• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
So serious questions for you all:

Would you be upset if they didn't include Isaac, but any other golden sun character as a DLC fighter (Either Felix or anyone else, maybe even a protagonist from a new game that the DLC would be promoting)? This is assuming they embodied the spirit of golden sun and fought using psynergy and djinn.

What if the character used almost no psynergy and djinn and just fought with a generic weapon of some kind?

I'm just trying to gage if people really want the character Isaac, or if people just want a fighter representing golden sun's mechanics in smash (Djinn and Psynergy based).
No, I wouldn't be upset. Isaac isn't even my favorite venus adept, Felix is. I've always pushed for Isaac instead because he is the face of the franchise and the most recognizable character outside of the fandom, but if they decided to go for another rep, I'd feel it a win still. Regarding the moveset, I really hope psynergy is taken into account, I'd be taken aback and slightly offended if Sakurai and team went for a generic weapon moveset since they have already gone the extra mile so many times for the other characters, it'd make me feel they don't care about GS.

I'd still be grateful they are in, but I see no reason why they would go that route.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
SAME. One thing that gets me about Smash speculation is when a new character is announced and a very vocal number of fans start going off about how "all the remaining characters will be added for the same reason". When it was Byleth, we were going to be getting all promotional characters. Min Min, it was going to be an all first party pass. Now, it's all best selling third parties.
I feel like a lot of those people may want a third party character (and maybe most of their top picks are third party characters)

So it's convenient for them to look solely at Steve/Alex and just forget every other DLC character we've gotten. (I mean the same can apply to people who mainly want first party characters too)

Either that or people just have a hard time remembering past the most recent dlc character.

Would you be upset if they didn't include Isaac, but any other golden sun character as a DLC fighter (Either Felix or anyone else, maybe even a protagonist from a new game that the DLC would be promoting)? This is assuming they embodied the spirit of golden sun and fought using psynergy and djinn.

What if the character used almost no psynergy and djinn and just fought with a generic weapon of some kind?

I'm just trying to gage if people really want the character Isaac, or if people just want a fighter representing golden sun's mechanics in smash (Djinn and Psynergy based).

I'd be upset. Since Isaac is the character I've been hoping for for so long now.

Actually, I have a confession to make...I never bought the second Golden Sun game. I played it through "other" means.

So Isaac was the protagonist of the first Golden Sun game I owned and for a long time (until 2010) he was the only protagonist of a game I had actually owned. I didn't really attach to Felix in the same way as I did for Isaac. I've played and owned Dark Dawn but I don't really care that much for Matthew. (it doesn't help that he's basically just "Isaac but not Isaac")

I'm not sure why I never bought the second Golden Sun. Maybe at the time it was releasing I just wasn't aware that it existed?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well, yeah, a bit. I've been supporting Isaac for a decade now, I've played all the GS games, so I know him. If we got a character that I didn't know about, that would kinda suck all the excitement out of it. If it were Felix I'd be okay because he's great but I'd still be more confused than excited.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I would. The whole reason I want Isaac in the first place is because of his vast moveset potential.

Last edited:

Nawgust

Smash Rookie

I don't think I'd be upset, just... confused? When Brawl was announced (I'm old, leave me alone), I jumped on board with the flagship GS character, Isaac. I think that pre-Ballot, seeing a different character on the roster would have be aight but now that an (assumedly) impressive amount of requests for Isaac came in from around the world, I wouldn't understand the decision. Unless, of course, the Takahashi brothers say "everyone is the protagonist" and we end up with Eoleo. Whether they're looking to promote the franchise or fulfill fan demand, Isaac just seems like the answer.

I digress. I wouldn't be happy with a character who hardly uses psynergy or Djinn, as it wouldn't represent what makes the series unique.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman

I would be a bit disappointed if its not Isaac. He's the face of the series and it would be like we've put all that effort into campaigining for him only to get someone different. It doesn't come across as doing it for the fans, but doing something out of convenience. Saying that, Felix would be great, I just hope he comes with Isaac.

