 - Still probably the best game in the series. I still notice some flaws here and there
X2 - Finally did a playthrough where I got the Zero parts. I forgot that lot of boss fights are a drag. Ex. Wheel Gator, Magna Centipede, Serges,

X Challenge so far isn't as much fun IMO as the Challenges in the Classic Collections.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I downloaded both X collections a couple of days ago and while I'm enjoying revisiting the games, there are a few nitpicks I have, at least for the first set.

For X1, X2 and X3, you can't utilize certain buttons when modifying the controls, specifically the ZL and ZR buttons. I find it somewhat awkward to have to use the L button to dash since it's not in a more natural position like the ZL button. You also have to set the controls at the title screen for each game, which won't be saved I might add. This is something that the MMLCs did better, since you could modify your controls in the system menu for each game (which would be saved)and every button was usable.

Another thing I noticed was (with the first three games at least)the amount of slowdown during scenes with a lot of action. Now I've played through the MMX Collection and while there was some slowdown, it wasn't nearly as apparent as this. Not really game breaking, but still.

...And I'm somewhat disturbed by the lack of a PSX soundtrack for X3...

Anyway, I'm hoping that Capcom prepares an update in the future to correct the more significant issues in XLC1. I don't know about XLC2, have yet to dive into that one.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Rare couple videos of SSBU gameplay with someone who seems to have an idea of what he's doing with Mega Man.

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to make any real use of Leaf Shield, since I was interested to see that in action. Hoping it's not true that Leaf Shield can't be combined with grabs or item tosses anymore. I suppose enough buffs would make up for it, but it's less clear what you'd use LS for otherwise... Is chip damage from leaves rotating around you better than pellets given that you'd have fewer options? It did look like maybe it also stuns the opponent more so it's safer to do but still, you're not going to get a ton of damage by running up with LS up. As a projectile, it's quite a bit slower than other options. One of my main uses for it as a straight projectile is against campers since it both goes through and absorbs a lot of opposing projectiles, but I'm not sure they sped it up enough for more extensive use. But to the extent it was useful as a projectile, it's because you can combine it with MB and also threaten to approach which can lead to a grab. If they know all you can do is throw LS...

(Also a little bit of interesting Ridley play there... that offstage side-B gimp...)

Also is it just placebo or does it seem like some of Mega Man's projectiles are faster? It definitely looks like z-dropped MB falls faster.
About 55 seconds in to the fight with Sonic, you can see that the landing lag on Rush Coil is pretty much nonexistent. I guess it's not too surprising given the general reduction of landing lag across the board, but I must admit it caught me off guard him being able to act so quickly without having to land with pellets.

I heard Leaf Shield was worse, but this is the first I've heard as to why. If that is true, it's gonna be a bit jarring to get used to. However, if startup lag is reduced for it (combined with less lag from Rush Coil), it should still be useful for landing. Which makes it not as severe for me, since I mostly use Leaf Shield for mixing up my landing. Still, any nerf to Leaf Shield hurts me, and it's frustrating nobody has really tested it on camera definitively. Also slide.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
What does everyone think of Mega Man: Fully Charged?
Ehhh.... I saw a bit of it on TV, wasn't particularly won over. Granted, I'm definitely not the target demographic. Was nice to actually hear a bit of Drill Man's theme thrown in there, but I really wasn't a fan of anything else.

So after this direct, I'm definitely in a bit of a character crisis with Mega Man. I was already planning on using him less, but I'm a much bigger Castlevania fan than I am a Mega Man fan. So Rock might end up being a secondary or even just a "for fun" character for me. But if he plays like he does in 4, playing him again will be like riding a bike.

Anybody got any impressions on the new characters in regards to potential matchups?

