• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can see quotes on franchise distribution, "characters dancing" in his head, having a unique draw, having something only that character can do, displaying personality, but nothing about "silhouettes". Funny, if it's as important as you're saying it is, I would think it'd be in here.

If silhouettes were a concern we'd be wondering if Isaac's silhouette would be too similar to Roy for Sakurai to consider.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Silhouettes are important for animation, specifically keyframes. Silhouettes are only important in telegraphing how a move will work, it's used to convey power and speed depending on how the silhouette moves. It's much less important in determining character choices, if a factor at all, since plenty of characters already share similar silhouettes and that alone can be solved with different posing.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Everything is slowly falling into place
  1. The Trademark
  2. AT characters becoming more playable/ Not disproven to be considered for becoming playable (Arms rep reveal/ Bomberman)
  3. No new Mario golf game or Camelot game.
  4. The Rathalos tweet
  5. Ballot results and the information that characters were picked from the ballot.

this will lead up to an amazing reveal coming in a direct sometime between November and February.
You can probably add Motoi being back to composing for Ultimate despite still being just as busy as throughout the First Fighters pass.

It's not a huge thing on its own, but it's yet another puzzle piece that's falling into place.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
You can probably add Motoi being back to composing for Ultimate despite still being just as busy as throughout the First Fighters pass.

It's not a huge thing on its own, but it's yet another puzzle piece that's falling into place.
Yes, sakuraba a being back at it is another clue.

Last edited:

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
Everything is slowly falling into place
  1. The Trademark
  2. AT characters becoming more playable/ Not disproven to be considered for becoming playable (Arms rep reveal/ Bomberman)
  3. No new Mario golf game or Camelot game.
  4. The Rathalos tweet
  5. Ballot results and the information that characters were picked from the ballot.

this will lead up to an amazing reveal coming in a direct sometime between November and February.
Do you believe a Direct in November or February is possible? I mean, it has to happen at some point, but with this year precedents...

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Do you believe a Direct in November or February is possible? I mean, it has to happen at some point, but with this year precedents...
It seems like they've gotten mostly back into rhythm working from home, So I see less time between steve and the next fighter than between Arms reveal and Min Min reveal, and between Min Min reveal and Steve reveal.

Early to mid-December would be my best guess.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I would be kinda shocked if we got a general direct this year. The Partner Showcases have gotten better considering the last one, so I believe it will just be that and maybe another surprise game for December or CP8.

So I’m thinking an early January direct is the most likely time, especially since they need to talk about the new switch model (which I believe is coming out around the time of the new Monster Hunter game in March).

Last edited:

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I expect a Partner showcase next week, another one next month, and on December Nintendo would appear at TGA. This year we had a extremely quiet month, February quite the same. Right now, it seems the next Direct with first party announcements (probably a Mini) should be on January/February (as jweb23 jweb23 said, to announce the Switch "Pro").

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
To be honest, I expect a Partner showcase next week, another one next month, and on December Nintendo would appear at TGA. This year we had a extremely quiet month, February quite the same. Right now, it seems the next Direct with first party announcements (probably a Mini) should be on January/February (as jweb23 jweb23 said, to announce the Switch "Pro").
I'm inclined to agree. I'm also expecting a Tales presence very soon given the recent trademark of Tales of Luminaria.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
User was warned for this post
That’s not how anything works bruh! You made the claim so show your source or just drop it. No one is gonna do the homework for you.
Yeah. And I referenced things already in Smash, Bruh! Feel free to block me, bruh! I'm not going to write out an entire paper for you on a forum simply because you don't seem to understand google and the premise of a thesis.

Claim: Wolf didnt have enough of a silhouette:

Sakurai decided against it when he figured Wolf would be too indistinguishable from Fox, opting instead for the more visually distinct Falco. Although that anecdote isn't true, Wolf did receive some attention from fans back in 1999 when Sakurai asked which characters his audience would like to see in a second Smash.Mar 31, 2018
Claim: It is important to be able to see the character silhouette's heightened in battle.

One of the problems that some players have while playing Super Smash Bros. is keeping track of their character in the chaos of a four player match. This is even tougher when teams enter the fray, causing you to have to focus on their character as well as their teammate’s.
Lookup why we have 'character approaching,' lookup, 'importance of seeing one character during the chaotic battles of smash,' and play around with wording. If you care enough to do more than bloody *****, then the information is all there for you.

