• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, what do you think that One Winged Angel form at the end of the trailer was? It was definitely done in Smash graphics. Do you think we're getting new bosses to fight, or would that just be the start of Sephiroth's final smash?
It seems like it's his final smash - don't know if they'll go with Supernova or something shorter.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
So, what do you think that One Winged Angel form at the end of the trailer was? It was definitely done in Smash graphics. Do you think we're getting new bosses to fight, or would that just be the start of Sephiroth's final smash?
I assume that was his Final Smash.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Well, that was unexpected. Final Fantasy now becomes the first third-party franchise to have more than one unique character. What I'm confused about the most is the Omnislash Ver. 5 showing up, because I doubt that would be Sephiroth's Final Smash.
Many people think that if you use Cloud's Final Smash on Sephiroth it's going to upgrade into that one.
Nah, Geno's not dead until they add his Mii Fighter costume back. Until then, I have to think one of the Smash community's favorite choices still has a chance, especially now that we know they worked with Square Enix on FP2.
I'm expecting the costume at this point. There's no way they're picking a second character in this Pass from Square considering their reputation.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
It seems like it's his final smash - don't know if they'll go with Supernova or something shorter.
Oh. I didn't see that picture before - definitely a Final Smash in that case.

One could argue FP2 has been all about addressing the biggest omissions of base Ultimate: no ARMS rep, unusually bad representation for Cloud/FF7 compared to the rest of the roster, and the goliath that is Minecraft being left out altogether. As an Isaac fan, that's a pattern with substantial promise, although I imagine we'll need to see if Golden Sun HD is real first before we have a chance of getting that coveted playable Smash character.
Hmm... Another question for general consideration. If the theme of the whole pass is "making up for content that was perceived by the fans to be missing in base Ultimate", then what sort of content do you expect that encompasses? Obviously Golden Sun is a contender in this instance, but what other possibilities exist? I would posit that a new Xenoblade character (from X or 2) as another strong possibility. A second Namco character would fit this trend as well. Maybe even Astral Chain? What other options are there?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
It was unlikely a Nintendo character was going to be revealed. I was really hoping for Crash. Just don’t care for Sephiroth. He is totally deserving though as one of the most iconic gaming villains ever.

Also Sora and Geno are likely dead at this point. Square has 3 reps now and this one fills the Pass 2 spot. I suppose if there’s a Pass 3 there could be hope for them.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I still think Geno and or Sora could be in - they are so popular. I hope they do make another fighter pack - Shadow fan here - also would love our golden sun boy

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Well that was really something.

Also, hi again. Haven't posted on here in so long and it's good to be back at such an interesting time.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
What I'm confused about the most is the Omnislash Ver. 5 showing up, because I doubt that would be Sephiroth's Final Smash.
They probably just updated the Advent Children costume FS. It's not Sephiroth specific.
are there any locations in FF7 that are iconic and "belong" to Sephiroth that you could see becoming a stage?
It's indeed the Planet's core, the same stage that is in Dissidia.
Anyway Geno died so Isaac's the last big ballot choice left
Until he is seen as a Mii costume, I won't rejoice early. Sephiroth may be part of a deal to make Geno a full fighter.
Very much bummed that it's a character from a series that is already represented with a playable character. That just sucks for all the various worlds that could have been included.
That's my main concern with Sephiroth. Square Enix has much more to offer than another FF7 rep.
It is definitely the Final Smash.
If the theme of the whole pass is "making up for content that was perceived by the fans to be missing in base Ultimate", then what sort of content do you expect that encompasses?
Aside Golden Sun, maybe Xenoblade, but also other IP that doesn't have a fighter yet.

In himself, I don't mind Sephiroth, neither for or against him.
Looking at the global picture, it's harder to say. It is once more a somewhat unexpected pick, and it fills some hole the base game left: two things that can be beneficial to Isaac. At the same time, it doesn't remove anyone to the competition, and it even adds some more, like a second Sonic rep.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hmm... Another question for general consideration. If the theme of the whole pass is "making up for content that was perceived by the fans to be missing in base Ultimate", then what sort of content do you expect that encompasses? Obviously Golden Sun is a contender in this instance, but what other possibilities exist? I would posit that a new Xenoblade character (from X or 2) as another strong possibility. A second Namco character would fit this trend as well. Maybe even Astral Chain? What other options are there?
A Sonic character is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well, again this was unexpected. Not as upset right on the spot as I was with Steve. I'm just cool with it.
We have yet to get the big "ballot/fan request" character and honestly, there basically only Isaac left from the Ballot.
I doubt we'll get another Square character in the same pass (could happen, of course. We just had 2 companies get 2 rep over 2 passes: Microsoft and SquareEnix.) so Sora and Geno (though I could see Geno as FP6) are likely out of the picture.
So what's left ? Crash, Doomguy, Isaac... what are big names that feel impossible ?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Given that every rumor mill and top ten list article that's popped up on my phone had the usual Sora, Crash, Doom Guy etc. It's always fun when a character no one expects shows up as the Smash reveal, makes for the best reactions.

