• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Just realized that a pretty large youtuber I’ve been watching for a couple years now regularly uses Golden Sun music in the background of their videos. It’s one of those things that show Golden Sun is still remembered fondly by a lot of people, even if it isn’t the most talked about video game nowadays.

It’s Pimpnite if you’re wondering by the way.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
There is a rather big french smashtuber who also regularly used golden sun musics in his videos. He kinda took some distances from the game now though.
Name's Radiance Dawn if you want to check his work.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Golden Sun is so atmospheric I'm surprised more YouTubers don't use it in the background. Especially stuff like Elemental Stars and the forest track, it's all so well-written and composed.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The music being as good as it is on a system like the GBA which is nototorious for its weaker soundfont is one of the more impressive feats of the game

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Since we're talking about music, what are your top 3 musics in GS overall?
Mine is:
3. Apollo Sanctum
2. Isaac's theme
1. Venus Lighthouse

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The music being as good as it is on a system like the GBA which is nototorious for its weaker soundfont is one of the more impressive feats of the game
Do people think that? I adore the GBA's soundfont, I think it's honestly the best of any handheld.

As for my top three GS songs:
3. Battle! (Isaac)
2. Battle! (Felix)
1. Venus Lighthouse

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Though it isn't quite as, erm, energizing as some of the other themes in the series, I do quite like "Apollo Ascent" from Dark Dawn.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Posting the news here for you guys.

Smash Lord
Posting the news here for you guys.
My main takeaway from this is that the fighter will be revealed in the next direct but the situation with the virus is most likely going to postpone the release of the character and the individual presentations they usually get

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I always love Golden Sun memes, as well as the fact there is a Djinn literally called Salt.

She's the best waifu
I know this is kind of off-topic, but with the prevalence of the “waifu” movement that is currently common compared to the early 2000’s when the two GS games were released, I wonder how many newcomers to the franchise would claim Mia and Jenna as their waifu, should remakes to the first two games hypothetically be a thing?

Mine is:
3. Apollo Sanctum
2. Isaac's theme
1. Venus Lighthouse
Venus Lighthouse, Isaac’s Theme and Jenna’s Theme.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I always love Golden Sun memes, as well as the fact there is a Djinn literally called Salt.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but with the prevalence of the “waifu” movement that is currently common compared to the early 2000’s when the two GS games were released, I wonder how many newcomers to the franchise would claim Mia and Jenna as their waifu, should remakes to the first two games hypothetically be a thing?
You know the FE stans will be all over Sheba because they do love their loli deitic girls.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me who feels that, in Smash Ultimate, the smash dev team didn't really want to add many new Nintendo franchises to the playable roster?

We only got Splatoon as a new playable first-party series, right?

Other than that, series or games like Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Advance/Nintendo Wars, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, and even newer series or games like ARMS appeared to get shafted in the playable character department.

Meanwhile, third-party series such as Persona and Castlevania are being repped with one (or two-ish characters, in Castlevania's case).

Now, representing some series, such as Dragon Quest or Banjo-Kazooie make sense, due to their great impact on either the Nintendo or overall gaming community.

But, dang, does it sometimes feel bad to see classic Nintendo series, like Golden Sun, nigh-constantly get overlooked in favor of some flashy and shiny third party, which sometimes may not even really have much of a connection to Nintendo at all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is it just me who feels that, in Smash Ultimate, the smash dev team didn't really want to add many new Nintendo franchises to the playable roster?

Other than that, series or games like Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Advance/Nintendo Wars, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, and even newer series or games like ARMS appeared to get shafted in the playable character department.

Meanwhile, third-party series such as Persona and Castlevania are being repped with one (or two-ish characters, in Castlevania's case).

Now, representing some series, such as Dragon Quest or Banjo-Kazooie make sense, due to their great impact on either the Nintendo or overall gaming community.

But, dang, does it sometimes feel bad to see classic Nintendo series, like Golden Sun, nigh-constantly get overlooked in favor of some flashy and shiny third party, which sometimes may not even really have much of a connection to Nintendo at all.
They would require new stages, and their stage budget was brought down by having to remodel the old stages and/or adapt them to the new lighting engine.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I think it's a mix of them being short on time once Everyone Is Here was taken into account (the base game only had two new series with playable characters - Splatoon and Castlevania - and a whopping four new stages, and half of the newcomers were echoes/clones), and DLC being really appealing for third party developers. (Nintendo hasn't really used their characters for Smash DLC aside from series veterans, fun bonuses, and blatant promotional picks)

Also, it seems like you're implying that Castlevania doesn't have much of a connection with Nintendo, which would be completely wrong if that's the case. (that's how I took it, at least, since you seemed disappointed that Castlevania got characters and said that Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie were fine because of their impact on Nintendo or gaming as a whole)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, it seems like you're implying that Castlevania doesn't have much of a connection with Nintendo, which would be completely wrong if that's the case.
"which sometimes may not even really have much of a connection to Nintendo at all"
I believe Castlevania is not one of those "some times".

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a mix of them being short on time once Everyone Is Here was taken into account (the base game only had two new series with playable characters - Splatoon and Castlevania - and a whopping four new stages, and half of the newcomers were echoes/clones), and DLC being really appealing for third party developers. (Nintendo hasn't really used their characters for Smash DLC aside from series veterans, fun bonuses, and blatant promotional picks)

Also, it seems like you're implying that Castlevania doesn't have much of a connection with Nintendo, which would be completely wrong if that's the case. (that's how I took it, at least, since you seemed disappointed that Castlevania got characters and said that Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie were fine because of their impact on Nintendo or gaming as a whole)
In my eyes, at least, Castlevania, while it does have a decent connection with Nintendo consoles, is not usually as associated with the company as 1st party series (ie: Golden Sun) or series like Banjo-Kazooie are, and, though it did help form the Metroidvania game archetype, it is not as influential to the wider gaming sphere as a series like Dragon Quest is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably am, it's just that that's how I see the series and it's connections/importance to Smash.

I still like playing as the Belmonts at times, however.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In my eyes, at least, Castlevania, while it does have a decent connection with Nintendo consoles, is not usually as associated with the company as 1st party series (ie: Golden Sun) or series like Banjo-Kazooie are, and, though it did help form the Metroidvania game archetype, it is not as influential to the wider gaming sphere as a series like Dragon Quest is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably am, it's just that that's how I see the series and it's connections/importance to Smash.

I still like playing as the Belmonts at times, however.
The first three Castlevanias (2 is debatable, see: AVGN review) are considered some of the NES's essential games, as well as Super Castlevania IV for the SNES and the Metroidvanias for the GBA and DS.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Mine is:
3. Apollo Sanctum
2. Isaac's theme
1. Venus Lighthouse
1. The Ruins of Lemuria
2. A Full Moon Over Garoh
3. The Elemental Stars

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I listen to many trracks from the Soundtrack regualrly, but I suppose my favourites to listen to are:

1. Isaac Battle Theme
2. The Golden Sun Rises
3. Golden Sun Main Theme

(Saturos and Venus lighthouse are up there as well i just can't fit them into 3!)

Smash Lord
Mine is:
3. Apollo Sanctum
2. Isaac's theme
1. Venus Lighthouse
(Kind of a generic list but this is how it goes with me)
1. Saturos Battle Theme
2. Venus Lighthouse
3. Elemental Stars
Lost Age world map A and Isaac's battle theme are very close to these three for me too

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Doom Eternal is coming close, so I thought this would be fun to do. It was also frustrating to take. If only I had dev tools...

Mine is:
3. Apollo Sanctum
2. Isaac's theme
1. Venus Lighthouse
I’d have to say:
1) Battle [Isaac]
2) Venus Lighthouse
3) Walking Forward with Determination

There are so many good ones out there though. Haha!

Silo777

Smash Journeyman

The obvious answer for base is that “Everyone is Here” took up a whole lot of the development time. DLC is where it gets more interesting. I think that, in order for Nintendo to deem a first party DLC pack worth it, they need to get a little more out of it in one way or another.

I think we’re gonna see first parties in Vol. 2, the real question is how many. 1, 2, 3, who knows. As for our situation, the thing we should be asking as Golden Sun fans is whether or not Nintendo would be willing to do the same thing with Isaac as they did for Byleth if this GS game happens. Who knows, maybe Vol. 2 gives them the opportunity to do that. Isaac would already have a foot in the door due to how requested he is, in fact that probably played a huge part in why this game might’ve got it’s chance to exist. However, we don’t really know whether they’d go for it or not. Nintendo seems picky with who they’re willing to shill and when. Such a requested first party character getting a game like this is rather unheard of, so there’s no precedent of whether they’d wanna do this or not. It’s all up in the air. There’s also never been a second wave of DLC before so for all we know it could miraculously be all requested characters. It could also be all third parties, too. We simply just have no idea about any of how this pass was chosen as opposed to the first, which is why I’m cautiously optimistic about Isaac. We really just need to see who the first fighter is.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
While we are on the subject of Golden Sun music, One piece of music that really hits me in the nolstalgia bone is GS1's cave theme.

Then again cave themes in games seem to have a weird effect on me in general I guess, as I feel the same way about FFIV's and Ocarina of Time's. I even somewhat got that feeling from Shantae's: risky's Revenge, and that was just from my first playthrough after hearing it once or twice I think lol. Something about the ambience or mysteriousness of such themes just appeals to me I guess.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

Doom Eternal is coming close, so I thought this would be fun to do. It was also frustrating to take. If only I had dev tools...

I’d have to say:
1) Battle [Isaac]
2) Venus Lighthouse
3) Walking Forward with Determination

There are so many good ones out there though. Haha!
How about taking a picture of Isaac and Captain Falcon since they both have golden scarves?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The obvious answer for base is that “Everyone is Here” took up a whole lot of the development time. DLC is where it gets more interesting. I think that, in order for Nintendo to deem a first party DLC pack worth it, they need to get a little more out of it in one way or another.

I think we’re gonna see first parties in Vol. 2, the real question is how many. 1, 2, 3, who knows. As for our situation, the thing we should be asking as Golden Sun fans is whether or not Nintendo would be willing to do the same thing with Isaac as they did for Byleth if this GS game happens. Who knows, maybe Vol. 2 gives them the opportunity to do that. Isaac would already have a foot in the door due to how requested he is, in fact that probably played a huge part in why this game might’ve got it’s chance to exist. However, we don’t really know whether they’d go for it or not. Nintendo seems picky with who they’re willing to shill and when. Such a requested first party character getting a game like this is rather unheard of, so there’s no precedent of whether they’d wanna do this or not. It’s all up in the air. There’s also never been a second wave of DLC before so for all we know it could miraculously be all requested characters. It could also be all third parties, too. We simply just have no idea about any of how this pass was chosen as opposed to the first, which is why I’m cautiously optimistic about Isaac. We really just need to see who the first fighter is.
I think this Pass will include more fan requests for one reason: it was approved after the game released. This Pass was approved solely because fans continued to support Smash, so Nintendo will want to give back to the fans and make more money by releasing more popular characters. If we combine this with the supposed new Golden Sun game, I think Isaac is more likely than most believe. That all depends on if Nintendo went with the fan pleasing route or the off-the-wall third-parties of the first Fighter Pass.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel that Issac is a really strong contender, but considering he has to go up against Waluigi for being an Assist Trophy upgrade. Yeah... I'm very concerned. It's gonna be an uphill battle.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Issac is a really strong contender, but considering he has to go up against Waluigi for being an Assist Trophy upgrade. Yeah... I'm very concerned. It's gonna be an uphill battle.
Though Waluigi may be, erm, popular, Isaac still has the benefits of being a main character of a series, having more to bring with him in regards to filling out a full challenger pack, and, if there's a new GS of some sort in the works (which there probably is), the golden boy also has the advantage that Nintendo could use him to advertise such a new game/remake.

It's not as bleak as it may seem at first glance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I hope Nintendo has taken note that, with the right marketing and care, traditional RPGs (even those that double down on their classic RPG-ness, such as Octopath) can have a sizeable audience on the Switch.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I think this Pass will include more fan requests for one reason: it was approved after the game released. This Pass was approved solely because fans continued to support Smash, so Nintendo will want to give back to the fans and make more money by releasing more popular characters. If we combine this with the supposed new Golden Sun game, I think Isaac is more likely than most believe. That all depends on if Nintendo went with the fan pleasing route or the off-the-wall third-parties of the first Fighter Pass.
Agreed. This also gives them more time to listen to and consider the feedback they got on the base game.

Also, I was giving some thought as to why FE seems to be the franchise Nintendo is most willing to shill with Smash. I think that the main reason is that Fire Emblem is one of the only Nintendo franchises with a constantly rotating cast of characters, but most importantly a constantly rotating main character. This means that almost every Fire Emblem game is like it’s own isolated experience, separate from the rest in the series. While Mario can represent basically all Mario games that ever come out, Marth can’t represent all Fire Emblem games. As such, more fighters are added to represent each game. I think that is the root of why there are so many Fire Emblem characters, not that Nintendo prefers it over other series. I think that’s also why we only have seen Fire Emblem as a first party in DLC so far. It’s not Fire Emblem is the only thing that they shill, it’s that the only thing to shill is Fire Emblem.

For example, they don’t need somebody to represent Luigi’s Mansion 3 because Luigi is already in the game and he has moves that have to do with it. They don’t need somebody to represent BOTW or Odyssey, just a slight move set rework of Link and cappy on Mario is all that’s needed.

Personally, I think this is the most likely reason for why series like Fire Emblem are treated like they are in Smash.

That being said, if this really is the case then that’s pretty dang good for us. Just look at the Inklings. Suddenly there’s another first party series and new characters to represent in Smash. Ultimate’s development began in 2015, the same year Splatoon came out, meaning they were added to Smash almost immediately. Who’s to say the same won’t happen to Golden Sun if it was to be brought back at this time? It already has the momentum going due to Isaac’s demand.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
That's a good explanation Silo, and I think what made it bloated is that they brougth everyone back rather than "just" rotate the FE cast.
Ideally they'd keep 3 or 4 permanent ones and a 5th one would represent the most recent FE game.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
In short: it's being examined in different countries/regions. Like New Zealand is currently examining it.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I saw Korea there. Does it mean Golden Sun is finally getting officially released in Korea?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I guess it would mean so. Do you mean it was never released there before ? That may hint even stronger at it being a soon to be announced game then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom