• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Champ Combo results!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Super Happy Fun Time Results with brackets and pools

Singles wrapup article on MLGPRO.COM

General thoughts

I'm not going to lie: this tournament meant a lot to me. I've never put so much work into anything in my entire life, and there are few things I've ever wanted more than for this tournament to be a success. I lost a lot of sleep during the last week worrying about food, space, registrations, staff, equipment, housing, rides, etc.... and I even started to doubt my ability to pull it off as late as Saturday morning (when faced with a very difficult situation I won't go into). Even the slightest mistake would have hurt a lot, and so I worked and worked and worked to make sure I was fully prepared for what was coming.

I took Super Champ Combo as a challenge to see whether I capable of organizing an event of this magnitude. It's not easy -- there are very few *good* large tournament hosts for a reason -- and I'd never been the leader of a large operation like this. The secret to success is, of course, organization (hyper-organization in this case [just ask to see the staff info packet]) and support (which I was blessed to have through a wonderful staff).

I'll leave evaluations of my personal performance to others, but I do feel the tournament was a resounding success. (B)East Coast showed up in force and dominated most aspects of the tournament. But WC had its reasons for cheer in the performances of Super Duper (Mango + Lucky) in teams and Mango's singles performance, backing up his 3rd place Evo World finish with another 3rd placing, taking a set off of PC Chris and also beating some of CA's top competition in HugS, Edrees, and Falcomist. The tournament ran very smoothly and ended early both nights; 7pm is, in fact, the earliest I've ever seen a full tournament finish. And aside from a few pool result typos and one or two crew members facing each other in brackets, I don't think anyone had reason to complain about the details of the competition itself.

To wrap up, I'd like to quote the staff information packet I put together, an excerpt from a section on the directors' goals for Super Champ Combo:

As the final event in the 2007 MLG season and the last national tournament before the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Champ Combo must be held to a higher standard than other tournaments and should be viewed in hindsight as a pinnacle event of the Melee tournament scene. [...] more than anything else, we want Super Champ Combo to be acknowledged as one of Melee's most memorable tournaments.
A lofty goal to be sure, but one I hope we came close to fulfilling.

-nealdt

Shoutouts
Ok, let's do this.

Staff
To my amazing staff: you are all amazing. JTB, Dodger, Buttons, Evilnemesis, and Gea went well beyond the call of duty and were an integral part of the tournament's success. Aesis, ROFL, petoo, Mike Y, Edrees, Rickety, Knivez, Zoap, and Bone also get my thanks for helping run pools with nary a complaint. (I KNOW I'M MISSING SOMEONE, I'M SORRY). You guys are amazing. Any praise given to myself, Champ, or jv should be equally showered upon everyone who helped run the tournament, for without them we would have failed miserably.

Champ's friends, the food guys: you guys are also amazing. I gave you a kitchen and some food and you took care of the rest. You deserve 10x the tips you got. In fact, at least half the money made on food will be coming your way soon. You deserve a very nice steak dinner for your hard work.

jv3x3, AlphaZealot, and Major League Gaming in general: thank you for giving me this incredible opportunity. I hope I represented your name well :).

JTB: you get a super special shoutout. I can't tell you how much you made my life easier by taking care of equipment issues. THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH. I would have died had I needed to organize TV setups in addition to everything else.

OOS players
This tournament would have been nothing without you. Thank you for your support.

s-royal: I'm deeply honored that you wanted to come to my tournament. Thank you for taking such a long trip just to play Smash. I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Cort: you still make me gag. You're a good friend and it makes me very happy that you were able to attend. Your Peach is disgusting.

PC: you're a class act all the way and an amazing player to boot. It was my absolute pleasure hosting you; and yes, I do wish we've had more time to hang out.

ChuDatz: Peach is gay. Your Pikachu is ****; it was good to see that variety so far into the tournament. I look forward to you beastin' ICs in Brawl soon.

Mew2King: you're ridiculous at this game. Stop trying to steal people's blankets.

Azen: I'm glad you somewhat remember me :).

Chillin: I guess my hat threw you off, eh? You're much more friendly and respectful in person than other people would have me believe. I apologize for letting their soiled history with you influence my own opinions.

Tori + SilentWolf: sorry Nate, but you'll always be Tori to me. 9th best team in the nation? Too good. I've gotten to see you guys far more than I ever thought I would given how far away you live, and I consider that a pleasure.

Nevada peeps: sorry for the pool mixups! Hope everything worked out in the end, though. And I'm glad the girls found something to entertain themselves with!

Timmy and Tommy: I'm really sorry about the missing DS :(. Same thing goes for you as what I said to Tori and Otto; every chance to watch the crazy twin mindgames is a blast :).

Aftermath: wow, way to bleed me dry of raffle tickets. I thought the Aftermath Waveshine Challenge was actually difficult. :)

Arizona: you guys rock. Congrats to Wobbles for breaking through that wall :). Good attempt at convincing me to give you a shirt, Taj. Buttons was an enormous help on Saturday and I definitely owe him a lot.

SoCal
Mango: you are amazing. Look for Mango Juice details soon.

Ken: you'll get em next time.

Luigi: THANKS FOR THE VENUE!!! I hope we didn't leave it in too poor a condition. Way to step it up and represent the locals :).

Palmdale: is way too good. You're among my biggest supporters and best friends. Thanks for all the jokes, fun times, and kind words.

HugS: you're welcome for drawing forkgirl in the raffle.

DeepSoCal: sorry about the teams match guys, but it always happens to someone :(. Knives(z), I was really moved when you offered to take s-royal for the night. That was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done.

Ultra Luigi and Plan 9: I love seeing you guys :). PLAN 9, WE FORGOT TO PLAY!!! NOOOOOO!!!! And I didn't get any Oxnard strawberries :(.

NorCal
Sorry there wasn't a crew battle, but I think the tournament wrapped up well and I thought people would enjoy finishing at an early hour.

Zoap: thanks for helping with pools :).

Bob Money: is the classiest guy on the west coast.

Germ: is hilarious.

SilentSpectre: is quiet.

TANG: is ****.

Jr: your hair cut corner was way too good. It really added a lot to the tournament experience. Thank you for also being clean, courteous, and professional the entire time.

Other

tio: is way too ****ing good. It's seriously amazing. Brackets practically run themselves, and pools offer the flexibility needed to make a very complicated setup work. TOO GOOD.

Sunday night: one of the best nights I've ever had between the end of the tournament and the ridiculousness that was Chili's. Everyone who went to Chili's is amazing.

Everyone who stayed overnight: thanks for a night of few issues. You were quiet (for the most part) when you asked you to be. EXCEPT THE GUY WHO WAS SNORING ON THE STAGE. MAY YOU ROT IN HELL FOREVER. :)

KishPrime, KishSquared, and the Ship: this may seem out of place, but I really idolize you guys and the successes you've had with the FC series. I try to emulate a lot of the things you guys pioneer and the results are always a better tournament experience. Believe me when I say I would hardly know what to do at an event like SCC without the advice and example you've given me the last year-plus. I promise to come to an FC someday :).

Champ: I saved the best for last. I'm not sure what we did to deserve such an amazing event, but I think we pulled it off with very few troubles. You worked your *** off all weekend and even learned a little bit about tio, something you swore you'd never do, so HAH! You even beat me to the venue, so I can't make fun of you for being late anymore :(. When do you want to hold Champ Combo 64?

---

Where's the money, Lebowski???

A brief and very general summary of where the $2 venue fee went. With approximately 200 individual participants in the tournament and maybe 10 spectators, I had around $450 to use at my discretion. That money was used in the following ways:

• $130 went towards raffle prizes ($60 for Brawl; $25 for iTunes; $20 for Wii Points; $25 for Zelda keychains; no charge for the flag or the other prizes).
  • $40 for ink cartridges for my brother's amazing printer (thanks Oscar :)).
  • $40 for general office supplies (tape, name badges, raffle tickets, pens, markers, etc.).
  • $40 for video equipment.
  • $60? for power strips, once it became clear that we didn't have enough (I forget the exact total and can't find the receipt, but we bought 5 or 6 double packs of strips). I consider these the property of SoCal and will be bringing as many as I can to every tournament who needs them. Ditto for the video equipment.
  • $3 so Champ could enter the Pokemon side event. He got *****. I consider this a gross mismanagement of funds and humbly apologize to everyone who came.
  • $12 bought s-royal dinner at Chili's after the tournament.
  • About $70 went to various staff members for gas and other expenses.
So that adds up to what, around $400? I might've overestimated some things, but that's the gist of it. I'm keeping the rest of the money, which means I earned ~$50 - $80 from this tournament BEFORE accounting for my own gas expenditures. Anyone who feels this is unjustified given the amount of work I put in can gladly post their objections here :).

---

I made over a dozen spelling errors when making this post. I must be losing my touch.

---

RESULTS
You can view comprehensive results on my website: http://tia.nealpro.com/ttournament.aspx?id=149 . This includes bracket images and full results for pools.

Numerical results for the brackets follow.

