• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Not strictly on topic, but if anyone here is looking for a new RPG to play, I'd like to recommend the new indie game Ikenfell that just came out on Switch and other consoles. Follows a group of students at a magic school with retro graphics, grid-based combat, and a soundtrack from the composers behind Steven Universe. Reviews seem solid, and the $20 price tag (currently $18) is plenty budget-friendly.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Brilliant write-up, IVA! I really liked the little touches in Isaac's moveset, like the sand roll and the Cloak Ball dodge. The Djinn system is really clever as well. I made sure to retweet the most important parts, hopefully this spreads like we want it to!
Thank you so much :) The djinn element of the moveset was the toughest to come up with so I'm glad you like my idea for them

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is complete and utter speculation on my part, but I feel like there's a reasonable possibility FP8 is an assist trophy promotion....if Steve and FP8 were going to be revealed at E3......though I'd imagine it would be more likely to be Waluigi than Isaac.
I don't know dude. Palutena was revealed at E3 in 2014 while Pac-Man was revealed behind closed doors. If a character like Palutena can be the E3 headliner instead of a icon like Pac-Man than I think Isaac could be the E3 finale instead of Waluigi.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
This is complete and utter speculation on my part, but I feel like there's a reasonable possibility FP8 is an assist trophy promotion....if Steve and FP8 were going to be revealed at E3......though I'd imagine it would be more likely to be Waluigi than Isaac.
I heavily disagree with Waluigi having a chance at being one of the dlc! Truly think about it...

A challenger pack is not just a character! It’s a stage, new music and a spirit board. How does Waluigi fit any of that??? There is no game heavily featuring him that is not already in Smash.
So what stage would get added? A tennis court...
What music does he bring...
What spirits get added...

And understand I’m not against Waluigi getting in but we have to be realistic about our speculation. Waluigi works as a bonus dlc character like Piranha Plant was because they don’t add anything truly new to Smash, they are just a fun addiction.

So no, I don’t believe Waluigi has a legit chance to be one of the remaining 4 dlc.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I don't know dude. Palutena was revealed at E3 in 2014 while Pac-Man was revealed behind closed doors. If a character like Palutena can be the E3 headliner instead of a icon like Pac-Man than I think Isaac could be the E3 finale instead of Waluigi.
I'd argue that the Mii Fighters were 2014's E3 highlight, but it is true that E3 doesn't always mean the most hype reveal.

E3 2013: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man (+ Smash For)
E3 2014: Mii Fighters, Palutena, Pac-Man (behind closed doors)
E3 2015: N/A (But we did get Roy and Ryu revealed in a Smash event before it)
E3 2016: N/A
E3 2017: N/A
E3 2018: Daisy, Ridley
E3 2019: Hero, Banjo
E3 2020: Steve, possibly Min Min, possibly FP8

For Ultimate I think they recognized the hype of E3 and started loading hype characters for it, as opposed to Smash For where they revealed the characters when they revealed them (though the third parties were at E3). As for Isaac vs. Waluigi, the deciding point wouldn't be when the character was revealed, they'd have decided the characters beforehand then made a plan for development. If Nintendo decided they were planning on revealing a new GS at E3 2020, then they would've said to Sakurai "make Isaac FP7 or 8 so we can have a dual-reveal" and he would've said "ok" because that's how it goes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I heavily disagree with Waluigi having a chance at being one of the dlc! Truly think about it...

A challenger pack is not just a character! It’s a stage, new music and a spirit board. How does Waluigi fit any of that??? There is no game heavily featuring him that is not already in Smash.
So what stage would get added? A tennis court...
What music does he bring...
What spirits get added...

And understand I’m not against Waluigi getting in but we have to be realistic about our speculation. Waluigi works as a bonus dlc character like Piranha Plant was because they don’t add anything truly new to Smash, they are just a fun addiction.

