• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Oh yeah ! Iv'e visited the thread during August/September 2018 I think , I didn't remembered if I was in the list or not.
Then it’s settled! You are now officially an Adept! Welcome to the House of the Golden Sun!
Seriously though, glad to hear you had fun with the first game. The second gets crazier (in a good way)! :D

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
The trademark has been approved and officially published in the gazette for a while now. Only SG, IN and NZ mattered for getting it approved, since those are the regions for terms of usage. Only Indonesia is in progress for getting protection now, but that's a secondary region that isn't necessary for the main decision, which has been already made as I said. The trademark itself is more than approved by now. It's just a matter of waiting for the announcement of whatever it's gonna be at this point.
View attachment 269513
Is Grant of Protection the final stage?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Someone did it just recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/GoldenSun/...l_man_challenge_minimal_psynergy_no_djinn_or/
Note that the second djinn, a mercury one, comes automatically with Mia.
Then it’s settled! You are now officially an Adept! Welcome to the House of the Golden Sun!
Seriously though, glad to hear you had fun with the first game. The second gets crazier (in a good way)! :D
Oh yeah , I forgot that Mia comes with a djinn. I actually went to the Mercury lighthouse first , so Mia was a bit overleveled compared to my other characters lol.
And wow , grinding carefully sure help a lot. It's surprising that the game has a 99 level limit , I was able to beat the final boss when my team was slightly under lvl 30. Guess Camelot really wanted players to develop the strategy they wanted to use , and not be forced to hunt for djnns.

---

Thanks !
And yeah , TLA is such a big game lol , I admit that I almost got lost several times. iirc , I defeated Biggs to prove Pier's innoncence , went back to the town where he was locked up , and learned he went to Gondowan to get his orb back.
Also , funnily enough , the first character to die in my playthrough wasn't Sheba , it was Felix

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If Isaac got in, would he actually speak, or like the Heroes, just grunts and call out spell names?
Isaac will likely be silent like how he's depicted in his debut game unless his Smash reveal councides with a new remake of Golden Sun where Isaac talks and is fully voice acted then they'd use the voice actor that was hired in that project to do his Smash incarnation.

Otherwise Smash doesn't just hire people to do voices for characters. It's why Marth and Roy remained with their Japanese Vas until Yuri Lowenthal for Marth in Code Name Steam (which debuted after Smash 4) in 2015 and Ray Chase for Roy in Fire Emblem Heroes in 2017. This is why Ultimate uses these voices as they've been officially casted as the voice. Similarly since Ike also got a new VA in Heroes, instead of reusing Brawl voice recordings again, his voice was updated to Greg Chun.

Well before a nitpick Isaac won't be silent, he'll grunt and stuff, it'll just be done by the Japanese VA with no need for an English one to be hired unless there's an actual project in the works. Though if Isaac is voiced in English, that'd sure be a sign a game was on the way, like how Pit in Brawl debuted with a voice without a game (even if they didn't end up using the Brawl voice in the end).

I want Isaac voiced myself, I just know Smash won't go out of their way to hire someone solely for that.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Isaac will likely be silent like how he's depicted in his debut game unless his Smash reveal councides with a new remake of Golden Sun where Isaac talks and is fully voice acted then they'd use the voice actor that was hired in that project to do his Smash incarnation.

Otherwise Smash doesn't just hire people to do voices for characters. It's why Marth and Roy remained with their Japanese Vas until Yuri Lowenthal for Marth in Code Name Steam (which debuted after Smash 4) in 2015 and Ray Chase for Roy in Fire Emblem Heroes in 2017. This is why Ultimate uses these voices as they've been officially casted as the voice. Similarly since Ike also got a new VA in Heroes, instead of reusing Brawl voice recordings again, his voice was updated to Greg Chun.

Well before a nitpick Isaac won't be silent, he'll grunt and stuff, it'll just be done by the Japanese VA with no need for an English one to be hired unless there's an actual project in the works. Though if Isaac is voiced in English, that'd sure be a sign a game was on the way, like how Pit in Brawl debuted with a voice without a game (even if they didn't end up using the Brawl voice in the end).

I want Isaac voiced myself, I just know Smash won't go out of their way to hire someone solely for that.
That would be the worst outcome for me. I hate Isaac's Smash voice, it just sounds so wrong for him. He's like 17, not 13, lol. I just want him to have a clearly male voice.

Edit: Lol. I misunderstood what you said. I do want a new GS to give Isaac a voice, I just don't want it to be his current Smash voice.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Japanese voices for characters often tends to be higher pitched I feel. Like in FF7R, Cloud's JP voice is much higher than his French one (which is god tier btw).
I think if we get an english dub for him, his voice will be a bit deeper.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Japanese voices for characters often tends to be higher pitched I feel. Like in FF7R, Cloud's JP voice is much higher than his French one (which is god tier btw).
I think if we get an english dub for him, his voice will be a bit deeper.
In general they tend to be higher-pitched, but compare Cloud's Smash voice with Isaac's Smash voice. Cloud is higher than his English voice, but Isaac is literally voiced by a girl. His VA is great, but I don't want her as Isaac's voice. I don't even mind if it's just grunts/shouts, as long as it's a guy doing it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Is Grant of Protection the final stage?
Yeah, it's when the government has accepted the trademark and gives the trademark holder exclusive rights for that trademark for as long as the trademark lasts.
Yes and no. Grant of protection is something that needs to happen, yes, as you can see in the screenshot every region got it (except VN, but that doesn't matter), both the regions of terms of usage (SG, IN and NZ) and the rest of secondary regions (that i'm not really sure what are for, but are obviously not as important as the main 3), but the actual final stage is the fact that they published it on official gazette, which happened late in March (last thing in the list in that screenshot)

It's funny how this trademark went through 2 refusals but Nintendo kept asking for Period Extensions, they were not letting this one go no matter what lol. Most likely they had not enough to show or something to get the final approval, but now they finally did.

Friendly reminder once again for EVERYONE, that this is not a renewal, it's a new trademark separate from the STILL active ones of the original GS and DD that are being renewed on their own. They don't create a separate trademark to "renew" an old one, that's not a thing that even happens, it's silly to even think about it when that would mean they would waste extra money and trouble going through all the legal steps for nothing, for something they already have registered and they can just keep renewing as it is. Just so everyone knows how things actually work ;)

So yeah it's just a matter of when and not "if" anymore. Can't wait…

–––––––––––––––––––––

On the subject of Isaac's voice, I do agree and feel like they will use a bit stronger voice than the one we heard, but it's perfectly possible that they will use that one for the japanese one. We are most likely an english one anyway, we aren't getting another marth who speaks japanese while everyone in the roaster has been translated lol

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai decided to make Uprising because of how much he liked the Brawl redesign, but do we know if that idea was born after SSBB's release? It's possible that having an English voice in Brawl was a coincidence.

And speaking of this, we also have Ultimate Zelda with an English line in WoL, while keeping the JP voice in battles for some reason.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Sakurai decided to make Uprising because of how much he liked the Brawl redesign, but do we know if that idea was born after SSBB's release? It's possible that having an English voice in Brawl was a coincidence.

And speaking of this, we also have Ultimate Zelda with an English line in WoL, while keeping the JP voice in battles for some reason.
I used to have an old game informer magazine that talked about the production of Kid Icarus Rising but it's long gone now so I can't remember specifics lol. But it's pretty convenient Pit got an English VA and a game was set to come out in the future. I think an early trailer of KI:U even used the Brawl voice before it changed. I want to lean more towards the game being a known future project as I don't see why they would just dub Pit for Smash and leave Marth speaking Japanese despite Ike debuting from the same series and speaking English because he had a game already out and localized.

I didn't know that about Zelda. Likely cause the cutscene would be odd with an undubbed English Zelda, but because the character doesn't really talk in Smash they maybe didn't feel the need to dub over the battle voices? Or scheduling issues? Or not wanting to pay more money? Who knows lol. Smash is also a union project, it's what prevented Cloud's English VA (Steve Burton at the time) from being allowed to lend his voice for the character and I think why Palutena's KI:U English VA got replaced for her Smash debut.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I used to have an old game informer magazine that talked about the production of Kid Icarus Rising but it's long gone now so I can't remember specifics lol. But it's pretty convenient Pit got an English VA and a game was set to come out in the future. I think an early trailer of KI:U even used the Brawl voice before it changed. I want to lean more towards the game being a known future project as I don't see why they would just dub Pit for Smash and leave Marth speaking Japanese despite Ike debuting from the same series and speaking English because he had a game already out and localized.

I didn't know that about Zelda. Likely cause the cutscene would be odd with an undubbed English Zelda, but because the character doesn't really talk in Smash they maybe didn't feel the need to dub over the battle voices? Or scheduling issues? Or not wanting to pay more money? Who knows lol. Smash is also a union project, it's what prevented Cloud's English VA (Steve Burton at the time) from being allowed to lend his voice for the character and I think why Palutena's KI:U English VA got replaced for her Smash debut.
I forgot Cloud's voice is still in JP… hmm I guess Isaac could still be in JP then. Or maybe they will use one of the VAs used in Hero, since they are pretty talented (one of the voices iirc made Link or young Link's voice originally)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
IIRC Smash isn't union, but KI:U was, which is unusual for Nintendo. Steve Burton isn't used because his contract with Square Enix requires him to be credited as Cloud in the game's credits, but since Smash doesn't individually credit VAs he isn't used. I wouldn't mind Isaac only speaking grunts/shouts, it fits with the "silent protagonist" vibe since Hero shouts.

Edit: Let me clarify a bit more: union workers aren't allowed to work on non-union projects, which is why Palutena was recast and Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit's VA) and Viridi's VA aren't credited as themselves in the game.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I forgot Cloud's voice is still in JP… hmm I guess Isaac could still be in JP then. Or maybe they will use one of the VAs used in Hero, since they are pretty talented (one of the voices iirc made Link or young Link's voice originally)
DQ3's Hero was Ocarina of Time's older Link.
IIRC Smash isn't union, but KI:U was, which is unusual for Nintendo. Steve Burton isn't used because his contract with Square Enix requires him to be credited as Cloud in the game's credits, but since Smash doesn't individually credit VAs he isn't used. I wouldn't mind Isaac only speaking grunts/shouts, it fits with the "silent protagonist" vibe since Hero shouts.

Edit: Let me clarify a bit more: union workers aren't allowed to work on non-union projects, which is why Palutena was recast and Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit's VA) and Viridi's VA aren't credited as themselves in the game.
They changed Viridi's in Ultimate for the new Guidances.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Felt like sharing this here. Even tho the trademark thing was already finished with the three regions that mattered (SG, IN and NZ), one of the secondary regions to get protection and sent for official gazette publishing finally got it, it was Indonesia. There is, as of now, nothing left in process for the new trademark. Can't wait to see the announcement sometime this year if things don't get worse over Japan x_x …

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Felt like sharing this here. Even tho the trademark thing was already finished with the three regions that mattered (SG, IN and NZ), one of the secondary regions to get protection and sent for official gazette publishing finally got it, it was Indonesia. There is, as of now, nothing left in process for the new trademark. Can't wait to see the announcement sometime this year if things don't get worse over Japan x_x …
I'm curious, one of those listings is marked "refusal. What does that mean?

Why would it have been refused? What's up with New Zealand?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Oops sorry, I meant to say Smash isn't union, got myself mixed up there lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah Nintendo had to submit it several time in some countries before it go approved.
Yeah NoJ had to ask for extensions in order to keep having time to do whatever they had to do that they couldn't in those times. Breath of the Wild's trademark went through refusals as well ( I think one ) so it's a common thing since probably they have dates to ask for whatever info or proof to proceed forwards with the approval and the protections overall, and Nintendo or companies in general are not always that fast and ready to have what they need in time, hence why they ask for extensions of time.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah NoJ had to ask for extensions in order to keep having time to do whatever they had to do that they couldn't in those times. Breath of the Wild's trademark went through refusals as well ( I think one ) so it's a common thing since probably they have dates to ask for whatever info or proof to proceed forwards with the approval and the protections overall, and Nintendo or companies in general are not always that fast and ready to have what they need in time, hence why they ask for extensions of time.
Pretty sure it's Korea that refused. BotW was released in February of 2018 in here.
But anyways, why would people refuse the trademarks?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pretty sure it's Korea that refused. BotW was released in February of 2018 in here.
But anyways, why would people refuse the trademarks?
There has to be legal proceedures that need to get past without irregularity letters, and that was the problem. What exactly did Nintendo fail to show or give in order to get past examinations those times, I dunno, we don't get that in depth details of the process sadly, but we do know when an issue happens and when it doesn't, and finally it went through in March for the remaining region handling Terms of Use that had to get through. It can variate, it can be issues with the name itself, or the lack of a full name yet, or maybe just not showing you got a product yet to justify the trademark in the first place. Who knows. It's something that commonly happens so it's not something out of this world that should be worried about unless NoJ suddendly stopped asking for the extensions and gave up on it (which I have not seen happen to be honest). It doesn't matter anymore anyway, it got approved and published in official gazette, now we wait for whenever the announcement of what they have in store happens. My logic would say they will announce it as soon as possible to not waste too much time of the trademark's lifetime, after all it means money and renewing trademarks is even more expensive than registering them for the first time, so they definitely won't be holding off the announcement of whatever GS game they have to show us lol. Hopefully the pandemic doesn't delay the announcement past this year, which I doubt will happen cause it's not like they aren't working at all and it's been years since Camelot has been working on their next game already anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I liked it when Karin was Palutena. :)

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
It's been a little while since I popped by, so I'm sure other people have already shared similar thoughts, but the Arms character announcement has me feeling pretty good about Isaac! Even if Spring Man doesn't end up being the character/one of the costumes, the fact that they didn't mention him being an AT and had him in the screen of possible Arms characters seems like a good sign to me. I know they showed the whole Arms roster, but they could've said "Spring Man is an Assist Trophy, so the next fighter will be one of these 14!" or something! The fact that they didn't could be good.

Also, opening the second Pass with Arms could suggest that they might be going for fewer huge third-party additions, so maybe more first-party characters like Isaac will jump in! Here's hoping!

Steve Burton isn't used because his contract with Square Enix requires him to be credited as Cloud in the game's credits, but since Smash doesn't individually credit VAs he isn't used.
Out of curiosity, do you know if the new voice actor's contract is any different? The FF7 remake uses a new voice actor for Cloud, so I'm a little curious if there's any chance his voice could be patched in. Seems like a lot of extra effort, so I kind of doubt it even if the contract is different, but I'm curious!

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, do you know if the new voice actor's contract is any different? The FF7 remake uses a new voice actor for Cloud, so I'm a little curious if there's any chance his voice could be patched in. Seems like a lot of extra effort, so I kind of doubt it even if the contract is different, but I'm curious!
I don't know, to be honest. If that specific clause isn't in the new VA's contract, they could potentially patch him in, but that's unlikely given they didn't patch in English voices for Marth and Roy when they got official English VAs in 2015. Maybe the next Smash game with Cloud will give him this new voice.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
If Golden Sun is really going to be revealed, it is sad that it won't be in E3 due to corona but in a regular direct. The impact will probably be the same, but I expect less people to watch? I hope this won't be an issue though!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
If Golden Sun is really going to be revealed, it is sad that it won't be in E3 due to corona but in a regular direct. The impact will probably be the same, but I expect less people to watch? I hope this won't be an issue though!
If it's this year what I'll be really sad about is the lack of a Nintendo New York reaction. That said, I think it might be next year that we see Golden Sun, given it's the 20th anniversary and what I've heard doesn't point towards GS this year.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If it's this year what I'll be really sad about is the lack of a Nintendo New York reaction. That said, I think it might be next year that we see Golden Sun, given it's the 20th anniversary and what I've heard doesn't point towards GS this year.
Those were the best.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The reactions overall are definitely what I look forward the most right now, it's going to be insane once it happens…

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The reaction won't be as spectacular as Sans, not because Golden Sun is less well-known, but because that reaction video featured a lot of physical contact.

Top Bottom