• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
what would "stylish" means in this context tho' ? Also the recruitment on their website talks about an "original" work
This what breaks my brain. It could literally mean a specific style, but which one? it's such a vague way to describe anything lol. But considering They've been making so much Zelda remakes, I think it's probably along the same lines. GS does fit that type of styles in a way, medieval anime-ish looks, that is.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
"Stylish" is purposefully vague, but it could fit Golden Sun. I'm not saying it's a given, but given that GS games are typically bombastic and very good-looking for the systems they're on, you could certainly call them stylish.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This what breaks my brain. It could literally mean a specific style, but which one? it's such a vague way to describe anything lol. But considering They've been making so much Zelda remakes, I think it's probably along the same lines. GS does fit that type of styles in a way, medieval anime-ish looks, that is.
Are you still confident in a GS remake happening?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I guess stylish could mean "with a very pronounced visual style", something that would be very recognizable. Kind of like Persona 5 does it, or Links Awakening remake's visuals etc.
I'd hope Golden Sun does not run as bad as LA tho xD

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I remember someone (forgot who exactly) awhile back saying how they would easily take a GS Remake in the style of Link’s Awakening Remake.
Made me think Grezzo could potentially be helping Camelot with the GS Remake. Unfortunately, that’s just speculation with no concrete proof. But it makes sense with what we know so far. It’s weird that Grezzo would word it that way for hiring people for a “stylish fantasy” game.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It's interessting theory, we sadly can't know anything. But it would make sense with the trademark.
We didn't get any Mario Golf tm tho', we got a Mario Sports in late 2020 but that's it.
A Mario golf trademark already exists. As for the Mario sports trademark, that is still a mystery...

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I'd also be interested in knowing how you feel of a remake right now, I know it is still soon and I don't know if you feel comfortable talking about it or if your sources have mentioned anything after the Golf announcement.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Are you still confident in a GS remake happening?
I'd also be interested in knowing how you feel of a remake right now, I know it is still soon and I don't know if you feel comfortable talking about it or if your sources have mentioned anything after the Golf announcement.

I'm not gonna base it anymore on whatever I heard at this point because it clearly didn't happen in the order that it was heard. I still believe it's returning to the Switch, undoubtedly. I apologize for my source being wrong the first time ever in their life, I wish it wasn't about GS… but oh well.

Do I believe it's still coming? ABSOLUTELY, keep reading to know why.

At this point there are a few pivotal facts to point out:

• The nintendo Switch's life span is gonna be BIG from NIntendo has been saying, they repeated themselves on claiming that we are just about half way or something? Whatever… there's still years and years ahead for the Switch, that's the whole point.

• At this fourth year of the Nintendo Switch, Camelot has already released their 2 mario type of sport games, Tennis and Golf.

• I checked Camelot's releases per console, and they never released more than 1 game of the same sport in the same console they worked on each gen. There was always one tennis game, and one golf game. The only exception was the gameboy color, but back then they didn't have to make up many things for their games to stand out from the last one they made. Now it would be kinda hard for them to make a new tennis or golf game stand out from Aces or Super Rush, so I find it like 99% unlikely that they will be making another Tennis game immediately after this upcoming golf game. You don't top Aces that easily when it's their biggest success yet from their sport games.

So the question is simple, what is next from Camelot?

Mario Sports has only had Camelot involved once, for a small version of golf and tennis modes. This was for Mario Superstars, which sold horribly by the way. Bandai Namco made that game 90% of it, while Camelot's small collaboration was on the golf and tennis modes, but again, these are modes, not full games within a bigger game, so it's not something that takes them as much time to help with when most of the game is already handled by the 3rd party studio developing the rest of the game. So if by any chance camelot was to be in another collaboration for a mario sports game, it wouldn't take much time of development from them, that's why Tennis Aces was ready so fast after Mario Superstars. Superstars came in 2017, and Aces was 2018, most likely meaning that they were already working on Aces after having finished helping on Superstars.

The other Mario Sports game was Sports Mix, which was entirely made by Square Enix. So there's always a chance that a new Mario Sports game wouldn't have any involvement from Camelot.

So in terms of a BIG project from Camelot, and by big I mean a full actual game, the only thing left from them is Golden Sun.

People ask: but what about other sports? My answer is pretty simple: They won't.
It's been over 2 decades at this point of them just focusing on golf and tennis, that's their area of expertise and their favorite sports, Nintendo has had other studios to handle other type of sports. The reason they had nothing to do with Sports Mix is because it had none of the 2 sports they work with. This is literally proven fact in their history.

Conclusion? Golden Sun should be their next game, and if by any means they are involved helping in making a tennis + golf mode in an upcoming mario sports game made by whoever 3rd party studio (maybe Bamco again), I believe they would be working on an actual full game in no time after helping.

So Golden Sun should be coming either after this new Golf game, or with bad luck after a mario sports game that Camelot has to help with a bit.

Is it gonna be a 3D remake? or an HD version of the sprited game? I don't know. They don't seem to be going back to sprites at all, specially after they already made that jump to 3D with Dark Dawn, so If I had to guess, it's gonna be obviously in 3D. Is it gonna be still top view type of game? Maybe, similar to how Grezzo remade Link's awakening in that case (different visual style of course lol, I don't want claymation Isaac sir…). It would be the easiest thing to do plus that's how DD still focused on, camera-wise.

That's my stance now. Regardless of what I heard in the past, this is now just my stance based on the facts of how Camelot has worked as a company for the past 2 decades, it's almost common sense for GS to be back just based on what they have already made for the switch + the life span of the switch still ahead.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I'd be up for an email campaign to Camelot timed for the upcoming Golden Sun anniversary. It's so odd to me that the Takahashi Brothers left a message to the fans about the status of the series going forward and years later we don't have a follow up. Whether they feel there's still not enough demand for it, whether Nintendo is stricter in what they can make, whether they no longer think they can make Golden Sun a worthy project up to fan's standards. Just any kind of acknowledgement to know that they've heard us even if it's to say, 'Unfortunately...'

We talk about Nintendo. But during the letter campaign, if I'm not mistaken I think it was FlawedAI FlawedAI who was actually given the email to Camelot in their letter. It's like the Spiderman meme. Place Golden Sun on one pointing at Nintendo and Camelot, who are then pointing at each other.

My fear is despite doing those letter campaigns to Nintendo and all the social media exposure with Golden Sundays, that Camelot themselves still don't know we want Golden Sun. They could be in the belief that fans are severely disappointed and done after Dark Dawn and moved on to other series. And I'm not certain if Nintendo would make Camelot aware that fans have been reaching out and sending letters in hopes of the series return.

On top of that Camelot has no Twitter, which takes out that ease of reaching them like other game devs. I think one Takahashi Brother may be on there but don't know if he's active. This is why I think it's important to do the email campaign to Camelot as it'll take away the doubt of whether they truly heard us or not. And fan demand was the last thing put forward by them before the radio silence we've come to know.
Letter Campaigns to both Nintendo and Camelot would be great.

Make them physical paper letters (prefeer hand written).

I recall a consumer revolt which managed to damage a "news" organisaation through the use of a letter campaign to advertisers. Cost the "journalists" an eight or nine figure sum when advertisers backed out.

Now asking someone to stop support (saving you money) and asking someone to build something (costs money) is different, but the principle is there.

Last edited:

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I remember someone (forgot who exactly) awhile back saying how they would easily take a GS Remake in the style of Link’s Awakening Remake.
Made me think Grezzo could potentially be helping Camelot with the GS Remake. Unfortunately, that’s just speculation with no concrete proof. But it makes sense with what we know so far. It’s weird that Grezzo would word it that way for hiring people for a “stylish fantasy” game.
As much as I’d love to believe this, isn’t Grezzo doing Miitopia on Switch at the moment? Grezzo seems like the team to ask for help when making a remake so I’d say it makes sense if not for the fact they’re making something else.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I'm not gonna base it anymore on whatever I heard at this point because it clearly didn't happen in the order that it was heard. I still believe it's returning to the Switch, undoubtedly. I apologize for my source being wrong the first time ever in their life, I wish it wasn't about GS… but oh well.

• The nintendo Switch's life span is gonna be BIG from NIntendo has been saying, they repeated themselves on claiming that we are just about half way or something? Whatever… there's still years and years ahead for the Switch, that's the whole point.

• At this fourth year of the Nintendo Switch, Camelot has already released their 2 mario type of sport games, Tennis and Golf.

• I checked Camelot's releases per console, and they never released more than 1 game of the same sport in the same console they worked on each gen. There was always one tennis game, and one golf game. The only exception was the gameboy color, but back then they didn't have to make up many things for their games to stand out from the last one they made. Now it would be kinda hard for them to make a new tennis or golf game stand out from Aces or Super Rush, so I find it like 99% unlikely that they will be making another Tennis game immediately after this upcoming golf game. You don't top Aces that easily when it's their biggest success yet from their sport games.

