• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hey guys I got a holiday themed anime convention in a couple weeks as it’s gonna be holiday matsuri again and I’m considering doing a golden sun holiday themed cosplay this year. Anybody got any suggestions on which character would be best along with color palette?
Maybe Kraden with a Santa hat?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, I feel pretty certain Astral Chain is getting a character in. It not getting a spirit event when Daemon X Machina did is highly suspicious.
Is Astral Chain a good game? Looking for more games to play on Switch.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Is Astral Chain a good game? Looking for more games to play on Switch.
I love it. It's my 2nd favorite game of the year so far, only behind Fire Emblem: Three Houses. :)

It can be a little tricky to learn, but once you get the hang of it it's a lot of fun.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel pretty certain Astral Chain is getting a character in. It not getting a spirit event when Daemon X Machina did is highly suspicious.
At this point with all the companies Vergeben is disconfirming for the 5th slot on the fighter pass (and the overall confusion) I'm starting to wonder if the last fighter on the pass will be owned by Nintendo. Considering Nintendo owned characters like K. Rool didn't leak until a few days before their reveal.

I'm pretty sure Astral Chain is owned by Nintendo right?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point with all the companies Vergeben is disconfirming for the 5th slot on the fighter pass (and the overall confusion) I'm starting to wonder if the last fighter on the pass will be owned by Nintendo. Considering Nintendo owned characters like K. Rool didn't leak until a few days before their reveal.

I'm hoping it'll be a Nintendo character. And my biggest guess is obviously Byleth. Seems pretty likely, and you know, following tradition. Except this time, the avatar DLC Fire Emblem character is actually hugely popular and successful already.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Honestly, I hope Fighter 5 is third-party, just to prove that the original plan was for all 5 DLC characters to be third-party. I hope they got all that nonsense out of the way and can focus on Nintendo characters to add, like Isaac, Byleth, and Waluigi.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Three of my most wanted 3rd parties are still in the running for that last slot (Phoenix, Sora, Steve). Hopefully, all these disconfirmations leads to a second pass with less third parties and more first parties.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
And don't forget that Nintendo did pick the initial pool of heroes for Sakurai to choose from. So it's not going to be anyone Nintendo wouldn't approve of first.
I could see Sakurai just going through the characters in the pool that didn't make the pass and just doing those.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I keep wondering whose next in line after the fighters pass is done and whether we need to wait for the February direct or maybe they show fighter 5 and 6 at the VGA’S? I’m guessing and hoping deeply geno is one of the first for fighters pass 2 along with Lloyd Irving!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey fellas this came out from the geno thread. Its something about that trademark renewal we got last year. This comes from Nazyrus himself!

Well... I will say/share something. The trademark we saw back just before Smash Ultimate came out? Had NOTHING to do with the AT and Mii. There was no need for a new trademark for GS back in Brawl. Last time it happened it was when GS DD came out. Plus the descriptions and categories that were added in the new trademark are just too much. There was absolutely no need for even a renewal of trademark for the AT and Mii we just got. A lot of fans decided to ignore this as soon as he get "deconfirmed" in base roster. This mid year the trademark went into "awaiting for approval" and it just got approved this November... there's a chance that something for GS, whatever it is (new game, remake, remaster, port, whatever), should be announced at some point in the near future (not sure how near, i'm not sure how much time pases from when a trademark like this gets approved till whatever it was registered for finally comes to light). Sadly I learned the trademarks can last a lot of years so who knows when they will show whatever it is for, but one thing is for sure, it's logical to not waste life time of a trademark you just registered, you would rather do it as close as possible to getting out your product, so that your money is not wasted for a shorter amount of trademark life time.

TL;DR: There was absolutely no need for a trademark like this for what we got of Isaac in Smash, it didn't happen back in Brawl, and the amount of stuff this new trademark got is immense, and such trademark just finally got approved. Does this mean smash? Nope, but here is the thing… they could be upgrading Isaac to playable due to the backlash and the continues high demand + it would help shill whatever is coming. Here's hoping anyway, I was super bummed not getting him after how much they teased us back then, lol.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
You're a bit late Koopa :p already explained all about why that trademark was important back in early november. That's why I'm so confident a new Golden Sun is coming.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I hope Fighter 5 is third-party, just to prove that the original plan was for all 5 DLC characters to be third-party. I hope they got all that nonsense out of the way and can focus on Nintendo characters to add, like Isaac, Byleth, and Waluigi.
Well I want FP5 to be a playable Venus Adept. But if it's not, I agree that I would like it to be third-party as you mention here. You can see how easily Sakurai would say in the FP5 showcase video something along the lines of:

"For the fighter's pass, we invited characters from video game companies other than Nintendo. We're very happy to include such a wide variety of unique characters from the wider history of video games. However, for the next fighters, we wanted to revisit some games from Nintendo history that haven't yet been represented in Smash Bros with a playable fighter or stage."

That makes sense in my Sakurai-head logic.

I keep wondering whose next in line after the fighters pass is done and whether we need to wait for the February direct or maybe they show fighter 5 and 6 at the VGA’S? I’m guessing and hoping deeply geno is one of the first for fighters pass 2 along with Lloyd Irving!
I'd been thinking about this. There's no single character they could announce that would match the hype of the previous four characters. I love Ace Attorney and Okami as much as the next guy, but c'mon. Unless it's Master Chief or Sora, maybe.

I'm thinking now there's increasing likelihood of a multi-reveal. Maybe not on the level of that first Brawl character trailer, but at least in that vein of the intro cinematic doing multiple characters. They've been pretty far ahead of schedule all year, so I wonder...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey fellas this came out from the geno thread. Its something about that trademark renewal we got last year. This comes from Nazyrus himself!

Well... I will say/share something. The trademark we saw back just before Smash Ultimate came out? Had NOTHING to do with the AT and Mii. There was no need for a new trademark for GS back in Brawl. Last time it happened it was when GS DD came out. Plus the descriptions and categories that were added in the new trademark are just too much. There was absolutely no need for even a renewal of trademark for the AT and Mii we just got. A lot of fans decided to ignore this as soon as he get "deconfirmed" in base roster. This mid year the trademark went into "awaiting for approval" and it just got approved this November... there's a chance that something for GS, whatever it is (new game, remake, remaster, port, whatever), should be announced at some point in the near future (not sure how near, i'm not sure how much time pases from when a trademark like this gets approved till whatever it was registered for finally comes to light). Sadly I learned the trademarks can last a lot of years so who knows when they will show whatever it is for, but one thing is for sure, it's logical to not waste life time of a trademark you just registered, you would rather do it as close as possible to getting out your product, so that your money is not wasted for a shorter amount of trademark life time.

TL;DR: There was absolutely no need for a trademark like this for what we got of Isaac in Smash, it didn't happen back in Brawl, and the amount of stuff this new trademark got is immense, and such trademark just finally got approved. Does this mean smash? Nope, but here is the thing… they could be upgrading Isaac to playable due to the backlash and the continues high demand + it would help shill whatever is coming. Here's hoping anyway, I was super bummed not getting him after how much they teased us back then, lol.
IIRC, they trademarked just about every single franchise they had last year didn't they? They did that for every franchise right up to December that year with Advance Wars and Style Savvy.

IDK why it was only last month when it was approved but maybe it wasn't an urgent matter for them to have it protected that quickly or that it took a while for the trademark to fully be approved? Please excuse my ignorance on copyright/trademark stuff as I could be completly off here.

That being said, quite a few things are going for a new Golden Sun sooner rather than later. As I mentioned before, Golden Sun nostalgia at an all time high from Ultimate's speculation, the Switch being a hotbed for JRPG's, and the recent comment from Nintendo suggesting they're looking to do more remakes from previous handheld systems.

The two GBA Golden Sun's having done well over a million units would fit this to a tee and the other two factors I mentioned really help it out. I can't say with 100% confidence this is happening but things are on the up, more so than they have in years past.

D

Deleted member

I still hope we get a Golden Sun remake.

Famicom Detective Club got one, so anything is possible.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
That makes sense in my Sakurai-head logic.
And there's the thing in all of this: Every time we've tried to get in Sakurai's head to figure out what that man is thinking, we miserably fail. Truly, there is little logic for us mere mortals to understand. Just whether Sakurai wants character A in over character B. And whether the heads of the Big N let him do that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Would they need to renew Golden Sun's trademark to add him as a playable character? (especially since presumably assist trophies don't need them)

I figure if anything it would point to a new Golden Sun (or a remake) before it would point to Isaac being made playable.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would they need to renew Golden Sun's trademark to add him as a playable character? (especially since presumably assist trophies don't need them)

I figure if anything it would point to a new Golden Sun (or a remake) before it would point to Isaac being made playable.
They would not.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice

Yes, Nintendo and Platinum co-own the IP.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No, they don't. Nintendo holds the rights of it. Platinum was just developing the game.
Looking at the copyright for the game, both companies are listed.

Which is weird, because I'd definitely read that the IP was Nintendo's. Might be something I'm not understanding correctly.

Smash Lord
Looks like TLA has a new speedrun beat at around 5 hours. It's awesome that these games still get great milestones like this from the community after all this time

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I got a holiday themed anime convention in a couple weeks as it’s gonna be holiday matsuri again and I’m considering doing a golden sun holiday themed cosplay this year. Anybody got any suggestions on which character would be best along with color palette?
Isaac is the most recognizable one out of the Fandom so I'd say Santa Isaac.

