• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mega Man Social Thread - Get Equipped with MM11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Ha! That buff to Leaf Shield. Love it! Now if they could buff Crash Bomber as well... Regardless, I'm really excited to have my secondary back. He's going to get nice and cozy next to Bowser and Ridley.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Has anyone found any footage of someone playing Mega Man 1-on-1? There were a couple multiplayer matches, but those are not so helpful to watch.

It seemed like almost nobody played him at E3.
I've been looking, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find much. The most I've seen was an updated victory animation.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Honestly, there's so much good Mega Man music (although I would still probably say that MM2 and MM3 have the best soundtracks of the classics) that they could have good music from most any era. It seems they mostly want to stick to the main series though (so Storm Eagle is pretty unlikely for example). I would say that Mega Man 8 has the weakest soundtrack by far and unless the soundtrack is massive I don't really care about hearing anything from it.

To throw out a more unusual suggestion, maybe they should have a track based on the Mega Man Game Boy games.

I always thought this one was very catchy:

Which forms the basis for Heart of Enker in MM10:
I’m so happy someone else on here is giving the GB Mega Man some love. One of my favorites is this ENKER song (obviously).

Also, Tornado_Man Tornado_Man , Agreed, a remix of SunStar would be AMAZING. :D

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Kain6th Kain6th Protoman and Bass are part of the mainline Mega Man series, while the others in the Final Smash are "versions" of Mega Man. Zero is neither.

Zero being playable isn't totally impossible, but I highly doubt it. He wouldn't really work as a Mega Man clone based on his canon appearances - at least not without changing the aesthetics of basically every move to match X series weapons, and he has significantly different proportions. And I highly doubt we'd get a second full-fledged Mega Man character.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
After finally managing to find some Mega Man footage, here are some small notes I gathered:

-BAir feels huge now. I don't know if it's just me not remembering things well, but I swear it looks bigger.
-Leaf shield gets all four leaves at once, and it's startup is much shorter. The leaves also don't break like in 4 when hit, they'll always remain.
-FAir might have less landing lag, potentially making it a lot more useful this time around.
-UAir might have been made more consistant in terms of killing? I didn't saw anybody drop from it without receiving the knockback, unlike in smash 4 where sometimes they didn't get send upwards.
-One of his victory poses got an slight addition, where he runs forward before striking the pose. Looks great.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as always. But I'm super hyped about playing Mega Man if some of these changes are a thing.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Drarky Drarky Any chance you can find those videos again and link to them? Maybe they could go in a separate thread for Mega Man footage...

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yeah, I agree Slash Claw looks bigger. But some of it is the arc of the slash being longer and wider (and extending even more in front of Mega, not just behind) and I couldn't tell if if there's a hitbox there.

The speed and visuals of the Air Blaster seem different too. It seems to move a little faster. It's possible it does less damage too, but that move is not super consistent in how much damage it does. But less maximum damage in exchange for more reliability might be worth it...

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
His reason that Mega Man looked boring was that footstool combos don't work anymore. Since I couldn't do them anyway, I guess I shouldn't really be worried... And there's time for balancing and more changes, so we'll see.

I'd be interested in how the changes to Leaf Shield affect things...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like I'll be modding Mega Man again. If you have any questions or need some help free to ask.

I look forward to hopefully seeing an increased amount of activity once X Legacy Collection & 11 come out. I'm liking the buffs so far, less landing lag on F-Air is fantastic, but the big one I'm looking for now is decreased end lag on F-Smash.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I just hope the team doesn't have any intentions of nerfing him specifically.
With all the buffs we've seen so far I doubt that will be an issue. For now at least. This is early development footage though, so who knows what will happen upon release.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
His reason that Mega Man looked boring was that footstool combos don't work anymore. Since I couldn't do them anyway, I guess I shouldn't really be worried... And there's time for balancing and more changes, so we'll see.