Mario Sports has only had Camelot involved once, for a small version of golf and tennis modes. This was for Mario Superstars, which sold horribly by the way. Bandai Namco made that game 90% of it, while Camelot's small collaboration was on the golf and tennis modes, but again, these are modes, not full games within a bigger game, so it's not something that takes them as much time to help with when most of the game is already handled by the 3rd party studio developing the rest of the game. So if by any chance camelot was to be in another collaboration for a mario sports game, it wouldn't take much time of development from them, that's why Tennis Aces was ready so fast after Mario Superstars. Superstars came in 2017, and Aces was 2018, most likely meaning that they were already working on Aces after having finished helping on Superstars.

The other Mario Sports game was Sports Mix, which was entirely made by Square Enix. So there's always a chance that a new Mario Sports game wouldn't have any involvement from Camelot.

So in terms of a BIG project from Camelot, and by big I mean a full actual game, the only thing left from them is Golden Sun.

People ask: but what about other sports? My answer is pretty simple: They won't.
It's been over 2 decades at this point of them just focusing on golf and tennis, that's their area of expertise and their favorite sports, Nintendo has had other studios to handle other type of sports. The reason they had nothing to do with Sports Mix is because it had none of the 2 sports they work with. This is literally proven fact in their history.

Conclusion? Golden Sun should be their next game, and if by any means they are involved helping in making a tennis + golf mode in an upcoming mario sports game made by whoever 3rd party studio (maybe Bamco again), I believe they would be working on an actual full game in no time after helping.

So Golden Sun should be coming either after this new Golf game, or with bad luck after a mario sports game that Camelot has to help with a bit.

Is it gonna be a 3D remake? or an HD version of the sprited game? I don't know. They don't seem to be going back to sprites at all, specially after they already made that jump to 3D with Dark Dawn, so If I had to guess, it's gonna be obviously in 3D. Is it gonna be still top view type of game? Maybe, similar to how Grezzo remade Link's awakening in that case (different visual style of course lol, I don't want claymation Isaac sir…). It would be the easiest thing to do plus that's how DD still focused on, camera-wise.

That's my stance now. Regardless of what I heard in the past, this is now just my stance based on the facts of how Camelot has worked as a company for the past 2 decades, it's almost common sense for GS to be back just based on what they have already made for the switch + the life span of the switch still ahead.
Don't be apologized man, it's neither your fault nor your source's fault too. Things happened in a different way we thought and hoped.

But it's cool to see you again around here and still motivated for GS ^^

I do believe too they're working on something and that something is Golden Sun. With file size and the game release to be quite soon I'm sure they were finished a while back and now they are just polishing the game for the release.

May GS be done by Camelot, with some extra help, or by Grezzo or any other company, all it matters is that we have GS coming back.

The sun will rise again!

MrPerson0

Smash Rookie
This was for Mario Superstars, which sold horribly by the way.
The reason this game sold pretty poorly is a mix of people preferring to play this on console, not handheld (part of the reason why Mario Golf sold poorly on 3DS too), and that it released after the Switch came out. Also, one of the included sports probably wasn't popular overall (Horseback Riding).

As for why Camelot was able to release Aces so quickly, it was due to them already having Ultra Smash (did poorly on the Wii U, so Golf on it would have been a terrible idea) as a base to work off of. It seems once they were done with that, they were able to focus on Mario Golf, and likely needed more time to focus on the updated Speed Golf (characters running around holes for the first time) and hopefully a better story mode.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

For the record, I completely believe you but I suppose it's a timing situation right now. Pokemon and Zelda have their anniversaries this year and the last Smash fighter is likely to be unveiled by the end of this year, too. We also don't know when the Nintendo Switch Advanced is going to be unveiled.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want to agree with you, I'm not so sure about that. Mario Strikers, Mario Baseball, and Mario Basketball have been dormant now for quite some time, but if Golf turns out to be a success on Switch, I could see Nintendo have Camelot revive one of the above. It seems now more than ever, that the strategy of putting Mario's name on any game works really well.

I don't think that's likely, but just wanted to point out that GS does not need to be the only option for Camelot's next game. So we definitely need to keep our voices heard.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
As much as I want to agree with you, I'm not so sure about that. Mario Strikers, Mario Baseball, and Mario Basketball have been dormant now for quite some time, but if Golf turns out to be a success on Switch, I could see Nintendo have Camelot revive one of the above. It seems now more than ever, that the strategy of putting Mario's name on any game works really well.

I don't think that's likely, but just wanted to point out that GS does not need to be the only option for Camelot's next game. So we definitely need to keep our voices heard.
None of which have ever been developped by Camelot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

We could take it in many different ways honestly. While I do think Mario and Sonic on the Olympics covers many of the sports dormant, Camelot could properly revive them into their own thing. Sure.

Take note that they also once addressed their interest in making another DK64-like game, or a straight sequel to it. That is also a game that could potentially get priority over Golden Sun. Since Golden Sun is more niche than Donkey Kong after all. And in terms of world and graphic direction, Donkey Kong comes closer to Mario than Golden Sun, even IF Donkey Kong's more natural environments could be a perfect base for Golden Sun afterwards.

In general, the bigger the Camelot brand becomes, the more projects they could tackle, the more resources they have. And then the more secure they would feel in making a new Golden Sun. Maybe they will try their first RPG franchise before Golden Sun, as the Shining series..?

We will never know. I thought about giving Aces a shot earlier. After all it's a Mario game that has Diddy in it, that was enough for me to enjoy Mario sports games earlier.

The more money flows in for them, the better. We could try to have a little more faith. I mean, they have made their most obvious projects already. Let time take it's course. It's also possible Golden Sun is delayed for Nintendo's more in house RPG franchises as Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Because Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Golden Sun where the biggest RPG franchises on GBA before. They could take caution therefore.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Are golden sun 1+2 less Mean then the third one because this game had 3,5 points of no return

Last edited:

MrPerson0

Smash Rookie
I'm not so sure about that. Mario Strikers, Mario Baseball, and Mario Basketball have been dormant now for quite some time, but if Golf turns out to be a success on Switch, I could see Nintendo have Camelot revive one of the above.
I don't think so. Mario Strikers has always been done by NLG, Mario Baseball (and basic Soccer) by Bamco, etc. Nintendo would likely want to go back to the original devs for those sports. The main reason that Camelot seems to work on Golf and Tennis is because it seems that they are legitimately fans of those sports and want to make those kinds of games.

In general, the bigger the Camelot brand becomes, the more projects they could tackle, the more resources they have. And then the more secure they would feel in making a new Golden Sun. Maybe they will try their first RPG franchise before Golden Sun, as the Shining series..?
Does anyone know how many employees Camelot had in the 2000-2004 era? It seemed they were at their peak back then (in terms of games produced and quality of games), and they shrunk over time.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I do believe too they're working on something and that something is Golden Sun. With file size and the game release to be quite soon I'm sure they were finished a while back and now they are just polishing the game for the release.

May GS be done by Camelot, with some extra help, or by Grezzo or any other company, all it matters is that we have GS coming back.

The sun will rise again!
It's not just the file size, but you just gotta look at the trailer and it's already done, it's polished, which is how games always are when Camelot is ready to show them, they don't release much later than 6 months from announcement (only once or twice they had a delay in one of their games due to unfortunate and variated reasons). This game never took 3 years to be made lol. Nintendo clearly held back a lot of announcements that could have been shown in 2020, specially in late 2020, that's why we got this packed Nintendo direct. They most likely wanted to prepare something within 2021 to give better impressions to investors and costumers within the actual year, who knows.

Exactly, like I said, they have been perfectly fine working in their area of expertise which is Tennis and Golf, they are not getting out of it, and the chances of it are the most unlikely thing to expect from Camelot. It's more likely to just expect stuff they like and have made in the past, lol. There's no reason to expect anything else from them, there hasn't been for 2 decades now. People don't understand the risk that it means to them to work on stuff they aren't experienced with, it requires budget and it can be devastating to such a small company as their own if it isn't a success. It's just not a smart idea to invest on something you don't have guarantee to succeed. Meanwhile GS1 and 2 sold great in a time where things were more limited, like region-wise and such… today it would sell so much more + there is a huge demand for it from an existing fanbase, not to mention new players getting into it that are fangs or JRPGs and never were able to try GS before.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Which was not my point. If Mario Golf does well too, Nintendo could make them tackle some of the other sports series. I would not rule out that possibility.

