• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Nah the ARMS character clearly was meant as first, at most second. They started working on the characters month ago, the pandemic really has been kicking for about 2 or 3 weeks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I saw people on Reddit saying that that weird announcement of a first party was made because the Covid stopped their plan for an eventual third party character as the first character of the pass, therefore forcing them to move ARMS in the first spot, and moving the third parties at later spots. What do you think of that?

For myself, I don't know. Isn't it somewhat like "earthquake theory"? They weren't forced to show anything to use, they perfectly were able to wait even more to keep the character order they were planning.
Fighters take enough development time for them to have started making Spring Man/whoever before the Coronavirus outbreak.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I saw people on Reddit saying that that weird announcement of a first party was made because the Covid stopped their plan for an eventual third party character as the first character of the pass, therefore forcing them to move ARMS in the first spot, and moving the third parties at later spots. What do you think of that?

For myself, I don't know. Isn't it somewhat like "earthquake theory"? They weren't forced to show anything to use, they perfectly were able to wait even more to keep the character order they were planning.
The first character of the pass would've been started long before Covid prevented work from being done, that's not really a theory worth holding on to.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
All fair. I will say, the protagonist first pattern kind of helps us since let's be real, if any character were to be added from Golden Sun, it would be Isaac. To be fair, RPGs and fighting games are, as you said, different in terms of "protagonists" and their character roster. I still believe it will be Spring Man, but the fact that it could be someone else is exciting.
I do lean more towards Spring Man being the 'protagonist' character because he was chosen to rep the assist. In the end Sakurai was more about trying to rep as many franchises as he could base game. He's stated he doesn't plan with DLC in mind and thus doesn't hold back a character for that reason. So I'd find it really silly that characters simply repping their series in Smash through assist like Spring Man and Isaac are punished for a decision made years ago. The intent wasn't to make them an assist to be deconfirmed and out of the way so a new fighter from the franchise has to be anyone but them. I get that ARMS has more popular characters that may be used instead but in Golden Sun's case no one comes close to Isaac's popularity.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
20200327_081722.jpg

This might be a stretch, but back in November of 2018 to June 2019, there was this tournament to determine the 'ultimate' victor.
And guess who won? Min Min.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Yeah a lot of people think Min Min will be picked. And she could I guess. I think we'll get a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, and if so, she'll be one of the costumes.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
There's a far better chance that the original 6 was actually pushed back for marketing reasons rather than pandemic reasons...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Min Min getting in will still kill the "no spirit promotions" fanrule, so that will still be a small win for us. Still I think Isaac will be his own case in whether he gets picked or not without any bearing from whoever the Arms rep is.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Min Min getting in will still kill the "no spirit promotions" fanrule, so that will still be a small win for us. Still I think Isaac will be his own case in whether he gets picked or not without any bearing from whoever the Arms rep is.
If that happens, that's a big win for Rex fans.
He was also considered but missed the timing. Min Min getting in kills the no spirit rule, so there's a bigger chance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think getting Min Min over Spring-Man would be like getting Chun Li over Ryu, but it's certainly not impossible.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Not seeing Mario Golf is really, really good at this point. Aces was announced at a mini direct and this would’ve been the perfect time to do the same, yet we saw nothing. It’s been well over two years since Aces was announced. Plus, with the assets from Aces, Golf really shouldn’t be taking this long. Combined with the trademark...

Things are looking good. Let the sun rise.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not seeing Mario Golf is really, really good at this point. Aces was announced at a mini direct and this would’ve been the perfect time to do the same, yet we saw nothing. It’s been well over two years since Aces was announced. Plus, with the assets from Aces, Golf really shouldn’t be taking this long. Combined with the trademark...

Oh dont worry we got golf already anyway… in clubhouse games:51 :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Maybe. But no matter what the game is, it is entirely possible Nintendo is now sitting on titles initially planned for spring and summer should they need to fill in gaps later in the year depending on whether the current situation is affecting the development of their intended holiday titles, which are, presumably, further away from completion and likelier to run into delays thanks to coronavirus.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Don't mind me I just made our celebration meme in advance (for whenever we get the game announcement, or isaac… or both!)
View attachment 267216
Yeah uh I think we need to acknowledge this a bit more. I've seen a lot of mind-blowing Golden Sun fanart over the years, but this is so staggeringly good in concept and execution. It needs attention and praise.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah uh I think we need to acknowledge this a bit more. I've seen a lot of mind-blowing Golden Sun fanart over the years, but this is so staggeringly good in concept and execution. It needs attention and praise.
I cant take much credit as this is originally a meme of ky from guilty gear when arcsys announced they were adding rollback netcode on their twitter recently lol. I just tried to make it look near identical.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
We'll certainly make sure it becomes widespread once we get some good official news from Nintendo. Social media hype is going to do a lot of favors for a Golden Sun revival and I'll try to make sure that it makes an impact

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I agree, Mario Golf not showing up is really good for us. Combine that with the New Zealand trademark and I have high hopes for E3.

Just a quick thing I noticed while browsing Golden Sun Universe: several Spirit events have included GS characters, but one of them, "Smash by the Sword" (from last November) included Matthew, but not Felix or Isaac, even though those two also use swords as their main weapon. Just a strange thing I noticed.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
I agree, Mario Golf not showing up is really good for us. Combine that with the New Zealand trademark and I have high hopes for E3.
E3? I believe it got cancelled? But I expect a direct to make the announcement of the new games probably.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
E3? I believe it got cancelled? But I expect a direct to make the announcement of the new games probably.
It's been long confirmed that the companies are all making their digital presentations. Nintendo has always done that so it's not gonna be a new thing for them lol

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So I saw this posted on Reddit. Apparently the guy who leaked the mini direct happening yesterday is saying to expect Nintendo to rely on remasters more in 2020 than they have ever before.

Now remaster is not the same as remake, but still I can't help but think about the possibility of Golden Sun being one of those games. Could be just like the Zelda HD remasters, or the rumored Paper Mario game, or something else entirely, but dang, with the trademark stuff going on with Golden Sun I just can't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe it could actually happen? Someone pinch me so I snap out of it. lol

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah a lot of people think Min Min will be picked. And she could I guess. I think we'll get a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, and if so, she'll be one of the costumes.
Yeah, I keep leaning towards the latter possibility, really (The Hero/Bowser Jr. and Koopalings idea).

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm on my way to Lama Temple now. Been building up a decent amount of Djin. I like the give and take nature of combining them and how you need to find good combinations.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I saw this posted on Reddit. Apparently the guy who leaked the mini direct happening yesterday is saying to expect Nintendo to rely on remasters more in 2020 than they have ever before.

Now remaster is not the same as remake, but still I can't help but think about the possibility of Golden Sun being one of those games. Could be just like the Zelda HD remasters, or the rumored Paper Mario game, or something else entirely, but dang, with the trademark stuff going on with Golden Sun I just can't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe it could actually happen? Someone pinch me so I snap out of it. lol
Yeah the man has some strong credibility now. It does help that he has heard about such goal that Nintendo has regarding old games, not just the other insiders whose credibility are not so good anymore. He is probably our best bet now for hearing info like this.

There is a HUGE chance that Golden Sun might very well be one of those insane reveals to come, after all the trademark just got approved at long last, so it's just a matter of time for it to be announced at some point in 2020, most likely sooner than later considering they wouldn't want to waste life time of the trademark doing nothing yet. Hoping the announcement comes sooner than later, but it will happen whenever it can.

Other strongly rumored games are indeed Paper mario, and also a 2D Metroid that is somewhat connected to Fusion. Honestly I feel like in some perspective this year will be huge as 2017 but in a different way. Here I am also praying for Zelda HD games and maybe at least a new trailer of BOTW2 that at least has a release window for either this holiday or next year lol.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I’m still clinging onto hope that if Golden Sun is announced in the next Direct, Isaac in Smash also follows. It would be the perfect opportunity to do so. Nervous and excited at the same time.
Plus, they could add Felix and Matthew as alts for Isaac if they wanted to. Especially since the possibility of 4-8 different alts for the ARMS character comes true.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Well, not showing a new Mario Golf in the last direct gives a bit of hope. Let's see if we can continue dreaming. Also, Springman being plausible now it's even better for AT characters (please Sakurai...).

Btw, about the trademark thing, did you tried to search for the others IPs they were applied in the same time of the GS trademark? If they were only requested in japan, but no international, it would be a very good sign. If they were international... idk.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Nintendo is still having their video presentation as will every other company, so I still refer to the June information dump as "E3" mostly out of habit.

Edit to avoid double posting:
Hydewell Hydewell I checked both "Wrecking Crew" and "Mario Sluggers", two trademarks that were also filed with Golden Sun in 2018 in Japan, on New Zealand's trademark search, and got no results. This means that Golden Sun was the only trademark of those four to receive international applications as well. That's huge! I also found this line as I was browsing the current, accepted GS trademark from NZ:
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.33.52 PM.png

Check what it says next to "Statement of Use". "The mark is being used or proposed to be used". A new Golden Sun is on the way, whether it be a rerelease, remaster, remake, new game, whatever, new Golden Sun is coming.

Once again, I'm placing my bets on the June Direct (E3) for some Golden Sun-related news and a gam announcement. I've never been more sure of this.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo is still having their video presentation as will every other company, so I still refer to the June information dump as "E3" mostly out of habit.

Edit to avoid double posting:
Hydewell Hydewell I checked both "Wrecking Crew" and "Mario Sluggers", two trademarks that were also filed with Golden Sun in 2018 in Japan, on New Zealand's trademark search, and got no results. This means that Golden Sun was the only trademark of those four to receive international applications as well. That's huge! I also found this line as I was browsing the current, accepted GS trademark from NZ:
View attachment 267516
Check what it says next to "Statement of Use". "The mark is being used or proposed to be used". A new Golden Sun is on the way, whether it be a rerelease, remaster, remake, new game, whatever, new Golden Sun is coming.

Once again, I'm placing my bets on the June Direct (E3) for some Golden Sun-related news and a gam announcement. I've never been more sure of this.
Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible that the trademark is just for a new logo for the series?

That would still point to a new release, but it could also just be that they made a new logo to debut with Isaac's Smash announcement.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible that the trademark is just for a new logo for the series?

That would still point to a new release, but it could also just be that they made a new logo to debut with Isaac's Smash announcement.
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 5.18.33 PM.png

No sign of how the actual logo looks like as far as I'm aware. Just the name. And it's a Class 9 which covers everything related to the creation of a new game and all the possible software and hardware contents on the creation of what they are making. It's 100% not just a logo safe to say. In fact I'm curious to how the logo will even look like but I guess we will know only on the fated day heh. Of course whatever they are making game-wise might have a logo perfect for isaac in smash at the same time, If I had to bet.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
So that's what "name has no meaning meant", means that it's not intended to be translated. That's probably also why in Dark Dawn's first trademark there was no subtitle, that part is meant to be translated.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So that's what "name has no meaning meant", means that it's not intended to be translated. That's probably also why in Dark Dawn's first trademark there was no subtitle, that part is meant to be translated.
Oh that's how it was for Dark Dawn? interesting indeed

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I can’t believe i’m saying this, but if Spring Man ends up being part of the Arms character somehow, which I think is possible if they pull a Hero-type deal, Isaac may be right back on the table and maybe even with a significant chance with the prospect of being a “shill pick” for a new Golden sun remake announcement.

I am rooting for you guys, hard. That’d be the best shill pick ever.

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
This Trademark just keeps getting more and more interesting. It’s exciting!
Indeed.

As I have some extra money saved up, I am prepared to, when the next Golden Sun game/remake comes out, personally go out and get an extra copy for one of my friends with a switch.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Oh that's how it was for Dark Dawn? interesting indeed
It assume it was.
If you look up the trademarks for golden sun, you see one in 2009 that is just named "Golden Sun". And has the same categories as dark dawn.
That was probably the project name before the official title was revealed. We're likely to have a similar situation here, and we could get a second version of the trademark that pops up once the title is announced, with a subtitle. So either for a sequel, or if they add a subtitle to the remake "Golden Sun: The Broken Seal" for example.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I can’t believe i’m saying this, but if Spring Man ends up being part of the Arms character somehow, which I think is possible if they pull a Hero-type deal, Isaac may be right back on the table and maybe even with a significant chance with the prospect of being a “shill pick” for a new Golden sun remake announcement.

I am rooting for you guys, hard. That’d be the best shill pick ever.
Isaac just might end up being the embodiment of the *teleports behind you* meme.

Last edited:
Top Bottom