• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
An international release date for Persona 5 Scramble would be nice. Beyond that, not expecting much of anything unless they surprise us with a third party Smash character in a Partner Showcase.
I could see them giving us the P5S release date, but I don't think that showing a Smash character is possible.

This is for games that Nintendo doesn't work on. It would eclipse everything else that would be presented and worsen their relationships with the other companies.

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
I'm expecting a new Monster Hunter Switch, but not much else.
I'm curious as to what leads you to expect Monster Hunter. Not that I'm saying it's impossible, but it does seem unlikely to me, since the Switch already has Generations, and I wouldn't expect World to be ported to the Switch unless the rumored upgraded Switch model is real - and even then I wouldn't expect an announcement of World until said upgraded model itself is announced, which obviously won't happen in this.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm curious as to what leads you to expect Monster Hunter. Not that I'm saying it's impossible, but it does seem unlikely to me, since the Switch already has Generations, and I wouldn't expect World to be ported to the Switch unless the rumored upgraded Switch model is real - and even then I wouldn't expect an announcement of World until said upgraded model itself is announced, which obviously won't happen in this.
Capcom has mentioned that they're making a new MH game for a high school demographic, which is generally agreed to be a Switch game. Shinobi has said this will be shown before TGS and we're kind of running low on pre-TGS time at this point...

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Has Nintendo ever announced a partner showcase the day before? If I’m remembering correctly, the last one was shadow dropped right? Did they announce the one in July a day before?

I’m just trying to see if there is any reason for me to care as the last two didn’t have anything I really cared about. Plus Tokyo Game Show is coming up so I’m skeptical if anything big will be announced before then.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Generation was just a port. The producers said a while ago they were working on a game that middle/high schoolers could enjoy more. In japan commuting in subway, train etc is extremely common. So a portable Monster Hunter that you can play with friends during breaks or coming back from school/work would be a switch game. it's a very big part of MH's identity. (just look at all the mangas and anime referencing MH by having the character splay it on PSP in their clubroom and stuff)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Generation was just a port. The producers said a while ago they were working on a game that middle/high schoolers could enjoy more. In japan commuting in subway, train etc is extremely common. So a portable Monster Hunter that you can play with friends during breaks or coming back from school/work would be a switch game. it's a very big part of MH's identity. (just look at all the mangas and anime referencing MH by having the character splay it on PSP in their clubroom and stuff)
Yeah, Monster Hunter originally took off because of the PSP and continued to find success on the 3DS. I'd imagine that a big, brand-new Monster Hunter on a handheld console (Or a hybrid console, at the very least) would be pretty big deal.

amageish

Smash Master
Has Nintendo ever announced a partner showcase the day before? If I’m remembering correctly, the last one was shadow dropped right? Did they announce the one in July a day before?
They've had three different announcement strategies for the three different showcases.

First one was announced under 12 hours in advance and wasn't actually streamed - they just announced the time the full video would be dropped on the channel, but you could fast-forward/skim it the moment it was up.

Second one was just shadowdropped. No announcement of any kind and you could fast-forward/skim once it was up.

Third one is this one, being announced over 24 hours in advance and being actually livestreamed.

I'd assume something in the Direct is big enough to merit Nintendo break out of their current holding pattern of weekly shadowdropped news; however, that thing is likely the Monster Hunter game being discussed here. So, if you don't care for Monster Hunter, I'd keep expectations low.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I'd assume something in the Direct is big enough to merit Nintendo break out of their current holding pattern of weekly shadowdropped news; however, that thing is likely the Monster Hunter game being discussed here. So, if you don't care for Monster Hunter, I'd keep expectations low.
Considering Isaac and the Monster Hunter are my two most wanted dlc characters, plus the 1000+ hours I put into MHW... I hope the rumored MH game for Switch gets announced!

amageish

Smash Master
Considering Isaac and the Monster Hunter are my two most wanted dlc characters, plus the 1000+ hours I put into MHW... I hope the rumored MH game for Switch gets announced!
Oh! Well, in that case, I would have an above-average amount of hype haha. Things are definitely lining up for it to be hunting season.

Actually, it'd be interesting if this was a lot of RPG-y things, like how the last one was so music-puzzle-themed in spite of not being officially labelled with any theme? As we have a MH game to reveal, BD2 to probably delay to 2021, a Rune Factory game that has been effectively MIA since a Direct reveal last June... Could be worth bundling them all together into a RPG-lover showcase?

Also, this brings us to 5 straight weeks of Nintendo news with a 6th already confirmed with Hyrule Warriors at TGS. So, uh, Nintendo has gone from very quiet to being much louder, just not in a way that helps address what Camelot is doing...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, they'll probably do that until "World 2" is ready.
I think I saw someone one the general thread say that Capcom split up their Monster Hunter divisions after the resounding success of World. Perhaps they intent to have two separate sub-series of Monster Hunter games, as to have a little something for everyone. World shook up the formula quite a bit, so maybe they want to preserve the older style of Monster Hunter on the Switch, plus a bit of streamlining from World so that it's not overly clunky, but still recognizable.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I think I saw someone one the general thread say that Capcom split up their Monster Hunter divisions after the resounding success of World. Perhaps they intent to have two separate sub-series of Monster Hunter games, as to have a little something for everyone. World shook up the formula quite a bit, so maybe they want to preserve the older style of Monster Hunter on the Switch, plus a bit of streamlining from World so that it's not overly clunky, but still recognizable.
What are those "two kinds" of Monster Hunter you're talking about? I never really played a MH game but I'm interesting to do so some day. If there are two different formulas, I'm interesting to know them in advance, in case I have a preference on paper.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What are those "two kinds" of Monster Hunter you're talking about? I never really played a MH game but I'm interesting to do so some day. If there are two different formulas, I'm interesting to know them in advance, in case I have a preference on paper.
I'm not exactly sure. I'll have to double check. Still, the thing is that World changed a lot, so I'm thinking that Capcom might either want to have an old-and-new dynamic or take Monster Hunter Switch in a different direction, seeing as they wanted to "appeal to the high school demographic."

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Capcom has mentioned that they're making a new MH game for a high school demographic, which is generally agreed to be a Switch game. Shinobi has said this will be shown before TGS and we're kind of running low on pre-TGS time at this point...
I see, I see. Very interesting. Makes sense, so hopefully this Partner Showcase will have Monster Hunter (or something of equal merit) in it.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I could see them giving us the P5S release date, but I don't think that showing a Smash character is possible.

This is for games that Nintendo doesn't work on. It would eclipse everything else that would be presented and worsen their relationships with the other companies.
I don't really expect anything Smash related (again, Partner Showcase), but the earlier announcement and live stream makes you wonder if there's more to it than experimentation on Nintendo's part. I think the Monster Hunter speculation would make a lot of sense, or perhaps a new Nintendo third party collaboration, or maybe it's simply a longer showcase with TGS just around the corner. Whatever the reason, I have to imagine it'll be better than last month's snooze fest (and I say that as a music game fan).

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Monster hunter definitely if Shinobi is right as usual. I'm just curious if Imran is seriously hyping it up just for MH or if there's actually more cool 3rd party stuff coming in that showcase. Would be a first this year to have more than one big game in a partner showcase, making it actually worth watching fully and not skipping it for just one title… The way this showcase is being announced in comparison to the past ones + the attention and over hyping from some insiders really makes me hope it's not just the monster hunter game… that said i don't really expect anything from these, they left a bad mark already this year so I'm not gonna get burnt expecting anything I would like, lol.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Monster hunter definitely if Shinobi is right as usual. I'm just curious if Imran is seriously hyping it up just for MH or if there's actually more cool 3rd party stuff coming in that showcase. Would be a first this year to have more than one big game in a partner showcase, making it actually worth watching fully and not skipping it for just one title… The way this showcase is being announced in comparison to the past ones + the attention and over hyping from some insiders really makes me hope it's not just the monster hunter game… that said i don't really expect anything from these, they left a bad mark already this year so I'm not gonna get burnt expecting anything I would like, lol.
Isn't MH huge in Japan? Specially back on the 3DS days? Maybe that's why the announcement is a day earlier.

And I like how both your Avatar and your title Champions.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not a Monster Hunter fan, so I am certainly hoping there's more to showcase than that as well (assuming this new MH does indeed show up tomorrow).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Oh! Well, in that case, I would have an above-average amount of hype haha. Things are definitely lining up for it to be hunting season.

Actually, it'd be interesting if this was a lot of RPG-y things, like how the last one was so music-puzzle-themed in spite of not being officially labelled with any theme? As we have a MH game to reveal, BD2 to probably delay to 2021, a Rune Factory game that has been effectively MIA since a Direct reveal last June... Could be worth bundling them all together into a RPG-lover showcase?

Also, this brings us to 5 straight weeks of Nintendo news with a 6th already confirmed with Hyrule Warriors at TGS. So, uh, Nintendo has gone from very quiet to being much louder, just not in a way that helps address what Camelot is doing...
You can add the western release of Yokai Watch 4 and Digimon Survive to the batch of rpg games that also went MIA.. I remember initially hyping myself up for these games only to realize how long it's been lol. The former has yet to announce a release date and the latter has got delayed from from it's initial 2019 release into 2020, and I'm sure it's getting dealyed again with the unforseen pandemic happening.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I'd say this was the best Partner Showcase Nintendo's had yet... not that it was a high bar or anything, but at least this time I was actually fairly satisfied.

Also, nice call with Monster Hunter you guys.
Only reason people knew about Monster Hunter was because of insiders. Shinobi leaked it first I think?

Anyways, the game I'm most interested in from that direct is actually Balan Wonderland.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
It was a very eh direct for me. Rune Factory 5 looks nice at least, given I enjoyed Rune Factory 4 a lot.

Monster Hunter is an iffy series for me because while I think it's a good series, I suck at it. It's style of combat is not for someone like me who's used to more forgiving action games. I playing MH4U and MHG on 3DS and struggled greatly with figuring out how monsters attacked.

Furthermore, it's a franchise that highly encourages online which I don't have since I'm not inclined to pay for Switch online.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It was a very eh direct for me. Rune Factory 5 looks nice at least, given I enjoyed Rune Factory 4 a lot.

Monster Hunter is an iffy series for me because while I think it's a good series, I suck at it. It's style of combat is not for someone like me who's used to more forgiving action games. I playing MH4U and MHG on 3DS and struggled greatly with figuring out how monsters attacked.

Furthermore, it's a franchise that highly encourages online which I don't have since I'm not inclined to pay for Switch online.
You pretty much described me with Monster Hunter lol. I have a friend who's crazy about Monster Hunter and likewise finally convinced me to give the series a go last year. I got 4u first which I definitely struggled with. My friend then told me I should have gone for Generation first so I got that one. It has these combat styles that you can tailor to how you play and kinda like super moves that charge up and can help with damage.

On top of that foraging for materials is way easier in Gen vs 4u. Gen offers more high tier material rewards in quest completion vs 4u just stone, iron etc. lol. So I was able to craft better weapons and armor faster and thus that also helped survivability. Anyways I don't care for online either so I do everything solo, not like I plan to do many high rank quests anyways, I consider myself more casual when it comes to this series so it doesn't really bother me.

There's also Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS for an even tamer experience although the concept is more Pokemon-ish. I probs should get to finishing that now with a 2nd one on the way lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This was 10 times better than those crappy past showcases lol, even the indie world was better than the other showcases. 9 or 8 out of 10 for me when compared to the other showcases even if i didn't care much from this one, couldn't care less about the shoot shoot pew pew games. Ori and Monster hunter were definitely great opener and ender of the presentation.

Also… there's your golf game :p

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I think the most positive thing about this Partner Showcase is how they are announcing Switch exclusives for next year. Plus Nintendo has been having announcements every week for the past 4 weeks. I think it’s safe to say we’ll be getting more reveals for next year’s games over the next few weeks.

We already know we’re getting more info on the new Hyrule Warriors next week on the 26th. The question is if the info is presented in a Hyrule Warriors direct or a bigger general/mini direct?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think the most positive thing about this Partner Showcase is how they are announcing Switch exclusives for next year. Plus Nintendo has been having announcements every week for the past 4 weeks. I think it’s safe to say we’ll be getting more reveals for next year’s games for the next few weeks.

We already know we’re getting more info on the new Hyrule Warriors next week on the 26th. The question is if the info is presented in a Hyrule Warriors direct or a bigger general/mini direct?

It's actually going to be a part of Koei's TGS showcase!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That’s interesting with it being part of Koei’s showcase. Could this mean Nintendo will have it’s own separate showcase announcing something new that week or for TGS?
I don't see Nintendo showing much else in the next little while that isn't just parts of already known titles like HW2, Smash or Pokemon. We've pretty much got their 2020 lineup now, and maybe their lineup until February, so I don't think they're in a rush to announce completely new titles atm.

Also, Nintendo themselves almost never participate in TGS. I'm not expecting this year to be different. In fact, we probably already would've heard if they were going to be present.

The only question now (other than when we'll hear more about Smash and Pokemon) is when they will get to those future 2021 reveals.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Between the two new MH and FF16 I'm pretty hyped for 2021
If that's what you're implying, you're quite optimistic to believe that FF16 will arrive in 2021. IMO, its trailer was kind of meh, not light hearted enough, but it's the FF14 team behind it so I'm still hoping it will be a great game. For 2023 at best.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The only question now (other than when we'll hear more about Smash and Pokemon) is when they will get to those future 2021 reveals.
Usually we always got them every September's final direct for like the past 4 years in a row, mixing up both current year + next year announcements, to end the year with all reveals left. But since 2020's name is not "usually" then I dunno how they are gonna do it this time lol, so far we have gotten 3rd party 2021 reveals but as far as first party reveals for 2021…almost nothing lol, so yeah I dunno how are they gonna do it this time, so far September has been super packed with news, but I dunno if they will do it now or spread them out in the upcoming months 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I'm just hoping there's something.

With Mario All-Stars coming out, that leaves Breath of the Wild 2 as the only in-house Nintendo game confirmed outside of Smash and Pokemon DLC, with all the others coming from 3rd Party companies (which includes the new Hyrule Warriors).

Monolith Soft and HAL Laboratory have both been very silent (though highly believed to be working on next Xenoblade and Kirby). I highly doubt that all of Intelligent Systems was working on Paper Mario so they gotta have had something else in the pipeline.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just hoping there's something.

With Mario All-Stars coming out, that leaves Breath of the Wild 2 as the only in-house Nintendo game confirmed outside of Smash and Pokemon DLC, with all the others coming from 3rd Party companies (which includes the new Hyrule Warriors).

Monolith Soft and HAL Laboratory have both been very silent (though highly believed to be working on next Xenoblade and Kirby). I highly doubt that all of Intelligent Systems was working on Paper Mario so they gotta have had something else in the pipeline.
I'm expecting 2021 will have more original releases and more reveals from Nintendo than this year did.

Some stuff got pushed into next year, but 2020 was always going to be low-key, I'm fairly sure. There's some dispute now, but in retrospect, I doubt this year will be looked upon favourably in terms of Nintendo's output. I don't think the same will be said for 2021.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
If that's what you're implying, you're quite optimistic to believe that FF16 will arrive in 2021. IMO, its trailer was kind of meh, not light hearted enough, but it's the FF14 team behind it so I'm still hoping it will be a great game. For 2023 at best.
Well, Yoshida said the next news drop will be in 2021, that's what I was referring to.
And I don't see how light hearted is a good or bad thing? xD I'm just curious to see what'll unfold

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
And I don't see how light hearted is a good or bad thing? xD I'm just curious to see what'll unfold
Final Fantasy games can be somewhat dark or grim, but they usually have at least some light hearted and/or funny part. They also features a party of several characters.

But none of that was shown on that trailer. They seems to have gone back to medieval set-up too, instead of mixing fantasy with sci-fi, and the only character fighting was the protagonist alone. All of that makes the game feels like a generic western action RPG. Don't get me wrong, it may be that and be good as well, but what I saw for now don't really excite me.

Jibunzo

Smash Rookie
Final Fantasy games can be somewhat dark or grim, but they usually have at least some light hearted and/or funny part. They also features a party of several characters.

But none of that was shown on that trailer. They seems to have gone back to medieval set-up too, instead of mixing fantasy with sci-fi, and the only character fighting was the protagonist alone. All of that makes the game feels like a generic western action RPG. Don't get me wrong, it may be that and be good as well, but what I saw for now don't really excite me.
Final Fantasy has been leaning HARD into Sci-Fi since 2009, so a shift back in the other direction excites me. Will it go exceptionally far towards medieval? Perhaps, but after XIII and XV, I would argue that would be warranted. And it's a reveal trailer, how many Final Fantasy games have played to their humor upon first showing?

I do hear what you're saying, Final Fantasy IX is my all-time favorite game (maybe next to Dark Souls). IX is full of humor and charm, whimsical design and distinct characters (that mask some of the darkest moments and themes in the franchise). But the real strength comes from the writing, and as far as we know, FF XVI is going to have a strong team of creative force behind it. That is the thing to be excited about, or at least optimistic. XIII an XV were full of all kinds of narrative pitfalls, and I think XVI has a chance to be a real return to form.

Top Bottom