• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well depends, is it confirmed to be a renewal of the one that already existed or is it separate new one? That's the first question, which sadly i don't have a way of confirming myself. If it's renewed then it doesn't necessarily mean anything is happening, it's just them keeping their product protected. If it's a new one then maybe something could be being made. From what I can see it hasn't reached "final decision" step, so it hasn't been approved yet. Seems like it's still in progress steps towards that.
View attachment 273077
True but the trademark was still accepted by the original filing from 2018. The status of that one was "Registered and In Use" and was a new trademark, unrelated to any renewal. I'm just curious how we make the difference between all those other series and something like GS since the trademarks were all the same (Class 9). Mind you, a lot of those trademarks were filed about 10 years after they were previously filed in order to keep them. They weren't renewals but new trademarks because the old ones were due to expire.

Unrelated, but can I get a link to the site in the picture? What i've been going off from in regards to trademarks are Jplatpat and the other American trademark website.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
True but the trademark was still accepted by the original filing from 2018. The status of that one was "Registered and In Use" and was a new trademark, unrelated to any renewal. I'm just curious how we make the difference between all those other series and something like GS since the trademarks were all the same (Class 9). Mind you, a lot of those trademarks were filed about 10 years after they were previously filed in order to keep them. They weren't renewals but new trademarks because the old ones were due to expire.

Unrelated, but can I get a link to the site in the picture? What i've been going off from in regards to trademarks are Jplatpat and the other American trademark website.
This is the link https://www3.wipo.int/madrid/monitor/en/showData.jsp?ID=ROM.1436968 you click where it says "madrid monitor" at the top of the page and it should lead you to the search engine, which is kind of a pain to use lol.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
The Classic NES Series release happened in 2004, though Japan-only.
Seems weird to get a new TM for that and not, like, Wrecking Crew '98.

I'm just curious how we make the difference between all those other series and something like GS since the trademarks were all the same (Class 9) .
Same, but aside from being a fluent Japanese speaking fly on the right wall in Kyoto in Aug 2018... I don't know that we can.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Classic NES Series release happened in 2004, though Japan-only.
Japan get's all the good stuff lol! There was a SNES/SFC remake of the original NES/FC Legend of Zelda on the Satellaview we never got with full voice recordings back when that service was up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Same, but aside from being a fluent Japanese speaking fly on the right wall in Kyoto in Aug 2018... I don't know that we can.
I guess one way of looking at it is that the ones with new trademarks issued are the ones worth looking at VS the ones that just had pre-existing trademarks renewed. But even then, a TON of Nintendo franchises were issued new trademarks even the ones that Nintendo is most likely not touching again. And on top of that, most of them were issued those trademarks around the time their previous ones were set to expire.

The most notable examples of this are franchises trademarked around 2008-2010. Nintendo went on a big trademark spree in 2018 and the start of 2020 to have these trademarks updated with new ones and let the old ones expire. These include Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment, Endless Ocean, Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun/Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, & Kid Icarus. In that regard, I can't say I believe these trademarks have much to do with anything unless Nintendo is bringing all of these franchises back (even though I believe Golden Sun is coming back regardless of the trademark stuff).

And then there's other trademarks that were renewed out of the blue irrespective of any renewal or even an old trademark set to expire. The most notable examples of this being F-Zero, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Nintendogs, Pilotwings, hell even Disaster: Day of Crisis. It would be strange for Nintendo to trademark all these franchises without having any plans for them especially when they can just renew the trademarks they have in place. None of those franchises were due to have their trademarks expired so it's odd but I also don't believe that all of them are coming back. It's just interesting to note the difference between the above category.

Even more strange are the ones that outright didn't get a new trademark like Custom Robo. Unlike all the other franchises, CR only has it's pre-existing trademark from the early-2000's in place with no new trademark.

So yeah, sorry for the wall of text but yeah it's very tricky to see which ones are legit and which ones are just for safe-keeping. Still think GS is likely coming back sooner rather than later of course.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I guess one way of looking at it is that the ones with new trademarks issued are the ones worth looking at VS the ones that just had pre-existing trademarks renewed. But even then, a TON of Nintendo franchises were issued new trademarks even the ones that Nintendo is most likely not touching again. And on top of that, most of them were issued those trademarks around the time their previous ones were set to expire.

The most notable examples of this are franchises trademarked around 2008-2010. Nintendo went on a big trademark spree in 2018 and the start of 2020 to have these trademarks updated with new ones and let the old ones expire. These include Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment, Endless Ocean, Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun/Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, & Kid Icarus. In that regard, I can't say I believe these trademarks have much to do with anything unless Nintendo is bringing all of these franchises back (even though I believe Golden Sun is coming back regardless of the trademark stuff).
Punchout, Sin & Punishment, Endless Ocean, Style Savvy, Rhythym Heaven, Golden Sun and Kid Icarus are all series that have proven to be big hits at one point in their lifetime. All of these franchises are different genres and would increase the type of gameplay from Nintendo's developers.

And then there's other trademarks that were renewed out of the blue irrespective of any renewal or even an old trademark set to expire. The most notable examples of this being F-Zero, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Nintendogs, Pilotwings, hell even Disaster: Day of Crisis. It would be strange for Nintendo to trademark all these franchises without having any plans for them especially when they can just renew the trademarks they have in place. None of those franchises were due to have their trademarks expired so it's odd but I also don't believe that all of them are coming back. It's just interesting to note the difference between the above category.
F-Zero, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Nintendogs, Pilotwings, Disaster: Day of Crisis.
^ These franchises are the ones, besides Nintendogs, that have been out of the lime light for Nintendo consoles for a while. Elite Beat Agents is the only franchise among these that share a similar playstyle to Rhythm Heaven and even still the premise of the games are different.

Eternal Darkness and Disaster: Day of Crisis are the franchises to pay attention to as they contain elements that Nintendo hardly ever touches: Lovecraftin horror and shooter like mechanics (there exists Geist, but it seems Nintendo isn't interested in it).

Even more strange are the ones that outright didn't get a new trademark like Custom Robo. Unlike all the other franchises, CR only has it's pre-existing trademark from the early-2000's in place with no new trademark.
So yeah, sorry for the wall of text but yeah it's very tricky to see which ones are legit and which ones are just for safe-keeping. Still think GS is likely coming back sooner rather than later of course.
I am very concerned for Custom Robo's future due to Nintendo not renewing the franchise. It is among one of Nintendo's cult classics that does something the other series cannot do. A Mech battle arena fighter. That concept has endless potential and would be hectic fun on Nintendo Switch Online.

Hopefully each of these franchises is being revived by Nintendo as increasing popularity of existing franchises only helps Nintendo.

Unfortunately, Magical Starsign, does not seem to be returning which was one of my favorite lesser known Nintendo Franchises.

Last edited:

NNN

Smash Cadet
Punchout, Sin & Punishment, Endless Ocean, Style Savvy, Rhythym Heaven, Golden Sun and Kid Icarus are all series that have proven to be big hits at one point in their lifetime. All of these franchises are different genres and would increase the type of gameplay from Nintendo's developers.

F-Zero, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Eternal Darkness, Nintendogs, Pilotwings, Disaster: Day of Crisis.
^ These franchises are the ones, besides Nintendogs, that have been out of the lime light for Nintendo consoles for a while. Elite Beat Agents is the only franchise among these that share a similar playstyle to Rhythm Heaven and even still the premise of the games are different.

Eternal Darkness and Disaster: Day of Crisis are the franchises to pay attention to as they contain elements that Nintendo hardly ever touches: Lovecraftin horror and shooter like mechanics (there exists Geist, but it seems Nintendo isn't interested in it).

I am very concerned for Custom Robo's future due to Nintendo not renewing the franchise. It is among one of Nintendo's cult classics that does something the other series cannot do. A Mech battle arena fighter. That concept has endless potential and would be hectic fun Nintendo Switch Online.

Hopefully each of these franchises is being revived by Nintendo as increasing popularity of existing franchises only helps Nintendo.

Unfortunately, Magical Starsign, does not seem to be returning which was one of my favorite lesser known Nintendo Franchises.
Having Isaac and Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness in Smash would be a dream come true.

I have a question for you. Which one of these options would you choose?

1. Having Isaac 100% guaranteed in Smash 6, him being a nice, balanced character.
2. Having Isaac in Smash Ultimate as DLC, him being extremely overpowered, making the entire community hate him, like Bayo in Smash 4.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Having Isaac and Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness in Smash would be a dream come true.
That would be, but it is most important that these franchises do not die to time. Luckily those two same franchises have their licenses renewed and bring something to the Nintendo Franchise table that other series do not.

Kalaam

Smash Ace

1. Having Isaac 100% guaranteed in Smash 6, him being a nice, balanced character.
2. Having Isaac in Smash Ultimate as DLC, him being extremely overpowered, making the entire community hate him, like Bayo in Smash 4.
2. I don't care if everyone hates him xD They will either way.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Balanced, I don't want nerfs if I can avoid it lol. Plus the majority ends decently balanced in this game anyway. And you have Mkleo to make any character look broken as hell as it is so who cares lol

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

1. Alex is great and I've supporter her for awhile, so good on that.
2. Definitely the latter. This is his only chance to go up against this massive collection of gaming all stars. I don't want him to miss it. Bring on the haters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The first one, but it has nothing to do with balance. Couldn't care less about that. What I do care about is that he's in base game. Second option guarantees that he'll be DLC for this game but it says nothing about him coming back for Smash 6. If I have to choose between having him only as DLC or only as basegame, I'll pick base Smash 6. That way he gets to be in stuff like classic modes, and whatever story mode there is - basegame characters are included a lot more so they feel part of Smash more than DLC characters. Plus he'll get more playtime from me.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I liked the fat Persian guy and the firefighter you play as late in the game the most, tbh. Alex is cool too. Love to see sanity effects in Smash. But unlike Eternal Darkness, Golden Sun still has an active and prolific developer, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

And what kind of question is that? I'd take DLC 10000% make him busted af I'll be playing him every single day no questions asked, gloating the entire time. Then when anyone says "oh you just play him because he's op" I will push up my glasses, turn to them and say "well, actually, the fight against the Star Magician can be relatively controlled chaos if you prepare djinn to reclass, target down certain spheres and maintain a consistent rotation with your summons and psynergy. Start by..."

Did you guys see that they're putting out some June costumes in Aces? That scares me. Also Smash info this month. That also scares me.

Police actually scare me tho.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Did you guys see that they're putting out some June costumes in Aces? That scares me. Also Smash info this month. That also scares me.

Police actually scare me tho.
Interesting, so first Nate says that Mario golf (and wave race) "never had a chance" when someone asked him about it them, and now we see a mario tennis aces update…

Well that leaves only one game that could have been worked on for the past years by Camelot, as if we didn't know already from what I have heard + the whole trademark situation...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Did you guys see that they're putting out some June costumes in Aces? That scares me.
Are you implying that the only project Camelot has worked on all this time is minor updates for Mario Tennis?

Camelot is small, but its not THAT small.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Oh ? So Camelot is working on costumes in Aces? I can't think they only worked on this, from the time being..

They should have work on something else i'm sure !

And what is this thing about Smash news?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
These aren't new costumes. Just ones players are getting another chance to acquire. So don't worry.

Jibunzo

Smash Rookie
Oh ? So Camelot is working on costumes in Aces? I can't think they only worked on this, from the time being..

They should have work on something else i'm sure !

And what is this thing about Smash news?
The ARMS Character reveal and subsequent release is this month as per Sakurai, unless there is an unannounced delay. For this one especially, we have the possibility of seeing the first Assist Trophy DLC promotion, which could play a role in our outlook of getting Isaac playable in Smash. Whether or not this month's announcement ultimately matters for Golden Sun in Smash is debatable, but personally I just like looking for hope anywhere I can.

I yearn for a time in which I can appreciate Smash announcements without the specter of Isaac looming in the back of my mind. I know that problem is on me, but I can't help it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really hope Isaac get's promoted guys as well as Geno. I don't want you guys or the Geno fans to be left behind when us Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie fans finally got our characters. I want the "Big 5" to be complete in this game and I want us to have a victory party in the magical what if occasion if it happens.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Oh gosh it's already June it's true.. I totally forgot the Arms character is gonna be announced this month.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wonder if the reveal for the Arms character will happen around the time E3 would have happened.

I imagine we would have gotten news by now if the reveal had been delayed.

Hopefully the spirits deconfirm "rule" will be debunked this month if not the assist trophy one...

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well if it happens around the time E3 was planned...shouldn't this be next week or the monday after ?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Considering Isaac is a spirit, an AT, and a mii costume, there are 3 things that can be upgraded with Arms and all of them are good news for us, lol. And even if Arms doesn't do it, nothing says that Isaac can't be the first one to do it still when we see that new HD game.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about June 22 being the 2 year anniversary of Aces' release.

I checked the dates and there's only one time in Camelot's history that they have not released a game for two years. Frankly, I'm astonished at how prolific they have been for three decades now. Even now when games are more complicated, they're pretty much been reliably hitting 18 months on the dime, no matter the game.

Anyway, the time was from Mario Tennis Power Tennis for the GBA to We Love Golf for Capcom. That's also the only time in the last 20 years they've worked with anyone aside from Nintendo, so that alone could easily give you another 3 months of delay just from the politicking/deals by itself.

Anyway, it was 2 years, 3 months to the day for the record of the longest they've ever gone without releasing a new game.

In two weeks, it'll have been 2 years and not even a game announcement from them.

Just a bit of perspective.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I personally don't think who the Arms rep is going to have much bearing on Isaac's chances specifically and whether he gets in or not will be based on it's own isolated case but it'll be nice to have those annoying fanrules finally put to rest.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Considering Isaac is a spirit, an AT, and a mii costume, there are 3 things that can be upgraded with Arms and all of them are good news for us, lol. And even if Arms doesn't do it, nothing says that Isaac can't be the first one to do it still when we see that new HD game.
I don't feel like a spirit or mii costume being upgraded does a huge amount for Isaac. I feel like characters like Geno, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee would be the real winners coming out of that.

The only thing it really does for us is show the continuation of fan rules falling apart. (and yeah the fall of one fan rule doesn't mean the other one will also fall....but it's still a good direction to be moving in all the same)

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I personally don't think who the Arms rep is going to have much bearing on Isaac's chances specifically and whether he gets in or not will be based on it's own isolated case but it'll be nice to have those annoying fanrules finally put to rest.
This is exactly what I think. However, it would be nice for people to just shut up about Isaac being an AT. The overall discourse will be a lot healthier and more open to us all if the AT fan rule is officially put to bed.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah getting an HD/new game is more important and useful in Isaac's case than anything else happening in smash. But yeah I rather have the fan rules die already so it becomes a little easier to talk about it too.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Until an assist trophy gets upgraded, Isaac will always be dismissed in newcomer speculation because of this fan rule and it gets less people to support him who likely would otherwise. A game could be announced and people will still spout, 'Well he's still an assist trophy.' It's literally the one fan rule I want to see broken lol.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Until an assist trophy gets upgraded, Isaac will always be dismissed in newcomer speculation because of this fan rule and it gets less people to support him who likely would otherwise. A game could be announced and people will still spout, 'Well he's still an assist trophy.' It's literally the one fan rule I want to see broken lol.
I've heard that one too many times.
If an AT gets promoted, then the next popular fan rule would be "Indies will just be costumes and nothing more."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd argue differently.

Without evidence that ATs are no longer a death sentence, I'm just going to remain pessimistic on any AT's chances.

I do feel much better about spirits being promoted though.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I still think Isaac is a Super Saiyan...and a Jedi...and obviously an Earthbender...and a Shinobi/Ninja...and a Wizard...(and etc) Lol

Seriously though, we cannot give up on our Golden Boy. If it’s not Spring Man, do not fret. We still have the potential of getting Golden Sun back which in turn could help Isaac get in too. We got this Adepts!

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

I still think Isaac is a Super Saiyan...and a Jedi...and obviously an Earthbender...and a Shinobi/Ninja...and a Wizard...(and etc) Lol

Seriously though, we cannot give up on our Golden Boy. If it’s not Spring Man, do not fret. We still have the potential of getting Golden Sun back which in turn could help Isaac get in too. We got this Adepts!
I really love the Psynergy effect in this game. It's so pretty.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
If the AT fan rule finally breaks it would be a lot healthier yeah. But personally I don't feel our boy is gonna make it to the game.

And personally again, I would prefer a new game that seeing Isaac in smash. Of course if he comes in it would be the perfect combo but idk, I don't feel he will make it, I am way more confident about the new game.

Top Bottom