So three slots left. Sure there's a Nintendo character in there somewhere. Well on to next year and waiting for Nintendo to get around to announcing Golden Sun.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
Oh. I didn't see that picture before - definitely a Final Smash in that case.

In that case, I can totally see the rest of the pass being:

- Isaac
- Sonic rep (Eggman or Tails)
- Rex or Tales character

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
In that case, I can totally see the rest of the pass being:

• Isaac
  • Sonic rep (Eggman or Tails)
  • Rex or Tales character
Sonic and Xenoblade 2 both had music added, so they don't fit the definition of "missed base game content". There isn't anything to suggest that they skimped out on either intentionally, so there's no reason to think this fits either of them.

Golden Sun is the only franchise I'd say actually DOES fit that. and Tales to a lesser extent I suppose.

My guess is:
-Isaac
-Lloyd
-Lyn (Yes, Fire Emblem Lyn)

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I think this increases MH's chances due to having a Boss and 2 songs on the base game.

Sonic and Xenoblade 2 both had music added, so they don't fit the definition of "missed base game content". There isn't anything to suggest that they skimped out on either intentionally, so there's no reason to think this fits either of them.

Golden Sun is the only franchise I'd say actually DOES fit that. and Tales to a lesser extent I suppose.

My guess is:
-Isaac
-Lloyd
Lyn's backlash was nowhere near Bomberman's and he's a Mii Costume, so maybe she could get one too? Not to mention she uses a katana just like Seph.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Lyn's backlash was nowhere near Bomberman's and he's a Mii Costume, so maybe she could get one too? Not to mention she uses a katana just like Seph.
It's not so much about the backlash, it's more about the fact that we're likely getting elibe remade next year. I don't think "backlash" is as important as you're all making it out to be; the actually important factor is the marketability.

As for MH, well... let's just say that the fact we got the content we did is telling enough. Monster Hunter likely isn't on the table. It's important to recognize that because a lot of these things were base game sort of thing, that means it should logically also be names that floated around at that time. Steve did, and Sephiroth did too. A Monster Hunter did not.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
It's not so much about the backlash, it's more about the fact that we're likely getting elibe remade next year. I don't think "backlash" is as important as you're all making it out to be; the actually important factor is the marketability.
If Elibe gets a remake, it will be Binding Blade instead (the one SoV's director wants to do and the one without her). Even then I think FE4 is more likely.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I have a few different gut feelings about what’s coming up. This first one depends on if we get a deluxe Mii costume of Geno during Sephiroth’s showcase then the only 3rd party Mii costumes left from Smash 4 are Lloyd’s and 2 armors from Monster Hunter.

This has me thinking 2 of the 3 remaining COULD possibly be: Capcom and Bandai Namco.

I say could as Bandai Namco is the odd one here. Many of their Mii costumes have returned with non-related dlc characters. So it’s possible we don’t get a character from them.

For Capcom, Monster Hunter is just WAY too suspicious. Rathalos was added as a boss, which is quite huge for a series but there is only one song and one spirit for them??? That’s as strange as Final Fantasy only having the Cloud fighter spirits, but now we have Sephiroth dlc to hopefully fix that. So it seems likely for the Monster Hunter series to get more content, especially since an exclusive Switch game is releasing soon. But it is possible we just get a bunch of spirits when MH Rise releases.

Back to the topic of Bandai Namco possibly NOT getting a character. My other gut feeling is Sony finally getting in Smash. The “Everyone is Here” tag line feels even stronger if “Sony PlayStation” is in the list of collaboration trademarks.

I definitely believe Nintendo is adding another of their characters, I just hope it’s Isaac.

So my gut feeling is:
Monster Hunter/Capcom character
Nintendo character
Sony PlayStation character

Lastly...I’m in the camp that doesn’t believe those 4 extra slots for dlc characters will remain empty! I think we are getting either 4 echo fighter dlc or FP3 with just 4 characters. And there is nothing anyone can say to make me feel differently on this. Neither Sakurai or Nintendo said FP2 is the final dlc, they simply said there are no other plans for dlc. And we all know plans can change.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
There's another IP that can get more that it got in base game, and I feel it is in a weird place, being both quite obvious and yet not that certain: Zelda.

I mean, we got surprised by Sephiroth and yet it feels right. I could perfectly see Zelda getting another rep, and not Xenoblade nor Golden Sun.

My prediction for the last 3, in any order:
  • Capcom rep, most likely MH or Phoenix
  • "Obvious" Nintendo chill pick, like Zelda or XC rep
  • Isaac

I don't feel confident at all for any new westerners, like the usual Doom or Crash everyone predict. I have the feeling they don't fall in place, they don't fit.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's another IP that can get more that it got in base game, and I feel it is in a weird place, being both quite obvious and yet not that certain: Zelda.

I mean, we got surprised by Sephiroth and yet it feels right. I could perfectly see Zelda getting another rep, and not Xenoblade nor Golden Sun.

My prediction for the last 3, in any order:
  • Capcom rep, most likely MH or Phoenix
  • "Obvious" Nintendo chill pick, like Zelda or XC rep
  • Isaac

I don't feel confident at all for any new westerners, like the usual Doom or Crash everyone predict. I have the feeling they don't fall in place, they don't fit.
This is how Skull Kid still has a chance.:p

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
In fact next year is the 35th anniversary of Zelda. So it could totally be possible to get a new Zelda Rep. Maybe Impa from Age of Calamity or something like that

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't feel confident at all for any new westerners, like the usual Doom or Crash everyone predict
I'm not even sure if the Japanese characters that are usually predicted will make it in. After Sephiroth, playing it safe is a trip to failure.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

It is a shortened Super Nova for sure. That pose he's in is exclusive to when he casts the spell, and the glyph behind him is from the attacks animation as well. The shining rays of light from the blast are a sign as well. Super Nova was only around 15 seconds long in the Japanese version originally before getting super bloated in the international releases, so it may be based on that one.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just want to emphasize on this. For Nintendo owned IPs, ARMS and Golden Sun are the only ones who didn’t get new music (and obviously other stuff) Base Game. I forgot that FF also fits this issue. Now ARMS and FF are getting that missing content via DLC thanks to Min Min and Sephiroth. Golden Sun is left on this list.
Now, with GS HD on the way, Isaac would be perfect to add for all of this.

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Also remember how people were speculating that Hero was the result of Square wanting Cloud to be DLC but settled for him in base game in 2018

Pretty sure they settled on Sephiroth being DLC instead
Wait what? What speculation was this and what made people think it was plausible?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Wait what? What speculation was this and what made people think it was plausible?
I don’t know the full details, but apparently Cloud was the last character to be included in Base game Smash. They probably were in talks to add Sephiroth around that time. Which is probably why we got almost nothing FF wise...until now.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Stealth40k tweeted about it back in late 2018, about how Square was being stubborn about Cloud and his content. Many of us thought it was because of Hero, but it's far more likely it was for Sephiroth instead. Sakurai probably wanted more FF7 content close to the end of release, but couldn't get it without promising Cloud as DLC. So instead Nintendo promised Sephiroth as DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say that Steve invalidates that supposition, because expectation for Minecraft was predicated on the claims of a leaker, not the actual content (or lack thereof) in the game. That's not something Nintendo would course correct for.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I really do not believe the Monster Hunter would be dlc. Of course, anything can happen, but since the goal is to represent the game he is from, you cannot do it better than with the Rathalos bossfight. Monster Hunter games' main focus are the monsters, and Rathalos displays almost all the mechanics you can use against them. Stunning by hitting the head, staggering by dealing enough damage, flashbanging him to make it stop flying, using a pitfall to make it vulnerable, cutting its tail... This is how you play Monster Hunter. You cannot have Monster Hunter mechanics without a Monster to hunt.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My guess is:
-Isaac
-Lloyd
Honestly with Sephiroth using a sword and there being only three character slots left...

I don't see both Isaac and Lloyd getting in. (let alone Lyn on top of that)

I don't think another sword wielder is out of the question though, it's probably not fair to just call Sephiroth a "anime swordsman" but it's pretty obvious that he looks like that to your average sword hater. I just don't think all three of the remaining characters are going to be wielding swords or be from JRPGs.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'd probably hedge my bets on at least one of the remaining three characters not being humanoid. There's always been demand for non-human characters - Think of your Crash Bandicoots, Spyro the Dragons, Klonoa's, etc, etc. We had Banjo/Kazooie in the last pass to cater to those wanting more diversity than just human characters, I think it's a fair assumption we could see another get in this time, assuming we don't count Steve in that spot due to his exaggerated artstyle.

I'm still holding out my hope for Isaac, obviously, but if I were a betting man, I'd be betting on one more Nintendo character and that's it. I don't think these last three characters will be easy to predict though - Sephiroth & Steve both showed that the community is very good at following the wrong tracks, myself included, and I won't be surprised if the last three characters are none of the usual fare like Ryu, Crash, Doom Slayer, Sora, etc.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
The way I'd word it is:

"Most* of the pass will consist of characters/franchises that either missed the cut from the base game (Min Min), didn't have much content (Sephiroth) or had no content at all (Steve)."

Most has an asterisk because it's a pattern/theme that could easily be broken. Remember how everyone thought that Byleth's spot was going to a 3rd party?

Top Bottom