Teams bracket:
1: Groom Blue (Azen + Chillin)
2: Big Red Apple 13 (PC Chris + Cort)
3: Super Duper (Mango + Lucky)
4: Who Wants to ****? (HugS + Mew2King)
5: Who the Hell Do You Think We Are? (Wobbles + Taj)
5: SilentSpectre + TANG (SilentSpectre + TANG)
7: The Monster (Manacloud + ChuDat)
7: King Arthur Supreme (Ken + Isai)
9: The Dan Plan (Jumpfreak + Eggz)
9: The Jason Zimmerman Fan Club (Cactuar + BobMoney)
9: s-royal + Forward (s-royal + Forward)
9: ChadBroChill & FamilyGuyFan69 (Silent Wolf + DJ Combo)
13: If we place higher than Mike Y and Knives they are buying us a big breakfast (Araknophobik + Evilnemesis)
13: Zelunigaspectradis (Zelgadis + LuninSpectra)
13: The Iron Chefs of Pounding Vaj (Arash + TheBoss)
13: SuperFlyPieces (Edrees + DieSuperFly)
17: Combination Fried Rice (JHoLLa + Hayato)
17: Hearts and Smiles (Rickety + Maple)
17: Charoo Pro (emerican + BoA)
17: Killer Lolis (Zhu + Falcomist)
17: Team Oblivion (Dark + Light)
17: Stinkfist (Wolf + Gabe)
17: Jim and Pam (Mike Y + Knivez)
17: Will Draw For Sex (Hella + The Germ)
25: Full Frontal Nudity (Zoap + sidefx)
25: Charoo Slap! (Aesis + petoo0)
25: Team Chipotle (forkgirl + Plairnkk)
25: Knights of San Jose (Mike666 + Bernard)
25: Rolling on the Charoo Jizzing (ROFL + Jizzanator)
25: Saintly Remains (BONE$ + Saint Patrick)
25: The Depth Deepens (Hyuga + Frotaz)
25: FTA (MEXICAN + Meep)

Singles bracket:
1: Mew2King
2: PC Chris
3: Mango
4: Cort
5: Wobbles
5: ChuDat
7: Forward
7: Ken
9: Chillin
9: HugS
9: Falcomist
9: Azen
13: TANG
13: MEXICAN
13: SilentSpectre
13: Taj
17: Evilnemesis
17: Light
17: Azn Lep
17: Simna ibn Sind
17: DJ Combo
17: DC
17: Zelgadis
17: emerican
25: Knivez
25: Romeo
25: BoA
25: Lee Puff
25: Silent Wolf
25: Edrees
25: VANS2
25: Zarelid
33: Plairnkk
33: Aesis
33: Mike Y
33: DieSuperFly
33: Cactuar
33: Isai
33: Zhu
33: Ultra Luigi
33: Azeem
33: SA2Jeff
33: HydroKirby
33: BobMoney
33: ROFL
33: Eggz
33: Frotaz
33: Mikael

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Good **** KoreanDJ for winning, you're the best, EASILY.

Beast coast, good beasting.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
MEXICAN 13th?!?!?!? OMG HAHA I <3 U.

congrats to mango, wobbles, and now that i've seen it, MEXICAN for placing unexpectedly high.

congrats to KDJ for winning. korean pride!

Chip.

you know what to do
Teams bracket:

1: Groom Blue (Azen + Chillin)
2: Big Red Apple 13 (PC Chris + Cort)
3: Super Duper (Mango + Lucky)
4: Who Wants to ****? (HugS + Mew2King)
5: Who the Hell Do You Think We Are? (Wobbles + Taj)
5: SilentSpectre + TANG (SilentSpectre + TANG)
7: The Monster (Manacloud + ChuDat)
7: King Arthur Supreme (Ken + Isai)
9: The Dan Plan (Jumpfreak + Eggz)
9: The Jason Zimmerman Fan Club (Cactuar + BobMoney)
9: s-royal + Forward (s-royal + Forward)
9: ChadBroChill & FamilyGuyFan69 (Silent Wolf + DJ Combo)
13: If we place higher than Mike Y and Knives they are buying us a big breakfast (Araknophobik + Evilnemesis)
13: Zelunigaspectradis (Zelgadis + LuninSpectra)
13: The Iron Chefs of Pounding Vaj (Arash + TheBoss)
13: SuperFlyPieces (Edrees + DieSuperFly)
17: Combination Fried Rice (JHoLLa + Hayato)
17: Hearts and Smiles (Rickety + Maple)
17: Charoo Pro (emerican + BoA)
17: Killer Lolis (Zhu + Falcomist)
17: Team Oblivion (Dark + Light)
17: Stinkfist (Wolf + Gabe)
17: Jim and Pam (Mike Y + Knivez)
17: Will Draw For Sex (Hella + The Germ)
25: Full Frontal Nudity (Zoap + sidefx)
25: Charoo Slap! (Aesis + petoo0)
25: Team Chipotle (forkgirl + Plairnkk)
25: Knights of San Jose (Mike666 + Bernard)
25: Rolling on the Charoo Jizzing (ROFL + Jizzanator)
25: Saintly Remains (BONE$ + Saint Patrick)
25: The Depth Deepens (Hyuga + Frotaz)
25: FTA (MEXICAN + Meep)