So no, I don’t believe Waluigi has a legit chance to be one of the remaining 4 dlc.
While I'm against closing any doors completely until given a hard answer, I do agree that Waluigi would falter with the extra content. He's more or less just himself, for better or for worse. Heck, his most recognizable theme is already in Smash. If Waluigi would have a theme with him, it wouldn't be as tightly knit as the previous packs.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
While I'm against closing any doors completely until given a hard answer, I do agree that Waluigi would falter with the extra content. He's more or less just himself, for better or for worse. Heck, his most recognizable theme is already in Smash. If Waluigi would have a theme with him, it wouldn't be as tightly knit as the previous packs.
I try my best to not disregard any video game character as a possibility, but we are 7 challenger packs deep. We all know exactly what the new dlc characters will bring, so if a speculated character doesn’t offer everything the first 7 did...then I feel we can’t treat them as likely options until an exception to the established rule is revealed.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I try my best to not disregard any video game character as a possibility, but we are 7 challenger packs deep. We all know exactly what the new dlc characters will bring, so if a speculated character doesn’t offer everything the first 7 did...then I feel we can’t treat them as likely options until an exception to the established rule is revealed.
Nothing really makes Waluigi the most obvious assist upgrade aside from just assuming that Sakurai will automatically upgrade the assist that has the most popularity and outcry behind it. Which is not really how Sakurai operates most of the time otherwise the Brawl to 4 assist upgrade would have went to Waluigi or Lyn, who were both way more popular and demanded than Little Mac.

So far most of the DLC for Ultimate have been characters representing entirely new franchises, the only existing series newcomer we have is Fire Emblem. If I were to expect another existing series rep it'd likely go to Pokemon or Xenoblade as most of the DLC have also brought unique movesets unlike other characters in Smash while Waluigi will feel underwhelming in comparison to the characters we've gotten in the pass so far.

With that said, since the 2nd pass did randomly show an extra slot getting added after the 5th spot, instead of showing all 6 spots from the start. I could see Waluigi getting revealed towards the end of the pass as a bonus along with another character. Can't imagine Sakurai sitting in a direct solely talking about Waluigi so I feel a double reveal if that's the case lol.

Either way if an assist is to get upgraded in DLC, I would think of it going to new series represention like Arms, even more so now after the 1st fighter pass, most people don't even find 1st Party characters hype anymore and want to see more 3rd Parties getting added.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
as most of the DLC have also brought unique movesets unlike other characters in Smash while Waluigi will feel underwhelming in comparison to the characters we've gotten in the pass so far.
Yes, but I don't really see any of the gen 8 Pokemon that actually have enough promotion from Game Freak to be on the table as being unique enough in the same way as Min Min's ARMS mechanics or Steve's multiple neutral specials and having to reprogram every stage. Unless they're revealed at the end, since it'd be ridiculous to think they'd be able to dedicate enough resources to have another super-ridiculously-unique fighter and Waluigi be developed by the same division at the same time.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yes, but I don't really see any of the gen 8 Pokemon that actually have enough promotion from Game Freak to be on the table as being unique enough in the same way as Min Min's ARMS mechanics or Steve's multiple neutral specials and having to reprogram every stage. Unless they're revealed at the end, since it'd be ridiculous to think they'd be able to dedicate enough resources to have another super-ridiculously-unique fighter and Waluigi be developed by the same division at the same time.
Mainly Byleth's reveal made me dread the next existing series rep could be Pokemon as it'd go to another Nintendo darling. But I haven't been following this generation much so I'm out of the loop as to who they would choose. Sakurai mentioned that he chose Incinerator because he always wanted to do a wrestler type moveset or whatever. But if there's not anything too unique for this Gen that would catch Sakurai's eye, hopefully we do avoid Pokemon taking up a slot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
so I'm out of the loop as to who they would choose
So are the people who think they'd go for Rillaboom.
But if there's not anything too unique for this Gen that would catch Sakurai's eye, hopefully we do avoid Pokemon taking up a slot.
The only Pokemon I see from the entire franchise that has enough promotion from Game Freak and would match Min Min and Steve's level of uniqueness is Eevee.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So are the people who think they'd go for Rillaboom.
I feel kinda bad for anyone seriously pushing for Rillaboom, or even other grass starters like Decidueye or Grovyle/Sceptile. Putting aside my own doubts that a Pokemon will be in FP2 at all, it seems like Sakurai is utterly unconcerned with "completing" another starter trio, as evidenced by adding Incineroar in base Ultimate as well as the return of Pokemon Trainer and the swapping mechanic (RIP solo Charizard, never forget). There's a reasonable argument that they should add a solo grass starter, but aside from the natural desire to finish a pattern, I see no reason to believe we'd actually get that, at least not until a potential FP3.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, here's my video summing up everything regarding Golden Sun, the trademark, Camelot, etc. Hopefully, I did the information justice.

