• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Yeah, I find it unlikely that it'd be a brand new protagonist from a "dead" series. I'd love it if it happened, however.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite hoping Pack 2's opening way for more possibilities. Would like to revisit Isaac again in the future in that vein.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not certain how I feel about Byleth. The relic weapons is nice but I think I still would have preferred Edelgard.

At least this shows 1st party characters are still on the table.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We get a first party character and... it's another Fire Emblem character.

I can't even with this.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Three Houses was awesome and this means that first party isn't off the table for post-FP. Can't say I'm upset all things considered.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Three Houses was awesome and this means that first party isn't off the table for post-FP. Can't say I'm upset all things considered.
Yeah that's the main reason why I feel mixed.

I really enjoyed Three Houses....having said that I'm probably a little tired of Avatar Fire Emblem characters at this point. (Edelgard would have been brilliant)

However it does mean 1st party characters are on the table.

So overall I feel kinda middle-ish about this.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah that's the main reason why I feel mixed.

I really enjoyed Three Houses....having said that I'm probably a little tired of Avatar Fire Emblem characters at this point. (Edelgard would have been brilliant)

However it does mean 1st party characters are on the table.

So overall I feel kinda middle-ish about this.
Edelgard is who I would have wanted too, as she's my favorite character in the game. Atleast Byleth uses her axe along with the other house leader weapons so he/she isn't completely a sworduser I guess.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
SIX more characters confirmed! Wow.

Sadly, the nature of them was not teased at all.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well that's it. Whatever happens from now onwards it's already been set in stone. I hope we did enough during the lead up to Smash Bros Ultimate and during the first fighter pass to sway Sakurai.

At least now people won't only consider third party characters likely. (though really it probably just means people will speculate a Galar Pokemon rep)

Also, I think there was a belief that only franchises brand new to Smash Bros Ultimate would be part of DLC, but Byleth now also disproves that.

Really, Byleth is a positive for us. (not as great as if Waluigi or Geno had shown up, but still good)

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Big oof. Like I said before, I'm more concerned with Post Pass than Fighter #5 (6 characters lets go!)

Yet I was still 'whelmed' by this pick. I'm sure I'll have fun with them though, I did enjoy Three Houses, especialyl the music. And Gatekeeper got into Smash, that's the big takeaway from this.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
What do you know, my Byleth speculation based on the clues given was completely on point, even if they weren't my ultimate prediction. Personally pretty indifferent about their inclusion: I very much enjoyed Three Houses, but I can't say that yet another Fire Emblem character is what I wanted from Smash DLC. I'll probably enjoy playing with them in any case.

As for the Isaac camp, I'm going to call today's news a win. Six characters is plenty of room for a Golden Sun character to show up in. Further, we know the characters have been decided, and given how hard this community has been working to show our love for Golden Sun in addition to talk among the greater Smash community, I think we've done our part to ensure he was in the conversation. We've also got small context clues to work with: Byleth means Nintendo characters are very much in contention, and Camelot's next project remaining unknown for so long bodes well for a potential Golden Sun release that would justify a playable Smash character. It's going to be another long year of waiting, but I think we've got as strong a chance as ever to finally enter Smash. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm fine with this - The fighters are set in stone, we've done what we can and Byleth's proof that first party characters are still on the table - Plus we finally have an Axe/Lance/Bow user from Fire Emblem, so can't complain there.

I doubt we'll find out anything about Fighter 6 until E3 time though, given it sounds like they were very far back in development.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm fine with this - The fighters are set in stone, we've done what we can and Byleth's proof that first party characters are still on the table - Plus we finally have an Axe/Lance/Bow user from Fire Emblem, so can't complain there.

I doubt we'll find out anything about Fighter 6 until E3 time though, given it sounds like they were very far back in development.
I'm not certain about that.

If we get a Nintendo direct in February instead of January I could see a teaser being shown for fighter #6.

