• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

"Wow, we sure saw a lot of releases in 2020!"

Can't tell if they're being serious or not.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

"Wow, we sure saw a lot of releases in 2020!"

Can't tell if they're being serious or not.
I feel bad for Itsuki that the TMS#FE section is just him in his Joker cosplay.

"No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask."

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I honestly don't know what would work for Golden Sun, and the traditional JRPG style, to my knowledge, has been a tougher sell for younger, modern audiences who like a little action in their RPGs, but I can't imagine how Golden Sun could upgrade their combat system to account for that.
Turn based RPG still work: look at Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Octopath or somewhat Paper Mario. Even Xenoblade isn't really an action game.

They just need to make it flashy and good looking, not action based.

I feel bad for Itsuki that the TMS#FE section is just him in his Joker cosplay.
I need to do this game some day.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Turn based RPG still work: look at Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Octopath or somewhat Paper Mario. Even Xenoblade isn't really an action game.

They just need to make it flashy and good looking, not action based.
Well, "flash" at least has never been something Golden Sun lacked. Even DD was plenty flashy, if not particularly good-looking.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I recently read a conversation on reddit in a thread listing Nis games on sale and someone was looking for rpgs on that list that could be similar to FF 6-9 and Golden Sun and said they cant scratch that itch without playing something they've played multiple times and someone else responded how not much exists in that realm on Switch.

The Djinn system and overworld psynergy of GS reminds me of FF7's materia system in the sense that it was something unique and different at its time and what helped to keep it memorable for fans. Obvs GS isn't at the iconic levels of FF7 in gaming media but I like coming across posts like the above of people trying to fill that Golden Sun shaped hole.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hello my Golden Brothers. Geno fan here, and I know we've been essentially back-to-back fighting since basically Melee but Brawl assuredly. Just letting you all know I still how the Golden Boy gets into Smash some day soon (or perhaps his son if for some reason they deem Isaac impossible) just like I'm still fighting for our puppet boy no matter the odds.

I will say that I heard an interesting rumor that implies certain folks in this support thread were involved in the Geno Thread getting taken down out of sheer jealousy and desire to replace it as the most active support thread. I don't believe it all that much honestly, but I will say if it's even remotely true, I would be disappointed in whoever from here was involved considering the bond our fandoms have had all these years.

Never forget, we are both in the same boat, just one of our fandoms has been in it for longer and with fewer games. Arguably, Isaac is still in worse shape than Geno at the current moment based on what you believe, seeing as ATs have unique models with moves that properly represent them even if it's more of a shell of the character as a whole and Mii Costumes are just customizable skins for customizable, self-insert character.

That said, I don't see ATs as a roadblock in all honesty. Never forget the backlash Nintendo got for both Waluigi and the hell you gave them about Isaac. Also, keep in mind that Spring Man was HEAVILY considered to be the chosen ARMS character among Ninjara and Min Min even though he was already a Spirit, Mii Costume AND an AT.

Fan demand and passage of time and accomplish anything, and Ultimate is the proof of that.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I will say that I heard an interesting rumor that implies certain folks in this support thread were involved in the Geno Thread getting taken down out of sheer jealousy and desire to replace it as the most active support thread. I don't believe it all that much honestly, but I will say if it's even remotely true, I would be disappointed in whoever from here was involved considering the bond our fandoms have had all these years.
lol what

In other speculation, I really hope we get an early general Nintendo Direct this year. Late January to mid-February would be ideal, just we get something. I'm pretty sure Super Mario 3D World is the only first-party game with a solid release date and that comes out in February. I'd like to have other games to get excited about.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
lol what

In other speculation, I really hope we get an early general Nintendo Direct this year. Late January to mid-February would be ideal, just we get something. I'm pretty sure Super Mario 3D World is the only first-party game with a solid release date and that comes out in February. I'd like to have other games to get excited about.
I was wondering if we may get a Nintendo Direct sometime in January/February because of Super Mario 3D World releasing next month and Nintendo still has yet to release any info regarding Bowser's Fury. Of course they could always end up just doing a direct specifically for that game, leading us to still keep the no general direct dry spell going.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I was wondering if we may get a Nintendo Direct sometime in January/February because of Super Mario 3D World releasing next month and Nintendo still has yet to release any info regarding Bowser's Fury. Of course they could always end up just doing a direct specifically for that game, leading us to still keep the no general direct dry spell going.
That's true, although I doubt Nintendo would do a Direct for a port. On the other hand, we could just get a Tiwtter video explaining it like Nintendo did at the end of 2020.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Nintendo's silence on Bowser's Fury when there's only a month to go is very weird. It does help the case of a January direct but as we've seen from Nintendo's approach this past year it's best to have cautious optimism at least and there's always the possibility of a shadow drop of a Bowser's Fury trailer. I'm really confident that a Zelda anniversary direct will happen in February though

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if Nintendo was comfortable putting Sakurai back into a studio for Sephiroth's showcase, I can't imagine we're too far off from having "normal" Directs as well. Granted, a general Direct before 3D World's February 12th release seems awfully soon, but between the lack of news for that game and the still-missing wave two of Mario 35th anniversary rewards, we're due for at least a small news drop in the near future.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if Nintendo was comfortable putting Sakurai back into a studio for Sephiroth's showcase, I can't imagine we're too far off from having "normal" Directs as well. Granted, a general Direct before 3D World's February 12th release seems awfully soon, but between the lack of news for that game and the still-missing wave two of Mario 35th anniversary rewards, we're due for at least a small news drop in the near future.
This, I've been trying to raise eyebrows on the matter for a while actually, about them being able to finally take the liberty to get a studio to record something if they are tight on schedule and home equipment isn't enough.

But in the end, 2 things must happen for us to get a first party news filled direct at all:

1) Have enough stuff piled up and ready to show to justify a direct, otherwise it will continue being stuff announced individually
2) That Nintendo stops this nonsense of only announcing stuff 2 months prior to release, when they could simply go back to announcing stuff with TBA dates or just a year release window.

Obviously the reason why the latter point wasn't possible in 2020 it's because they probably didn't want to just show logos of new titles and they didn't have polished enough content to create trailers (altho I would argue that that is not the case for every title in the making for the past 2 to 3 years that we haven't seen yet). Not just Camelot, but even other Nintendo affiliate such as Grezzo who I would argue should have something coming this year as well based on how they had something to release in 2017, 2018 and 2019, except for 2020 due to obvious reasons… maybe Grezzo will give us a new 2D zelda remade or something? who knows, it is the zelda's 35th anniversary after all, so it's possible they could be involved in something with the series again for this year. That's just speculation on Grezzo from my part anyway.

The fact is that it's not just Camelot who should have something ready for this year that obviously couldn't make it back in 2020, we are clueless overall on first party games from other affiliates of Nintendo that clearly have been working on something for a couple of years, if not even longer.

I personally don't have any high hopes for this month aside from them marketing the Mario 3D world bowser thing, the same way they marketed pikmin 3 a month prior its release… But here is to hoping that we stop knowing only one first party title at a time, sooner than later if possible…

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
This, I've been trying to raise eyebrows on the matter for a while actually, about them being able to finally take the liberty to get a studio to record something if they are tight on schedule and home equipment isn't enough.

But in the end, 2 things must happen for us to get a first party news filled direct at all:

1) Have enough stuff piled up and ready to show to justify a direct, otherwise it will continue being stuff announced individually
2) That Nintendo stops this nonsense of only announcing stuff 2 months prior to release, when they could simply go back to announcing stuff with TBA dates or just a year release window.

Obviously the reason why the latter point wasn't possible in 2020 it's because they probably didn't want to just show logos of new titles and they didn't have polished enough content to create trailers (altho I would argue that that is not the case for every title in the making for the past 2 to 3 years that we haven't seen yet). Not just Camelot, but even other Nintendo affiliate such as Grezzo who I would argue should have something coming this year as well based on how they had something to release in 2017, 2018 and 2019, except for 2020 due to obvious reasons… maybe Grezzo will give us a new 2D zelda remade or something? who knows, it is the zelda's 35th anniversary after all, so it's possible they could be involved in something with the series again for this year. That's just speculation on Grezzo from my part anyway.

The fact is that it's not just Camelot who should have something ready for this year that obviously couldn't make it back in 2020, we are clueless overall on first party games from other affiliates of Nintendo that clearly have been working on something for a couple of years, if not even longer.

I personally don't have any high hopes for this month aside from them marketing the Mario 3D world bowser thing, the same way they marketed pikmin 3 a month prior its release… But here is to hoping that we stop knowing only one first party title at a time, sooner than later if possible…
Honestly, unless Nintendo's been having problems behind the scenes, I don't think it would be hard to compile a general Direct if they felt so inclined. Here's a plausible announcement list:

• Two newly announced games for first half 2021 (let's say Golden Sun and Mario Sports for sake of example)
  • One or more teaser trailers between Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, and/or Bayonetta 3
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury feature reveal/hype trailer
  • Mario 35th Anniversary Wave Two
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Season Pass
  • Smash Bros. Character

Add the typical slate of third party announcements (Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, etc.) and you could easily get a 30-45 minute presentation, and that's without touching Pokemon or any smaller surprises they may have in store. That's also likely leaving some major E3-level surprises on the table for, well, E3 (Switch Pro, Splatoon 3, yet another Ocarina of Time remaster, ???). Of course, this also assumes that the way they've been doing Directs of late isn't the new normal, in which case we could be just getting more random news dumps, Indie World streams, and so on. That's...fine, I guess, but certainly not what I'd be looking for as a fan. I doubt we'll find out either way in January, but fingers crossed as always.

(Also, thanks for the notice Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept , I'll be sure to watch and pick up a shirt!)

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Yetee shirt's up now to celebrate Golden Sun AGDQ run, looks great, buying ASAP along with the Metroid one, also incredibly fire.

Wednesday morning for the east coast of the US for the Golden Sun run, should be about 4 hours long.
Ah **** I've got to get that, and I will, I just wish it wasn't yellow/gold. Yellow hues can be such hard colors to pull off in clothing (at least for me, if nothing else), especially as a focus color, and it's sooo yellow!

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
In all honesty, I'm not holding out hopes at this point. Nevertheless, I'll be overjoyed if Isaac ends up making the cut. If that happens, I hope Matthew becomes an alternate costume--similar to how Alph became an alternate of Olimar.

If I ever become a game director, mine ambition (or at least one of them) is to revive Golden Sun. I've already thought of a story and gameplay idea that would work.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly, unless Nintendo's been having problems behind the scenes, I don't think it would be hard to compile a general Direct if they felt so inclined. Here's a plausible announcement list:

• Two newly announced games for first half 2021 (let's say Golden Sun and Mario Sports for sake of example)
  • One or more teaser trailers between Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, and/or Bayonetta 3
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury feature reveal/hype trailer
  • Mario 35th Anniversary Wave Two
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Season Pass
  • Smash Bros. Character

Add the typical slate of third party announcements (Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, etc.) and you could easily get a 30-45 minute presentation, and that's without touching Pokemon or any smaller surprises they may have in store. That's also likely leaving some major E3-level surprises on the table for, well, E3 (Switch Pro, Splatoon 3, yet another Ocarina of Time remaster, ???). Of course, this also assumes that the way they've been doing Directs of late isn't the new normal, in which case we could be just getting more random news dumps, Indie World streams, and so on. That's...fine, I guess, but certainly not what I'd be looking for as a fan. I doubt we'll find out either way in January, but fingers crossed as always.

(Also, thanks for the notice Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept , I'll be sure to watch and pick up a shirt!)
Yeah they definitely should have enough with both stuff for this year originally and stuff delayed from 2020. It "should" be a packed year just going by that simple logic. Hopefully we do start getting groups of news aside from just 3rd party stuff from partner showcases lately 🤞. February will definitely have a Zelda anniversary direct or something like Mario did. My "guess" right now is that they will start promoting the mario 3d world game one exact month from release (if they do it sooner then yay for that), which would be on the 12th 🤔 but that's just a bet I'm making on that haha. HW dlc definitely has to be a thing after we saw the leaked audio files of some characters, so that's either shown at the anniversary thing or in a separate direct before that (if there's any before that).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If Nintendo keeps on with the two month announcement window, fits with an E3 announcement to release in August if they want to go full circle with the Golden Sun anniversary to release it same month the game debuted. Otherwise I've always had my expectations set in expecting the announcement in E3 timeframe for a holiday release since most of the GS games tended to release in the later half of the year.

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I'd be surprised if they don't return to normal directs very soon.

Shadow drops really only work with established names. You can drop whatever Mario or Zelda or whichever game out of nowhere and the name brand will take care of the rest. But for something like Golden Sun? That would take an actual direct with everyone already tuned in to watch.

And as others have said, they should have more than enough for one by this point. In addition to what's already been mentioned, there's Monolith Soft's new title and HAL's next Kirby, which have both been in development for quite a while.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd be surprised if they don't return to normal directs very soon.

Shadow drops really only work with established names. You can drop whatever Mario or Zelda or whichever game out of nowhere and the name brand will take care of the rest. But for something like Golden Sun? That would take an actual direct with everyone already tuned in to watch.

And as others have said, they should have more than enough for one by this point. In addition to what's already been mentioned, there's Monolith Soft's new title and HAL's next Kirby, which have both been in development for quite a while.
After Golden Sun managed to trend on twitter just from someone bringing to attention the initial start of the trademark process back in 2018 and had everyone talking about it. I think even with a shadow drop there will be tons of attention as not everyone follows the trademark so Golden Sun dropping out of nowhere will likely be lots of, 'Golden Sun is back?! I thought this series was dead!?' comments that will naturally make it trend again. But I do agree that Nintendo will likely save the announcement for a direct for a proper reveal that would reach a bigger audience.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Isaac’s reveal will be a grand one because no one else, except us who have been paying attention to the strange coincidences/happening around Isaac & GS, will expect it.

Every time I try to see other characters chances/theories/etc., they just fall apart. Isaac’s, however, just keeps getting stacked more and more over time with no signs of collapsing. It’s the weirdest thing. Yes, that may be my bias talking, but you can’t deny that these things weirdly go in favor for Isaac. In the end, either he is in, or this was all a sick joke from the universe. But fortunately, one thing is for sure happening that we can rejoice about soon and it’s that Golden Sun IS returning! ☀
I think it's premature to expect it.

Cautious optimism.
Boy would it make me happy.
Getting a new series in general does.
A new Nintendo series even more.
THIS series- well, I'll flip a table in joy.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The next Nintendo Direct seems to be close.

Thursday next week maybe?

Honestly, I don't expect a big one however.
Friendly reminder we got a bunch of those between october and november , like 10 updates if not more lol, and even through all of december we had a few, but nothing happened. At this point I wouldn't rely on updates every time they happen as a lead for a new direct, cause they clearly haven't been every single time. But this month would make sense to have news, for Mario 3D world at the very least 100%, but it would be nice to have more than that, and hopefully not just a partner showcase lol

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Age of Calamity spirit event coming soon.

Does it nullify the chance of a Zelda character in this pass (especially Impa)?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I don’t think anything is ever nullified because Sakurai does whatever the **** he wants but definitely a lot lower now, in my opinion.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

I wouldn't say Zelda characters are completely ruled out for DLC but its safe to say the AoC incarnation of Impa probably isn't happening. They would've saved these spirits for her DLC pack I'd assume if she was coming

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say Zelda characters are completely ruled out for DLC but its safe to say the AoC incarnation of Impa probably isn't happening. They would've saved these spirits for her DLC pack I'd assume if she was coming
Oooh that hurts Impa fans. Honestly, I'd love a Shiek Echo of OoT Impa.

I will say though, I personally believe that that (likely) shuts down Breath of the Wild characters, barring wacky hijinks that admittedly are not entirely impossible. It's actually a breath of fresh air for me, I love the game, but I did not want Breath of the Wild Zelda to take a slot, and Sakurai's couple mentions of her put me on edge about it. That's a new game kind of addition, not a DLC addition.

Top Bottom