• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Whenever a Remake happens, I can see them adding stuff they weren’t able to put in before. Even stuff from Dark Dawn into the original. There’s a lot they could do. The question is, will they?
I never really thought of it honestly. Since the first Golden Sun and Dark Dawn mostly take place on the continent of Angara, there's a lot of potential here. If it links Dark Dawn better into the previous games, I'm all for it.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I imagine they would add slightly more content in a remake than in the original titles, but I don't think they're going to go crazy with it with a bunch of new locations or djinn or what have you. Maybe a new town/dungeon/side-quest, a new summon or two.

If they're really nice maybe they'd finally let you fight Alex. Sort of like how the Return of Samus remake added the Ridley fight.

I think the priority will just be to bring the series to an HD console for the first time and combine the initial games as intended. This isn't the kind of game that would get the biggest budget. But that's all I'm really looking for out of a remake. Anything extra is gravy.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well guys. How about that Nintendo Australia URL?

Context:
If we're getting just one more fighter, I doubt they'll put in the resources to make a stage+remixes, which Isaac would need.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
If it ends up being something like one of the new fighters comes with an echo, it could be Isaac and Matthew as an echo (or vice versa). Not at all banking on that, but hey it's possible. One of the few choices for a first party I think if we were to assume the extra slot is an echo.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Whenever a Remake happens, I can see them adding stuff they weren’t able to put in before. Even stuff from Dark Dawn into the original. There’s a lot they could do. The question is, will they?
I would believe they would if they intend to start making remakes. The thing is they have tons they can work with for the remakes.

According to the Camelot Software Planning Wikipedia page they have 44 people, but still have key component players in the Golden Sun making group.

Working on the Mario Sports title has prepared the team for working on HD games. Plus they can pull resources from Monolithsoft support team to help make games.

If they remake the Golden Sun games I can see them adding Beastmen and Belinski mentions alongside merging both The Broken Seal and The Lost Age.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn could be remade with more quality of life improvements like allowing backtracking to previous areas and to expand more on the story while leaving the cliff hanger.

The Fourth Golden Sun game (Solar Eclipse) would focus on what happened to Rief's sibling and what she was up to, which would be perfect to introduce a new team and the rest of Weyward we never got to see in Dark Dawn.

The Fifth Golden Sun game (The Lunar Colony) would focus on the other type of adepts that Alex mentioned at the end of Dark Dawn and would explain where the Wise One came from.

The Sixth Golden Sun game (The Wise One) could have all the parents and the children team up to fight against Alex and his forces leaving for one final battle for the future of Alchemy and its uses.

There is plenty they can pull from for more games, it is all according to whether Nintendo gives the go ahead for Remakes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the team who made Bravery Default could also potentially help with a new Golden Sun. The visual style of these games fit Golden Sun just a little better than Xenoblade. Even tho I played Xenoblade and never played Bravery Default. The natural environments of Xenoblade do seem to fit a Golden Sun scenario however...

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Gosh, these look so good! Sunset/Sunrise pics work so well for Isaac!

Man, all those “future games” you made up Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon just reminds me of how much untapped potential Golden Sun has to be something amazing. I wish Camelot would have been more motivated to make more since knowing that Nintendo actually wants more GS and have asked for more, but the Takahashi Bros are like, “Hmm, we’ll think about it.”. Here’s hoping they are a lot more motivated now that the Switch is a thing (something they predicted and wanted back in 2007).

Last edited:

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I could not care less about the dumb psynergy black hole vortexes that never got explained. I'm not convinced Camelot even had an explanation written for the black holes, I think they wrote it in as something ambiguous enough to be decided in later game development.

I also don't care about light and dark psynergy, elemental forces are just inherently more interesting to play with than light/dark.

I think the bravely default team has some good art direction, they make games with a very unique appearance. But they do still have some flaws. A lot of the character designs are too plain, and the sprite work in octopath traveler is VERY bland. If they remade Golden Sun they should do it with a 3D environment similar to octopath traveler using 2d sprites to explore it. Either that, or just remaster the original games so that the battle sprites are not so heavily compressed.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'm just now realizing that E3 is almost upon us. As always hoping for the GS reveal. I'm guessing maybe we'll even see the last two characters in the pass revealed as well? There have also been rumblings about there possibly being more characters after this pass but that that always starts circulation once we near the end of a fighter pass.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
SSF2 is giving Isaac a new idle animation. I love how fluid it looks!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I still think the best ending for Isaac’s reveal trailer is him fighting Master Hand with his Utility (hand) Psynergy (come on, Sakurai, you know that would be amazing).
Which makes me think of BitF’s comic:
B44950B4-9CE6-4208-9276-6CA0E6E309BF.jpeg

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Anything of note to speak of? I've just been on FF14 for a while now.
Don't think so. Nintendo's been quiet (probably saving up stuff for E3, fingers crossed for Golden Sun however unlikely that is), and Smash rumors are back to circulating the same few characters afaik. There has been talk of a potential secret 11th fighter based on url numbers on the official website, but nothing concrete and it could just as easily be a mii costume or nothing at all (I'm inclined to believe it's nothing).

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Anything of note to speak of? I've just been on FF14 for a while now.
While this isn't necessarily Golden Sun related, there was a recent article where an ex Nintendo designer states that F-Zero isn't dead, just hard to bring back without a grand idea. Which isn't new info since this was said a while back about wanting an innovative idea to bring the series back. Though I like that this debunks so many fan theories about why fans think F-Zero hasn't made a return. Things that commonly get said in regards to Golden Sun.