As for having no psynergy...eh, what would be the point? We've already got Mii Swordfighter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

First of all, I would wonder why they didn't make Isaac alongside Felix/Matthew, as they would be 100% compatible as alts of each other. Second, a Golden Sun fighter should prove that they're not just a generic anime swordsman, and Psynergy and Djinn are the best ways to do that.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice

Pretty sure anyone on this board would be fine with any Golden Sun character in general. Isaac is just the one we decided to focus our attention on given he's more or less the main protagonist of it all. If they went with Felix, Matthew, someone from a hypothetical Golden Sun 4, or what have you, I don't think there'd be many, if any, complaints.

Psynergy would be necessary though. Or at least some method of making whichever character unique. If they went with a character like Dark Dawn's Sveta who has alternate methods that could be used to be a moveset, then perhaps.

Edit: Okay, looking at the comments, apparently a lot of people would be disappointed. Color me a little surprised there.

Just speaking for myself, I really don't mind whichever Golden Sun character becomes playable, if any at all. I like Isaac a lot of course, but my love for Golden Sun is not specifically tied to him. He's just the easiest name to gravitate around. If they really announced something like "We will not promote Isaac to a playable character, but we will be including the protagonist of the upcoming Golden Sun 4" or some kind of hypothetical situation like that, I could consider that an absolute win.

My biggest desire is for Golden Sun to get the recognition it deserves. Whether it's through Isaac or other methods is fine by me.

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet

Personally, I wouldn't really care if Isaac was passed over for another Golden Sun character, since my primary concern is getting Golden Sun the recognition it deserves. That said... why, exactly, would Isaac be passed over when he's basically the face of the series and is one of only three characters to appear in all three titles so far? That's not to say Felix or Matthew or any other Adept from the series couldn't work, but if you're putting in a Golden Sun character, there needs to be a damn good reason for skipping past the one fans have been requesting for over a decade. And after Steve and the rework of the stages to make his gimmick work, saying "Isaac's already an AT" does not cut it. If Sakurai and his team could do all that for Steve, a small tweak to one AT should be no big deal.

And yes, I would be very upset if there was no Psynergy or Djinn. There is no logical reason to put in a Golden Sun character and then strip away what differentiates them from the other characters. If all I wanted was another swordsman, all I'd have to do is wait for the next Fire Emblem character.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I wouldn't really care if Isaac was passed over for another Golden Sun character, since my primary concern is getting Golden Sun the recognition it deserves. That said... why, exactly, would Isaac be passed over when he's basically the face of the series and is one of only three characters to appear in all three titles so far? That's not to say Felix or Matthew or any other Adept from the series couldn't work, but if you're putting in a Golden Sun character, there needs to be a damn good reason for skipping past the one fans have been requesting for over a decade. And after Steve and the rework of the stages to make his gimmick work, saying "Isaac's already an AT" does not cut it. If Sakurai and his team could do all that for Steve, a small tweak to one AT should be no big deal.

And yes, I would be very upset if there was no Psynergy or Djinn. There is no logical reason to put in a Golden Sun character and then strip away what differentiates them from the other characters. If all I wanted was another swordsman, all I'd have to do is wait for the next Fire Emblem character.
Guess it kind of depends.

I mean, their justification for Min Min over Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl was that the guy in charge of the game said "all characters are protagonists" and that was good enough for Sakurai. So, it's not too out of the question they could apply that logic to any other situation.

Honestly, the idea of Sakurai talking with the Takahashi brothers and them saying "all our characters are good" isn't something that would surprise me if it happened.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Guess it kind of depends.

I mean, their justification for Min Min over Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl was that the guy in charge of the game said "all characters are protagonists" and that was good enough for Sakurai. So, it's not too out of the question they could apply that logic to any other situation.

Honestly, the idea of Sakurai talking with the Takahashi brothers and them saying "all our characters are good" isn't something that would surprise me if it happened.
To be fair, Golden Sun has an actual story mode to follow, and only Isaac, Felix, and Jenna have actual battle themes. ARMS is more or less "Choose strech punch person and fight," with the "story mode" barely having a story to speak of. Besides, Isaac most likely has a good deal more requests than any of the ARMS characters.

amageish

Smash Master
I guess I'd accept a character that does everything Isaac does over Isaac doing nothing Isaac does, but that'd be two very odd timelines with odd development decisions made. Even if we are getting a GS4 with Isaac's granddaughter as the protagonist or something, then I'd expect Isaac to be an alt like how Eleven didn't stop them from including Three... It'd be odd to just exclude the popular one everyone likes...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
They've made every Golden Sun protagonist a Venus adept and they're always the character that's represented in the overworld. The protagonist thing that worked for Arms isn't going to carry over to Golden Sun considering its way more story centric

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The reason they chose Min Min was popularity. All characters might be protagonists (debatable), but it's not like they were going to choose Master Mummy.

There's no real reason to expect what happened with ARMS to happen anywhere else. Especially with GS, whereby Isaac is the face, most popular character, and protagonist (though one of three).

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
The reason they chose Min Min was popularity. All characters might be protagonists (debatable), but it's not like they were going to choose Master Mummy.

There's no real reason to expect what happened with ARMS to happen anywhere else. Especially with GS, whereby Isaac is the face, most popular character, and protagonist (though one of three).
No, it was the ARMS director who picked her. Popularity was a coincidence.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm just looking at the bright side here....

but I think Bomberman getting a mii costume is a very (very) slight positive for Isaac. (and other assist trophies) It shows that they're willing to look back upon and add new content for characters that are already assist trophies.

It doesn't have anywhere near the same impact that actually getting an assist trophy promoted would have had....but I'll take it.

I've got to get my breadcrumbs of hope from somewhere. :p

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, it was the ARMS director who picked her. Popularity was a coincidence.
Why do you think they picked her.

And why do you think Ninjara, the second most popular character, was the second choice?

If Yabuki's favourite character was the least popular character, that's not the character we would've received. Yabuki's favourite being the crowd favourite was serendipitous, but ultimately incidental. You can't believe everything you hear from developers.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just looking at the bright side here....

but I think Bomberman getting a mii costume is a very (very) slight positive for Isaac. (and other assist trophies) It shows that they're willing to look back upon and add new content for characters that are already assist trophies.

It doesn't have anywhere near the same impact that actually getting an assist trophy promoted would have had....but I'll take it.

I've got to get my breadcrumbs of hope from somewhere. :p
Oh I forgot that Bomberman was an assist trophy as well. That's very interesting! Kind of a promotion in a sense. Though after seeing the massive undertaking of Sakurai reworking 100 stages for Steve to function. The idea of Isaac being held back from playability solely because of his assist trophy seems like a small problem in comparison. Though glad that Isaac has already been given a Mii Costume, something less to worry about.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
It's worth noting that in the base-game, we had 0 third party mii costumes, so Bomberman getting an upgrade shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Effectively, it's just catching some of the third party AT's up to where first party AT's already are at.

Either way, I don't think it's something that will help or hurt our chances.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
As Steve got in, I can't even imagine who the next dlc would be.
It could literally be Isaac and Hornet double reveal. I love these moments. They make me pumped.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be honest....while I do believe it's still possible for more than one assist trophy to get promoted.....I feel like we'd have to get an assist trophy promotion pretty soon.

I doubt we'd get two assist trophy promotions right at the end one after the other. So either FP8 or FP9 is an assist trophy promotion or I'm going to start thinking Isaac is in a far more direct competition with Waluigi for promotion.

This is complete and utter speculation on my part, but I feel like there's a reasonable possibility FP8 is an assist trophy promotion....if Steve and FP8 were going to be revealed at E3......though I'd imagine it would be more likely to be Waluigi than Isaac.

And Travis being a Mii costume removes once more a contender to Isaac.
I mean if we're here believing that assist trophy promotions are possible, then Bomberman is a pretty significant contender to have out of the running as well. I didn't see him quite at the top of the list, but he was still in the mix.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It's worth noting that in the base-game, we had 0 third party mii costumes, so Bomberman getting an upgrade shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Effectively, it's just catching some of the third party AT's up to where first party AT's already are at.

Either way, I don't think it's something that will help or hurt our chances.
I think of it also as some of the competition being knocked down, especially when it comes to the DLC so far being 3rd Parties and what most of the community expects. I've seen Travis' name pop up as a possibility and now that he's a Mii Costume, it seems less likely that he's also currently on the pass. This means that some of the other popular 3rd party requests could end up being Mii costumes as well.

It's almost like the situation of first parties being made as assists for that represention in base game. Well now I fear for Lloyd bros a bit since he's already been a Mii Costume and sometimes you get the same role in a row in Smash.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
With me the assist trophy isn't going to be a factor in the promotion but solely for the character on their own merits. Isaac already is a highly requested character that could bring a lot to a table with a potential new game on the way. He isn't guaranteed but he has a pretty fair shot all things considered

amageish

Smash Master
To be honest....while I do believe it's still possible for more than one assist trophy to get promoted.....I feel like we'd have to get an assist trophy promotion pretty soon.

I doubt we'd get two assist trophy promotions right at the end one after the other. So either FP8 or FP9 is an assist trophy promotion or I'm going to start thinking Isaac is in a far more direct competition with Waluigi for promotion.

This is complete and utter speculation on my part, but I feel like there's a reasonable possibility FP8 is an assist trophy promotion....if Steve and FP8 were going to be revealed at E3......though I'd imagine it would be more likely to be Waluigi than Isaac.
TBH I don't really see why they'd care about the number of Assist Trophy promotions or the timing of them... They probably would just see AT upgrades as characters they already have models to build off of; nothing too special beyond that...

I think it'd be more likely Isaac's timing is adjusted to be best for a hypothetical GSHD then it is to space out any AT upgrades.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
TBH I don't really see why they'd care about the number of Assist Trophy promotions or the timing of them... They probably would just see AT upgrades as characters they already have models to build off of; nothing too special beyond that...

I think it'd be more likely Isaac's timing is adjusted to be best for a hypothetical GSHD then it is to space out any AT upgrades.
Honestly I can kind of see a small pattern for Fighters Pass 2 now. It's not rock solid, but it seems they're working on older ideas before going to new projects.

Min-Min likely came out of the idea of wanting an ARMS fighter for the base roster, they said so in an interview somewhere.
Steve probably was a discussed character with Microsoft whenever they talked about Banjo earlier. It's likely they picked Banjo first, because of the more obvious ties to Nintendo.

So I think Isaac might be a likely contender for the next Fighter reveal. Because an Assist Trophy upgrade is likely one of the first few things they'd discuss in terms of new characters. I see brand new ideas as Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown, Impa and Ryu Hayabusa as later additions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see people saying Bomberman's costume is indicative of ATs unilaterally being out.

I don't agree with that. If anything, this is the first instance of an AT being reevaluated and given a new role. This wasn't a playable role, but wasn't the logic beforehand that the role of AT was fixed and not eligible for reevaluation?

I don't see this as a massive point in Isaac's favour. I don't even see him as the likeliest upgrade. But I certainly don't see this as the detriment most people seem to.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I see people saying Bomberman's costume is indicative of ATs unilaterally being out.

I don't agree with that. If anything, this is the first instance of an AT being reevaluated and given a new role. This wasn't a playable role, but wasn't the logic beforehand that the role of AT was fixed and not eligible for reevaluation?

I don't see this as a massive point in Isaac's favour. I don't even see him as the likeliest upgrade. But I certainly don't see this as the detriment most people seem to.
Yeah I agree it's definitely not a point against anything, if anything it's just a positive thing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Sakurai even pointed out that he may be an assist trophy, but you can use this costume to feel like you're playing as him.

Really my complaint is that it's gonna be confusing if a white-colored Bomberman Mii gets a Bomberman AT.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Seems pretty reaching. If anything, the fact that Sakurai refused to say that base-game ATs aren’t eligible for an upgrade even though he had plenty of chances to do so (and Spring Man was even listed as one of the 15 viable candidates in that ARMS teaser) suggests the opposite, that ATs are still viable.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Seems pretty reaching. If anything, the fact that Sakurai refused to say that base-game ATs aren’t eligible for an upgrade even though he had plenty of chances to do so (and Spring Man was even listed as one of the 15 viable candidates in that ARMS teaser) suggests the opposite, that ATs are still viable.
Naysayers deny anything's chances no matter what until they are officially proven wrong, even tho these things are already official enough to prove them wrong, they are still quite the stubborn bunch , lol

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I don’t pay any attention to the people trying to make “rules” for how Sakurai does things. Remember “music theory” then “color theory” and of course “spirits can’t be fighters” as well? People will try to make up anything just to feel like their most wanted character has a better chance than others.

For me, as long as there are spots left and the rumored new Golden Sun game isn’t announced...I’ll have hope for Isaac!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I've seen that and I don't understand it either.

The only way I could understand it is if the person thought Bomberman was far and away the most likely assist trophy promotion. So to see him get snubbed for a playable upgrade, that person would then think assist trophies wouldn't happen. Although even then it's just an opinion.

It's not like this has boosted the chance of an assist trophy promotion, but I don't see the connection between an assist trophy getting attention through dlc and assist trophies not being promoted.

One other thing I don't get is.....aren't a lot of these people already the same people who will confidently tell you that assist trophies won't get promoted? Why do they feel they even need more proof?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Bomberman man… can we just say AT fan rule is dead 100%? as if Min min didn't break the "no upgrades overall" fan rule already. Even if Bomberman wasn't an upgrade to a playable full on fighter, the point STILL stands, people thought it wasn't gonna be done because "hurr durr limitations i made up hurr durr" and whatever dumb ****, but here they are, playable forms of such ATs, it doesn't matter if they are miis, they are still playable forms of such characters, it literally kills the dumbass fan rule.

Like just because a mii has the moveset of a mii, and a fighter would have a unique moveset, it doesn't change what it already broke technically speaking, it makes no difference whether it's one or the other, they are playable forms of the character.

Point being: fan rule is dead, not meaning anyone is a lock, but ATs are possible to be upgraded and people's made up excuses to deny it are gone, period.
And when someone already has an AT and a mii… the only next thing for it is a fighter upgrade :p

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Huh? I guess I don't understand. Wouldn't that already have been thrown out when Isaac was both an AT and a Mii costume in Ultimate?

I don't see Assist Trophies and Mii costumes as contradicting each other at all, because... Mii costumes are just that, costumes. Whereas Assist Trophies are the actual character themselves showing up to assist.

Isaac's Mii costume is obviously not Isaac himself. Mii costumes are Miis in costumes that look like characters. Like cosplaying, essentially. The Assist Trophy, however, is Isaac himself. This is a distinction.

I don't see any problem with these two coexisting, but an Assist Trophy coexisting with a playable character is much more strange, for the reasons I listed above. This is why spirits, Mii costumes, etc. are not as solid (although I do think Mii costumes are effectively saying "this character will not be playable", TBH).

(Yes, there are strange cases of characters showing up in multiple rules that break this logic, it doesn't mean that it's a standard. It means that it's not completely and totally impossible for Isaac or any other ATs to be upgraded, but it most certainly doesn't make it likely)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
(Yes, there are strange cases of characters showing up in multiple rules that break this logic, it doesn't mean that it's a standard. It means that it's not completely and totally impossible for Isaac or any other ATs to be upgraded, but it most certainly doesn't make it likely)
I don't really think there is a "standard" when it comes to this.....I mean do you think Sakurai is going to look at Chrom showing up in Robin's final smash and think "oh well I better not upgrade an assist trophy, don't want to go down a slippery slope". I can't imagine that personally.

I think there are certainly reasons to doubt Isaacs chances but I don't think two identical/nearly identical Isaacs showing up on stage together is one of them.

Also this Bomberman Mii costume supposedly takes the model directly from the assist trophy. (or at the very least, it's practically indistinguishable from it) So I don't think a good argument could be made for a playable assist trophy and their assist trophy being on stage at the same being confusing as a reason to discredit the possibility of assist trophies being promoted. Not now anyway.

Even if the Bomberman assist trophy is disabled when a Mii Fighter is wearing the Bomberman outfit (which I don't think will happen) that would only further prove that the above argument is a non issue. (since they would clearly be able to stop the assist trophy interacting with it's almost identical mii costume)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
model directly from the assist trophy
I'm sure there's some updates to the model, increasing his polygon count so his curves can be more curvy and also giving him some extra lightmaps, but it'll still be hard to distinguish which Bomberman is the Mii and AT if the Mii's color is white.

Top Bottom