Singles bracket:

1: Mew2King
2: PC Chris
3: Mango
4: Cort
5: Wobbles
5: ChuDat
7: Forward
7: Ken
9: Chillin
9: HugS
9: Falcomist
9: Azen
13: TANG
13: MEXICAN
13: SilentSpectre
13: Taj
17: Evilnemesis
17: Light
17: Azn Lep
17: Simna ibn Sind
17: DJ Combo
17: DC
17: Zelgadis
17: emerican
25: Knivez
25: Romeo
25: BoA
25: Lee Puff
25: Silent Wolf
25: Edrees
25: VANS2
25: Zarelid
33: Plairnkk
33: Aesis
33: Mike Y
33: DieSuperFly
33: Cactuar
33: Isai
33: Zhu
33: Ultra Luigi
33: Azeem
33: SA2Jeff
33: HydroKirby
33: BobMoney
33: ROFL
33: Eggz
33: Frotaz
33: Mikael

Full results: http://tia.nealpro.com/ttournament.aspx?id=149 . Singles bracket looks a little wonky, give me a little while to fix it.

GGs

Good job WA, I'm proud of you guys.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Cool
Only
Nearly
God-like
Rapists
Are
That
Sexy

Many
Ears
Will
Kindly
Intake
Nothing
Greater

Anyway
Nobody
Died

Kindly
Open
Really
Even
And
New
Dungarees,
Jerk

Elen

Smash Lord
Cool
Only
Nearly
God-like
Rapists
Are
That
Sexy

Many
Ears
Will
Kindly
Intake
Nothing
Greater

Anyway
Nobody
Died

Kindly
Open
Really
Even
And
New
Dungarees,
Jerk
That was epic.

Btw, congrats@Cort for being a beast.

Tizex

Smash Journeyman
wow i didn't think you were in practice kdj but you proved me wrong

congrats bro

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Kdj wasn there, he played online from his wii. They lost his ip adress so he couldn even be properly posted, but we alll know he *****!!!

Evilnemesis

Smash Lord
Ken still went Marth I think

And wow at all the people still posting about kdj. ****s not funny anymore

EDIT: My Pools and singles bracket was ****en hard. Neal REALLY wanted me to get eliminated early on.....

GG Neal, maybe next time

Chip.

you know what to do
Wasn't this the tourny where Ken was playing Roy? Or was it Ganon?

That's what I've heard, but why would he do such a silly thing like that?

Ken is known to use lower tier/ different charachters, that he normally wouldn't use but still does at some tournaments (like SoCal bi-weeklies I think); but it would be absurd to do such a thing at the final and biggest MLG sponsered tournament of Melee before Brawl comes out; especially knowing since he lost his Title of Smash after his defeat from OC3P from PC, M2K, and Chu. I mean I would've guessed that he would make this tournament count and use his main (Marth) and try and take back the crown....

But that's what he should've done, right?

Well anyway, frick yeah at WA rapin! DJ Combo, Silent Wolf, and Eggz kicked butt; all placed very high ^_^

too bad Ka-master couldn't come.... he may have placed top ten or at least close too it..

The top three best in WA [Ka - 1st; Silent Wolf - 2nd; DJ Combo - 3rd] have all been very close in skill and no one could really decide who was the better player of the three, BUT after winning and taking 1st place for the past two WA monthlies AND placing the highest at SCC, I would say the new best in WA is:

DJ Combo

- that I'd throw that out there =)

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
Ken won Evo world. He doesn't need to prove he can win anymore. The fact that he used Luigi in his last match against Chu just shows he wasn't trying to win, but just trying to have fun.

Anyway, props to M2K for taking it and getting his revenge, and to PC Chris for using Falco again.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
yeah

Ken still went Marth I think

And wow at all the people still posting about kdj. ****s not funny anymore

EDIT: My Pools and singles bracket was ****en hard. Neal REALLY wanted me to get eliminated early on.....

GG Neal, maybe next time
ken was playing roy and ganondorf in pools and changed to marth mid way through the tourney cause people wanted to see it one last time in action.

Top Bottom