• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
What am afraid of, is that we get a remake of the original Golden Sun, and after that nothing. Not even The Lost Age..... Or that we get the one remake of both The Broken Seal and The Lost Age, and after that nothing
I feel like this situation is more likely than we realize, honestly. It’s entirely possible that we get amazing remakes of the first two games and maybe Isaac in Smash with a Felix alt as a “last hurrah” for the series. The first two games have a pretty satisfying ending, so continuing wouldn’t be necessary if they didn’t want to.

Who knows, though. it’s also possible it sells super well and Nintendo wants to push it, getting other studios to help make future games. It’s rare for Nintendo to get a new successful IP they can use. Well, Golden Sun isn’t “new” but it might as well be if they’re doing remakes.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I feel like this situation is more likely than we realize, honestly. It’s entirely possible that we get amazing remakes of the first two games and maybe Isaac in Smash with a Felix alt as a “last hurrah” for the series. The first two games have a pretty satisfying ending, so continuing wouldn’t be necessary if they didn’t want to.

Who knows, though. it’s also possible it sells super well and Nintendo wants to push it, getting other studios to help make future games. It’s rare for Nintendo to get a new successful IP they can use. Well, Golden Sun isn’t “new” but it might as well be if they’re doing remakes.
Yeah I'm thinking it's all depending on sales whether the series will carry on from there or not, with the right push it could hopefully reach a million at least. If new IPs like Astral Chain and Octopath Traveller were able to get that done then Golden Sun which has a very passionate fanbase on a system that's in its prime at the moment has a solid shot. Also it would depend on whether the Takahashi brothers still have a desire to continue off Dark Dawn's story or if a potential remake would be treated as a reboot and retcon Dark Dawn and go in for a revamped Lost Age follow up. I really hope they continue Dark Dawn's story because it set up some really cool ideas

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I do think they'd take critics into account, they did from Beyond the Beyond and it gave Golden Sun.
Nowadays stuff like an in-game codex etc are a staple (just look at doom eternal, the game has a super deep lore and it doesn't bother the gameplay because of those codex entries), and games like Bravely Default, Octopath etc showed other ways to balance the difficulty of a JRPG. It's a bit harder in golden sun since the djinns are optionnals are have a *huge* multiplier to your overall power. Having ennemy scale with your djinns might be a solution, but it would feel kinda cheap. I suppose using it to an extent might work, for fine tuning, but it's the whole way bosses are planned that has to be worked on. Mechanically, i mean.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I do not like Crash I do not think he's a good character I do not want him in Smash Bros.

/r/smashbros did a better prank. Fire Emblem is over-saturation is still funny. Crash does not deserve attention.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
CrashBoards is pretty funny for today, I wasn't expecting that haha.

In regards to the series, I think the best option would be for TBS and TLA to be remade as one game as originally intended, with a remaster of Dark Dawn fixing some of the issues (specifically the points of no return). Coinciding with the 1+2 remakes, Isaac would be added to Smash. If the games sell well enough, the series would continue for at least one more game, if not, it would be a last hurrah for the series as a whole.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well, Golden Sun, as well as series like Advance Wars/Sin & Punishment & F-Zero just got some major shout-outs thanks to this video!

A good list of games there. I'd probably add Eternal Darkness and Chibi Robo (the gamecube style) to that list as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Golden Sun has a solid battle system, and unique RPG gameplay compared to Nintendo's own most successful RPGs as for example Pokémon and Fire Emblem. Am just not sure if there's enough warrant to keep the franchise going after a very ambitious remake of the first two games..and then again, am not even sure IF that's what's gonna happen. Combining the first two games is a huge project. I'd sooner expect less content in this remake than more to be honest. Parts of the story might be cut off for example.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Golden Sun has a solid battle system, and unique RPG gameplay compared to Nintendo's own most successful RPGs as for example Pokémon and Fire Emblem. Am just not sure if there's enough warrant to keep the franchise going after a very ambitious remake of the first two games..and then again, am not even sure IF that's what's gonna happen. Combining the first two games is a huge project. I'd sooner expect less content in this remake than more to be honest. Parts of the story might be cut off for example.
Not to mention Nintendo owns it, as opposed to other traditional JRPG's on the Switch. Pushing GS. would be a gold mine, not to mention I think the internet would explode because of the announcement. They have the market, the fanbase, and, most importantly, a fresh trademark. It's all coming together.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And going on again, what if this new game we're probably getting is a total retelling of the original story? A total retcon of the original game? Or it takes place on a totally new continent instead of Angara but with the same Psynergy and Djinn for the most part, but totally different Adepts and story? And what if the lead character of this new Golden Sun becomes playable ?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Something like a reboot ? Kinda like Xenoblade 2? It could work I guess, giving hints and references to the previous games.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, I'd be incredibly disappointed if the Golden Sun character that joins Smash isn't Isaac. He's the character I've rallied behind and he deserves it a ton more than any new character could. I'd love a new game no matter what they do with it, but it would be wrong if it wasn't Isaac that finally joined the battle.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'll be honest, I'd be incredibly disappointed if the Golden Sun character that joins Smash isn't Isaac. He's the character I've rallied behind and he deserves it a ton more than any new character could. I'd love a new game no matter what they do with it, but it would be wrong if it wasn't Isaac that finally joined the battle.
I'm pretty sure he would be the one anyway. It's their IP and they know who people are asking the most so there is really no reason for Nintendo to put anybody else unless they are alts of Isaac ofc.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

One of my favorite things about Garu Plains is the scenery. It works well for Isaac here as I can picture him traveling Weyard like this.

——————————————————————

With what we know:

•Nintendo is now fully aware of the demand for Isaac since Nov 2018 (if they didn’t know since then). You could add that the letters we sent at the end of Jan 2019 helped, but that’s wishful thinking for now.

•Golden Sun is returning soon thanks to our knowledge of the new trademark & no word from Camelot about their next game which is unusual.

•Same can be applied to Motoi Sakuraba (Though it could also mean he’s working on Tales of music too).

•Smash tends to promote games through the characters they put in. Isaac would easily do that for Golden Sun.

•Fighter Pass 2 is a special occasion. Budget was a problem during the first; meaning there might not be as many 3rd party characters this time around as 1st Party would be much cheaper to use. Isaac is technically 1st Party.

•With FP6 being a character from ARMS while showing a list that includes Spring Man, this could be great news for Isaac.

Pretty sure I missed some stuff to add here. Believe it or not, I’m cautiously optimistic about all of this, but I cannot dent what we all have here. So right now, all I can say is:
39839243-CAA2-4097-8088-B6C79F2090E2.gif

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
A couple things to add to your post, Sonic. Excellent summary of what we know and what it could imply. Isaac straight up is first-party, despite being developed by Camelot, Nintendo fully owns the trademarks and rights to the series and its characters. The next Tales game is Tales of Arise scheduled for this year, but I can't find if Sakuraba is working on that one. Wikipedia doesn't list it as one of his games, but he has worked on multiple games at a time. No matter what, the trademark is the biggest piece of legitimate evidence we have. The other stuff is either educated speculation or circumstantial evidence, but the trademark stuff is real and basically enough on its own to convince me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Is it a guarantee that this trademark means something is coming for Golden Sun?

If there was going to be a "Gameboy Advance Collection" released on the Switch that had a collection of Gameboy Advance games (like a virtual console collection) would that be a reason for this trademark?

Or if they were releasing a "Gameboy Advance Mini" that included the GBA Golden Sun games?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Also, even if Spring Man doesn't get in, unless Sakurai says it's because he's an AT, Isaac still has a chance.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman

If there was going to be a "Gameboy Advance Collection" released on the Switch that had a collection of Gameboy Advance games (like a virtual console collection) would that be a reason for this trademark?

Or if they were releasing a "Gameboy Advance Mini" that included the GBA Golden Sun games?
I can’t speak for whether or not that would need a trademark, but I think they’d do GB/GBC first before doing GBA.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

This trademark would be needed if they were going to market a game with the Golden Sun name at all. I think that would include rereleases like the Virtual Console, but we haven't seen any other GBA franchises like Mario Advance or Advance Wars get trademark updates like Golden Sun. I think we can safely assume this is for a Golden Sun project, not a collection.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
inb4 the trademark is for a Golden Sun easter egg in XBCDE.

Jokes aside, that is an interesting topic. If you could have a Golden Sun crossover with any other Nintendo franchise, what would it be? Could be non-Nintendo too if you want, seeing how tokyo mirage fe is a thing.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

Jokes aside, that is an interesting topic. If you could have a Golden Sun crossover with any other Nintendo franchise, what would it be? Could be non-Nintendo too if you want, seeing how tokyo mirage fe is a thing.
I think the best fit would be Fire Emblem, given the medieval/fantasy setting both games have and the combination of swordplay and magic.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Probably would work with any series with a medieval fantasy setting. Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem definitely come to mind. Zelda would be especially interesting due to how much fans love the puzzle solving aspect of both series

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've always maintained that if Zelda were a traditional RPG, it'd be a lot like Golden Sun.

So obviously my answer is

F-ZERO

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I think even if this Golden Sun game sported a brand new character completely separate from Isaac and co. It would still be Isaac to make the Smash debut. Just like how Xenoblade Chronicles X in the works didn't make Elma take the Smash debut over Shulk (who later gets his game ported to New 3DS anyways).

And even if say this new Golden sun person got in over Isaac. I'd still want Isaac lol. Just as I'm sure people would still be asking for Shulk had Elma made it in over him. Fire Emblem has already added it's face of the franchise in Marth. And Dragon Quest debut wasn't just DQ11 protag, but four alts of various heroes across the franchise.

Nintendo already seems surprised about Isaac's popularity to the point it's already hard enough getting even him recognized for Smash. If Isaac is a literal who, this new character would be that times ten. And personally I feel like all the Smash reactions would be completely soulless and non hype and get a bunch of hate and have people wondering why it wasn't Isaac and would honestly suck to see Golden Sun finally get a character but hated cause it's some new blank slate of a character no one knows and has an attachment too.

I feel like Nintendo would sooner add another Fire Emblem or Pokemon character than take a chance on adding a new Golden Sun protag who won't even have the popularity of Isaac and the Takahashi brothers are already taxed working their current rpg storyline with Isaac and his son and even asked to give them time to work on storyboarding. I'm sure they could tie in a new protagonist into the story of Golden Sun 4, of course the development schedule is already irregular and not consistent enough. And most of us expect remakes more likely rather than a continuation of Dark Dawn.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

*Doom and gloom activated*

This is a very realistic scenario as well honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if it came to this. Then again, we should be honoured if Golden Sun becomes part of a collection of GBA games. I'd take it, with a lot of disappointment, but I'd take it

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Like others answered, Fire Emblem is indeed a good answer. I'm especially surprised Fire Emblem Heroes didn't make a single one cross-over with other Nintendo properties.

Another answer could be "any successful mobile game". Dragalia Lost comes to mind, since they already had cross-over with Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem and Megaman. Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which I play, would certainly works too. FF Brave Exvius too probably. And Puzzle & Dragons did a lot of cross-over too.

Last but not least, there is also one game nobody talked for a cross-over : Smash Bros.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Aside from smash bros, a Zelda crossover would work well thematically with the puzzles and all. I don't really see it happening, since Zelda has very few crossovers (though we had Crypt of the Necrodancer, and a Link model in TLA so.... why not?) most likely would be Fire Emblem I assume. I don't know how they do it though. An event in Heroes, or something in a future FE game with secret event characters/maps in some updates (could happen in 3H too, event maps with special units or items. imagine a challenging map with environnmental puzzles against units based on the Mortal Savant class with different tweaks. Reward being the Sword of the Sun or something, which casts Ragnarok when used to attack at range.)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pretty sure if the trademark was for a crossover game, it wouldn't be called just "Golden Sun" lol. They would have needed to trademark the actual name of the crossover. So yeah… that's off the table. And I'm glad cause I want something purely GS.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Pretty sure if the trademark was for a crossover game, it wouldn't be called just "Golden Sun" lol. They would have needed to trademark the actual name of the crossover. So yeah… that's off the table. And I'm glad cause I want something purely GS.
Crossovers will come later, once Golden Sun is on the forefront again !
What if it's Golden Sun Wahrriors tho....?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Crossovers will come later, once Golden Sun is on the forefront again !
What if it's Golden Sun Wahrriors tho....?
I would LOVE a Golden Sun Warriors game if they ever made one. Imagine all the awesome psynergy attacks you’d use and more!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A Golden Sun Warriors game would make me feel incredibly conflicted because I didn't like the one Warriors game I played back on the PS2 and haven't gone near the series since.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the Warriors series certainly lacks especially deep gameplay, but it's decent mindless fun and it would be neat to see the Psynergy realized to scale on the battlefield bowling over dozens of enemies. It might not be super complex but it would definitely be a visual spectacle.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Warriors games are a ton of dumb fun and I'd love to see Golden Sun characters and techniques used to just murder thousands at a time. Can you imagine Ragnarok just slamming into the ground like the moon in Hyrule Warriors or summoning Judgement to wipe out hundreds?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A Golden Sun Warriors game would make me feel incredibly conflicted because I didn't like the one Warriors game I played back on the PS2 and haven't gone near the series since.
I'd say the genre has grown in that time, if only in the "make you feel cooler about this mindless buttonmashing" aspect. Graphics are also better, and in that kind of game it makes a big difference.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Warriors game are a power-trip. It's good to let out some steam and just enjoy being super-powered.

Top Bottom