• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also yeah it's getting over 100k viewers which is wild
B-but it's a Nintendo game that doesn't have a Smash fighter! There's no possible way that more than 3 people would be interested in it!

Nah it wouldn't just be GS fans watching it, GDQ gets high views regardless of the game. At least more people will learn how bad the AT is.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
So, at this point I've missed most of the GDQ run for Golden Sun. Will it be available on YT or something later?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The Golden Sun AGDQ speed run was really fun to watch, kudos to Plexa for his fantastic skills and to Bowie for his great commentary. We also got some good fanart out of this event which was a nice surprise and we amounted to over 126k views of the stream. Yes I know it's because AGDQ is a big event but that's still a lot of people that were exposed to Golden Sun with such a fantastic performance by Plexa

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Age of Calamity spirit event coming soon.

Does it nullify the chance of a Zelda character in this pass (especially Impa)?
For Impa? Yes.

For other BotW characters? I would have said yes but then I thought that if BotW 2 releases soon enough they could have Spirits from that game. So they still have a shot.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Donated twice during the intro and the Tobi-bound ship, but didn't get my donation read shouting out Isaac for Smash, sadface. Awesome, awesome run though. Saturos without Mia and before Tret was nuts and only a nuts person would do that fight.

I think the thing I loved the most was the djinn swapping strats of like "well flash is on Garet because his speed sucks and it has priority but we need two Jupiter on Mia for Plasma... ect." Legitimately the coolest thing in my teenage runs of Golden Sun was figuring out speed order and that I could summon at the start of a turn and use the djinn for that summon with faster characters, and seeing it be abused to the fullest degree in this run made me happy. Also the comment by Bowie that the djinni balance the game's difficulty got me all kinds of thinking. I made a video about how they're this awesome integral reward for exploration but I didn't even think about how their massive stats/power keep the game from being too hard or too easy.

In other news, the newest Nate the Hate podcast has both him and MVG stating they don't think anything is happening for the 20th anniversary of Golden Sun. I don't get it, he himself said Golf wasn't coming. Even if it is announced this month, it'll likely still be 3 years total development time before Camelot's game even comes out. Honestly, what do they think they're doing? What could they POSSIBLY be doing aside from Golden Sun Switch at this point?

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Donated twice during the intro and the Tobi-bound ship, but didn't get my donation read shouting out Isaac for Smash, sadface. Awesome, awesome run though. Saturos without Mia and before Tret was nuts and only a nuts person would do that fight.

I think the thing I loved the most was the djinn swapping strats of like "well flash is on Garet because his speed sucks and it has priority but we need two Jupiter on Mia for Plasma... ect." Legitimately the coolest thing in my teenage runs of Golden Sun was figuring out speed order and that I could summon at the start of a turn and use the djinn for that summon with faster characters, and seeing it be abused to the fullest degree in this run made me happy. Also the comment by Bowie that the djinni balance the game's difficulty got me all kinds of thinking. I made a video about how they're this awesome integral reward for exploration but I didn't even think about how their massive stats/power keep the game from being too hard or too easy.

In other news, the newest Nate the Hate podcast has both him and MVG stating they don't think anything is happening for the 20th anniversary of Golden Sun. I don't get it, he himself said Golf wasn't coming. Even if it is announced this month, it'll likely still be 3 years total development time before Camelot's game even comes out. Honestly, what do they think they're doing? What could they POSSIBLY be doing aside from Golden Sun Switch at this point?
If we think about it, it would just be pure coincidence that the game happens to drop on the 20th anniversary if we take Covid delays into account. I can agree that Nintendo likely won't make any big fanfare over Golden Sun's anniversary like they've done with Mario, Fire Emblem, and most likely Zelda. So in essence I can see the whole, 'Nintendo not doing anything for Golden Sun's 20th anniversary'. I just don't take it to mean that a game won't happen at all cause of that.

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's very obvious Nate hasn't heard anything on both a Golf or Golden Sun and is just taking the "safer" stance of it not happening. Apparently he also was sceptical of Banjo joining Smash so take that as you will

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
After hearing the more recent podcast, to me it sounds like NateDrake definitely flip flops when it comes to series like golden sun. After all these are his "predictions." From going from "no golf," then "golden sun project or golf", and now saying "switch online at best" sounds to me NateDrake isn't very sure what's going on with Camelot.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
After hearing the more recent podcast, to me it sounds like NateDrake definitely flip flops when it comes to series like golden sun. After all these are his "predictions." From going from "no golf," then "golden sun project or golf", and now saying "switch online at best" sounds to me NateDrake isn't very sure what's going on with Camelot.
Just to make sure, they haven't announced ANYTHING since Aces, right? Sorry, I'm not the most knowledgable about the situation. Granted, I did get a possible idea for what could end up happening based on recent events, but honestly it's too soon for me to make any claims.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Just to make sure, they haven't announced ANYTHING since Aces, right? Sorry, I'm not the most knowledgable about the situation. Granted, I did get a possible idea for what could end up happening based on recent events, but honestly it's too soon for me to make any claims.
There has indeed been not a single thing since Tennis Aces. Which at this point was finished at latest march 2018 and at earliest december 2017/january 2018

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Yup! It's been quite a long time since the last project has been announced.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There has indeed been not a single thing since Tennis Aces. Which at this point was finished at latest march 2018 and at earliest december 2017/january 2018
Yup! It's been quite a long time since the last project has been announced.
Alright, thanks for clarifying. I would go ahead and mention the idea I had, but it might be better to wait a bit and see how things turn out.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Don't mention it! Gotta keep the sun rising :D

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Something completely new? I doubt it, but it's possible.
Highhly unlikely imo, they wouldn't invest their big profit from Aces on something such as risking a new entirely thing / IP , it's not really smart business, plus they could have always made something new for over a decade and they just stick with what they are experienced with, with what their small team is experienced with. Honestly there isn't anything else realistically speaking aside from GS.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Highhly unlikely imo, they wouldn't invest their big profit from Aces on something such as risking a new entirely thing / IP , it's not really smart business, plus they could have always made something new for over a decade and they just stick with what they are experienced with, with what their small team is experienced with. Honestly there isn't anything else realistically speaking aside from GS.
Is there any reason to believe they could be working on another established IP? I agree all the evidence points to Golden Sun, but considering how much of their output has been Mario Tennis/Golf, it seems worth considering the possibility they're working on a major spin-off.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oooh that hurts Impa fans. Honestly, I'd love a Shiek Echo of OoT Impa.

I will say though, I personally believe that that (likely) shuts down Breath of the Wild characters, barring wacky hijinks that admittedly are not entirely impossible. It's actually a breath of fresh air for me, I love the game, but I did not want Breath of the Wild Zelda to take a slot, and Sakurai's couple mentions of her put me on edge about it. That's a new game kind of addition, not a DLC addition.
I dont want BotW Zelda- or anymore Zelda's, but I do think that was never the primary candidate. I have started convincing myself a Lynel is the most likely, but the King or another character could still be possible.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Is there any reason to believe they could be working on another established IP? I agree all the evidence points to Golden Sun, but considering how much of their output has been Mario Tennis/Golf, it seems worth considering the possibility they're working on a major spin-off.
No

As we've been observing the last long ass time, they make tennis/golf games, and they make RPGs. And they were itching to make a new RPG in 2017. So unless you think it's possible that they either went back to sega to make a new shining game from the state sega's been leaving it in, or they're making an entirely new RPG, that's kinda the only option.

Smash Lord
Here's something really cool this Twitter user dug up, the early logo of the first Golden Sun game during development
There was a problem fetching the tweet
*(edit- the original account that made this post went private so I'll post an image of it)
(Edit 2- okay the original tweet is back up but I'll keep the picture here in case they go private again)
20210109_110758.jpg

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I'm just hoping that all the detective work here supporting the idea that Camelot's next game isn't another sports game is true. :D

ZelDan

Smash Master
Here's something really cool this Twitter user dug up, the early logo of the first Golden Sun game during development
There was a problem fetching the tweet
*(edit- the original account that made this post went private so I'll post an image of it)
View attachment 298680
Interesting. Wonder how that would have looked in english.

Smash Lord
I was just tagged by one of the ex-Project M developers showing the development process behind the unfinished PM Isaac and some of the ideas they had that but couldn't get to. Take a look!

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
O-KAY, finally finished typing up my (latest) idea for an Isaac moveset, and it... may have taken longer than is reasonable... but whatever, am done and happy with it. If you wanna see it, click here, and I would love to get some feedback if you wanna give any.
Hey, I gave it a read and I was very surprised by your choice of specials. It's very ambitious but it gets to show off loads of Golden Sun combat mechanics, including the Djinn and the summons a lot, which is really cool. Personally, I think it's way too much, between the job system and the summons. In my head, it won't be anything crazier than Hero, and he won't have any attacks that are as flashy and screen obscuring as some of the summons.

That said, many of your grabs, smashes and tilts are bang on what I've thought of too. With the exception of Ragnarok, I see that as a side smash a lot, but I think it's worthy of being much bigger. Like a Power Guyser strength super special after you've got enough Djinni ready.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Hey, I gave it a read and I was very surprised by your choice of specials. It's very ambitious but it gets to show off loads of Golden Sun combat mechanics, including the Djinn and the summons a lot, which is really cool. Personally, I think it's way too much, between the job system and the summons. In my head, it won't be anything crazier than Hero, and he won't have any attacks that are as flashy and screen obscuring as some of the summons.

That said, many of your grabs, smashes and tilts are bang on what I've thought of too. With the exception of Ragnarok, I see that as a side smash a lot, but I think it's worthy of being much bigger. Like a Power Guyser strength super special after you've got enough Djinni ready.
I'm glad to hear you liked it! And yeah, I'll admit that it's a lot and that there's probably no real chance Isaac would actually get a moveset as bloated as what I gave him here, even if Sakurai were to try to incorporate the Djinn system into the moveset. I was mostly just trying to see how much of Golden Sun's systems I could cram into Isaac while sticking to the idea that he's earth mage first and foremost, hence why his only fire, wind and water attacks are in the form of Djinn unleashes and summons.

Though speaking of summons, I did have a couple reasons for giving him so many. First, my initial idea was to only give him the 1st and 2nd tiers of mono-element summons (along with Cybele), but I couldn't think of a satisfactory way to decide how to pick from multiple summoning options (I wanted to avoid any Hero-esque menus, though I've since thought of a workable solution). Second, I wanted to give Isaac a healing option, but giving him Cure or a healing Djinni felt too spammable, so I decided I to give him access to Coatlicue and her regen effect, and from there it felt wrong to just give him only one dual-element summon (especially one that doesn't even use his natural element).

As far as Ragnarok goes... honestly I don't think it should be Power Geyser/Buster Wolf levels of powerful. I mean yes, it is powerful and iconic, so it should definitely be a powerful attack, but I think making it a Terry-esque super special would be a little much, especially since it has a second tier in the form of Odyssey and thus isn't even the most powerful of its type.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Random question here, how do you think Korean smash audience would react to Isaac playable?

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Random question here, how do you think Korean smash audience would react to Isaac playable?
I don't think Golden Sun is completely unheard of in Korea, though it would be nice to hear from some Korean Smash players what they think of him. I'm sure they know him as the Assist Trophy at least, but beyond that I'd need to see some reaction videos.

In the OC Remix album Golden Sun Re-ignited, the 'Golden Sun Rises' track was sung by a Kpop pair and sung in Korean. So that seems promising to me.
Also the new trademark registered for Golden Sun does include South Korea this time, so much more of their population should know who he is soon :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What would be the local name of Isaac in Korea? 🤔

I doubt it's gonna beat Hans, and Vlad, but I'll be curious what they're gonna name him.

Changing languages to hear the different names shout by the announcer is gonna be more fun even than with Jigglypuff.

"PUMMELUFF"!!! "RONDOUDOU"!!! :ultjigglypuff:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
What would be the local name of Isaac in Korea? 🤔

I doubt it's gonna beat Hans, and Vlad, but I'll be curious what they're gonna name him.

Changing languages to hear the different names shout by the announcer is gonna be more fun even than with Jigglypuff.

"PUMMELUFF"!!! "RONDOUDOU"!!! :ultjigglypuff:
Most likely, they'll go with Robin, his Japanese name. I'm pretty sure Korea uses the Japanese voice clips for every character, so this would stay consistent.

Top Bottom