Regarding the FP5, I hope it's Monster Hunter, since it is my third party most wanted, however I don't know if Capcom would choose to further rep that aside of Rathalos, or if Capcom is even the company that will own the FP5, I do prefer them to end this pass with 3rd party so hopefully they can add all the first party characters they want to post FP DLC. Last thing I read was that Vergeben deconfirmed a Namco rep and a Level 5 rep

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Guys, I redownloaded SSF2 just to play Isaac.

...and also because I want to get used to how Sora may play once he's character 5

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'd love Sora to be 5 but I can't bring myself to believe it will happen. I think 5 will be a character we never saw coming like Terry or Joker

Smash Lord
The next fighter pass character might very well be the second genuine surprise that wasn't leaked beforehand. Hero was part of the SE character rumors going around, Banjo was leaked by Shinobi and Terry was leaked by Nintendo themselves when they had the SNK trademark. Nobody saw Joker coming and this could potentially be in a similar scenario to that. I had my thoughts on a new Capcom/Namco Bandai character for a while now but if insiders are right regarding them being out for FP5 I have no idea who to expect at the moment.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The next fighter pass character might very well be the second genuine surprise that wasn't leaked beforehand. Hero was part of the SE character rumors going around, Banjo was leaked by Shinobi and Terry was leaked by Nintendo themselves when they had the SNK trademark. Nobody saw Joker coming and this could potentially be in a similar scenario to that. I had my thoughts on a new Capcom/Namco Bandai character for a while now but if insiders are right regarding them being out for FP5 I have no idea who to expect at the moment.
I think reimu is likely the fifth fighter, at least in regards to leaks.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think reimu is likely the fifth fighter, at least in regards to leaks.
If the reveal is going to be at the game awards that's very unlikely since it's a western event....and she's almost unheard of in the west.

Not only that but when people refer to the amount of songs Terry got as a reason for why the leak with her getting so many songs could be legitimate they forget that Sakurai said not to expect so many songs going forward. The music Terry got was an exception.

Relating to the (presumed) game awards reveal coming up. Right now I think Phoenix Wright is the one I'm really hoping for....of course Isaac or Waluigi would be great because it would cause a stir (well and also it would be freaking Isaac playable in Smash)....but realistically speaking I'm holding out for Phoenix at the moment.

Then hopefully the real fun can begin post fighter pass.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Not only that but when people refer to the amount of songs Terry got as a reason for why the leak with her getting so many songs could be legitimate they forget that Sakurai said not to expect so many songs going forward. The music Terry got was an exception.
That is a really clever argument against Reimu. People on the speculation thread should read it.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
For all we know, Isaac could be FP5 this whole time and the leakers keep thinking he’s Leak bait. That would be hilarious and awesome.

But seriously, Sora is starting to seem likely now. But I’m not going to hold my breath for it.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I don't think Sora is likely at all. The negotiations for Sora would have coincided with Hero's, since Square, while they do not own Sora, are still creative directors, and so you'd need to talk to Disney, then Square. Thus, Sora and Hero would have happened around the same time, rather than Sora being negotiated with square at a later date. This means that Sora should have actually been either at TGA last year, or E3 this year.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If the reveal is going to be at the game awards that's very unlikely since it's a western event....and she's almost unheard of in the west.

Relating to the (presumed) game awards reveal coming up. Right now I think Phoenix Wright is the one I'm really hoping for....of course Isaac or Waluigi would be great because it would cause a stir (well and also it would be freaking Isaac playable in Smash)....but realistically speaking I'm holding out for Phoenix at the moment.

Then hopefully the real fun can begin post fighter pass.
Nintendo doesn’t really care about the west too much. They’re maining aiming for the east in regards to dlc.

In regards to songs, they’re dependent on companies and how easy going they are. You don’t think Touhou isn’t going to get crazy with its music? Regular companies are unlikely to provide many songs because of legal issues.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Nintendo doesn’t really care about the west too much. They’re maining aiming for the east in regards to dlc.

In regards to songs, they’re dependent on companies and how easy going they are. You don’t think Touhou isn’t going to get crazy with its music? Regular companies are unlikely to provide many songs because of legal issues.
IMHO if Reimu was happening, she'd have been revealed last month, since there's zero benefit in having her be at TGA unless for whatever reason a Touhou game will be there. Which is doubtful, as Touhou is a very Japan-oriented series, as in they don't make decisions based on the demographic outside Japan.

I'm certain that whoever #5 is must be also promoting a game world premiering at TGA, and at this rate is honestly unlikely to even be a third party at all.

Top Bottom