I'd be interested in how the changes to Leaf Shield affect things...
But glide tossing Metal Blades is thing now.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Why is Mega Man using Quick Boomerang?

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Does Mega Man's down smash look faster or is it just me? Also, either Ganondorf it's because Ganondorf is heavy and at low percents, or else it looks like down smash's knockback has been nerfed a bit.
I just did a quick comparison between 4 and Ultimate. The speed of his DSmash animation seems the same, and the low knockback is just due to Ganon's heavy weight and being at only 2%. It is possible, though hard to determine because of the chaos on screen, that the active frames start slightly earlier on it now. I'm not sure yet.

Also don't worry about it doing only 14.7 damage, because the scaling is lower due to it being a FFA.

edit: Dash attack's cool down looks slightly faster but it's probably just placebo.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Because the Mecha Dragon is weak to it.
No, he's not. But I guess a strategy I hadn't considered was that the Quick Boomerang has a higher rate of fire so it can damage it at a faster rate if you fire from the top block. But it looks like in that picture Mega Man might be too far away for the boomerang to connect...

Atomic Fire is the weapon that deals the most damage (using charged shots).

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha_Dragon#Damage_Data_Chart

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
So, I found a decent exhibition of Mega Man performing in a 1v1 environment, finally. Albeit with items, but thankfully they were used sparingly enough that I could ignore them. I went through the video several times at 0.25% speed, and compared everything damage-wise directly from my copy of Sm4sh. Needless to say, endlag on several moves are lessened as we already know. Damage values have changed a bit, however.

Bair:

SSB4: 12%
Ultimate: 12.5%

Dthrow:

SSB4: 4%
Ultimate: 4.8

Seems about the same because in 4, two dthrows = 9%.

Fair:

SSB4: 8%
Ultimate: 7.6%

Seems to have slightly less damage in exchange for more knockback.

Uair:

SSB4: 20%
Ultimate: 14.8% (all hits, but probably less damage than usual due to staling)

Pellets:

SSB4: 2% per pellet, 3% grounded sweetspot, 4% Nair sweetspot
Ultimate: 2.1% per pellet, ??? (presumably the same) grounded sweetspot, 4.2% Nair sweetspot

Metal Blade:

SSB4: 3%, 5% if picked up and tossed
Ultimate: 5%, 3% if picked up and tossed

Strangely, at 0:45 in the video, Marth goes from 45.4% to 55.4% from a Metal Blade... not sure how to judge this.

Fthrow:

SSB4: 8%
Ultimate: 8.4%

USmash:

SSB4: 15% uncharged
Ultimate: 18.2% uncharged

Utilt (sweetspot):

SSB4: 17%
Ultimate: 17.8%

Utilt seen at 2:18 in the video.

The player in the video didn't show off very much. He didn't use Dair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Dtilt, or Dash Attack at all. The one time he used Leaf Shield, he just threw it without putting it to actual use. If I missed anything though, please let me know.

I also did some visual comparisons. I screenshotted several parts of the video, and compared them with the same instances in Sm4sh. I scaled them exactly so we could see the changes more effectively.

USmash

Bair

Pellet range

This one was incredibly difficult to lineup, particularly because of the angle of the top image from Sm4sh.

Uair
Seems the same.

Fair
Also seems about the same. Maybe a little bit bigger at the edge, but not much.

Obviously, I could've easily messed up on something here or there but that's what I managed to find.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about these details, but Metal Blade does 3%/5% per hit, but it's possible for it to hit multiple times. It's rare for it to hit more than once on a thinner character like Marth, but it's possible. Or more accurately, it depends on how wide the character is relative to the angle the MB is being thrown and how fast it's moving. Since Marth isn't short, a vertical MB is probably more likely to hit twice. A Z-dropped Metal Blade is more likely to hit multiple times since it travels more slowly. Against fat characters like Bowser and Dedede (and likely Ridley in this new game) it can sometimes hit three times even without being Z-dropped, but frequently hits twice (in contrast to a character like Olimar, who you'd rarely hit more than once).

So if it did 10% against Marth, I'd assume it's because it hit twice. Early in the match, Marth throws it at Mega Man and it appears to hit for 6%, which was probably also a double hit.

I wonder why they made it so that thrown MB does less damage than regular. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys make of the new mechanics in the game and how they affect Mega man?

I think the new dodge mechanics are really going to help him. If crash bomber works the same it's going to be a lot more useful. Since characters can only dodge once in the air now, they'll be forced to decide between dodging and dealing with whatever pressure MM has waiting for them or take the damage from crash bomb. Depending on the situation they may be able to directional dodge to safety, but in any case it's a dodge they'll have to use (and reduce their invulnerability frames).

As for using dodges defensively... I think they could be good for him, too. In the demo it seems like air dodging can be certain death for some characters if they don't make it to the edge. But since rush coil is such a vertical recovery, I could see air dodges being used to give a little more horizontal recovery (Of course this depends on how good rush coil is in this game, and recoveries in general in Ultimate). He could also use his dodges with leaf shield, so there's probably neat applications/gimmicks from that.

I'm not sure how good the dash mechanics will work for Mega Man. On one hand, I don't really see them adding much to his smash attacks (at least not as much as other characters). On the other hand, his tilts might benefit from the mechanics, but I'm not sure how they'd work? If you f-tilt when running, would it put you back in a walking state shooting pellets? If that's the case then that could be really good, reducing the execution barrier of maneuvering while using the mega buster. Also do we know how quickly you can do tilts in the other direction? His slide already seems like it'll have a little more utility, but if you could dash and then suddenly d-tilt in the other direction it could have potential IMO. And of course there's dash into up tilt.

Footstools are nerfed, but not completely useless. There are still the opportunities for tech chases. I don't know how the throw break mechanics work that are supposedly in the game, but leaf shield would probably help in that regard?

All in all, I think the mechanics help him more than hurt, but obviously it's too early to tell. Less landing lag might make swordies even more scary to fight, but at least Mega Man's own sword is a little better.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
What do you guys make of the new mechanics in the game and how they affect Mega man?

I think the new dodge mechanics are really going to help him. If crash bomber works the same it's going to be a lot more useful. Since characters can only dodge once in the air now, they'll be forced to decide between dodging and dealing with whatever pressure MM has waiting for them or take the damage from crash bomb. Depending on the situation they may be able to directional dodge to safety, but in any case it's a dodge they'll have to use (and reduce their invulnerability frames).

As for using dodges defensively... I think they could be good for him, too. In the demo it seems like air dodging can be certain death for some characters if they don't make it to the edge. But since rush coil is such a vertical recovery, I could see air dodges being used to give a little more horizontal recovery (Of course this depends on how good rush coil is in this game, and recoveries in general in Ultimate). He could also use his dodges with leaf shield, so there's probably neat applications/gimmicks from that.

I'm not sure how good the dash mechanics will work for Mega Man. On one hand, I don't really see them adding much to his smash attacks (at least not as much as other characters). On the other hand, his tilts might benefit from the mechanics, but I'm not sure how they'd work? If you f-tilt when running, would it put you back in a walking state shooting pellets? If that's the case then that could be really good, reducing the execution barrier of maneuvering while using the mega buster. Also do we know how quickly you can do tilts in the other direction? His slide already seems like it'll have a little more utility, but if you could dash and then suddenly d-tilt in the other direction it could have potential IMO. And of course there's dash into up tilt.

Footstools are nerfed, but not completely useless. There are still the opportunities for tech chases. I don't know how the throw break mechanics work that are supposedly in the game, but leaf shield would probably help in that regard?

