• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The whole point of organising a letter campaign is for an influx of letters to be sent in around a close enough time frame to send them the message that a lot of people do want this series back. Whether the feedback from us ends up paying off in the end, we'll see
I remember all those posts on the website were numbered and Isabelle's didn't quite match up with

Personally, I think that if Ultimate had the normal amount of newcomers and didn't include every veteran, Isaac would've made it, but that's pure speculation and hope.
I think this as well. Assuming that half of the base newcomers are clones, they had to add characters where they can reuse assets and moves in order to make the newcomer count high enough as I assume they didn't have the time to add as much. All the newcomers we did get have their reasons for their inclusion which I can see why they took priority over Isaac, but judging by how much Golden Sun content we got as consolation I'm confident he was a pretty high runner up for inclusion

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think this as well. Assuming that half of the base newcomers are clones, they had to add characters where they can reuse assets and moves in order to make the newcomer count high enough as I assume they didn't have the time to add as much. All the newcomers we did get have their reasons for their inclusion which I can see why they took priority over Isaac, but judging by how much Golden Sun content we got as consolation I'm confident he was a pretty high runner up for inclusion
The only character that doesn't make sense to me over Isaac is Incineroar (and Piranha Plant, but he's in a weird base-game/DLC limbo), but that's due to my distaste for Gen 7 and Pokémon newcomers in general (it's freaking Pokémon, it doesn't need promotion). Of course, adding Isaac would've also meant that a new stage would've been needed, which would've meant more work, so I'm not sure the math really cancels out there. Oh well, we'll get what we want soon enough.

Smash Lord
The only character that doesn't make sense to me over Isaac is Incineroar (and Piranha Plant, but he's in a weird base-game/DLC limbo), but that's due to my distaste for Gen 7 and Pokémon newcomers in general (it's freaking Pokémon, it doesn't need promotion). Of course, adding Isaac would've also meant that a new stage would've been needed, which would've meant more work, so I'm not sure the math really cancels out there. Oh well, we'll get what we want soon enough.
Based on what Sakurai said they had one slot open to a new Pokemon character so regardless whether you like the inclusion or not, it took priority over other potential newcomers. But yeah Isaac being from a new IP would require more work and my guess is it simply didn't line up in time for his inclusion due to other priorities that don't require as much effort to make

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Honestly even though I don't like the mandatory addition of a Pokemon to every new Smash game, I don't think stopping Incineroar from being added somehow would have meant we would get Isaac. GS being added into base game would have meant a lot of new content, including a stage, probably new assist trophies, various stage hazards (bosses, etc.) and other stuff that would have taken way more time than just adding a new Pokemon character.

It does seem like Isaac came close to being playable this time, and if Sakurai really does want to try to improve upon this game for as long as possible and make it the best Smash can possibly be, I don't see why he would pass up Isaac just because he's already an AT. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about Isaac's chances right now, especially if GS is getting a new game. We have to hope that GS remakes are announced soon, because that would drastically improve Isaac's outlook.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Even though I’ve never been the biggest fan of Isaac, you guys have wanted him for a really long time, Isaac has my full support
We really appreciate it dude, hopefully your picks get in at some point as well

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Out of curiosity, why DO you guys want Isaac in smash so bad? Besides the long wait time of course.
Several of us grew up playing Golden Sun on the GBA, really enjoyed it, and as such wanted Isaac to be playable. Some of us saw him in Brawl, and started wanting him playable after seeing him and hearing his music, and I'd say quite a few of us latched in during the Wii U virtual console/ballot days. Geomancy is also not a spell class that is in smash, even though the other three classical elements are well represented. Plus his scarf is kickass. If you want more, I'd suggest you read the OP.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Several of us grew up playing Golden Sun on the GBA, really enjoyed it, and as such wanted Isaac to be playable. Some of us saw him in Brawl, and started wanting him playable after seeing him and hearing his music, and I'd say quite a few of us latched in during the Wii U virtual console/ballot days. Geomancy is also not a spell class that is in smash, even though the other three classical elements are well represented. Plus his scarf is kickass. If you want more, I'd suggest you read the OP.
My personal most wanted is Sackboy from LBP
Mostly for Childhood reasons, but he’d also have a pretty awesome moveset, I made one myself.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, why DO you guys want Isaac in smash so bad? Besides the long wait time of course.
I can't speak for everyone, but the first two Golden Sun games are some of my favorite games of all time, and Isaac is my favorite of the two protagonists from them. Plus, he's got a lot of weird abilities that could make for a very fun and unique moveset in Smash!