I might be biased, but I think the Belmonts have the upper hand against Mega Man. Their whip range is similar to pellet range, but with the added bonus of being a melee attack and not a projectile. We've seen in the trailers that even the whip flail stuffs pellets and metal blades, so the whip probably beats Crash Bomb, too. The main thing going for them though imo is down-angled fair/bair. We'll have to see how their aerials are short hopped, but if it's how I think it is then the whip will go exactly in Mega Man's blind spot (directly in front of him and above). We have yet to see how durable the Belmont projectiles are, and if Holy Water makes for a good projectile shield. Again, it's too early to tell obviously, since Mega Man will definitely beat them in aerial mobility and depending on their fall speeds they might just be combo food.

As for K.Rool, I haven't given him as much thought, but he could still be quite the threat. The Bowser matchup has always been difficult for me because of Bowser's armor and lag, and K. Rool does appear to have some on his moves (though idk if it's move-specific, or all around tough guy armor like Bowser). While we'll have to see how sturdy the crown is, the Blunderbuss is certainly a hefty projectile, so K. Rool will be able to challenge Mega Man's range.

As for the echoes... too early for me to have an impression either way. The Chrom matchup may be similar to the Sm4sh Roy matchup, with more emphasis on gimping his recovery. But we'll definitely have to see how the new physics play out, since the more aggressive nature may help Chrom/Roy out more, and Mega Man has always been iffy against swords (I know I struggle with them). I can say even less about Dark Samus. If it's anything like Samus, then it'll be a game of pestering DS so they can't use charge shot.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Any one else kind of wished they used the leaner taller design with a neck from megaman 11?

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
Any one else kind of wished they used the leaner taller design with a neck from megaman 11?
I do. Hopefully by the time Ultimate has modding capabilities I can model swap MM11 Mega Man into it. Regardless, I hope Mega Man 11 has at least some form of representation.

A playable Fuse Man would kick complete ass.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/08/31/impact-man-piles-in-to-mega-man-11

That's 5/8 down with 1 month to go. Pile Driver* seems like it could be used in a future Smash game should Mega Man return. I like how they mention it can be used for mobility as a pseudo-air dash.

*Am kind of bummed it's not a direct Final Fight/Street Fighter reference. Hopefully with the X9 tease we'll be able to see X perform something like the Hurricane Kick, Raging Demon, or a real Pile Driver someday soon.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/08/31/impact-man-piles-in-to-mega-man-11

That's 5/8 down with 1 month to go. Pile Driver* seems like it could be used in a future Smash game should Mega Man return. I like how they mention it can be used for mobility as a pseudo-air dash.

*Am kind of bummed it's not a direct Final Fight/Street Fighter reference. Hopefully with the X9 tease we'll be able to see X perform something like the Hurricane Kick, Raging Demon, or a real Pile Driver someday soon.
It's a very rare thing for X to utilize fighting game moves in his own series. Excluding the hidden Hadoken and Shoryuken from X1 and X2, I've only seen him use one of these moves once with an actual Special Weapon, that being the Rising Fire from X4. He performs the Shoryuken technique when charging the weapon, with the addition of shooting the fireball upward like normal.

Having played X8 recently, it's actually Zero who uses some of these techniques when equipped with his Kaiser Knuckle. I don't know if all of his moves are references, though.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
New tidbit from Sakurai's latest Famitsu column:
We gave priority to the composers’ choices, so we might’ve been biased in our selection, but including well-loved songs was by and large the most important factor. Castlevania and Mega Man are particularly popular, so we included a lot of new arrangements from those series.
We haven't gotten much Mega Man news, hell, not even much info about changes to him despite him being in the demo, so nice to read this.

We already know of four new MM tracks, but sounds like we should expect even more. Hoping we'll see some more music from Mega Man 1, 4-7, 9-10 (I don't care one bit about MM8 music tho, it is the worst main series soundtrack, IMO). I mean, MM2 and 3 have two of the best NES soundtracks of all time, but we do have several songs from them already. I hope we get more Mega Man X content than just the X1 intro too (Storm Eagle or Spark Mandrill would be great).

*I know there's at least one new MM4 song already

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone try that Megaman 11 demo? Feels great to play, and the gears are pretty satisfying to use.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm surprised, this board has been fairly quiet despite the recent news.

:ultmegaman: Demo Thoughts:
  • Is pretty much Powered Up if it was made for consoles.
  • Is a little difficult to get adjusted to, not unlike 7/8/Bass/GB titles, but it is very much Classic Mega Man.
  • Slide needs a few frame decreases. It didn't really feel up to speed with what the game throws at you. Ex. Block Man Phase 3
  • Ladder needs to be sped up. It's difficult to use defensively as the Rolling Enemies prove.
  • Evil Eddie is an jerk. It needs a smaller activation window & less HP.
  • Rush Coil needs a larger hitbox. I died running off the higher platform while attempting to get the E-Tank.
  • Knockback feels weird...the speed & distance feel off...but there does seem to be an edge detecting mechanic...IDK
  • Screen size should be adjustable. Could just because it's a demo, but I had to fight Block Man without being able to see health bars.
  • Needs to embrace Classic Mega Man a bit more. The Sound Effects need an extra kick.
  • #BossGateGate
I beat the normal stage on my 4th try after learning the layout (used an E-Tank on the boss). I never used the Gear mechanic either. My TV cropped the meter and the rewards for using it didn't feel justifiable to have to manage an extra mechanic while on the fly; just more buttons to press. It's hard, but I don't think it's as hard as I've seen some complaints about.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm surprised, this board has been fairly quiet despite the recent news.

:ultmegaman: Demo Thoughts:
  • Is pretty much Powered Up if it was made for consoles.
  • Is a little difficult to get adjusted to, not unlike 7/8/Bass/GB titles, but it is very much Classic Mega Man.
  • Slide needs a few frame decreases. It didn't really feel up to speed with what the game throws at you. Ex. Block Man Phase 3
  • Ladder needs to be sped up. It's difficult to use defensively as the Rolling Enemies prove.
  • Evil Eddie is an jerk. It needs a smaller activation window & less HP.
  • Rush Coil needs a larger hitbox. I died running off the higher platform while attempting to get the E-Tank.
  • Knockback feels weird...the speed & distance feel off...but there does seem to be an edge detecting mechanic...IDK
  • Screen size should be adjustable. Could just because it's a demo, but I had to fight Block Man without being able to see health bars.
  • Needs to embrace Classic Mega Man a bit more. The Sound Effects need an extra kick.
  • #BossGateGate
I beat the normal stage on my 4th try after learning the layout (used an E-Tank on the boss). I never used the Gear mechanic either. My TV cropped the meter and the rewards for using it didn't feel justifiable to have to manage an extra mechanic while on the fly; just more buttons to press. It's hard, but I don't think it's as hard as I've seen some complaints about.
I'm pretty sure you're expected to use Gear abilities if you want to catch Evil Eddie. Though it is tough either way if you don't have foreknowledge of him.

It's not really hard to incorporate the gears in normal gameplay. Use speed for tricky platforming/maneuvaering or exploiting small openings, or power for big ones.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I disliked the voice acting. And I agree that I prefer some of the classic sound effects.

It would be cool to have chiptune versions of the music in the game somehow.

Didn't have any issue with screen size so I don't know anything about that...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It will definitely take some time to get used to the Gear mechanic. I'm just more of the type who uses the pause screen to switch weapons than the toggle.

Evil Eddie is a beginner's trap, which is perfectly fine, but I'm just a tad against the Gear mechanic being needed to catch him. I'll probably change my opinion once the full game out and more weapons unlock.

My set up is a tad weird as I don't have an HD TV, so part of the screen crop is on me. I did see it being requested by others on Protodude's Twitter & ResetERA so I'm in a minority of a minority probably. Irregardless it would be nice to shrink the screen down and be able to have borders like the Legacy/X Collections.

I relucktant to call the music forgetable as it took me a while to remember the melodies of 8/Bass/Powered Up. I'm surprised they're going with a piano instrumental DLC instead of chiptunes. I'm pretty sure I lost a bet I made with myself in Wii U Social thread. lol

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I don't even find most of the music from 11 forgettable (from what I've heard so far) except for Block Man. What a terrible first impression to make on people.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I found this by chance this morning, so hopefully this isn't too old. I love it when someone records a high quality version of these shows, let alone the rare ones that have Mega Man songs: MM2 Title/Wood/Gemini/Snake/Spark/Wily 1

As a side note, I remember Video Games Live confirming they'll be working on a Mega Man X Medley for their Level 7 album next year.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Oh yeah, I found that video myself quite a while ago and thought it was awesome. Snake Man and Spark Man's parts especially. We seriously need a Snake Man remix in Smash, on that note...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't wait for MM11! That and Spider-Man are some of the games I really want to play. In terms of Smash, I'm still maining Mega Man and I'm glad MM4 and Mega Man X's Central Highway are a part of the new music. I wonder what else we'll get.

If there's ever another ballot, I'm voting Mega Man X, since, well why the hell not, I got every other character I really wanted barring Isaac.

For the most part, I do like that design. Though the hand drawn art in Mega Man 7 is my favorite style of Classic Mega Man.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Robot Masters in 11 have a surprising number of quotes. You'd expect multiple openers like in 8 in the event of dying to them, but even in defeat they seem to have more than one line.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Robot Masters in 11 have a surprising number of quotes. You'd expect multiple openers like in 8 in the event of dying to them, but even in defeat they seem to have more than one line.
That's pretty cool.

I personally like how Torch Man is some kind of Kung-Fu movie parody character, not to mention his sick moves too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like the final Robot Masters have been officially revealed.

I kind of want to see Hitoshi Ariga ship Freeze & Tundra Man; if you've ever read Gigamix. lol

I think I like Acid Man's design the most. It feels like a base design we haven't seen from a Robot Master yet.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So in DMC 5, Nero can change his arm into a Mega Buster. It just had to be done, so I'm glad they did it.

Nero gets a slide and has standard and Charge Shots.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Acid Barrier looks sick. It looks even better than Jewel Satellite.

So in DMC 5, Nero can change his arm into a Mega Buster. It just had to be done, so I'm glad they did it.

Nero gets a slide and has standard and Charge Shots.
It'd be sweet if Rock got a Devil Trigger weapon or something in 11 on the receiving end. Or a Gilgamesh weapon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

It'd be sweet if Rock got a Devil Trigger weapon or something in 11 on the receiving end. Or a Gilgamesh weapon.
Make a new Mega Man X game, Mega Man X gets a Hurricane Kick with one Armor, He gets Rebellion with another. Zero gets Yamato, Axl gets Red Queen. All is right with the world.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looks like it's most similar to Junk Shield where every use gives a shield that can take a number of hits. Giving it a semi-standard projectile to use on top of that is insane though. In fact most of these weapons look really useful, even before getting into Power Gear versions. The game is looking a halfway point between classic and X.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Looks like it's most similar to Junk Shield where every use gives a shield that can take a number of hits. Giving it a semi-standard projectile to use on top of that is insane though. In fact most of these weapons look really useful, even before getting into Power Gear versions. The game is looking a halfway point between classic and X.
Especially with an Air Dash weapon. I wonder if this'll be expanded on in other Mega Man titles or be a one and done gimmick like the alternate busters in MM8.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Especially with an Air Dash weapon. I wonder if this'll be expanded on in other Mega Man titles or be a one and done gimmick like the alternate busters in MM8.
I suppose the plot behind the new mechanics could be seen as covering their rears in case they don't work out. "Oh, the double gear was too dangerous to continue using."

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It wouldn't surprise me if they bring gears back in the future as a shop item.

Acid Barrier looks fantastic. The weapon selection here might give 9 a run for its money. Any theories on boss order yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom