• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The new Super Smash Flash 2 Beta 1.2 update is out and Isaac is getting new alternate costumes, a final Smash and a home stage in Venus Lighthouse

1581662085039.png

1581662101768.png

Last edited:

Mizuiro24

Smash Rookie
Apologies, just thought it was a fun and succinct answer to the question.

For sake of elaboration Kalaam Kalaam : Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team surely weigh numerous factors in any decision. From what he's said in the Directs it seems clear that avoiding disappointing fans is a chief concern of his, but as such a public figure he no doubt also simply wants to reduce backlash sent his way on social media. His recent column about Byleth admitting that there are too many Fire Emblem characters as well as too many swordsmen seems to track with this: he wants the community to know that they're aware of criticisms and are trying their best to respond accordingly, in Byleth's case by adding the variety of weaponry in their moveset.
Well, Sakurai chose the DLCs from a 'list' that Nintendo gave him, so Byleth was chosen, not because Nintendo asked him to. But he talk about a request from Nintendo after the strong backlash.
I don't really know how Nintendo liked this 'de-responsibility'

YwhaletailY

Smash Rookie
The new Super Smash Flash 2 Beta 1.2 update is out and Isaac is getting new alternate costumes, a final Smash and a home stage in Venus Lighthouse

View attachment 262239
View attachment 262240
Very cool! Was Isaac buffed in any way for this update? Last I had heard they nerfed him pretty hard into low tier. I haven’t tried playing yet, but I might try it out after these awesome additions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

This Golden Sun diorama looks fantastic!
From the Tweet's comments, here you go! https://arts-md.myshopify.com/collections/cubes/products/golden-sun-cubic-diorama

It's sold out right now, though.
Fwiw, this thing is about $78 USD. I kinda wish I had seen the price beforehand, because as I was deciding if I was really going to spend over $100 CAD on it, people more willing than I snatched them all up in about 30 seconds. :laugh:

Well, Sakurai chose the DLCs from a 'list' that Nintendo gave him, so Byleth was chosen, not because Nintendo asked him to. But he talk about a request from Nintendo after the strong backlash.
I don't really know how Nintendo liked this 'de-responsibility'
I'm sure Byleth was chosen because Nintendo asked him to, as Sakurai wanted to include a different Three Houses character.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
The free spirits of Cuphead have something really interesting: they change whether you bought the DLC or not.

You know what that mean...

Remove Isaac AT from his fight and bring Isaac fighter instead when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him)!

Exciting!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The free spirits of Cuphead have something really interesting: they change whether you bought the DLC or not.

Remove Isaac AT from his fight and bring Isaac fighter instead when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him)!

Exciting!
Oh this got very, VERY interesting… naysayers gotta brace themselves stronger than ever eventually -chuckles-
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.07.43 PM.png

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Exciting!
Interesting!

Remove Poké Ball Meowth from the battle and bring playable fighter Meowth when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him). It’s the same principle!

Or... or...! Remove Isabelle from the Meowth Spirit battle and bring playable fighter Meowth when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Remove Isabelle from the Meowth Spirit battle and bring playable fighter Meowth when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him)
I am interested to see how they would handle unlocking a DLC promotion in WoL: Same as the rest of the DLC, or is it dependent on having cleared their spirit battle?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Interesting!

Remove Poké Ball Meowth from the battle and bring playable fighter Meowth when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him). It’s the same principle!

Or... or...! Remove Isabelle from the Meowth Spirit battle and bring playable fighter Meowth when he finally gets in the game (and if you buy him).

Sir, this is a Golden Sun thread.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Exciting!
Ooh this is really big! So pretty much all the spirit battle that use the Isaac assist trophy can now sub in Isaac as a character if you have the DLC. For example the Jenna one

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Ooh this is really big! So pretty much all the spirit battle that use the Isaac assist trophy can now sub in Isaac as a character if you have the DLC. For example the Jenna one
Or battles using the Isaac Mii costume. Maybe even the Matthew fight (which is currently Chrom) could use Isaac!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
While the implications of the Mugman spirit are exciting through the specific lens of character promotions, I simply see it as yet another sign of just how well Ultimate has been developed. That they designed the underlying systems to seamlessly change a spirit battle based on owned DLC when they had absolutely no need to do so shows just how much they care about providing the best experience possible for players. It's surprising in that we haven't seen this specific capability before, but considering how many rules are bent by the various stages, spirit battles, classic mode runs and so forth, it makes sense they would have the ability to implement that sort of easter egg.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Interesting!

Sir, this is a Golden Sun thread.

Fwiw, this thing is about $78 USD. I kinda wish I had seen the price beforehand, because as I was deciding if I was really going to spend over $100 CAD on it, people more willing than I snatched them all up in about 30 seconds. :laugh:
Well, at least now you what you're signing up for if you decide to get it next time. ;)

Exciting!
Wow, nice! That's a good sign for us!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or battles using the Isaac Mii costume. Maybe even the Matthew fight (which is currently Chrom) could use Isaac!
Also, the music in the Cuphead spirit battles changes to Floral Fury. So if Isaac were to be DLC, the battles could have a variety of music instead of Battle/Final Boss, Battle/Final Boss, and Battle/Final Boss. Oh and Weyard for Matthew.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I find it strange how Isaac is in the game as an AT, but it's Felix's theme that got remixed.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always thought that the reason they decided to add Felix’s battle theme instead of the much more iconic Isaac’s battle theme is because they know that if Golden Sun was to ever have a playable rep, it would be Isaac and that’s the track he’d 100% have to come with.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
The reason could be as simple as: Sakuraba felt like remixing Felix/Doom Dragon more than Isaac's theme.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The reason could be as simple as: Sakuraba felt like remixing Felix/Doom Dragon more than Isaac's theme.
It's probably this. I think Isaac wasn't heavily considered for Brawl, but they knew some kind of GS representation would happen, so they asked Sakuraba to remix a song and just chose Felix/Doom Dragon. I don't know why they didn't add one for Smash 4, but it's pretty clear that if Isaac were to ever happen, a remix of Battle! Isaac is basically guaranteed.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Ok. I guess that's the reason.
Also, if Isaac gets in, who do you want to support next? Besides Hornet, I think I'll go support Takamaru or Saki.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Also, if Isaac gets in, who do you want to support next? Besides Hornet, I think I'll go support Takamaru or Saki.
That's actually a question I've been struggling with. My support will go to Waluigi obviously, but I also like Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee, Shovel Knight, and a few others. Waluigi would probably be my number 1, but if he gets in before Isaac, probably Paper Mario.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I wouldn't really support anyone else I think. i'd be generally supportive of picks consider impossible or of games I like. But right now I can't think of a character i'd actively support as much as Isaac.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
After Isaac I'd mainly support Phoenix Wright and Monokuma.

Along with other popular characters like Geno, Waluigi, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee. I've definitely grown attached to the idea of seeing them become playable in Smash. I think it's because I'm already well aware of what these characters getting in would mean to a large group of people in the Smash community.

To be fair I think most people probably have a near endless stream of characters they'd want/like to see but at least for me the above is where my strongest feelings lie.

(I'm also fond of Chibi Robo, but at this point I think I'd be happy just to see him as an assist trophy)

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
after Isaac I could really care less, but I'd be pumped for Lloyd and/or Asuka from Senran Kagura

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I would be totally satisfied with Isaac. But I'd probably support Lloyd and Crash the most after that, I just wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't make it.

Last edited:

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Like many others, I dunno how much I would actively support other characters since Isaac is the character for me that makes me think I should never ask for anything again because I will have received the one character I wanted most since post-Melee.

If nothing else, I think I would turn to support the female characters who haven't got into the game. I saw the support thread for wanting more female characters recently and it really made me think about the number of female characters in the game and how many female characters I would love to see in Smash.

For example, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Impa, Midna, Mipha, Urbosa, Tetra, Shantae, Chun-Li, Tifa, and Yuna would all be high on my list and I am sure there would be more that I am willing to back. The more I think about it, Mipha and Chun-Li are probably tops for me. It astounds me we don't have more LoZ reps and the Champions from Breath of the Wild would be perfect. Urbosa is probably easier to imagine as a fighter, but Mipha was my favorite of the Champions. Chun-Li is fighting game royalty and I wouldn't mind seeing one more Street Fighter rep. I'm sure there would be a big argument to have M. Bison in over her, but I'm backing Chun-Li.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dark Samus likely will get a more developped moveset in the next game, if she is kept in (which I think she will, since there is very few Metroid characters). Most echoes that are kept probably will.
I think she's safe; the metroid cast is small and i don't see Sakurai cutting any of them
I agree with Dark Samus getting a redeveloped moveset or semi-clone moveset if she makes it into the next Smash. But saying she will be in the next game just because there are few Metroid characters is very debatable since Star Fox has 3 characters and Wolf got cut in Smash 4.

Assist Trophies I want to see get promoted the most in order: Krystal > Zero > Skull Kid > Isaac > Lyn > Bomberman > Waluigi > Ashley > Shovel Knight > Takamaru.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Quite simply, if Isaac gets in to Smash, I wouldn't support any other characters in a traditional sense. Mainly because Isaac has, and will always be, my biggest want for the roster and I can safely say that if Isaac were included, I honestly wouldn't be able to ask for anything more.

I'd rather bow out after the character I've supported is added, than go to other characters and "support" them despite me not feeling that motivation to go the extra distance for them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Quite simply, if Isaac gets in to Smash, I wouldn't support any other characters in a traditional sense. Mainly because Isaac has, and will always be, my biggest want for the roster and I can safely say that if Isaac were included, I honestly wouldn't be able to ask for anything more.

I'd rather bow out after the character I've supported is added, than go to other characters and "support" them despite me not feeling that motivation to go the extra distance for them.
I would say the same for me if Goemon ever get's in. I waited since Melee's release for Goemon, :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: and I finally got 3 out of my 4 most wanted in Ultimate. If Goemon ever get's in as a playable character I'll never ask anything from Sakurai again.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
For me, it's more that I "support" Isaac, in the way that I would literally do anything legal and morally correct to get our Golden Boi into Smash. But like, I can't say for any other characters out there that I "support" them - I want other characters to a lesser extent, but nothing will ever rally me quite like supporting Isaac.

He's just a special character to me. Like, unless Sakurai goes and adds a Mudkip into the game, I think Isaac will be my big dream for now.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I suppose *if* somehow Isaac ever makes it in, Amaterasu from Okami might become my number one most wanted character.

Top Bottom