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun (And Tales of Symphonia) are what got me to love jrpg's after convincing myself the genre wasn't for me. The first two games are my favorite gba games of all time, so I'd just love to see a playable character from it. My favorite character is Felix, though I know if anyone got in, it'd be Isaac.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Honestly, it's the exact same thing as Banjo: for the love for the game, for the nostalgia, and for the game status as a classic. The last two points are easy to overlook for people who don't know well the serie, that's my case for Banjo myself: I didn't grow up with him thus I don't feel the hype about him.

Golden Sun was one of the selling game of the GBA and one of the best looking one too. It quickly became a classic.

I would personally add this other reason: the sheer amount of GBA representation in Smash is quite low. The only characters coming from this console are from games series who didn't born on it, and they are really not a lot: Roy from FE, Lucas from Earthbound, and probably a Pokémon (not even sure, Lucario?). Isaac would be the first to represent a serie known for being a *lighthouse* of the GBA.

Another last reason I'll add, and one that can speaks to the mass who don't know Golden Sun well, is the simple fact that Isaac's moveset has a really strong potential of originality for being a geomancer, an earthbender. He's often accused to be "another swordsman", but that's terribly wrong. Between all his earth and vines magic and the use of djinns (summonable creatures), he could very well never use a sword. Look at him like an earth Robin.

Oh! An I forgot a reason: music.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
I think Lucario had a minor appearance in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for the GBA so that's why some count him as a GBA rep although I assume that was probably a Gen 4 teaser at the time

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Just for perspective, you mention Sockboy as a part of your childhood... I was in college when Little Big Planet came out.

I don't mean to suggest that every character that need be included in Smash must be part of someone's formative childhood years (I do absolutely support modern characters for Smash! Let's go, 2B!), but those older bonds are still the strongest, which is why you see dead and forgotten characters like K.Rool and Banjo so heavily requested.

Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre and the like was what I played for hours and hours when I was the same age you were when you were playing LBP. I imagine my support would be much the same as others: I want to see the franchise recognized and canonized in Smash Bros and in Nintendo history. It also doesn't hurt that being in Smash would be the best and easiest way for the series to continue.

Golden Sun (And Tales of Symphonia) are what got me to love jrpg's after convincing myself the genre wasn't for me. The first two games are my favorite gba games of all time, so I'd just love to see a playable character from it. My favorite character is Felix, though I know if anyone got in, it'd be Isaac.
IF Camelot is working on a new Golden Sun, IF it's not a prequel, it has to feature Felix, right? After he was nowhere in Dark Dawn? Even if they make a remake of TBS and TLA, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect him to return as soon as Golden Sun does, nor does it seem out of the realm of possibility that Felix would be playable with or without Isaac as an echo fighter.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I have a ton of nostalgia for the first Golden Sun, it and Chrono Trigger are what got me into RPGs.
Isaac would also have a pretty unique moveset, rep a new nintendo series, rep gba, etc

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think Lucario had a minor appearance in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for the GBA so that's why some count him as a GBA rep although I assume that was probably a Gen 4 teaser at the time
True, but you might as well say Roy isn't a GBA rep then, since Melee came out before his game.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
But that game also had a DS version.

I played his game early 2010s and thought he would have a great moveset.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I’m the kind of person who can’t finish/play almost any RPG games. No matter how hard I try, they just leave me bored or uninterested. Golden Sun, however, was the opposite. It won my heart over. I was invested into the game from the very beginning. It may not have the greatest story out there, but the characters, lore, battle system, psynergy (it’s like elemental magic), the Djinn (Pokemon-like creatures), music (especially the music), story, puzzles, etc. were just amazing. And I want more Golden Sun!!!

If you know Avatar: The Last Airbender, then Isaac is basically Toph from that show (ability wise). Smash severely lacks earth based fighters. Isaac would easily fill that void. He also has utility psynergy that can be very advantageous. He doesn’t use a sword exclusively as he can use other weapons, but they are hardly a part of him and you can beat Golden Sun without having to use a weapon once. He would be the perfect GBA Rep that Smash also severely lacks. I don’t count Roy & Lucas since their series didn’t start on the GBA. But Golden Sun did! There are a lot more reasons why I want them, but these are the basics here.