I think your summation was good. While I'm still doubtful we'll get Golden Sun on Switch - largely due to persistent pessimism and a desire to avoid getting my hopes up - I don't think it can be denied that Nintendo at least PLANS to bring Golden Sun back somehow, so fingers crossed we get an announcement soon-ish.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I think Cinderace is the most pushed, Ash's companion has it and it's intentionally powerful (it has a clone of Greninja's amazing hidden ability, has an extremely powerful signature move, and is considered overpowered in single battles, both in Smogon and Battle Spot).

Would it be unique? It's based on a soccer player, so I imagine there's room to work with, altough we already have a lot of characters who use fire.

Would I like it? No, I hate its design and the game it comes from.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I still don’t know what to say about this pic. Haha!

Great video Billybae10K Billybae10K ! I really hope it gets the traction it needs to get people aware of the situation. The Golden Sun WILL rise again soon! And as for Isaac in Smash, I still stand by that Nintendo adding him in via DLC would be a very smart move business wise as it would also help promote the new GS game. Smash is not foreign to that concept. And with the backlash they got when AT Isaac appeared, Nintendo KNOWS now how highly demanded Isaac is.

I hate Cinderace too. If we HAVE to get a pokemon I would actually prefer Serperior. Or If it has to be from gen 8 lets go with Toxtricity.
The only Pokémon I would be completely okay with getting would be Gardevoir. But that’s just me. :p

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The only Pokémon I would be completely okay with getting would be Gardevoir. But that’s just me. :p
I used to really want Blaziken and Gardevoir in Smash. Thankfully, Pokken Tournament became a thing, and while I can't pretend to be any good at it, I sure did play a whole bunch of Blaziken, so I'm good now. 🤣

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, here's my video summing up everything regarding Golden Sun, the trademark, Camelot, etc. Hopefully, I did the information justice.

Excellent summary and video as always. Here is hoping we will get this revealed sooner rather than later next year. Though some people think E3, I think Nintendo doesn't see GS as something "big" enough to keep it from being announced at any other time. So hopefully, January 2021?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Excellent summary and video as always. Here is hoping we will get this revealed sooner rather than later next year. Though some people think E3, I think Nintendo doesn't see GS as something "big" enough to keep it from being announced at any other time. So hopefully, January 2021?
They've announced much smaller games at E3 before but personally I think the announcement is coming early next year especially if the game really was supposed to come November this year before you know what

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden Sun coming to Switch, as a certainty... I still am kind of uncomfortable stating it with confidence. It seems a bit too good to be true. Yeah I've seen all the copyright videos and claims, and it does hold water. However, we also haven't seen stuff for Wrecking Crew and Mario Sluggers right ? They could've planned a new game, but who says it ever got further than initial planning? I don't wanna sound skeptical, but I can't help but thinking this

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Golden Sun coming to Switch, as a certainty... I still am kind of uncomfortable stating it with confidence. It seems a bit too good to be true. Yeah I've seen all the copyright videos and claims, and it does hold water. However, we also haven't seen stuff for Wrecking Crew and Mario Sluggers right ? They could've planned a new game, but who says it ever got further than initial planning? I don't wanna sound skeptical, but I can't help but thinking this
Wrecking Crew had a new Arcade Archives title that came out in May, so that could have been what the trademark was for.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but imagine we get through FP8 and FP9 and it turns out Geno and Isaac are the last two newcomers revealed for Ultimate. That would be grand and would feel like a end of a era with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, and Isaac finally all being in the game. I would love this happy ending for the fans.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
They've announced much smaller games at E3 before but personally I think the announcement is coming early next year especially if the game really was supposed to come November this year before you know what
If Age of Calamity was always meant to be their holiday game this year (which I think it was), then this should be better for us sales wise.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I know this is a Isaac thread so it’s gonna be biased, but you guys brought up Waluigi in a negative light, so I feel the need to say something.

Waluigi can work as a dlc pack. He would come with a Mario sport stage (which we actually don’t have), various music from the mario sport games, including Waluigi pinball from Mario sports mix. And many spirits involving characters from sports games, examples being the characters in their sport outfits (we have a Mario tennis aces outfit spirit after all).

Plus, we still don’t know what that Mario sports trademark is for...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I have nothing against Waluigi, nothing says he is the most likely Assist Trophy to get promoted. Look at Min Min, she wasn't one of the most wanted characters in the Smash community yet she was the first Spirit to get promoted into a playable character. Yes, she was the most popular Arms character, but the community wasn't dying to get a Arms rep in the game like a whole lot of characters. Isaac could very well be our first Assist Trophy promotion.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hear me out - Why not both? I think the Camelot Bros both have a valid shot, and valid reasons, for being upgraded to a playable status.

Let's factor in a few aspects of DLC that we know to be the case:

Characters must come with a stage, a DLC Spirit Board and a selection of music.
Characters must bring something unique to their playstyle that differentiates themselves from the base roster.

The only exception to this is Plant.

If you look at every DLC fighter except Plant, all of them adhere to that second requirement. Joker has Arsene, Hero has the Command Menu, Banjo has the Wonderwing, Terry has Go Sauce, Byleth has weapons tied to different directions in a way we hadn't seen before, Min Min has her insane reach & unique specials & Steve has the Mine/Craft/Block Place mechanic.

Now, for Isaac, he could easily have a unique "mechanic" that revolves around Djinn, summons or just general psynergy attacks. In Waluigi's case, I'm not certain as to what unique "mechanic" he would bring to the table, there's nothing that really "stands" out in that aspect.

I'd be more inclined to believe Waluigi was a "bonus fighter" similar to Plant, if he does get in. No hate to Waluigi, far from it - I just don't really like the idea of paying for a DLC where the only spirits we get revolve around Mario Sports. Feels like a step down from pretty much every other DLC spirit board, in that sense.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If they Added Waluigi, I Imagine they would play into the Memey Factor of Him, So I could see his Spirit Board being a Bunch of Waluigi's and junk like that. That or he could jack Geno's Hypothetical Spirit board or something like that, Considering Min-Min jacked Spring Man's Stage

Since We're talking about Assists, you guys did talk about Bomberman, and how his AT model was used for the Costume. I consider that in favor of AT, with the most important thing that Assist Models could be used for Playable Character. that's in favor of Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, Shovel Knight, etc

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
While I have nothing against Waluigi, nothing says he is the most likely Assist Trophy to get promoted. Look at Min Min, she wasn't one of the most wanted characters in the Smash community yet she was the first Spirit to get promoted into a playable character. Yes, she was the most popular Arms character, but the community wasn't dying to get a Arms rep in the game like a whole lot of characters. Isaac could very well be our first Assist Trophy promotion.
Nothing says Isaac is the most likely either.

Top Bottom