All in all, I think the mechanics help him more than hurt, but obviously it's too early to tell. Less landing lag might make swordies even more scary to fight, but at least Mega Man's own sword is a little better.
I need to get my hands on it myself and see what does and doesn't work to decide completely, but from what I've heard and seen, it seems like these changes will be rather beneficial for Mega Man. The game's overall speed buff and dash cancel into tilts seem like they should make our air game and pellet pressure even stronger than before. Utilt also gets an extra chance to be used, especially with the vertical sweetspot range buff I've heard about.

Leaf Shield's buff is the most exciting part of it to me. I already heavily abused the Leaf Shield's hitstun in 4 to add an extra layer of safety when getting aggressive, my only complaints being that it started too slowly and the leaves disappeared too quickly. Both of those complaints have been remedied and it's awesome. The footstool nerfs are unfortunate, but I don't think they ruin MM as much as others might.

The directional airdodge seems like it'll be helpful for him in particular for a few reasons. For one, he's one of the only characters that I can name off the top of my head that can actually double jump out of his recovery. Secondly, while it is a bit risky, it gives him another option for maneuverability that he somewhat needed. Of course, what you said is also true, the enemy being able to dodge only once helps MM gain more opportunities to punish, and punish hard. Seeing as they didn't change him too much from 4 in too many cases, I think he's looking even better now than before.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
I was happy to see Mega Man made it back in with a few nice little buffs. That being said, I'll miss the Danger Wrap side B custom move. I was never a big fan of the Crash Bomber.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
It sucks that Mega Man is such an unpopular character, there's basically no footage of him from CEO, and that really stinks for us.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Crappy play, but it looks like Leaf Shield does 4% per hit when thrown now, slightly more than before. Still hits twice. Seen like 25 seconds in, but it's not otherwise very interesting...

(Of course, I'm not sure whether the base damage should be considered the 1v1 damage. But 1v1 is mostly what matters...)

This one's a FFA, so there's some multiplier you'd need for 1v1.

From this, also seems like Leaf Shield regular hits do 0.8%. A greater reduction than explained by being a FFA match.

And Top Spin does 13% in this video (~20 seconds in), despite being a FFA... Didn't it only do 10% before if every hit connects? So it would do even more in a 1v1... (Does 14.1% in the video below, which is 1v1. I wouldn't be sure whether every hit connected in both cases though. That's definitely more than the 10% total from SSB4 tho.)

I couldn't find any Mega Man footage from CEO, which would've been better. So many frickin Marth videos *sigh*

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Should probably create a new video replay thread while I have the day off today.

Here's another match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnn_Ki1eQg8

A very minor change, but our Boxing Ring title has been changed to "The Blue Bomber."

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I wonder if we'll get anything from 11 in Ultimate (for promotion's sake). At least a Block Man trophy or music track.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Not a true match, mostly just ScAtt testing out every move bar Up/Down Smash. Might be worth dissecting.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
So I've been thinking more about the changes in the engine and what few things we know about MM-specific changes, and I feel like Metal Blade is going to be weaker this time around. It seems characters can catch items with all of their tilts (could they catch stuff with ftilt in 4? I want to say they could but I can't remember). Combined with the new dash mechanics, an experienced player could theoretically space a safe tilt and grab a metal blade without giving up any ground. Alternatively, with less landing lag it's safer to throw an aerial out to catch blades, too. Of course this depends on the matchup, and potentially any sort of mindgames. But then again, the one air dodge mechanic could help with z-drop blades for edgeguarding. Also worth noting that jump-canceled throws are going to be a bit tighter timing with the universal 3 frame jumpsquat (though this shouldn't affect Mega Man too much, iirc his jumpsquat was 4 frames in sm4sh).

Given how they apparently switched the damages for special-thrown and item-thrown Metal Blade, I'm hoping the former method is more useful this time around. The idea of diagonal MB seemed really useful on paper, but more often than not it's still better to just throw the blades as items. In any case, I don't really mind if Metal Blade is weaker, since his other tools seem to be better (especially Leaf Shield, which I got more use out of than pellets tbh). I just hope his glide toss shenanigans are back to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom