• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I completely agree, SonicLink. I think eventually we'll reach the promised land of a new Golden Sun, but we have to hold strong.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
My thoughts on other projects Camelot could take on now that both Tennis and Golf have seen a Switch release. I don't feel that they would suddenly start taking on more Mario sports, I'm in agreement with Nazyrus Nazyrus that they would just stick to the sports they enjoy making for that series.

Camelot has mentioned that they are an rpg studio at heart with that being most of their games before Mario sports. Which makes me feel that if they have room to work on another project, it would likely be an rpg. Which brings me to my next thought that I'm only worried about Camelot maybe choosing to do Shining Force 4 over Golden Sun. Since the president of Camelot back in as recent as 2017 has mentioned wanting to do that. While nothing has been said on Golden Sun since 2012.

Of course this means getting Sega on board again which could be very little chance since they moved on from Sega to Nintendo, but in this day and age where old games are getting reboots, remakes, sequels after some ten, fourteen, etc. years and seeing the light of day again it's like hmm, kind of hope that doesn't have a chance to pop up as an E3 announcement. Also the game is cool, it's just obviously that means Camelot is working on yet another title that would make the wait on Golden Sun returning even longer.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Remember that last tweet I shared from Liam? Well, it turns out he wasn't trying to insult Golden Sun fans. They just... took it a little too seriously. Wouldn't be the first time this guy got grilled by diehard fans of a franchise.

By the way, sorry again for sharing that earlier tweet. I didn't mean to put people in a bad mood here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Remember that last tweet I shared from Liam? Well, it turns out he wasn't trying to insult Golden Sun fans. They just... took it a little too seriously. Wouldn't be the first time this guy got grilled by diehard fans of a franchise.

By the way, sorry again for sharing that earlier tweet. I didn't mean to put people in a bad mood here.
I like how he comes from saying he wasn't making fun of fans, and then proceeds to say "lighten up when people make jokes about your dead game series". Well Liam, I didn't expect less from you.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Tone deaf tweet, tone deaf response. The series isn't dead and this guy's upset because we called him out on it.
This. Golden Sun aside, it's so common to see people resort to 'Hey it was just a joke buddy, chill!' when they get called out for saying something that they find themselves getting called out for. Also it doesn't come off sincere when even in the supposed apology one proceeds to continue to make the same jabs and insults.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I like how he comes from saying he wasn't making fun of fans, and then proceeds to say "lighten up when people make jokes about your dead game series". Well Liam, I didn't expect less from you.
It's a shame, too, because I enjoy his content and find them well-researched. He clearly didn't bother to do any research here, though.

Edit: I called him out and he responded with this, lol.

I said I wasn't offended, merely disappointed.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
To be somewhat fair he did jab F-Zero at the same time, a series he claims to like. It probably would have been better to just stick to the apology and not add the other stuff though.

Either way though I wouldn't really bother to advance this stuff or make it a big thing since I'm guessing he probably wasn't trying to be a jerk initially. Whole squabble kind of seems silly to me TBH.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Tbh the replies in his tweet are relatively tame. There are some video game fandoms where if one were to say the slightest thing bad about it that person would receive tons of hate and even death threats. But it is just best to move on from the topic. Of course the petty in me will remember this tweet however long it takes for Golden Sun to come back and then respond lol.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
All these twitter insults that are happening... sorry but this is so immature from both sides, both him for actually posting that, and you guys here for responding to this. Live and let live as simple as that.

I might come off as a d*ck but it does look that way. But he kinda is right though, unless we see something being announced in E3 or something, Golden Sun, as much as I hate to say it since its my favourite series, is as of today dead. Kinda scary to lose the last bit of hope, but personally I don't expect anything anymore, that doesnt mean I dont enjoy reading about you guys talking about the series, please continue to do so, it makes things wholesome at least, thank you for that.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
All these twitter insults that are happening... sorry but this is so immature from both sides, both him for actually posting that, and you guys here for responding to this. Live and let live as simple as that.

I might come off as a d*ck but it does look that way. But he kinda is right though, unless we see something being announced in E3 or something, Golden Sun, as much as I hate to say it since its my favourite series, is as of today dead. Kinda scary to lose the last bit of hope, but personally I don't expect anything anymore, that doesnt mean I dont enjoy reading about you guys talking about the series, please continue to do so, it makes things wholesome at least, thank you for that.
His first initial tweet targeted Billybae10K Billybae10K 's Golden Sun video who came to the thread to express how much it upset him. That's mainly what fans were calling him out for. Of course it's delved into the usual stuff we constantly hear about the series.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If you guys didn't know we had an onslaught of Final Fantasy 7 news come out today and one thing they showed was another more small scale remake of Final Fantasy 7. I feel a more pretty/stylistic version of something like this would be a really cool style to see Golden Sun come back in

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you guys didn't know we had an onslaught of Final Fantasy 7 news come out today and one thing they showed was another more small scale remake of Final Fantasy 7. I feel a more pretty/stylistic version of something like this would be a really cool style to see Golden Sun come back in
Playing FF7 on Switch now. It's insane how much better this quality is! I also see some definite inspiration that Golden Sun took from Final Fantasy as well as Dragon Quest after playing some entries ever since I last touched Golden Sun.

And it's honestly a shame because if given the proper attention, Golden Sun easily could've still competed with both franchises.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
This is exactly what I've hoped to see from a Golden Sun HD. Keep the base game more or less the same, but update/redo the graphics to look respectable on modern consoles. Another great example came today: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Instead of trying to make the games more like Sword and Shield, they appear to making a very faithful recreation of the games with modern graphics. Still top-down perspective, still using the same maps, and generally not reinventing the beloved originals. If Camelot came out with something like that, I know I would be preordering instantly, and you better believe I'd be spreading the word to anyone else willing to listen.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Another great example came today: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Instead of trying to make the games more like Sword and Shield, they appear to making a very faithful recreation of the games with modern graphics. Still top-down perspective, still using the same maps, and generally not reinventing the beloved originals.
It's fine to think that's what a GS remake should be, but I don't see it as something the DP remakes should've been. To me, Pokemon remakes are supposed to be about introducing new mechanics/items/abilities/moves to the old games, and this one doesn't seem to be doing that. Granted, Dynamax is just Poor Man's Mega Evolution, but still.

Smash Lord
I haven't been here in... months. Edit: Correction almost 2 years.

Are people holding up?
The Mario Golf stuff was a lot to take in after what we thought would happen and a lot people are turning down their expectations in general. On the bright side we are still are holding out hope that Camelot can get back to GS after Golf Super Rush especially with how much more expansive their sports games on Switch are, we're going to have a fan event to celebrate Golden Sun's anniversary in August as well so that should be fun.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tone deaf tweet, tone deaf response. The series isn't dead and this guy's upset because we called him out on it.

No... it's not dead... it's just living on a farm... upstate... with a bunch of other nice game series.

That'd be wonderful, but I'd be thrilled to just get this game on the Switch.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I haven't been here in... months. Edit: Correction almost 2 years.

Are people holding up?
Yup! I'm still excited for Golden Sun like always. Actually, with Golf out of the way, Camelot's next project, I truly believe, has to be Golden Sun now. The chances of them doing another Tennis game is extremely unlikely and the Switch has plenty of life ahead of it. Plus, with all these interesting things in Golf like the RPG mechanics, Open World, etc., it makes me think they are preparing to work on GS. However long it takes, we should keep things going and let Nintendo know we want this series back (and hopefully get Isaac in Smash too).
Hope we make Golden Sun's 20th Anniversary a BIG one!

Smash Lord
This is exactly what I've hoped to see from a Golden Sun HD. Keep the base game more or less the same, but update/redo the graphics to look respectable on modern consoles. Another great example came today: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Instead of trying to make the games more like Sword and Shield, they appear to making a very faithful recreation of the games with modern graphics. Still top-down perspective, still using the same maps, and generally not reinventing the beloved originals. If Camelot came out with something like that, I know I would be preordering instantly, and you better believe I'd be spreading the word to anyone else willing to listen.
Idk I don't want the games getting nothing more than a visual face lift and nothing else. As much as I love the Golden Sun games there are apparent flaws it has and remakes would have a chance to fix them, also a splash of new content goes a long way of having something new for veterans to look forward to. Also I was more of a fan of the older Pokémon remakes that reinvigorated the classics with further innovations from later games.The new Sinnoh remakes look OK but I feel like I'll take a pass on those

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
[funny .GIF removed for space]

No... it's not dead... it's just living on a farm... upstate... with a bunch of other nice game series.

That'd be wonderful, but I'd be thrilled to just get this game on the Switch.
Gotta keep faith somehow :p

But I do agree, as nice as it would be for GS to get the FF7 treatment, I'd take any appearance on the Switch. They could bring over the GBA games for $5 and I'd be all over it. The only thing that would sting a bit is being part of GBA NSO, since then the games wouldn't have the spotlight. They need to be allowed to shine on their own to really succeed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gotta keep faith somehow :p

But I do agree, as nice as it would be for GS to get the FF7 treatment, I'd take any appearance on the Switch. They could bring over the GBA games for $5 and I'd be all over it. The only thing that would sting a bit is being part of GBA NSO, since then the games wouldn't have the spotlight. They need to be allowed to shine on their own to really succeed.
I suspect the GBA games will show up soon after Nintendo deigns to actually put the system on there, but I was actually referring to the FF game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Now is the time for a new Golden Sun. Camelot has made Mario Tennis and Mario Golf for Switch. It is also good that Nintendo bought Next Level Games who see themselves as a Nintendo developer. This means more of Nintendo’s lesser known franchises will get another chance thanks for Next Level Games

Smash Lord
It's cool that Jon is entertaining the idea of a Golden Sun guest character in Mario Golf Super Rush. Sadly some of the replies think he's talking about the other Isaacs in gaming haha

Also here's a fun little meme I made for ya

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Also here's a fun little meme I made for ya
I'm not sure with Golden Sun, but I really like the chibi artstyle in D/P remake. Overly cute? Maybe, but it looks good and seems like a fun way of honoring how the old games looked, square tiles and all.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Looks like Version 11.0 is coming for Smash real soon. Sounds like Pyra/Mythra are releasing either Thursday or close to it. Thank goodness I took all my snapshots of Isaac in all the replays I had the other day. phew lol

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tennis and Golf are both outta the way now and Nintendo said that Switch is only about halfway through its lifecycle so hopefully seeing a new Golden Sun or remake in the next few years will be the win that the fans deserve.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Tennis and Golf are both outta the way now and Nintendo said that Switch is only about halfway through its lifecycle so hopefully seeing a new Golden Sun or remake in the next few years will be the win that the fans deserve.
that'd be just dandy.

Knowing our luck though they could be preparing Camelot to work on Mario Tennis: Ultra Aces for their future system the Nintendo Switch U for all we know.

but not to be a total downer or anything, I'm hopeful we will maybe see a new Golden Sun game at some point on the Switch's life probably at the very end of it when they already announced a new system and the new GS game gets middling reception hurting whatever sales it could have gotten alongside the unfortunate timing of the release.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So I can't say I'm optimistic about Isaac in FP2 at this point, but if you happen to be keeping up the faith, today's Direct was a bit of good news: the reason the new fighter is Pyra/Mythra instead of Rex/Pyra and/or Rex/Mythra is due to Ice Climbers-style complexity, not because of the Rex costume. In fact, Rex's spirit is being updated to evolve into a second form, so in case there was any doubt left, changing existing content is clearly not an issue. The Golden Sun may yet rise again!

Kalaam

Smash Ace
So I can't say I'm optimistic about Isaac in FP2 at this point, but if you happen to be keeping up the faith, today's Direct was a bit of good news: the reason the new fighter is Pyra/Mythra instead of Rex/Pyra and/or Rex/Mythra is due to Ice Climbers-style complexity, not because of the Rex costume. In fact, Rex's spirit is being updated to evolve into a second form, so in case there was any doubt left, changing existing content is clearly not an issue. The Golden Sun may yet rise again!
They also went to the length of creating new arts for spirits of character that didn't have official art.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
With Lloyd as the only Mii Costume left from Smash For, I'd would be shocked if he didn't make it into the game. That leaves one slot left, which I very well believe would be an Assist Trophy character. The only problem is, without a new game to promote, Isaac loses the popularity contest to Waluigi 10 out of 10 times. It's not out of the question, but it's certainly not likely.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
the reason the new fighter is Pyra/Mythra instead of Rex/Pyra and/or Rex/Mythra is due to Ice Climbers-style complexity, not because of the Rex costume.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Like I was thinking at the time of Pyra reveal, Rex wasn't selected because of complexity, not because of his current status. Once more, nothing official supports the fan rules.

Two more thing to note.
  • The presence of Capcom costumes. Monster Hunter is definitively out, but could that hinder Phoenix and Dante chances?
  • The lack of Lloyd costume. Will we see a Tales of character getting in in the end?

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
One other thing I was thinking after reading some comment on Phoenix thread, the Mii costumes are launched alongside a new game (MH) or a remake (G&G). They are promotional picks. Thus it can perfectly happen once more for a fighter... alongside a game remake... you know.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Two more thing to note.
  • The presence of Capcom costumes. Monster Hunter is definitively out, but could that hinder Phoenix and Dante chances?
  • The lack of Lloyd costume. Will we see a Tales of character getting in in the end?
I think Capcom's effectively out: while the excuse that Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection are out soon/now is legitimate, it still seems better to save them for a Capcom character pack if that was actually coming. I'd also argue that Capcom wouldn't be a third party frontrunner at this point anyway (with two slots, I'm eyeing Crash and Hayabusa), but I think this seals the deal.

Lloyd-wise, that's a hard one to crack. Could he be in over Crash and/or Hayabusa? Considering his notoriety in the Smash scene, I could certainly see it. It's certainly notable that his costume is still missing. That said, the lack of a Mii costume sure didn't save Geno, not to mention Lloyd hasn't been the most popular Tales character in ages (thanks Yuri). I think his chances are comparable to Isaac right now: I can see the logic for his inclusion, but I don't expect it to happen.

Top Bottom