• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ZelDan

Smash Master
What I want to know is how the Spirit Battles with Isaac's trophy would change. It seems like he's there to make sure you know it's Golden Sun, but what if he's a fighter? Do we keep it the same? Remove it entirely? Replace it with Isaac as a fighter?
I guess we will have to wait and see how they handle Min Min in WoL. If they replace her spirit battle with a battle to unlock her then Isaac or any spirited/At'd/Mii costumed character would get the same treatment.

if they don't change hers, they probably wouldn't change any other character with existing representation in WoL.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess we will have to wait and see how they handle Min Min in WoL. If they replace her spirit battle with a battle to unlock her then Isaac or any spirited/At'd/Mii costumed character would get the same treatment.

if they don't change hers, they probably wouldn't change any other character with existing representation in WoL.
The thing is, Min Min doesn't exist in the Spirit Battle beyond the Spirit; Isaac, on the other hand, pops up in multiple battles as an Assist trophy, so it would take a bit more effort to work around that, especially if we're going down the route of "Fighters cannot summon themselves as Assists."

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What I want to know is how the Spirit Battles with Isaac's trophy would change. It seems like he's there to make sure you know it's Golden Sun, but what if he's a fighter? Do we keep it the same? Remove it entirely? Replace it with Isaac as a fighter?
The board would most likely just not have the isaac spirit fight.
iirc none of the boards have the DLC fighter's spirit in it, just the others. You just unlock that one by playing with the fighter or buying it from the shop. It would be no different from what we have seen so far. If some of those other spirits include isaac's fighter participating, then they just don't have the AT turned on for those spirit fights. It's pretty freaking simple lol. There is no need to over complicate it, they just make it work turning off and on whatever, and using whatever in each spirit fight. There is nothing complicated about this.

post data: I dunno if people have mentioned this, but I feel like we could get even new versions of spirits if there was a remaster or new game as well coming. It would be pretty dope tbh.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The board would most likely just not have the isaac spirit fight.
iirc none of the boards have the DLC fighter's spirit in it, just the others. You just unlock that one by playing with the fighter or buying it from the shop. It would be no different from what we have seen so far. If some of those other spirits include isaac's fighter participating, then they just don't have the AT turned on for those spirit fights. It's pretty freaking simple lol. There is no need to over complicate it, they just make it work turning off and on whatever, and using whatever in each spirit fight. There is nothing complicated about this.

post data: I dunno if people have mentioned this, but I feel like we could get even new versions of spirits if there was a remaster or new game as well coming. It would be pretty dope tbh.
What I was thinking of is what happens when you go after Golden Sun Spirits that have Isaac trophy while playing as Isaac himself. Chances are they'll change if you buy the DLC like with the Cuphead Spirits, but it's still something to think about.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What I was thinking of is what happens when you go after Golden Sun Spirits that have Isaac trophy while playing as Isaac himself. Chances are they'll change if you buy the DLC like with the Cuphead Spirits, but it's still something to think about.
Similar to cuphead yeah, and if you're playing as isaac , the enemy isaac will just be a different color alt. That's my guess anyway.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why they'd bother limiting it. I don't believe that when deciding the characters for Fighters Pass Vol. 2, Sakurai said "ok we're going to make an Assist Trophy playable, but only one." He would consider each character's merits independently of all other circumstances, and if Nintendo told him to make both Isaac and Waluigi fighters, I think he'd go with it. As we saw, Spring Man was a possibility and his AT didn't affect his chances at all, he just wasn't chosen because the producer of ARMS wanted Min Min.
I think it's less of a limit and more about the probabilities, a single upgrade is more likely than 2 or more. Sure, it's possible, but the chances are much lower.

The Min Min battle would still give you the equippable Spirit. As for how you unlock her as playable, the most likely thing would be that there's no unlocking battle at all like the rest of the DLC characters and you just recieve a pop-up message, wether she's unlocked after you finish her Spirit battle or she's unlocked with the exact same methods as the previous 6 characters.