On that note, it was pretty surprising seeing a recent article talking about F-Zero's status and as curious as I am about Golden Sun, if it were to get an article like that talking about why it hasn't returned yet, it would pretty much mean it's obvs not going to have a remaster/remake announced at E3 which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While this isn't necessarily Golden Sun related, there was a recent article where an ex Nintendo designer states that F-Zero isn't dead, just hard to bring back without a grand idea. Which isn't new info since this was said a while back about wanting an innovative idea to bring the series back. Though I like that this debunks so many fan theories about why fans think F-Zero hasn't made a return. Things that commonly get said in regards to Golden Sun.

On that note, it was pretty surprising seeing a recent article talking about F-Zero's status and as curious as I am about Golden Sun, if it were to get an article like that talking about why it hasn't returned yet, it would pretty much mean it's obvs not going to have a remaster/remake announced at E3 which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for.
Sounds like we need to have a talk with one of the Golden Sun devs...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Sounds like we need to have a talk with one of the Golden Sun devs...
The last time the Takahashi brothers spoke on Golden Sun was back in 2012 when they talked about how difficult it was to work on a continuous rpg story, wanting a breather, and that if enough fans demanded it of them that they'd make another one but to give them time to work on the story. I remember years back an article where Miyamoto says he can't think of new ideas for another F-Zero game, so seeing this reiterated in 2021, it's a bit of a blow but I like it has nothing to do with Nintendo interference and more about the developer feeling there's nothing new to offer.

Similarly, I was always of the mind Golden Sun was being held back by the developers reasoning mentioned back in 2012. Not cause Nintendo is forcing Camelot to stick to Mario games only. It's a bit odd there's just been radio silence and not any note of whether the Takahashi brothers felt the fan demand was ever met. Though as mentioned I would be scared to see any upcoming article or interview asking about Golden Sun since it would kinda be like the F-Zero article.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm gonna crosspost my thoughts on the F-Zero statement.
Yeah, what they really mean with those quotes is they're not confident in the sales potential of a standard F-Zero game, so they're waiting until they have an idea which will change the formula enough to appeal it to a wider audience.

Like when FE fleshed out the whole relationship mechanic. Now IS is saying something similar with Advance Wars in that they'd like to bring it back, but since fewer people want a tank as a waifu, they're still brainstorming for a comparable hook. I'm paraphrasing, obviously.

Mario is Mario, so he needs no shakeup to sell. Hence why they can coast from NSMB to NSMB and not invoke the necessity of innovation.
Be cautious taking these statements at face value because Nintendo remains a business and what drives business is money. But devs aren't going to come out and say "it'll come back when we think it'll sell better". Devs don't talk like that because it's uncouth.

How many of Nintendo's highly successful series with consistent devs go dormant? How many of Nintendo's not top-tier franchises that may struggle with sales go dormant?

It's not a lie to say they're looking for new ideas. They are. Nintendo values innovation highly. But it's a half-truth, because it's not the whole picture.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yeah the other part of the picture is most likely Miyamoto himself being asked about F-Zero and being genuinely surprised that fans want more and felt that people had grown tired over it and feels it needs more innovation, so I felt that was pretty point blank in regards to how the creator of F Zero feels about the series. Obvs of course Miyamoto hasn't sat all these years not able to think of an innovative idea, there's likely years where he's not thinking of F Zero at all. Similarly with the Takahashi brothers and Golden Sun. It's just interesting to think about with that coming up recently. E3's almost upon us and it's way more fun when you can simply enjoy the game announcements without expectations.

Last edited:

pofehof

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna crosspost my thoughts on the F-Zero statement.

Yeah, what they really mean with those quotes is they're not confident in the sales potential of a standard F-Zero game
I think this is the main kicker. Look at the Metroid series for example. Nintendo heavily pushed it in the 2002-2007 era, then slowed down once they noticed sales were dropping for both the Prime games and 2D Metroid. Other M was their new idea, and it basically flopped, which resulted in a hiatus for the series. Samus Returns met sales expectations, so they are likely hoping it'll be the same for Prime 4. If that does poorly, I won't be surprised if there is another hiatus for the series.

As for Mario Golf, Camelot (and Nintendo) likely saw how Mario Tennis Aces broke their record for their best selling game, and that was early on in the Switch's lifespan. With Mario being Mario, and there being a bigger install base, they are probably hoping for Mario Golf to break or at least come close that record. It does help that Camelot was able to rework the gameplay for Aces and Super Rush's Speed Golf looks innovative, seeing that it shocked many people.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Know what, Camelot should do the safe thing and indeed keep making Mario Tennis and Golf. It's a safe project, guaranteed of making sales. It's just a shame they don't yet seem to have ambitions bigger than this. A Golden Sun game could change that. But am not gonna lie, the project will be more expensive, more time consuming, and likely won't bring up as much money either....

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Time to break the dour mood of this chat as of late with this awesome piece of work
Also don't forget the 20th anniversary celebration this August, keep sharing!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Time to break the dour mood of this chat as of late with this awesome piece of work
This does bring a smile to my face.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Felix’s unamused face whilst brushing off the leaves on his head is the best part.

Top Bottom