Isaac has been my Most Wanted since Melee. Placed at #2 before Sonic, who was #1 at the time, got in Brawl and Simon was #3. Now Isaac is the final one I need to be satisfied with Smash forever. I also would love more GS fighters like Felix as his echo and others, but as long as Isaac gets in, then I’m good. I will add that Doom Slayer (and to a lesser extent Sora) comes pretty close, but I’ll be fine without him as long as Isaac gets in.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Isaac has been my Most Wanted since Melee. Placed at #2 before Sonic, who was #1 at the time, got in Brawl and Simon was #3. Now Isaac is the final one I need to be satisfied with Smash forever. I also would love more GS fighters like Felix as his echo and others, but as long as Isaac gets in, then I’m good. I will add that Doom Slayer (and to a lesser extent Sora) comes pretty close, but I’ll be fine without him as long as Isaac gets in.
On that note, for Plank08 Plank08 , I'm in a similar case with only Isaac really really wanted.

In Sm4sh, I wanted Robin, Shulk and Isaac. None were anywhere to be "sure picks", and I got lucky for two of them.

I had several wanted characters for Ultimate, several being in the realm of possible: Isaac first, Waluigi, Elma, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, an Advance Wars rep. Shantae and Sora too but not as confident for them. In the end, i like a few addition (Isabelle, PP or Hero) but give me Isaac and I won't ask for anything anymore.

Hey, that makes me remind that I need to train with Mii Swordfighter.

Smash Lord
We really live in the timeline where a guy tags Harada in an Endgame meme chain and a bunch of Smash campaign accounts get called out for no reason. Isaac Adepts was part of the chain but we didn't get called out or blocked by him

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
We really live in the timeline where a guy tags Harada in an Endgame meme chain and a bunch of Smash campaign accounts get called out for no reason. Isaac Adepts was part of the chain but we didn't get called out or blocked by him
Fortunately, Harada has absolutely nothing to do with Smash. Don’t take him seriously either. He’s mostly a troll/memer. However, it is a good idea to take this as a warning for future reference. As long as we don’t tag devs, things will be fine.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Looks like my celebrations will be in full swing for Golden Sunday! My surgerical recovery is done, the cosplays are nearly done which means I can easily squeeze in making a video on sewing Isaac's scarf.

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
Really looking forward to this upcoming Golden Sunday! I'm a big scarf lover so seeing that video will be pretty rad. Wasn't planning on doing something for it but seeing how positive everyone is in here waiting for our boy I'm going to try and get one more Isaac render out for it

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I want Isaac because the fans want Isaac and he seems to have just barely missed his shot. He's easily the most-requested of left-out Nintendo characters (since I'm not counting technically third party Geno), and it's clear to me that Isaac did very well on the ballot given how much content Golden Sun got as a series compared to other non-playable ones. Sakurai doesn't want to add a character or series without proper representation (see: fighter, stage and music) since that's what the Fighter's Pass is giving us. The other biggest requests (Ridley, K. Rool, etc.) were already part of existing series so didn't need that. Inkling & Splatoon content beating out Golden Sun is a no-brainer, though, and I'd bet they got more votes on the ballot too, and Castlevania was also a long requested series that, if they're negotiating Snake back, made a lot of sense to bring in also. If Ultimate had more development time though, Golden Sun IMO was easily the next in line.

DLC being third parties was logical too, to grab the most attention, but a second pass might not follow the same pattern. It may very well, so I think Isaac's biggest opponents are recent popular first parties like Rex & Pyra or Byleth/Edelgard, or maybe Akira Howard because I can see us getting at least one.

I know I went a little past your question, but I'd just like Isaac to finally get in Smash, lol. Make him an amiibo, damnit!

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I think most of us have the same reason why we want him so bad in smash. First of all Golden Sun still is the only big title that isn't represented with a fighter in smash (given the 2 million copies it sold). Since Melee I wanted Isaac as one of the most iconic JRPG characters Nintendo has in smash. After I got Ike in Brawl (who is my favorite video game character), I rly wanted Isaac for Smash and would have been set forever. I grew up with Golden Sun and was fascinated by it's characters, gameplay diversity and AMAZING Dungeon Design (for the most part). And since then I always could see an endless possibility for Isaac's potential Moves in Smash. So still to this day (I think 14 years now? ) I want Isaac in Smash.

It's really funny when I think about it, I was like 9-10 years old when I wanted him in Smash. I am now 24 and didn't get him in smash and don't get why.
If he really doesn't make it in as a fighter, I will never get the "why" behind it all, given all circumstances.

And I don't want to start talking about characters "deserving" to be in smash, since that's rly subjective. But imo Golden Sun should have one of the highest Priorities since it doesn't have a single character going for it :/
I think I speak for most of us when I say "WE ONLY ASK FOR ISAAC THAT'S IT"! Getting Isaac in is all I could ever ask for. I don't care if Golden Sun never receive's another character for the roster. It will be more than enough getting the character I've waited for 14 years to make it into the game.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If there’s something I love about the Golden Sun community and Isaac fans right now, it’s how we all are done with hiding. We are going to keep fighting for Golden Sun to return and get Isaac in the Smash Roster once and for all.
Remember, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Let’s see how far we can go!

D

Deleted member

Always I not always be here and after the DLC is done I'll probably be done here. But Isaac will always have my support.

The goal to get him back for a remake of the Golden Sun games and into Smash continues on.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
As much as I want to be chill regarding this future post fighter pass DLC not going to lie, I do feel the immense pressure of Isaac being MIA in what's essentially the Ultimate roster in every sense of the word. I don't think I'll ever get over Isaac not being cemented on that mural.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want to be chill regarding this future post fighter pass DLC not going to lie, I do feel the immense pressure of Isaac being MIA in what's essentially the Ultimate roster in every sense of the word. I don't think I'll ever get over Isaac not being cemented on that mural.
I share this sentiment. However what also keeps me good for going is the fact that there is nothing the post fighter DLC can do that hurts me more than that November direct did. How it has been said, we have nothing to lose anymore for Ultimate at this point but boy do we have a lot to gain!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Yeah, but really at this point what is there we have left, but hope?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
We have a community of awesome artists from around the world who started doing big Golden Sun themed stuff, even having their memes or themed events like in japan recently about doing a group of golden sun OC adepts, with reoccuring characters drawn by several artists.
Isaac is regularly in the top 10 or 5 of requested fighters.
Big youtubers are talking about golden sun.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
We have a community of awesome artists from around the world who started doing big Golden Sun themed stuff, even having their memes or themed events like in japan recently about doing a group of golden sun OC adepts, with reoccuring characters drawn by several artists.
Isaac is regularly in the top 10 or 5 of requested fighters.
Big youtubers are talking about golden sun.
However you look at it, 2019 has been a good year for Golden Sun fans around the world. I haven’t seen the community this active in years and it’s been amazing so far. I hope we keep it going and introduce it to more newcomers as well as recruit new Isaac fans. I’m so excited for Golden Sunday!!!

Golden Sun’s return could very well be next year. Who knows? If it’s being worked on, I hope they take their time to make it awesome! (And hopefully Nintendo has Isaac ready for Smash when it’s announced. Again, dreaming. Lol)

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I did a lot of thinking over and I decided to do not one but maybe two golden sun centered videos for Golden Sunday Next week. One will be a Mii Swordfighter Montage Video cause I love king of skill so much and I think I have the editing skills to make that really good. The other could be a why Isaac needs to be in smash bros video and why we should all keep pushing hard for his inclusion!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I did a lot of thinking over and I decided to do not one but maybe two golden sun centered videos for Golden Sunday Next week. One will be a Mii Swordfighter Montage Video cause I love king of skill so much and I think I have the editing skills to make that really good. The other could be a why Isaac needs to be in smash bros video and why we should all keep pushing hard for his inclusion!
Do it!!! Seriously, the more Golden Sun/Isaac content the better! I’m super excited for this.
Maybe I can finally finish my GS/Smash video I’ve started in January? Haha!

Edit: Holy Moly! It works now! Thank you Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept
GS_S***posts is doing a fun small marathon to help remind people for Golden Sunday!

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Pardon my ignorance here, but what is Golden Sunday supposed to be?

Last edited:
Top Bottom