Or just troll, as you seem to want to do, bruh.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
I’m not sure why the word “bruh” irritates you so much, but that’s not the point of my reply to you. Let’s pretend “bruh” is not in my original reply since you assumed I’m trolling because of that. I was simply saying to link the article you were basing these claims off of:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/03/31/new-content-approaching-wolf-odonnell/

See how easy that is!? And I didn’t even have to write out an essay.

Anyways, the reason I looked up your citation was due to it contradicting your claim. There is a part of it which immediately confused me, so I needed to check if I was missing something. The section which confused me was this part:

“Although that anecdote isn’t true”

The definition of Anecdote:
A short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Because of that section, I couldn’t help but wonder what they were claiming wasn’t true. For those interested, here is the full paragraph:

Star Fox 64 served as the aesthetic basis for the brand’s representation in Super Smash Bros. and Melee. Wolf briefly cameoed in the latter’s opening cinematic, partaking in a dogfight against Fox. According to folklore, however, when Masahiro Sakurai decided to include clone characters, Wolf was initially selected to be Fox’s. Sakurai decided against it when he figured Wolf would be too indistinguishable from Fox, opting instead for the more visually distinct Falco. Although that anecdote isn’t true, Wolf did receive some attention from fans back in 1999 when Sakurai asked which characters his audience would like to see in a second Smash.

So your source is literally saying the idea of Wolf not getting in Melee due to being similarly shaped to Fox is NOT true. It’s just a made up assumption. None of that was ever stated by Sakurai or anyone on his development team.

So I’m not sure why you’re getting so worked up over something that was simply speculated.

But hey, maybe I misread something. Maybe you have a better source to prove your claim. If you do, feel free to LINK it and let us know bruh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
User was warned for this post
Yeah. And I referenced things already in Smash, Bruh! Feel free to block me, bruh! I'm not going to write out an entire paper for you on a forum simply because you don't seem to understand google and the premise of a thesis.

Claim: Wolf didnt have enough of a silhouette:

Claim: It is important to be able to see the character silhouette's heightened in battle.

Lookup why we have 'character approaching,' lookup, 'importance of seeing one character during the chaotic battles of smash,' and play around with wording. If you care enough to do more than bloody *****, then the information is all there for you.

Or just troll, as you seem to want to do, bruh.
Aren't you the guy who couldn't be arsed to go into the Lloyd thread to learn why people like Lloyd? And now you come here all high and mighty spouting wild (and, oops, also inaccurate) claims and telling people to look them up by themselves. Hypocrite much?

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I'm inclined to agree. I'm also expecting a Tales presence very soon given the recent trademark of Tales of Luminaria.
Yeah, I really hope we had more Tales of games on the Switch. I only played the oldest Tales of games, Tales of Phantasia (my personal favorite), Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia. Only new one I played was Zestiria, but I didn't enjoyed as much as I wanted (I left it after 10-15 hours).

A character from the franchise on Smash is more than welcome! I need to play Symphonia, but Lloyd design is really cool. Although, my personal favorite would be Cless Alvein.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I am extremely curious about what Tales of Luminaria could be. I think it could easily be the switch Tales of game that Namco was discussing back in 2017, since Vesperia DE wasn't a new game like they directly said the project was. Plus the Tales of team has been teasing "big news" for months now, and yet nothing has happened so far. Crestoria hasn't even been out three months and just got a animation, so I really don't think it's a new mobile game, either.

Whatever it is, it's DEFINITELY also one of Sakuraba's projects that he's been busy on.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I am extremely curious about what Tales of Luminaria could be. I think it could easily be the switch Tales of game that Namco was discussing back in 2017, since Vesperia DE wasn't a new game like they directly said the project was. Plus the Tales of team has been teasing "big news" for months now, and yet nothing has happened so far. Crestoria hasn't even been out three months and just got a animation, so I really don't think it's a new mobile game, either.

Whatever it is, it's DEFINITELY also one of Sakuraba's projects that he's been busy on.
I missed that. Namco said an exclusive Tales of for the Switch was in development? That sounds promising!

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I missed that. Namco said an exclusive Tales of for the Switch was in development? That sounds promising!

It was info distributed from here. Considering how Vesperia DE was just also on Switch rather than specifically on it, I kinda doubt that was what they were meaning

The article headline says "slated for 2017" but the actual article says it's TBD.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah, I really hope we had more Tales of games on the Switch. I only played the oldest Tales of games, Tales of Phantasia (my personal favorite), Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia. Only new one I played was Zestiria, but I didn't enjoyed as much as I wanted (I left it after 10-15 hours).

A character from the franchise on Smash is more than welcome! I need to play Symphonia, but Lloyd design is really cool. Although, my personal favorite would be Cless Alvein.

Eyy, Cress gang!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
The Minecraft world is big, but nothing that Isaac can’t handle.

It’s weird that I’ve never played a “Tales Of” game before and yet I root for Lloyd to get in. Maybe because we GS fans and Tales Of Fans share the same awesome composer? I did get Symphonia for sale on Steam, however. Don’t know when I’ll get to it, but it’s there waiting for me.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Minecraft world is big, but nothing that Isaac can’t handle.

It’s weird that I’ve never played a “Tales Of” game before and yet I root for Lloyd to get in. Maybe because we GS fans and Tales Of Fans share the same awesome composer? I did get Symphonia for sale on Steam, however. Don’t know when I’ll get to it, but it’s there waiting for me.
I don't know much about him, but he has two swords, a combo-heavy playstyle that sounds like something I'd vibe with, an awesome final boss theme with a name that couldn't be more fitting, and he's in a pretty good spot if he can avoid the Mii Costume Curse. He sounds like someone I can support without issue.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, Nomura is being kind of cryptic about Kingdom Hearts' presence on Switch. I read the actual comments but it's hard to tell context from an English translation of a Japanese interview.

My gut says it's a side project like CoM or D3, but a lot of people instantly jumped on the Sora in smash train. What does everyone else think?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Primarily, because silhouette's have mattered to some variety since the start of the game. It's why we had Falco over Wolf, it's why we have the familiar 'Challenger Approaches' sign, and yeah- Sakurai has said that it's one of the ways he knows fans see variances in the competitiveness of the fighters.

I'm not saying they don't have differences, I'm just saying they casually don't actually cover much of different needed checklists.

Again, just how I see it, I'm not really looking to turn this into a bash of Lloyd. I just see more worlds where one would option out a character rather than not. And that I don't think Isaac is even inherently more likely, though I'd of course prefer him.
Not really. Similar silhouettes don't really matter even for clone/Echo characters. It's about a similar skeleton from I've heard. But non the less, similar silhouettes don't have importance.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Apparently, Nomura is being kind of cryptic about Kingdom Hearts' presence on Switch. I read the actual comments but it's hard to tell context from an English translation of a Japanese interview.

My gut says it's a side project like CoM or D3, but a lot of people instantly jumped on the Sora in smash train. What does everyone else think?
The Smash fandom has made an art form of thinking nearly everything is some cryptic clue to a character's inclusion in Smash lol. Though it seems like anytime fans inquire a certain game developer about their series in regards to it being on Switch, it's either a confident no or the 'well not really no but not really yes either.'

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

The devs also said that they couldn't port the main games. Unless they're making a new Switch exclusive I don't see the incentive to add him to the Pass (other than fan demand).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I lowkey believe Isaac could still make it into Ultimate's roster since him, Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, K. Rool, and Ridley have been the most constantly requested characters since the Brawl days and 3 of them are already in with just Isaac and Geno being left. I believe it's very possible we could get both Issac and Geno before Ultimate is all wrapped up.

D

Deleted member

I lowkey believe Isaac could still make it into Ultimate's roster since him, Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, K. Rool, and Ridley have been the most constantly requested characters since the Brawl days and 3 of them are already in with just Isaac and Geno being left. I believe it's very possible we could get both Issac and Geno before Ultimate is all wrapped up.
While I have my doubts that Assist Trophy Promotions will happen, if they do, I still don't think they'll happen much. Probably just 1 if I were to be honest.

But if that comes to pass, I do think the one and only that they would pick would indeed be Isaac (sorry Waluigi).

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
The Smash fandom has made an art form of thinking nearly everything is some cryptic clue to a character's inclusion in Smash lol. Though it seems like anytime fans inquire a certain game developer about their series in regards to it being on Switch, it's either a confident no or the 'well not really no but not really yes either.'
Some would say we're perfect examples of that, Lol

Like the little sprout item. We tried so hard only for it to be a generic healing item. Good times.

D

Deleted member

Apologies if this was discussed before. I just can't look back through 1100 pages =P

The most suggested Golden Sun stage idea I've seen is Venus Lighthouse. Isn't that the final dungeon of the first game? I think it is and that makes he hesitant to believe they'll use it if Isaac gets in.

I'm thinking they'll use the Sol Sanctum instead.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Even though Isaac is my most wanted character, the only reason I believe he has a chance is due to so much pointing towards a new Golden Sun game. If not for the trademark and insider info... I would not be as optimistic as I have been. Plus, with Nintendo picking the dlc, it’s hard to believe they would be reviving a beloved franchise in the middle of Smash dlc and not add a character from the series. So as long as there are open spots and the new Golden Sun hasn’t been announced...I’ll have hope for a Golden Sun character!

Geno, on the other hand, is kind of in an odd situation. I say that because it doesn’t make much sense to me to reveal him after Mario’s 35th anniversary. So I feel if Geno is not CP8...then his chances take a significant hit. It’s tough enough having to go through Square Enix again and remember Geno has steep competition considering SE owns the most icon female video game character of all time being Lara Croft. I’m thinking a special mii costume for Geno is the most likely, but I would like to see the Geno fans happy with a playable character.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
I’m not sure why the word “bruh” irritates you so much, but that’s not the point of my reply to you. Let’s pretend “bruh” is not in my original reply since you assumed I’m trolling because of that. I was simply saying to link the article you were basing these claims off of:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/03/31/new-content-approaching-wolf-odonnell/

See how easy that is!? And I didn’t even have to write out an essay.

Anyways, the reason I looked up your citation was due to it contradicting your claim. There is a part of it which immediately confused me, so I needed to check if I was missing something. The section which confused me was this part:

“Although that anecdote isn’t true”

The definition of Anecdote:
A short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Because of that section, I couldn’t help but wonder what they were claiming wasn’t true. For those interested, here is the full paragraph:

Star Fox 64 served as the aesthetic basis for the brand’s representation in Super Smash Bros. and Melee. Wolf briefly cameoed in the latter’s opening cinematic, partaking in a dogfight against Fox. According to folklore, however, when Masahiro Sakurai decided to include clone characters, Wolf was initially selected to be Fox’s. Sakurai decided against it when he figured Wolf would be too indistinguishable from Fox, opting instead for the more visually distinct Falco. Although that anecdote isn’t true, Wolf did receive some attention from fans back in 1999 when Sakurai asked which characters his audience would like to see in a second Smash.

So your source is literally saying the idea of Wolf not getting in Melee due to being similarly shaped to Fox is NOT true. It’s just a made up assumption. None of that was ever stated by Sakurai or anyone on his development team.

So I’m not sure why you’re getting so worked up over something that was simply speculated.

But hey, maybe I misread something. Maybe you have a better source to prove your claim. If you do, feel free to LINK it and let us know bruh.
Wow, so some of the most widely circulated information about Melee cuts was just made up wholesale by a single person? I'm sure I have come across that revelation before, but the original claims are wired so deep in my brain that it still feels pretty nuts.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Often, from what I’ve learned from Smash speculation, if someone is hinting at something referring to a character that people want in Smash the hint is often not for Smash. The reason being that they’re really not allowed to disclose any type of hints towards Smash due to how tight those NDAs are apparently. Just going from past precedent I think it’s either ports of the games or a Switch exclusive Kingdom Hearts. They’ve been doing Nintendo handheld exclusive KH games for decades now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

He's previously stated that they won't be having any more KH games on the Switch after MoM. So him returning to speak to that magazine would have to be for something else (unless he's actually teasing an interview over the rhythm game spinoff - apparently in Japan they have a tendency to overhype stuff so I wouldn't rule it out).

Only things I can think of that would have Nomura speaking to that magazine are Smash or something related to The World Ends With You. The latter seems more realistic, I'll admit.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Apologies if this was discussed before. I just can't look back through 1100 pages =P

The most suggested Golden Sun stage idea I've seen is Venus Lighthouse. Isn't that the final dungeon of the first game? I think it is and that makes he hesitant to believe they'll use it if Isaac gets in.

I'm thinking they'll use the Sol Sanctum instead.
At the same time, we just got a fighter whose up-B is something you would obtain after defeating the final boss.

Top Bottom