People don't understand the risk that it means to them to work on stuff they aren't experienced with, it requires budget and it can be devastating to such a small company as their own if it isn't a success. It's just not a smart idea to invest on something you don't have guarantee to succeed.
Like say, invest on something like Golden Sun 11 years after its last release? As I said, the Mario brand has proven that it makes everything sell well. How much expertise does today's Camelot have with HD JRPGs? Could they reuse ideas, assets or models from Tennis & Golf for another sports game?

I'm not saying it's likely nor do I want that to happen but it's definitely a possibility. I just don't think that deterministic like after Tennis and Golf there HAS to be GS.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Off-topic, but will the other spiky-haired JRPG boy from the early 2000’s survive the next Mii Costume wave and end up playable?
I think if he does survive, he has pretty good chances. Though I am not going to lie, if this really is the "second chance" fighter pass, I hope Nintendo would turn around and look at the reactions for the November 2018 direct and throw an upgraded AT in the lineup.

I'd also like to know if a third pass, extra DLC or extra echo fighters is a possibility or if this is really it for ultimate. (I mean, if the Switch is at the middle of it's life cycle as Nintendo says and with an upgraded version coming, I would see how continuing supporting Smash would be a great business decision instead of letting it die, since I don't think we will get another entry in the same console)

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice

I don't see Mario Strikers being made by anyone except Next Level Games, even more so now that Nintendo owns them. Pretty sure Namco has had a hand in anything Baseball-related. Can't speak on the basketball game as I never paid much attention to it.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Are golden sun 1+2 less Mean then the third one because this game had 3,5 points of no return
The first 2 games don't exactly have any points of no return.

if you want to be a completionist with both games though, you will want to complete Golden Sun 1 before starting a file for Golden Sun 2, since stuff you collect in the first game can be carried over in the second game, and you actually need some of that carried over stuff to access certain optional content in the second game.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Here's the thing, Mario Strikers had a very unique identity that Next Level Games brought to it , they've well begun their next project so I feel like it won't be anybody besides them. Bandai Namco made a Mario Sports collection as recently as 2017 that had baseball in it so they're likely still up for working on that again. Square Enix is unique since they haven't worked on a Mario Sports game since the Wii but Hoops doesn't feel as likely to come back as those other two since it didn't even come back in the recent Sports collection on the 3DS and SE still might be always to open it if they want it to return.
I will acknowledge that Golden Sun isn't 100% certain what Camelot's next project would be, it could be work on another Nintendo IP, a Mario Sport that hasn't been done before or heck maybe a new IP entirely. Regardless out of all the potential games they can work on I still feel like GS is potentially super high priority now that Tennis and Golf is out of the way and we as fans just need to continue to show them that we want it

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Sad they revealed Mario Golf even if I was expecting it, despite what was told in this thread. But anyways, at least when they release it they won't have any projects related to Mario Sports, so maybe we'll see if Nintendo let them to do a new entry/remake. But I'm afraid they would launch the new title in the end of Switch life, because the next project would be in the end of 2023-2024...
Also, it'll be interesting to read the credits to see if Camelot has expanded, considering the success of MTA.
Does anyone know how many employees Camelot had in the 2000-2004 era? It seemed they were at their peak back then (in terms of games produced and quality of games), and they shrunk over time.
If I wrote well the credits some years ago, 37 employees from Camelot had worked in The Lost Age. In Dark Dawn there were 53 employees. And in Mario Tennis Aces was developed by 47 employees.
And, actually, in these numbers was included Sakuraba, so it one less (I didn't count the Nintendo ones at that time).
Takahashi brothers are proud to be a small team doing projects it would take more people in other studios, or at least they expressed that in some interview years ago.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
He looks good in this "filter". You all are going to love what's coming. Should hopefully give you all a good laugh or cheering up.

I don't know about you all, but now that Golf is out of the way and another Tennis game is extremely unlikely, there is only one other IP Camelot can tackle now and that is Golden Sun. With that, I am more hyped than ever for Golden Sun's return! I refuse to believe it took 2-3 years to make Golf, unless they've been working on Golden Sun at the same time and Golf was used to "experiment" for GS. Plus, I have my own reasons why I'm excited. ;)
Regardless, we shall not stop what we've worked hard for; reviving the GS community and continually keeping it active. These past 3 years have been the best years being a Golden Sun fan and I'm not going to let Golf bring us down. It should bring us up even more so.
Keep the Sun rising, Adepts. We will have our day! ☀

Top Bottom