They made the map drawing only with the base game in mind and haven't bothered to update it in any way. Not even a portal to new areas exclusively for the new stuff, just Spirit Board additions.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think it's less of a limit and more about the probabilities, a single upgrade is more likely than 2 or more. Sure, it's possible, but the chances are much lower.
Sure, but that still has to do with the characters themselves, their status as Assist Trophies has no bearing on it. For example, I only think two Assists are incredibly likely to be upgraded (Isaac and Waluigi) but not because those two are Assists, but because they have a massive fanbase and Isaac specifically possibly has games to tie in to.

My overall point is that Sakurai wouldn't limit himself to selecting just one Assist Trophy for promotion, in fact, I don't think he considers what role a character currently has at all. Nintendo gives him the characters they want and Sakurai selects based on he thinks will work. He clearly isn't bothered by Min Min's current role as a Spirit nor was he bothered by Spring Man's as an Assist, he just went with Min Min because that's what Yabuki wanted.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well they would easily change it. Either they remove the AT and Mii costume to put Isaac instead, or leave the AT, and when defeated Isaac as a fighter spawns.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And what if we've got Felix instead ? With Matthew as his Echo? And Isaac becomes a newcomer the next game?

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
So, 5 more characters to go in pass #2 after this? This ARMS character clues me in right away that Rex & Pyra are likely another slot. A new Pokemon could be another; albeit it's strange to wait so long with it and I don't have a feel on the pulse of Pokemon anymore to know if there's even a character they'd want to use; so it's possible we don't even get a Pokemon at all.

It's really a question if Sakurai decides to "give the people what they want" in the same vein as King K. Rool or Ridley or if he'll mix in some more unexpected selections along with newer franchises Nintendo wants to promote. Not to say none of the above are not also popular choices.

It really ends up feeling like this is it. Maybe in an ideal situation we can split these spots with all three considerations and we get Isaac, Geno, Rex and 2 mystery choices. Wouldn't that be nice?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So, 5 more characters to go in pass #2 after this? This ARMS character clues me in right away that Rex & Pyra are likely another slot. A new Pokemon could be another; albeit it's strange to wait so long with it and I don't have a feel on the pulse of Pokemon anymore to know if there's even a character they'd want to use; so it's possible we don't even get a Pokemon at all.

It's really a question if Sakurai decides to "give the people what they want" in the same vein as King K. Rool or Ridley or if he'll mix in some more unexpected selections along with newer franchises Nintendo wants to promote. Not to say none of the above are not also popular choices.

It really ends up feeling like this is it. Maybe in an ideal situation we can split these spots with all three considerations and we get Isaac, Geno, Rex and 2 mystery choices. Wouldn't that be nice?
I feel like Geno is the next Spirit character in line to get promoted. I'm like 99% sure he is happening.
Personally I feel like just the fact alone that we were blindsided by the first fighter being from Arms should be giving people a lot more pause before they start heavily believing that any particular character is getting in. I don't think I'd say I was even anywhere near 50% sure of any particular characters chances right now.

Edit: Not to mention, a lot of people thought Heihachi was a likely pick for this fighter pass as another Bandai Namco rep and he got mii costumed. (as dlc)

On another note, the Pokemon presentation was today and no sign of a Smash fighter. Just some mobile game.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
My overall point is that Sakurai wouldn't limit himself to selecting just one Assist Trophy for promotion, in fact, I don't think he considers what role a character currently has at all. Nintendo gives him the characters they want and Sakurai selects based on he thinks will work. He clearly isn't bothered by Min Min's current role as a Spirit nor was he bothered by Spring Man's as an Assist, he just went with Min Min because that's what Yabuki wanted.
I cannot say spirit and ATs/pokeballs/bosses are the same. Spirits are basically high-resolution images that were drawn by the original games, while the NPCs need to be created with time, effort and budget.

With that said, the bothersome part would be the effort, time and cost. I think Nintendo and Sakurai did noticed that they feel concerned about budget, so that probably makes sense why the AT promotion could bother them.

If I want a character to be playable, I'd definitely feel bothered to make him/her an NPC. That could be the right logic here. Now suppose some of the current AT characters shouldn't be ATs, it'd be more direct ro question why NIntendo didn't feel bothered to create them?

I feel like Geno is the next Spirit character in line to get promoted. I'm like 99% sure he is happening.
I can clearly say Geno isn't comparable to Min Min when it comes to spirit promotion. Alloring spirit promotion is still not garuntee to a specific character from the ocean of canddiates.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Dorayaki, by that logic, Chrom shouldn't be here because he's an NPC too.
Limiting yourself because of a decision made 4 to 5 years ago, after that time and effort have been paid back by the game sales already is nonsensical.
"Oh, I already drew that character 5 years ago. I have no reason to draw them again now."
It's not like they'd lose anything doing so. They won't erase the AT or something like that. It would still be here, so it's not a question of one dev being "damn, I was proud of the work I did on that assist trophy. It sucks that it's going to be removed at the next update."

Heck, with that logic, Spirit Battle shouldn't change either when you purchase a DLC, after all someone put time and effort making them right ?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can clearly say Geno isn't comparable to Min Min when it comes to spirit promotion. Alloring spirit promotion is still not garuntee to a specific character from the ocean of canddiates.
Indeed. People have this idea of this Pass being full of fan-requested characters. That didn't happen in the first pass. This is why I say, if there is one AT upgrade, there won't likely be another. I'm sure Nintendo has promotional characters lined up. We're not going to get Isaac, Geno, Waluigi all in this pass. Sorry.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm fully of the opinion that the only in-game role that indicates a character isn't a contender for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 is if they're a purchasable Mii costume. Both DLC Mii costumes and DLC Fighters generally sell based on the characters alone, so double dipping for one in particular is a little scummy and thus unlikely. Otherwise, spirits, assists or base-game mii costumes are free, so I don't see them as off the table for premium content.

On a different note, it looks like if you own the DLC for Min Min, they're repurposing her existing spirit as her fighter spirit. I'm basing this on her not appearing on the ARMS spirit board we've seen. I was expecting them to just add a new spirit for her, but it seems they didn't. This has interesting implications for World of Light, since her spirit is part of it.. maybe they'll use her old spirit battle there? Maybe it'll get converted into a Fighter unlock? Maybe they'll replace that spirit with a different one that's only on the spirit board? Also will her existing spirit still show in the Spirit Board?

This also paints an interesting picture for Isaac, were he to get in. His spirit is upgradeable, which Fighter spirits are not. Would his fighter spirit be upgradeable? Would they remove the upgrade and make his default spirit battle be for the upgraded version?

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I cannot say spirit and ATs/pokeballs/bosses are the same. Spirits are basically high-resolution images that were drawn by the original games, while the NPCs need to be created with time, effort and budget.

With that said, the bothersome part would be the effort, time and cost. I think Nintendo and Sakurai did noticed that they feel concerned about budget, so that probably makes sense why the AT promotion could bother them.

If I want a character to be playable, I'd definitely feel bothered to make him/her an NPC. That could be the right logic here. Now suppose some of the current AT characters shouldn't be ATs, it'd be more direct ro question why NIntendo didn't feel bothered to create them?
If I'm interpreting this correctly, you believe that because they spent time and effort to create the Assist Trophies, they wouldn't want to "waste" that effort by upgrading the character. I understand that viewpoint, but I think it's flawed. It's well-known that Sakurai tries to make the most complete game he can, with no consideration for DLC as the game is being developed. Afterwards, he then selects DLC based on what Nintendo wants and what he believes to be feasible. Fighters Pass 1 was a little different, because the characters were decided before the game was released, meaning "promotions" weren't likely because they could've happened during the Pass and a Min Min or Isaac Spirit missing would've tipped people off. However, Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was decided after the game released, meaning they don't have to worry about tipping people off with base-game content. I believe that Sakurai went into Ultimate's development with the intention of adding as much as he could, and characters like Isaac couldn't quite make the base-game roster, so he became an Assist Trophy, because that was the next-best thing Sakurai could do and Nintendo didn't request him for FP1. However, if Nintendo requests Isaac for FP2, Sakurai no longer has to worry about time constraints or whatever left Isaac off the roster initially because he'll be devoting his time to the character. And since presumably he knows that Isaac has a massive fanbase, he'd be jumping at the chance to please the fans.

Additionally, we've seen characters that can fill multiple roles in the game, as Kalaam Kalaam mentioned. Chrom is both a playable character and in Robin's Final Smash and Victory screen. So if the devs weren't bothered by the possibility of Chrom beating up Chrom (with the same color, since Robin's FS uses default Chrom), they wouldn't care about a summonable NPC that only sometimes appears out of an item that they can disable.

Also, since you mentioned budget, wouldn't it be easier to "upgrade" Assists since you already have a model and some animations? They would need some polish, but you already have high-quality textures and a base to work off of, so it would be less expensive than starting from scratch.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
think it's flawed. It's well-known that Sakurai tries to make the most complete game he can, with no consideration for DLC as the game is being developed.

Also, since you mentioned budget, wouldn't it be easier to "upgrade" Assists since you already have a model and some animations?
if we're using the assumption that NIntendo don't mind to spend budget when they really want to do a character, that could be used to explain they are willing to do a whole new character, not necessarily promoting the NPCs.

(And still I'm against the idea that promoting NPCs is easy, since moveset has been recognized as the core of a fighter).

My point is, put some other special cases aside, maybe some of the characters do not suit the NPCs since the beginning when other characters would fit in better? In the case of Spring Man, some may argue that he is a very vital character so the AT treatment isn't appropriate.
That's why I say people should complain about the ATs even if they're not garunteed to be fighters in short time.

Additionally, we've seen characters that can fill multiple roles in the game, as Kalaam Kalaam mentioned. Chrom is both a playable character and in Robin's Final Smash and Victory screen. So if the devs weren't bothered by the possibility of Chrom beating up Chrom (with the same color, since Robin's FS uses default Chrom), they wouldn't care about a summonable NPC that only sometimes appears out of an item that they can disable.
It could be either we treat this as a special case, or be a reason why fans can ask NIntendo to fix Robin's final Smash to avoid the conflict. Otherwise it'd be same with Spring Man being both cameos in final smash and assist trohpy, this point of view doesn't help too much for new fighter argument.

On the other hand, since all the past traces of the currently promoted fighters (Dark Samus, Ridley, Isabelle, Mac) have been removed intentionally, it ends up like a 4 against 1 voting.

I've noted this before, the matter is if "characters being playable and nonplayable" idea is legit, it should be implemented as a common rule to all characters in this game, such as Bowser as stage boss, Mario as AT and Pichu as pokeball summon. If people just want to use that argument for a specific future DLC fighter, that wouldn't make NIntendo feel this is an honest and fair opinion.

It'd be like you go to meet your company boss, you complain that "all employess should get more rest!", that's persuasive. But if you say "only I should get more rest", that doesn't sound too right.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My guess is that if Isaac is part of the pack, then he'll get a new Spirit based on his (presumably) new design. He's a bit of a different situation than Min Min since ARMS is a much more recent game and her Smash design seems to closely match her source material.

As for the rest of the pack:
I think we'll still get another couple of third-party characters. Lloyd and Rayman look like strong candidates. I don't think Geno is that likely but he still seems possible. We could also get another surprise pick or two from franchises that aren't as strongly related to Nintendo. Characters like Travis Touchdown or Ryu Hayabusa come to mind.
For first-party characters, a Pokémon could definitely still happen, and Rex+Pyra is also there. Other than that, there aren't really many 'relevant' first party characters that seem to have a strong shot. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, and Paper Mario don't seem to be the kind of characters you'd expect in a DLC pack, and I also don't see much reason for Nintendo to push those characters super hard through Smash (yes, there is a new Paper Mario but I don't think that'll be enough). I'm also not quite sure where Waluigi stands, but his AT-hampered ballot performance and his inability to bring a new franchise or game world into Smash probably hurt him. Finally, support for several other AT/Spirit characters like Skull Kid has died down a bit and most of those characters had good but not necessarily great ballot presence.

So yeah tldr the rest of FP2 looks like a pretty wide-open competition with very few obvious front runners. If we get one more character where the ballot was of high consideration, then I think that Isaac has the best shot at that spot, more than even Geno and Waluigi.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
if we're using the assumption that NIntendo don't mind to spend budget when they really want to do a character, that could be used to explain they are willing to do a whole new character, not necessarily promoting the NPCs.

(And still I'm against the idea that promoting NPCs is easy, since moveset has been recognized as the core of a fighter).

My point is, put some other special cases aside, maybe some of the characters do not suit the NPCs since the beginning when other characters would fit in better? In the case of Spring Man, some may argue that he is a very vital character so the AT treatment isn't appropriate.
That's why I say people should complain about the ATs even if they're not garunteed to be fighters in short time.
You've missed my point about budget. My point was that it would be cheaper to upgrade Assists because some assets have already been made. And I never said promoting NPCs would be easy, I just said it would be easier than starting from scratch.

It could be either we treat this as a special case, or be a reason why fans can ask NIntendo to fix Robin's final Smash to avoid the conflict. Otherwise it'd be same with Spring Man being both cameos in final smash and assist trohpy, this point of view doesn't help too much for new fighter argument.

On the other hand, since all the past traces of the currently promoted fighters (Dark Samus, Ridley, Isabelle, Mac) have been removed intentionally, it ends up like a 4 against 1 voting.

I've noted this before, the matter is if "characters being playable and nonplayable" idea is legit, it should be implemented as a common rule to all characters in this game, such as Bowser as stage boss, Mario as AT and Pichu as pokeball summon. If people just want to use that argument for a specific future DLC fighter, that wouldn't make NIntendo feel this is an honest and fair opinion.

It'd be like you go to meet your company boss, you complain that "all employess should get more rest!", that's persuasive. But if you say "only I should get more rest", that doesn't sound too right.
But that's a false dichotomy, there's more than two options here. You saying that characters should be implemented in non-playable roles, like Bowser as a stage boss, is all fine and good, but acting like the only options are "everyone gets a secondary role" and "nobody can possibly ever have more than one role" is, quite frankly, stupid. As we see in the game, characters hold more than one role, such as my previous example Chrom, King K. Rool, who also has a Mii Costume, characters like Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, and more, who also have Mii Costumes, and hell we even have a precedent for playable characters having a non-playable role and being replaced under certain conditions: Toon Link's role on Spirit Train is just that - a cameo that can be replaced.

Every previous example of Assist "upgrades" has been between games, because DLC hasn't really been an option before. Smash 4's DLC was mostly returning vets and new third-parties, first-party characters weren't really on the table, and FP1 was decided before the game was released, meaning ATs probably weren't available for that one, either, but that's clearly changed for Fighter Pass 2, since Min Min was the first character of FP2. I'd love it if Robin's Final Smash was changed, but since it wasn't, it means that "issues" like that didn't bother the staff enough to change it.

I think what my overall point is that if Nintendo wants a character to be added to Smash Bros, Sakurai wouldn't be held back by a decision made three years ago to make them an NPC for the base game, especially if he gets a chance to please fans, which is his stated goal.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Dorayaki, if you look at every instance that goes against your point as exeptions then debate is impossible. You are just being stubborn and rejecting all arguments because you just (for some reason) refuse to consider promotion a possibility.
I understand that you might not want to get hopeful and get disappointed, but don't try to rationalize your pessimism and impose it to others to feel better. Thank you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It would be cheaper to use an existing model, but not by much. You'd still need to revise it to bring in line fidelity-wise with the playable cast, as you would also have to with the skeleton, as ATs have more basic ones. But you'd still need new animations, creating the actual moveset, and balancing the character, which is a much more costly endeavour.

None of that is the point though. Yes, it might be a little cheaper. But, that's been true this whole while, and it hasn't mattered. They opt for other characters, characters wherein they start with almost nothing, so we have no evidence that existing assets is a salient factor. So it's not meaningful.

It would be cheaper if they just went with first-parties, but they don't. It would be cheaper if they didn't give each character a full-fledged trailer. They obviously have the budget to not rely on these cost-cutting measures. So since they don't affect the decisions, they're not really relevant.

On the other hand, obviously they could just disable Isaac's AT from appearing were he a character currently in play, as they could if and when any AT makes the jump. From a technical standpoint it'd be exceedingly easy, and then they wouldn't overlap.

Though clearly there are examples of characters appearing concurrently, like Chrom or Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I feel it in my bones that at least one of the most requested characters, no matter what situation they find themselves in with Mii Costumes, Spirits, Assist Trophies, third parties - one of them is getting in undoubtedly. This pass is getting at least one Banjo, I'm sure of it, and it won't be a matter of the ""rules"" or the cost.

The thing that I fear is that this character is likely going to be Waluigi, because of his far more... general appeal. It helps that he's part of Mario, sure, but I think the thing that's going to sell it to whoever is making these decisions is who is most likely to appeal to the most people. Waluigi is kind of a meme, but it's a big Smash meme, and even if it is a meme it is a beloved one, and one that would see a lot of fans happy much like Banjo had.

How many Isaac fans are there? I know he's ranked high on fan polls, but... that high? Every time I see people list the top fan requested characters Isaac is mentioned maybe 30-40% of the time. It doesn't help that he's got the swordie aesthetic, after fan outcry about Byleth, though I'm pretty sure the second wave was already chosen before that reveal, hopefully they didn't choose a swordie then backtrack and change it after Byleth or anything. Doubtful, but you never know!

Don't get me wrong, I think things are looking up, up, and up for Isaac, and I still have hope! I just question if he has the oomph among the fan base that others have to have been noticed by Nintendo. I think the video of fans booing his Assist Trophy reveal definitely helped, but...

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Remember that Isaac would market a whole other game for Nintendo to sell, that's also a big deciding factor. What would nintendo make out of that "slot". Isaac is a long requested character, and would tie in a new game that Nintendo most likely want to sell.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
How many Isaac fans are there? I know he's ranked high on fan polls, but... that high? Every time I see people list the top fan requested characters Isaac is mentioned maybe 30-40% of the time. It doesn't help that he's got the swordie aesthetic, after fan outcry about Byleth,
On a lot of more recent polls and lists, Isaac is not as high because those results are skewed by people expecting big-ticket third parties and Isaac's status as an AT. But his support was loudest at a point when it arguably mattered the most, which was during the Smash Ballot (the Ballot doesn't get mentioned as much anymore in speculation but it almost certainly still holds a good deal of weight).

Also, if anything, Byleth still getting in despite having the 'generic sword user' aesthetic should further confirm for us that they (as in, Nintendo) pretty much don't care about any backlash from fans regarding FE reps and sword users and such. If they cared much at all about such complaints, then they would've stopped after Corrin. And I doubt Sakurai cares about it enough to stop him from adding a character that he wants, either. Besides, even with all the complaints and down-thumbing of the reveal trailer, Byleth's reveal was still praised by a lot of casual and mainstream media outlets, anyway.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It would be cheaper to use an existing model, but not by much. You'd still need to revise it to bring in line fidelity-wise with the playable cast, as you would also have to with the skeleton, as ATs have more basic ones. But you'd still need new animations, creating the actual moveset, and balancing the character, which is a much more costly endeavour.

None of that is the point though. Yes, it might be a little cheaper. But, that's been true this whole while, and it hasn't mattered. They opt for other characters, characters wherein they start with almost nothing, so we have no evidence that existing assets is a salient factor. So it's not meaningful.
I disagree. It is meaningful as it is one of many factors that can skew it. It didn't for Spring Man because the ARMS director specifically chose Min Min over him. There is no such situation I see where that happens with Isaac.

This is predicated on them deciding a Golden Sun fighter should be made playable, which in recent times, has become an increasingly less bold move.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I'm still very doubtful of his chance.

Heck, with that logic, Spirit Battle shouldn't change either when you purchase a DLC, after all someone put time and effort making them right ?
That's a clever thought.

My guess is that if Isaac is part of the pack, then he'll get a new Spirit based on his (presumably) new design. He's a bit of a different situation than Min Min since ARMS is a much more recent game and her Smash design seems to closely match her source material.

As for the rest of the pack:
I think we'll still get another couple of third-party characters. Lloyd and Rayman look like strong candidates. I don't think Geno is that likely but he still seems possible. We could also get another surprise pick or two from franchises that aren't as strongly related to Nintendo. Characters like Travis Touchdown or Ryu Hayabusa come to mind.
For first-party characters, a Pokémon could definitely still happen, and Rex+Pyra is also there. Other than that, there aren't really many 'relevant' first party characters that seem to have a strong shot. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, and Paper Mario don't seem to be the kind of characters you'd expect in a DLC pack, and I also don't see much reason for Nintendo to push those characters super hard through Smash (yes, there is a new Paper Mario but I don't think that'll be enough). I'm also not quite sure where Waluigi stands, but his AT-hampered ballot performance and his inability to bring a new franchise or game world into Smash probably hurt him. Finally, support for several other AT/Spirit characters like Skull Kid has died down a bit and most of those characters had good but not necessarily great ballot presence.

So yeah tldr the rest of FP2 looks like a pretty wide-open competition with very few obvious front runners. If we get one more character where the ballot was of high consideration, then I think that Isaac has the best shot at that spot, more than even Geno and Waluigi.
I agree with all of this. I think third parties are less likely on this pass, and since the start, third parties of western studio even less. Maybe Rayman and Steve have a chance, but I hardly disagree in the chance of Doom Slayer/Dovahkiin and a Halo rep. Others are even less likely.

Yeah, I'm feeling it this time. I'm hopeful the noise we made, the rank Isaac got in previous polls, the possibility for a remake, all of this play in our favor.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
So, 5 more characters to go in pass #2 after this?
At least five more, according to Sakurai, what makes me think they might pull up a bonus character at the end. Ultimately it comes down to waiting to see what we can expect with this fighters pass, hopefully more 1st party this time around which obviously is good for us, also if Camelot is really working on something Golden Sun related we could get a tie in with that, either remakes or 4th installment.

Aside from that, I think we can expect at least one fan demanded character, but it is still soon to know if it will be third party (Geno, for example) or first party (Isaac, Rex or Waluigi, for example)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You'd still need to revise it to bring in line fidelity-wise with the playable cast
They actually did this with the Mii costume.

The AT's moves, on the other hand are likely to be scrapped. They do not look like fighter moves at all, and an idea I had where they'd be turned into Isaac's throws (with the grab utilizing Catch Psynergy) would involve them being heavily toned down.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Remember that Isaac would market a whole other game for Nintendo to sell, that's also a big deciding factor. What would nintendo make out of that "slot". Isaac is a long requested character, and would tie in a new game that Nintendo most likely want to sell.
Is there a new game, or remake, or a rerelease happening? I genuinely don't know, which is why I'm asking. I mean I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that same logic applies to any Nintendo character. What makes Isaac stand out? Is the fanbase large enough to even warrant a rerelease of the Golden Sun 1&2? I want it to be, I just haven't seen it in my experience. Most people around me who I assume would have heard about it, haven't. Even the subreddit is... modest.

On a lot of more recent polls and lists, Isaac is not as high because those results are skewed by people expecting big-ticket third parties and Isaac's status as an AT. But his support was loudest at a point when it arguably mattered the most, which was during the Smash Ballot (the Ballot doesn't get mentioned as much anymore in speculation but it almost certainly still holds a good deal of weight).

Also, if anything, Byleth still getting in despite having the 'generic sword user' aesthetic should further confirm for us that they (as in, Nintendo) pretty much don't care about any backlash from fans regarding FE reps and sword users and such. If they cared much at all about such complaints, then they would've stopped after Corrin. And I doubt Sakurai cares about it enough to stop him from adding a character that he wants, either. Besides, even with all the complaints and down-thumbing of the reveal trailer, Byleth's reveal was still praised by a lot of casual and mainstream media outlets, anyway.
Fair enough I suppose. I'd heard he'd scored high, is there any idea how high exactly? My only argument regarding Byleth is, at the very least, they were a pretty clear advertisement for Three Houses, that series's most popular game to date with TONS of fans. Nintendo likely cares far more about that THAT than whether or not fans want swordies. Does Isaac have that going for him, does Sakurai even care about him?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I disagree. It is meaningful as it is one of many factors that can skew it. It didn't for Spring Man because the ARMS director specifically chose Min Min over him. There is no such situation I see where that happens with Isaac.

This is predicated on them deciding a Golden Sun fighter should be made playable, which in recent times, has become an increasingly less bold move.
If you start counting factors that could be important if precedent changes we'll be here all day.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Is there a new game, or remake, or a rerelease happening? I genuinely don't know, which is why I'm asking. I mean I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that same logic applies to any Nintendo character. What makes Isaac stand out? Is the fanbase large enough to even warrant a rerelease of the Golden Sun 1&2? I want it to be, I just haven't seen it in my experience. Most people around me who I assume would have heard about it, haven't. Even the subreddit is... modest.
Several insiders as of late have been claiming that Golden Sun is getting a new installment, and NateDrake on resetera has also claimed that Mario Golf is not happening. Plus many other insiders have been just randomly talking about Golden Sun for whatever reason.

The activity around Golden Sun is mostly focused on Twitter, where many of the users and fanartists flock to. There's been several Golden Sunday events done on Twitter, with the western, european, and eastern fanbases all contributing, with the fourth one having been last month, and the first, arguably largest one having happened shortly after Isaac's Assist Trophy was confirmed. There's also an upcoming OCRemix album out this week, called Golden Sun: A World Reignited, and major game developers such as Cory Barlog have openly discussed Golden Sun as well. This *exists*, and we've been showing our heads to Nintendo at times where it counted, never mind our position in the Smash Ballot five years ago.

> If you start counting factors that could be important if precedent changes we'll be here all day.

Except that the precedent hasn't actually changed. Sakurai has given control of his specific decisions to the attached developers already. That's how we got Incineroar, and arguably how we got almost every fighter in the last pass save for Banjo and the first two Hero alts, as well as the majority of Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Several insiders as of late have been claiming that Golden Sun is getting a new installment, and NateDrake on resetera has also claimed that Mario Golf is not happening. Plus many other insiders have been just randomly talking about Golden Sun for whatever reason.

The activity around Golden Sun is mostly focused on Twitter, where many of the users and fanartists flock to. There's been several Golden Sunday events done on Twitter, with the western, european, and eastern fanbases all contributing, with the fourth one having been last month, and the first, arguably largest one having happened shortly after Isaac's Assist Trophy was confirmed. There's also an upcoming OCRemix album out this week, called Golden Sun: A World Reignited, and major game developers such as Cory Barlog have openly discussed Golden Sun as well. This *exists*, and we've been showing our heads to Nintendo at times where it counted, never mind our position in the Smash Ballot five years ago.
Err, what's this about several insiders talking about a new installment to GS happening? This is the first I'm hearing this...

Monue

Smash Apprentice
This *exists*, and we've been showing our heads to Nintendo at times where it counted, never mind our position in the Smash Ballot five years ago.
Well hey if all that's true then count me hyped! As long as there has been consistent pressure applied and people have been making their voices (respectfully and through proper channels) heard somewhere that's awesome! Christ I want Isaac so bad, and that's all awesome news.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except that the precedent hasn't actually changed. Sakurai has given control of his specific decisions to the attached developers already. That's how we got Incineroar, and arguably how we got almost every fighter in the last pass save for Banjo and the first two Hero alts, as well as the majority of Fire Emblem characters.
Yes that's my point, precedent hasn't changed. There's no indication having existing assets is a factor in selecting characters.

It is not unique in that if we consider it might change, we can't also consider a myriad of other factors could change, which benefit any number of other characters. Until they do, we work with what we have.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Yes that's my point, precedent hasn't changed. There's no indication having existing assets is a factor in selecting characters.

It is not unique in that if we consider it might change, we can't also consider a myriad of other factors could change, which benefit any number of other characters. Until they do, we work with what we have.
Again, I disagree. This is absolutely something to consider, even if it's not a solely defining detail. Namely, it's one of the factors that would push Isaac above Felix or Matthew. Not the only one, but at least one of them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Again, I disagree. This is absolutely something to consider, even if it's not a solely defining detail. Namely, it's one of the factors that would push Isaac above Felix or Matthew. Not the only one, but at least one of them.
Why is it something to consider? Because it could happen? Countless things with some logical grounding could happen, that all affect different characters in different ways, but we can't just pick and choose the unproven hypotheticals we want to mean something.

If and when it happens, it'll shift thinking. Until then, there's as much logic for believing it's important as there is for any given theory devoid of evidence. Actually not just devoid of evidence, but evidence to the contrary.

Top Bottom