• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still kinda wonder how the Djinn system would work, since I don't know Golden Sun all that well. Would it be like Isaac's attacks increase with his Djinn or something? Would it be a one-time attack a la Limit Break? How did it work in Golden Sun itself?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I still kinda wonder how the Djinn system would work, since I don't know Golden Sun all that well. Would it be like Isaac's attacks increase with his Djinn or something? Would it be a one-time attack a la Limit Break? How did it work in Golden Sun itself?
A characters stats and available attacks changed depending on the combination of Djinn that were set on that character. If the Djinn were changed to standby the character would lose the affect of that Djinn (and so their stats and available attacks would change) but they could then use that Djinn to cast a summon.

It's like:

Set Djinn = access to more powerful stats and attacks
Standby Djinn = access to more powerful summons

For the summons, you gain access to more powerful ones by having more available Djinn of that type. (that are on standby)
So...

1 Venus Djinn on standby = Venus
2 Venus Djinn on standby = Ramses
3 Venus Djinn on standby = Cybele
4 Venus Djinn on standby = Judgement

Djinn are automatically "set" after they are used in a summon. (so summoning also changes your characters stats and attacks afterwards) I'm not sure if I'm remembering this part correctly but I think you have to use up a turn if you want to change a Djinn from "set" to "standby", so it's not automatic.

It has the potential to get complicated but I could certainly see them implement a more scaled back version of this mechanic. (I mean Shulk's monado arts are also kinda simplified in Smash)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A characters stats and available attacks changed depending on the combination of Djinn that were set on that character. If the Djinn were changed to standby the character would lose the affect of that Djinn (and so their stats and available attacks would change) but they could then use that Djinn to cast a summon.

It's like:

Set Djinn = access to more powerful stats and attacks
Standby Djinn = access to more powerful summons

For the summons, you gain access to more powerful ones by having more available Djinn of that type. (that are on standby)
So...

1 Venus Djinn on standby = Venus
2 Venus Djinn on standby = Ramses
3 Venus Djinn on standby = Cybele
4 Venus Djinn on standby = Judgement

Djinn are automatically "set" after they are used in a summon. (so summoning also changes your characters stats and attacks afterwards) I'm not sure if I'm remembering this part correctly but I think you have to use up a turn if you want to change a Djinn from "set" to "standby", so it's not automatic.

It has the potential to get complicated but I could certainly see them implement a more scaled back version of this mechanic. (I mean Shulk's monado arts are also kinda simplified in Smash)
I remember playing through GS for the first time as a kid and never using Djinns as anything but summons. Didn't really get or care that those numbers going up meant good things for the character, I just wanted to do big damage and see cool animations.

I like to believe that I've gotten better at RPGs but sometimes I wonder.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I was thinking it would work like a mix of Monado Arts and Hero's spells. So you'd have to select one of the four elements so Flint, Fever, Gust and Chill and once they're used they'd be in cool down and during cool down Isaac would have a change in stats like increased falling speed or higher knockback for example until the djinn recharges

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, with the recent source code leaks and proving that Luigi is in Mario 64, what do you think we’ll find if we get the Golden Sun & The Lost Age source codes? I’m honestly curious about that. More of “Emo” Saturos? Lol

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
So, with the recent source code leaks and proving that Luigi is in Mario 64, what do you think we’ll find if we get the Golden Sun & The Lost Age source codes? I’m honestly curious about that. More of “Emo” Saturos? Lol
Waluigi was meant to be a playable character for Golden Sun Lost Ages

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
If the new game is a remake/remaster of the first two games, I hope they at least do what Dark Dawn did with the Djinn. It was really cool for all the Djinn to have their own unique designs.

I would also like for leveling up to mean more than just an overall stats boost. What I mean is to have a Psynergy tree for each character where you can unlock special Psynergy with points instead of hoping to get the right mix and match of Djinn. Or maybe tie certain Psynergy moves to every Djinn so you know exactly what you’ll have when setting them to a character.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
If the new game is a remake/remaster of the first two games, I hope they at least do what Dark Dawn did with the Djinn. It was really cool for all the Djinn to have their own unique designs.

I would also like for leveling up to mean more than just an overall stats boost. What I mean is to have a Psynergy tree for each character where you can unlock special Psynergy with points instead of hoping to get the right mix and match of Djinn. Or maybe tie certain Psynergy moves to every Djinn so you know exactly what you’ll have when setting them to a character.
Hard agree on unique Djinn designs, it's kinda strange that they have different names but no distinct appearance. As for the skill tree, I wouldn't mind that, especially if they did it like Dragon Quest XI (one of the best RPGs ever made, imo) but I'd rather for a GS1+2 remake they leave leveling up alone. A sequel iterating on that idea would be lovely, however.

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to Isaac's potential moveset:

we should see both rock and plant based Venus psynergy attacks. he should definitely use his hand psynergy in some way. Grabs would be a pretty fitting way, or maybe a special move. Honestly though I could even see it being a standard attack. Like if you charge a forward smash it lets out move, but charge it longer Isaac throws out force.

And yeah, Judgement would be the best final smash for Isaac. Though I wouldn't be opposed to Megiddo being it either if they give Isaac the Sword that allows that weapon unleash.

Djinn could be cool and allow for something really unique or interesting. That said I don't consider them a "necessity" and would be fine with Isaac having a simpler moveset. If there isn't some Djinn gimmick though, they'll still hopefully have some presence, whether having they maybe float around when using certain attacks, or as a part of a taunt or victory screen.

beyond that, well, I just hope Isaac's moveset would be more psynergy based than sword-based. That's not to say Isaac shouldn't use a sword at all though, as I've never agreed with those that think he should have no sword moves whatsoever, he should have a few or so atleast. Last thing I want is a "Brawl/Smash 4 Ganon" where a character has a sword on them but never actually use it.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Oh wow I only now just figured out that Reveal shows you if barrels and boxes and stuff have items in them. That's really cool and I wished I learned this way sooner lol. Just got through Aqua Rock too.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Waluigi was meant to be a playable character for Golden Sun Lost Ages
Waluigi was originally the main villain of GS, but they changed their minds at the last minute and replaced him with some Alex guy, never even managed to program a boss fight for him.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm curious... (I know this is an Isaac thread)

What if this is the last Smash pass... and with 5 characters, it is possible we could be limited to only one RPG character (though, unlikely- Smash is literred with them).

If we can only get one more RPG character, would you want it to be Isaac?

(Personally... I am torn. I'm quick to say yes, but then I know how Sora would make the game of Smash even bigger, which could overall be better for the franchise).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

What if this is the last Smash pass... and with 5 characters, it is possible we could be limited to only one RPG character (though, unlikely- Smash is literred with them).

(Personally... I am torn. I'm quick to say yes, but then I know how Sora would make the game of Smash even bigger, which could overall be better for the franchise).
I would want it to be Isaac.

That said, we can get around that by calling Kingdom Hearts an action-RPG, and therefore a different genre. So you could get both.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

Sure, Isaac is my top priority within those games.
Say, Hollow Knight isn't rpg, right?

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I would only want Isaac.

I wouldn't mind Lloyd, but not if it means Isaac doesn't get a spot. I don't care for Sora, would be a bit mad if he got in over Isaac.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

Yes, after him there's no one who I could ask for with a "realistic" chance.

And I'm not sure if Sora will necessarily make things better, who knows what Disney might want to do.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Isaac out of personal bias. None of my other most-wanteds are really RPGs anyways (Except maybe Alucard and Miriam, but they're metroidvanias first and foremost), so there wouldn't be an interference.
Sure, Isaac is my top priority within those games.
Say, Hollow Knight isn't rpg, right?
Hollow Knight isn't really an RPG, no. It lacks a proper leveling system, stats, and a customizable loadout. It's closer to Metroid than IGA-era Castlevania in that regard.
I would want it to be Isaac.

That said, we can get around that by calling Kingdom Hearts an action-RPG, and therefore a different genre. So you could get both.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I would like Sora. But Isaac should have been in Smash as a fighter since Brawl imo. I have to go for Isaac all the way. Also, the idea of Sora getting in before Isaac just feels...wrong to me in several ways. Sora, a 3rd Party character that is Disney’s property that could be very expensive to add over Isaac, a 1st Party Nintendo owned property that would be easy and cheap just doesn’t set right for me.
Just to clarify, I do want Sora in Smash. I just want Isaac in first.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would like Sora. But Isaac should have been in Smash as a fighter since Brawl imo. I have to go for Isaac all the way. Also, the idea of Sora getting in before Isaac just feels...wrong to me in several ways. Sora, a 3rd Party character that is Disney’s property that could be very expensive to add over Isaac, a 1st Party Nintendo owned property that would be easy and cheap just doesn’t set right for me.
Just to clarify, I do want Sora in Smash. I just want Isaac in first.
I do have those long lists of.... "what if options."

Melee- Togepi. Excite Biker.
Brawl- Dixie. Toad. Meowth. Sceptile. Vaati. Isaac. (I agree).
Sm4sh- Chibi Robo. Balloon Fighter. Bandana Dee. Lip. Rayman. Frogger.
That would have helped round out the cast... so much in my eyes for what we have today.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

Absolutely lol. I honestly don't think Sora's going to be even coming. That's a character that I think is too big and difficult to secure than what the payoff is.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
I believe it would be nice for Isaac to be purely Venus/earth based and if Golden Sun does well and more people are interested like it was with fire emblem the case, another GS character could be added in the next smash game who would experiment with various Djinn combinations. Like Robin for Fire Emblem is different than say Marth.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Asking me to choose only one RPG character is tough especially with the example of Sora as KH II still stands as my favorite game. But if pressed I would say Isaac. And the only reason is that I have spent many years waiting for Isaac to get into Smash. I want that wait to be paid off, plus I enjoy it more when Nintendo characters get into this Nintendo fighting game. Sora would be a dope addition for sure but he just can't beat the character that started my Smash speculation career. Besides we need Sora to focus on getting into a new Dissidia that doesn't suck.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
I compiled a document on all the evidence we have with some help with the Angara Continent Discord Server: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fJDh4wuSFxKNVUOUGnmqOE4NVSFdQToyPjTXPk6eHM8/edit?usp=sharing

You can comment on it if you like btw.
Long post (better put it in spoiler):
There're some that are a huge stretch.
3- Yes and not. The fact they take this long and they haven't announced their new project it's good and bad. Good because that could mean its project could be more ambitious than a sport game. Also, they already have Mario characters designs in-game and an engine, something very important in the development and can reduce a lot the time of a project.
Bad because MTA was launched in 2018, despite having MTUS as a base 3 years ago, and it was a barebone title. MTA expanded a bit more (with a not very good story mode) but, like its predecessor, it didn't have a lot of content.
We tend to see the development years of prior Camelot titles, but people often forgets those titles weren't HD titles. We know japanese companies really struggled to jump HD development and their games took more years in order to be developed, so that could mean Mario Golf could have the same destiny.
We don't know how exactly was the development of MTA, if they use MTUS as a base or not, and if Camelot worked on it since MTUS was launched, or they started to work when they finished with Mario Sports from 3ds. Also, we don't know if a new Golden Sun title or a Mario Golf would use the same engine (I'd like to say yes, but well).
7- Nate Drake never stated Mario Golf isn't happening. The context of that statement was Mario Golf (and Wace Race) wouldn't be launched in 2020. If you want to add the link, btw, it's this one . That doesn't mean Mario Golf is happening, or maybe he knows the game isn't developed; but it's a bit misleading saying he stated that. Also, some users in resetera forum said Nate has said he didn't heard a Golden Sun game is coming, but no one provides a source so Idk if it's true or not.
9- Stating he was the likely second most voted is a huuuuuge strench.... Just put he ranked very high in internet polls and that's all. Isaac is my most-wanted character since Brawl, but I really doubt he was the second one in the poll. If he was the second one, we would already get him.
13- I really doubt that statement increase or is a hint for a new GS game... It's more a curiosity.
14- We already got Dark Dawn. I don't get why that point exists.

I'd add some points:
-At least Smash team knows Golden Sun is popular because of the amount of spirits. The normal would be having only the 3 earth characters if we see how Smash team represented the other AT franchises, but we also got the original party, Jenna and a evolved Isaac. The other anormal franchise without a playable character but having a lot of spirits is Rhythm Heaven and we know in sm4sh they wanted to do something with it (a playable character or a stage).
- Camelot president still wants to do RPG games, or, at least, a new Shining Force (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ss_is_keen_to_make_shining_force_iv_a_reality ) It's not linked directly to Golden Sun, but at least it removes the idea they only want to do mario sport games.
- As someone said before in this thread, the map from MTA emulates the point of view of Golden Sun maps, so that could mean they experimented with its engine to emulate a new golden sun game.

Also, sorry because I edited one thing by mistake and it's still appears lol

Welp, we could have the golden sun games from gba... or a better option, the prototype from N64 that we know it existed at some point, but we don't have any footage.
I don't know if the datamine of GS showed Mia being in the first village (like that footage we have), but if it doesn't, we could have that prototype in this leak.

Also, for the people who are fan of Sakuraba, it seems he'll work in a new RPG game from the creators of Suikoden. But it's gonna be a kickstarter project aimed to 2022, so probably he isn't full on board (and also he isn't the main composer I think.).

Smash Lord
Also, for the people who are fan of Sakuraba, it seems he'll work in a new RPG game from the creators of Suikoden. But it's gonna be a kickstarter project aimed to 2022, so probably he isn't full on board (and also he isn't the main composer I think.).
That shouldn't be a big deal, the man has worked on multiple videogame soundtracks a year at times, he's pretty efficient and fast by the look of it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Doubt it, seems its basically only internally developed games
Unreleased games could very well be in that big data pile. Hell, they found Donkey Kong 4 in it which we didn't know existed until yesterday:

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

I know this has already been beaten to death in this thread, but yeah, I'd absolutely want Isaac. I'm biased, of course, but he's the protagonist of a beloved Nintendo RPG series that has been a viable candidate for Smash since Brawl, yet still doesn't have a playable character. Isaac feels like a slam-dunk choice, one who may well have been added already had Dark Dawn not flopped (which is kind of unfair given how it was released during the twilight days of the DS). Meanwhile, Geno is a non-first-party Mario character who wasn't even the main character of his game, Rex and Elma are relatively low priority given Shulk is already playable, and basically every other RPG character worth talking about is third-party (Sora and Lloyd in particular). That's not to say I have anything against those characters (I like to think of Geno fans as our brothers in arms), but if you're drawing the arbitrary line in the sand that only one RPG character gets into the final five, then my choice is Isaac, no hesistation.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Unreleased games could very well be in that big data pile. Hell, they found Donkey Kong 4 in it which we didn't know existed until yesterday:

Unreleased or not that was still being internally developed unlike GS

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Are you saying they never started work on Golden Sun 64? Could you show me the source?
He's saying what seems to be leaking are mostly games made internally at Nintendo, not ones made by partners and subsidiaries like Camelot, who were the developers of Golden Sun 64. It's possible that most external games aren't within the data that was leaked.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He's saying what seems to be leaking are mostly games made internally at Nintendo, not ones made by partners and subsidiaries like Camelot, who were the developers of Golden Sun 64. It's possible that most external games aren't within the data that was leaked.
I see. It still could be possible though. Castlevania 4 assets were in the data pile.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
It would be a really cool discovery IF Golden Sun 64 is in the database. Makes me wonder what it could have been.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be a really cool discovery IF Golden Sun 64 is in the database. Makes me wonder what it could have been.
I remember Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon told me Golden Sun 64 was just a N64 version of the first two GBA games. When they dropped the project on the N64, they split it in half and made it into two games on the GBA according to what Summon.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Yeah, I bet it would be an early version of the GBA games, if it exists at all. They were always meant to be one game, but cartridge sizes on the GBA forced them to split the two.

Smash Lord
The GBA games do use pre-rendered sprites for its characters so most likely the original N64 prototypes 3D models were compressed into sprites to fit the GBA

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The GBA games do use pre-rendered sprites for its characters so most likely the original N64 prototypes 3D models were compressed into sprites to fit the GBA
GS's pre-rendered sprites don't look like low-poly N64 models though.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
That shouldn't be a big deal, the man has worked on multiple videogame soundtracks a year at times, he's pretty efficient and fast by the look of it
No, no, it was a comment for people who are fan of his work. He should be also working in the new Tales of and the new project from Camelot, wathever it is.

Doubt it, seems its basically only internally developed games
At first I thought that but in this leak they've found diamond/pearl's beta, so well, there's hope.

Edit: A lot of grammar mistakes in one phrase >->

Last edited:
Top Bottom