I mean there's bound to be a direct between now and E3....and I find it a little hard to believe they wouldn't include something Smash related.

It could be a sign that we're getting a Nintendo direct in February rather than this month.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm just going to say that based off of the Fighter's Pass, don't expect a string of highly requested characters. There may be one thrown in there, like Banjo & Kazooie was thrown in the Fighter's Pass.

The fact that it is six characters instead of five, meaning that one unexpected was added might prove significant, but that could mean a number of things. I still say keep expectations low. There is never a string of fan requested characters. It has never happened that way ever. Why would that change now?

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I doubt we'll be waiting that long, given the Byleth presentation was recorded in November. Even accounting for holidays and doing finishing touches on Byleth, that's a lot of time to work on whatever's next, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the next trailer come in the next full Direct.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I really hope we know who's in Pass2 sooner than for Pass1. I am not waiting up until end of 2021 to see if Isaac is in.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
It's hard not to feel excited about Isaac's chances after that presentation. :) If all five characters in the first Pass had been third-party, then it's possible most people's assumption would be that the second Pass would be all third-party as well... but with Byleth, we finally have confirmation that that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Plus, as we've all said before, the fact that this Pass was planned out after the base game released means that, unlike the first Pass, it's very possible that non-playable characters they'd put in the game and written off as DLC candidates - Assist Trophies, for example - were back on the table for this one.

Here's hoping!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Six characters for the 2nd fighter pass isn't bad for Isaac's chances.....but I'm not sure if I would say it was great either. There's still plenty of competition.

Right now I'm seeing these characters as major competition for Isaac:

Geno (still no Geno mii costume)
Waluigi (probably the most direct competitor Isaac has)
Rayman (I think getting two Ubisoft mii costumes has definitely given him a boost)
Phoenix Wright/Dante (It's probably between those two for a Capcom rep at this point)
Gen 8 Pokemon (seems like a real possibility after getting another Fire Emblem character)
Rex & Pyra (I'd say they're probably on the table again now as well)

Then you've got other characters like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Shantae etc

I'm starting to feel a little doubtful of characters like Doom Slayer or Ryu Hayabusa though. They're starting to feel like characters that people just got carried away speculating about without any real foundation to stand on.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree with y'all's takes on the situation. Byleth is whatever, but it leaves us in a pretty good position.

FP1 was decided before Nov 1, 2018, probably that summer. All the pro-Golden Sun stuff we did was largely after that. We know that they're still willing to develop a character from an upcoming Nintendo game for DLC, and Camelot's still silent. Realistically, FP1 was far more of a stretch than FP2 just for the timeframes.

The thing that kills me is 6 characters over two years is just like... uggggh. The pace has already been brutally slow and I'm exhausted from speculation. Might take some time away from Smash. Check back in 4 months and we'll be in... exactly the same position as before. It's kind of nice to know that we were loud and proud at exactly the right time and in the right way, though.

And dang, if CUPHEAD and UNDERTALE could have some representation, someone _has_ to be listening to the community.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Honestly, at this point in time, just hope for GS4 or a remake of the broken seal saga.

Personally, I think AT and Mii outfit is all we are getting for Isaac.

I just hope everyone here can behave and not attack Sakurai or Nintendo.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Well, my reaction to Byleth is... whelmed. I wanted her (and actually predicted her, let's go) but her moveset feels wrong to me. I wanted to see more of the Sword of the Creator and Divine Pulse, but we got... other character's weapons? They don't even look that unique to just sword strikes. Oh well, what can ya do.

But!

Fighters Pass 2 is happening, with *6* characters! That's awesome, and I can't wait to see who they are (plus they come with a stage and music, nice!). Here's my official predictions:

Geno.
Waluigi.
Isaac.
Phoenix Wright.
Lloyd.
Rex.

I feel very confident about the first three, less so about the last three. I think that Geno will be revealed first, and release in April, and Waluigi and Isaac will be revealed at E3, spread out between Summer and late Fall 2020. The last three will be released throughout 2021.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I feel we are getting a direct on February 12th or 13th, and we may get the trailer for the 6th there (even if no showcasing, kinda like E3), also it would be a great chance to get whatever Camelot is working on announced, so fingers crossed.

By how Sakurai made it sound, it seems his team and Nintendo did keep an eye on social media (and that's why he said no more Twitter requests) so hopefully all we have done since the bad reaction to Isaac's at back in November 2018 till now has been enough to convince Nintendo and Sakurai about us

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well, my reaction to Byleth is... whelmed. I wanted her (and actually predicted her, let's go) but her moveset feels wrong to me. I wanted to see more of the Sword of the Creator and Divine Pulse, but we got... other character's weapons? They don't even look that unique to just sword strikes. Oh well, what can ya do.

But!

Fighters Pass 2 is happening, with *6* characters! That's awesome, and I can't wait to see who they are (plus they come with a stage and music, nice!). Here's my official predictions:

Geno.
Waluigi.
Isaac.
Phoenix Wright.
Lloyd.
Rex.

I feel very confident about the first three, less so about the last three. I think that Geno will be revealed first, and release in April, and Waluigi and Isaac will be revealed at E3, spread out between Summer and late Fall 2020. The last three will be released throughout 2021.
I guess I'll make some predictions as well, in order of confidence.

Rillaboom
Geno
Rayman
Waluigi
Phoenix Wright
Isaac

I'm very much so running on "the power of hope" right now in terms of Isaacs chances. :p

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I am shocked too we didn’t get a Divine Pulse counter.
I would of loved to have the 3 lords Pokémon trainer style but I’m enjoying what we got.

Craft goes into each one of these characters

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Okay so Byleth might not be who a lot of people want but hey it proved the "only third party characters for DLC" crowd wrong. We might get the assist trophy barrier broken soon. If a new Golden Sun is coming it's honestly a no brainer for them to tie in Isaac as a fighter as well especially considering how popular of a request he is. And if he isn't one of the six he has a really great shot for the eventual Smash game after this. Golden Sun's position in Smash is the best it's ever been and if we keep pushing it can eventually get the playable representative we all dream of.
By how Sakurai made it sound, it seems his team and Nintendo did keep an eye on social media (and that's why he said no more Twitter requests) so hopefully all we have done since the bad reaction to Isaac's at back in November 2018 till now has been enough to convince Nintendo and Sakurai about us
Golden Sun and Isaac hype did peak a lot on Twitter in 2018 especially with the Rathalos image, the trademark trending, the Grinch leak , Golden Sunday and just being a popular request in general. It could really help us a lot

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Okay so Byleth might not be who a lot of people want but hey it proved the "only third party characters for DLC" crowd wrong. We might get the assist trophy barrier broken soon. If a new Golden Sun is coming it's honestly a no brainer for them to tie in Isaac as a fighter as well especially considering how popular of a request he is. And if he isn't one of the six he has a really great shot for the eventual Smash game after this. Golden Sun's position in Smash is the best it's ever been and if we keep pushing it can eventually get the playable representative we all dream of.

Golden Sun and Isaac hype did peak a lot on Twitter in 2018 especially with the Rathalos image, the trademark trending, the Grinch leak , Golden Sunday and just being a popular request in general. It could really help us a lot
Break the AT seal with the broken seal saga!
I can see the hype around it.

Honestly, if they redesign Isaac we could get the old look as an AT and the redesign as the fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, if they redesign Isaac we could get the old look as an AT and the redesign as the fighter.
I was actually thinking, "What if they had Garet take over as Isaac's AT role?" Because as basic as his new moves are, they're at least ones that let the AT be interchangeable.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I was actually thinking, "What if they had Garet take over as Isaac's AT role?" Because as basic as his new moves are, they're at least ones that let the AT be interchangeable.
they could do the whole toon link stage thing.
If you use Isaac in battle the AT turns into Garet/Felix

I honestly wish DD was released today. I think we would of had a better shot with Daddy Isaac.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I kinda feel like whether or not Camelot are working on a new Golden Sun (or remake) game could be the deciding factor on whether Isaac is included in the second fighter pass.

As much as I'd like to think our support for Isaac would be enough to get him onto the roster I feel like we might need an extra nudge from Camelot.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I kinda feel like whether or not Camelot are working on a new Golden Sun (or remake) game could be the deciding factor on whether Isaac is included in the second fighter pass.

As much as I'd like to think our support for Isaac would be enough to get him onto the roster I feel like we might need an extra nudge from Camelot.
i don’t think we need Isaac as a fighter to get a New/Remake of GS

I think the Mii fighter and AT does a lot already with how much it’s talked about.

In all honestly, I don’t care if he’s a fighter or not. I think GS getting remade is more healthy for the success of the series.

I don’t want Isaac to be like Capt Falcon with a fighter but a dead series.

I think with the rise of JRPGs and the success of the switch Nintendo could really make bank with a remake of the first two games

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
We could get Garet or Matthew replacing Isaac or we could get an Isaac assist that looks like Dharkon is possessing him if he's forced to be in the same match as the assist say for example a spirit battle

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Welp, hyped myself a bit too much expecting Dante that I even ran off to a dark corner in my job to watch live lol. Oh well, on the one hand at least it's a Nintendo rep, we kind of made mention that if this first pass had one it'd be Fire Emblem or Pokemon. Also Male Byleth hella good looking lol.

Though almost got a heart attack when Sakurai was mentioning one or two extra characters and now we got a whopping six, all of which are set in stone. I hope the fact that Ultimate will be a three year old game by the DLC's end made them likely to tackle more fan favorites this go around.

Also woo 1000 pages!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
My dream for Isaac DLC is Isaac as a fighter, Felix as an Echo (honestly the least likely thing here), and Matthew replacing the Isaac Assist, with a Venus Lighthouse stage. I feel very, very good about our chances as part of Fighters Pass Vol. 2, and I think the massive storm we created after the November 1st massacre will propel us to victory. I mentioned how I think Isaac and Waluigi will be a dual reveal at E3, and there's something I'd like to add to that: a new Golden Sun will also be revealed. I'm hoping for a TBS/TLA remake, but it could also be GS4 or that DD remake people speculated about.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Given that I was expecting a rando third party with little relation to Nintendo, my reaction to this was pretty positive despite being another promotional pick.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I guess I'll make some predictions as well, in order of confidence.

Rillaboom OR Urshifu
Geno
Rayman
Waluigi
Phoenix Wright
Isaac

I'm very much so running on "the power of hope" right now in terms of Isaacs chances. :p
Decided to change my prediction slightly. I think Urshifu could be another possibility for a Pokemon rep.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Considering it's a Pass again (which I predicted it would not be) I think the next 6 will have the full treatment, and with that being the hypotetical case I don't think a Gen 8 Pokémon is likely, because we already got Spirits from the new game (although they could always add more).

As for who's next, I'm feeling it's another first party. I don't think Isaac is getting in regardless, but I can dream.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Considering it's a Pass again (which I predicted it would not be) I think the next 6 will have the full treatment, and with that being the hypotetical case I don't think a Gen 8 Pokémon is likely, because we already got Spirits from the new game (although they could always add more).

As for who's next, I'm feeling it's another first party. I don't think Isaac is getting in regardless, but I can dream.
I don't get this logic. Especially with the Pokemon Expansion Pass coming this year.

Not to mention if the Pokemon fighter ended up being Urshifu, it would make perfect sense for the spirit event to be related to the Pokemon Expansion Pass and not the base game.

To my mind Byleth's reveal today pretty much cemented that we're getting either Rillaboom or Urshifu as part of the second fighter pass.

Top Bottom