• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
A part of me thinks it may be as simple as Sakurai not knowing about Golden Sun's anniversary lol. I think when Golden Sun comes back as an active series is when it'll get acknowledgment.
I mean, he has mentioned more obscure anniversaries before so I don't know about that.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
A part of me thinks it may be as simple as Sakurai not knowing about Golden Sun's anniversary lol. I think when Golden Sun comes back as an active series is when it'll get acknowledgment.
I don't know it does seem fishy that he posts about "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" and the Starfy games but a more successful series like Golden Sun somehow gets ignored. It of course can mean nothing but I'm keeping my eye out on these developments

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I mean, he has mentioned more obscure anniversaries before so I don't know about that.
I don't know it does seem fishy that he posts about "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" and the Starfy games but a more successful series like Golden Sun somehow gets ignored. It of course can mean nothing but I'm keeping my eye out on these developments
That series did make an appearance in Smash 4 while Isaac was cut. This wasn't meant to be a jab at Golden Sun, Sakurai is only human. Its even been mentioned here that Golden Sun's popularity isn't as prevalent in Japan compared to other places like Europe.

I've underestimated thinking Sakurai has full knowledge of everything when I thought there was no way he could not know that the Rathalos picture was reminiscent of Golden Sun's battle system. I wrote so many long posts in this thread analyzing that tweet and why Sakurai just has to know about all the GS references in that picture. Yet that blew up in my face and brought me back down to earth lol.

This is also just keeping in line with Sakurai never really talking about Isaac or Golden Sun. Not any acknowledgements like Geno received, not when he was cut in 4, whether that had to do with 3DS limitations or what. Not even when Isaac returned as an assist from Brawl after skipping Smash 4, with updated moves from his games. When other assists have stayed doing the same thing across all three games, Sakurai still did not talk about him.

He just never has, who knows why! Him seemingly skipping Golden Sun seems par the course to me so it doesn't come off too odd in this instance either and I don't think it's meant to speak less of Golden Sun if he gives the spotlight to something more obscure. I would think his tweets are for fun and less about having to keep up with everything in relation to the characters in Smash that would be so tedious.

I am of course on board with all theories relating to Isaac's possible Smash appearance because it's fun so I won't stay the stick in the mud about this, it's noted as interesting lol. I do think Golden Sun will get it's spotlight when it finally gets its returning announcement trailer.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
Golden Sun not being too popular in Japan doesn't matter too much. They added Banjo. Who is mostly popular in the West.
Punch Out also was even moreso niche in Japan as well. I remember somebody compiling how Japanese audiences felt about Little Mac and it didn't go as favourably as he did in the west

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Maybe Sakurai noticed all of SonicLink's Isaac Smash photos and thought "damn this guy is good, I better just let him handle it!" :4pacman:
Hehe. That would be the day. Funny enough, I believe I have over 3,500 pics of Isaac in my Switch and I’ve only ever put out a handful of them. One day, I’ll choose a day to do a dump load of Isaac pics that didn’t make it out yet. Lol

That series did make an appearance in Smash 4 while Isaac was cut. This wasn't meant to be a jab at Golden Sun, Sakurai is only human. Its even been mentioned here that Golden Sun's popularity isn't as prevalent in Japan compared to other places like Europe.

I've underestimated thinking Sakurai has full knowledge of everything when I thought there was no way he could not know that the Rathalos picture was reminiscent of Golden Sun's battle system. I wrote so many long posts in this thread analyzing that tweet and why Sakurai just has to know about all the GS references in that picture. Yet that blew up in my face and brought me back down to earth lol.

This is also just keeping in line with Sakurai never really talking about Isaac or Golden Sun. Not any acknowledgements like Geno received, not when he was cut in 4, whether that had to do with 3DS limitations or what. Not even when Isaac returned as an assist from Brawl after skipping Smash 4, with updated moves from his games. When other assists have stayed doing the same thing across all three games, Sakurai still did not talk about him.

He just never has, who knows why! Him seemingly skipping Golden Sun seems par the course to me so it doesn't come off too odd in this instance either and I don't think it's meant to speak less of Golden Sun if he gives the spotlight to something more obscure. I would think his tweets are for fun and less about having to keep up with everything in relation to the characters in Smash that would be so tedious.

I am of course on board with all theories relating to Isaac's possible Smash appearance because it's fun so I won't stay the stick in the mud about this, it's noted as interesting lol. I do think Golden Sun will get it's spotlight when it finally gets its returning announcement trailer.
Here’s something that I don’t understand. Him forgetting about Golden Sun is one thing, but for him and his team to all of a sudden give Golden Sun a ton of treatment in Ultimate which has the most content of any non-fighter series Rep today, plus revamped AT Isaac’s moveset and more; for a series that’s been dormant for nearly a decade (at the time)? Don’t forget that in Smash 4, we only had a Brawl Remix and a rip song from Dark Dawn. We almost had nothing in that game and Dark Dawn was fairly new then. Also, how convenient that not only did we not get a new Fighter/Stage, but weirdly didn’t get new music at all, which fits a Fighters Pass perfectly. ARMS and to an extent FF had the same thing happen to them and now that’s all fixed. It just doesn’t add up, unless you count a GS Rep is coming. At least, to me.

In the end, I’m probably looking too deep into it and it means absolutely nothing. But that wouldn’t be fun at all now would it? :p I’m having fun analyzing this stuff that strangely favors Isaac. We’ll see how this goes.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Hehe. That would be the day. Funny enough, I believe I have over 3,500 pics of Isaac in my Switch and I’ve only ever put out a handful of them. One day, I’ll choose a day to do a dump load of Isaac pics that didn’t make it out yet. Lol

Here’s something that I don’t understand. Him forgetting about Golden Sun is one thing, but for him and his team to all of a sudden give Golden Sun a ton of treatment in Ultimate which has the most content of any non-fighter series Rep today, plus revamped AT Isaac’s moveset and more; for a series that’s been dormant for nearly a decade (at the time)? Don’t forget that in Smash 4, we only had a Brawl Remix and a rip song from Dark Dawn. We almost had nothing in that game and Dark Dawn was fairly new then. Also, how convenient that not only did we not get a new Fighter/Stage, but weirdly didn’t get new music at all, which fits a Fighters Pass perfectly. ARMS and to an extent FF had the same thing happen to them and now that’s all fixed. It just doesn’t add up, unless you count a GS Rep is coming. At least, to me.

In the end, I’m probably looking too deep into it and it means absolutely nothing. But that wouldn’t be fun at all now would it? :p I’m having fun analyzing this stuff that strangely favors Isaac. We’ll see how this goes.
Yes currently that seems to be an interesting theory. Back in 2018 right after the Rathalos picture shenanigans and just before Isabelle was revealed in September, that's when the start of the trademark process began (of course at the time most of twitter thought it was simply another renewal and some did jump into thinking that it was about Smash).

Either way if that was the start of the process for Golden Sun's return then it makes sense for Nintendo to begin to bring Isaac back in the spotlight with the return of his assist and other content. And we could even say maybe Golden Sun would have had a playable rep if there was more time like with Arms, said rep will also be added via DLC. Sounds plausible and makes sense with Golden Sun on the way for Nintendo to want to add Isaac to Smash for extra hype for the new game. Of course it'd be nice if said game could get announced so we don't have to do so much hypotheticals in that regard lol.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You're right, that won't hold Isaac back. I just lean more towards Isaac being chosen for a spot by Nintendo rather than Sakurai.
Yeah, I just remembered that. 🤔 The only reasonable way this is gonna happen is of course if theres gonna be a new Golden Sun game. And it gotta come out in 2021. I personally think Isaac could be the very last character to be revealed because of this.
Well luckily it is Nintendo who is choosing.
Yeah, and this made me realize what an odd choice Sephiroth actually is. Unless Nintendo hopes to get the FF7 remake ported to Switch as well... which I kind of could see happening to be honest.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

He added that stuff because Isaac presumably did very well on the ballot.

He didn't add any new music because sometimes, as a non-playable series, you just don't get new music. In most series' cases, most of the time.

I think it's more straightforward than people make it out to be.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
It’s fun to see Isaac flying around like the Super Saiyan he is. Lol

He added that stuff because Isaac presumably did very well on the ballot.

He didn't add any new music because sometimes, as a non-playable series, you just don't get new music. In most series' cases, most of the time.

I think it's more straightforward than people make it out to be.
Oh yeah. All in all, it most likely has been straightforward all this time and it just wasn’t a priority then. That is a safe assumption to have and is needed to keep everyone’s expectations in check as to not be disappointed again.

But you can’t deny the very strange coincidences that’s happened either. Like, with as much content as GS got and Motoi Sakuraba there working on music for Smash, you’d think they’d have him make at least 1 song or rip another song from one of the games.

Regardless, we shouldn’t expect Isaac coming in this Pass. However, we shouldn’t count him out of the running for DLC either. Especially when a new game coming could potentially help his cause. Only time will tell, of course. Just keep the support going for GS/Isaac no matter what! ☀

Smash Lord
Looking back I'm even more glad that we had Golden Sunday to get this thread back under control after the assist reveal. It both served as a springboard for Isaac fans to push even harder for the series to return and for the people who didn't have hope for Isaac being promoted or Golden Sun to come back to at least have a swansong. Would suck if this thread ever got closed before a potential new Golden Sun Switch game got revealed but I have faith that we will be fine

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Our place rightfully reclaimed!

(Seriously, it got locked permanently? WTF happened??)
Nothing happened. In a typical display of hypocrisy that often happens with people in power, they shut it down simply because people were still talking and using the thread amicably (and hope-posting audible gasp). The reasons listed can be summed up as: "because we can and also we don't feel like doing our jobs if people come into the thread to stir up trouble we are shutting down the Geno thread".

But I'm not here to derail this thread just wanted to set the record straight with as much hyperbole as possible. Since the Geno thread is closed I'll probably be hanging here most since you guys actually seem to do a lot to support Isaac and I have a lot of respect for this fanbase and of course enjoy Golden Sun myself. I like that the focus here isn't just on Isaac getting in Smash and more about reviving Golden Sun in general and I can really get on board with that. Y'all seem like a good bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Nothing happened. In a typical display of hypocrisy that often happens with people in power, they shut it down simply because people were still talking and using the thread amicably (and hope-posting audible gasp). The reasons listed can be summed up as: "because we can and also we don't feel like doing our jobs if people come into the thread to stir up trouble we are shutting down the Geno thread".

But I'm not here to derail this thread just wanted to set the record straight with as much hyperbole as possible. Since the Geno thread is closed I'll probably be hanging here most since you guys actually seem to do a lot to support Isaac and I have a lot of respect for this fanbase and of course enjoy Golden Sun myself. I like that the focus here isn't just on Isaac getting in Smash and more about reviving Golden Sun in general and I can really get on board with that. Y'all seem like a good bunch.
Yeah, I heard about the thread being locked and went into expecting to see a bunch of crazy stuff AND........ nothing bad at all. Really weird that it was just shut down like that. Sorry guys.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yeah, I heard about the thread being locked and went into expecting to see a bunch of crazy stuff AND........ nothing bad at all. Really weird that it was just shut down like that. Sorry guys.
No worries. This is just one site for one game. Life goes on. There is still much work to be done as a fan and we don't really need this site to accomplish that it was just a nice place to converge. The costume and closure have inspired me to reach out to other threads anyway and that's not really a bad thing. I really genuinely hope you guys get Isaac in Smash one day and that Golden Sun games become a thriving series for Nintendo for all to enjoy.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey Isaac Thread, I'm yet another refugee of the Geno Thread but this place seems like a cool place to hang if you'll have me. For the record, I did vote for Isaac in the Smash Ballot and have been a big fan of his since the first Golden Sun game on GBA. I still think there's a good chance that assist trophies can get upgraded so here's to hoping that Isaac succeeds where Geno fell short.

Firox

Smash Master
The mods always seemed to disproportionately moderate the geno thread :/
Too true. The saddest part is that they left Geno supporters with nowhere to go. Even with the apparent deconfirm, there are still threads out there pushing for their various characters. It seems unfair to basically kill off the Geno thread just because the occasional troll would show up to heckle. It's not like we can just go into the General Newcomer thread. Just mentioning Geno in there with any kind of positivity will get you lynched. Oh well, I suppose it was time to throw Isaac the support he deserves now anyway.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Well said. Geno is alive!
That's the last thing said in the Geno thread, then it gets shutdown. While highly amusing, it's pretty crappy it was shut down like this.

If you're going to operate a forum like this, where fans discuss their opinions, share their feelings, express hopes, desires, and fears - I think its your responsibility to weather whatever storms may come. This place is a safe haven for devoted fans of the same game and ancillary franchises everyone here is, and now the Mods have essentially orbital striked one of the few gathering hubs for an already shattered fan base.

Sure they've gotten rowdy, they're grieving - sure assholes have snuck in here and there, but come on man. A hurricane swept in, obliterated the countryside, and now you've just bombed the refugee camp because of a few bad actors and looters. Disgusting.

Of course that all sounds more dramatic than it is, we're talking about a Smash forum here, but in general I stand by it. Even if there was a history in the Geno forum, you've gotta let the people speak, give them a place to grieve, and find hope again. You allow discussion of Smash here, even heated discussion, endure what comes with that, and deal with whatever breaks the rules on an individual basis so you don't harm the people you're claiming to try to help by taking such extreme actions.

Again, I have to reiterate, this is a Smash forum, and it should not be taken this seriously, but it is for many, many people, and that's still valid. I have nothing but respect for the Mods, but I think they should own up to the fact that this forum clearly means a lot to a lot of people, and the actions they've taken could likely have done more harm than good.

Oh, and uh, Isaac4Smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So… back to Isaac, which is the topic of this thread.

If Motoi Sakuraba was to make new arrangements for 2 or 3 or a few of golden sun tracks (that aren't the 2 we already have, similar to what sephiroth did, basically), which tracks would you particularly want new arrangements?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

If Motoi Sakuraba was to make new arrangements for 2 or 3 or a few of golden sun tracks (that aren't the 2 we already have, similar to what sephiroth did, basically), which tracks would you particularly want new arrangements?
I'll forever advocate for a Battle! Isaac remix and Venus Lighthouse is my favorite song in the series, but if I had to pick a third, it would be Colosso or Battle! Jenna. Both songs that would sound awesome in Smash.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Based on the trends of DLC in general, arrangements tend to be of songs that wouldn't otherwise fit within the song pool, see Aerith's Theme, Main Theme of FF7, and the persona ones we got for citation. Sure sometimes a song like opening bombing mission gets remixed just as is, but that's usually the focus.

With that in mind, I could easily see an Elemental Stars remix made for battle, or Forest Requiem even. Not just battle themes, but melodic songs that could work for a fight setting. Obviously Set Sail for the Karagol Sea as well, but it's actually rather broad what could be picked.

As for songs that do just work already, Walking Forward With Determination is a very strong contender for World Map representation, Venus and Mars lighthouse are equally perfect, inner sol sanctum would work well, apollo sanctum from DD, etc.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

I feel like Isaac's theme would definitely get remixed to be as awesome as possible for his reveal trailer.

beyond that, I don't know, there's alot of tunes that I would like to see added and would probably sound great remixed. Venus Lighthouse, Mars Lighthouse, Vs. Karst/Agatio, Elemental Stars and Mars Rock are some of my favorite GS tracks so I'll just say these ones.

Elemental Stars in particular could fit the "remixed to fit battle" idea similar to Aerith's theme.

Last edited:

Smash Lord

Isaac's Battle Theme because you'd be crazy not to

Saturos Battle , easily the best song in the franchise so this would be sweet

Elemental Stars , I could see the original version of the song not fitting Sakurai's desire for Smash music to fit the game so a more energetic version is possible

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think I'll play Golden Sun sometime to know more about the character before a possible Smash inclusion
Hopefully they'll add GBA to the NSO sooner than later. But I have little confidence atm because they really don't seem to give much of a **** about having decent access to their back catalogue these days.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

Based on the trends of DLC in general, arrangements tend to be of songs that wouldn't otherwise fit within the song pool, see Aerith's Theme, Main Theme of FF7, and the persona ones we got for citation. Sure sometimes a song like opening bombing mission gets remixed just as is, but that's usually the focus.
That's exactly what I was thinking. That's why, aside the usual contenders, I would add a remix of the main menu, a.k.a. Page One.

This one is rarely mentioned but I think it's one of the best "main menu" theme I ever heard. It is a call to adventure!

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hopefully they'll add GBA to the NSO sooner than later. But I have little confidence atm because they really don't seem to give much of a **** about having decent access to their back catalogue these days.
We are getting something better than that 😎

Isaac's Battle Theme because you'd be crazy not to

Saturos Battle , easily the best song in the franchise so this would be sweet

Elemental Stars , I could see the original version of the song not fitting Sakurai's desire for Smash music to fit the game so a more energetic version is possible
I agree, these seem to be obvious choices to have a special arrangement aside from the original version, or in case the original versions don't sound good enough for Ultimate even

So guys I saw this guy's post on twitter who has been posing renders and what not, and I loved what he did with the isaac model, so I went ahead and asked them if I could make a mock-up of an amiibo with it. I edited a bit on his face to be more interesting and with an actual emotion, as well as fixing one foot to make it work properly. I would love it if this was his official pose in Smash, what y'all think? 🧐

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.43.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom