• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I haven't posted in here for a while, but recently I've started feeling a bit more optimistic about Isaac's chances. I hope we'll learn about the first fighter outside the FP sooner rather than later to see where they'll be going with the rest of the dlc.
Hopefully. We've just got to bid our time until Terry's release, or maybe an October direct (though I am unsure of whether or not Character 5 would be revealed in an October direct considering that we are expecting them to be released in mid to late January).

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hopefully. We've just got to bid our time until Terry's release, or maybe an October direct (though I am unsure of whether or not Character 5 would be revealed in an October direct considering that we are expecting them to be released in mid to late January).
Yup. Regardless of what happens, we keep pushing for Isaac. Let Nintendo (and Sakurai in a sense) know that we want Isaac as a fighter. Period! Any opportunity we are given to shout out his name (polls, discussions, etc.) take it now! The time to get him in, no matter what Isaac’s odds are, is now!
I’m more pumped up to support him than last year now! How does that work? Haha!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't hold your breath for an October Direct, we just got one last month - they wouldn't even have much new content they'd be willing to show.

Frankly there probably won't be another general Direct until 2020, but that doesn't preclude getting info along with Terry, or something at the VGAs.

ZelDan

Smash Master
yeah, I doubt we'll get anything in October. We might get some additional addition along with Terry in November though (At the very least we'll more mii costumes), and I'm sure Nintendo will have something for VGAs, whether it be Smash-related or not.

We'll probably get a general Nintendo general direct sometime in January or February too.

So basically we just have to get past this current month and then things should get a bit spicy again.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Hey, I’ve been a long time browser of the Isaac and Geno boards (Since before last year’s September direct) and first time poster.

I recently came up with a theory that’s been driving me nuts. Its probably just a coincidence, but it might give hope for Isaac and other assists.

This is the picture unlocked when completing the challenge “unlock 777 unique spirits”. A couple things in this caught my attention. For one, 5 assist trophies are present (including bomberman). As far as I’m aware, the number of assists on stage caps at 2, so this may have been done manually. 5 also happens to be the number of characters in the fighters’ pass.

Something that also raised an eyebrow is bomberman being released, and palutena standing between him and the other assists. Palutena is a goddess and gods are often depicted giving life to humans and lower beings (i.e. Creation of Adam). Has she already brought life to bomberman and is going to give life to 4 others? This may imply that bomberman could be the first assist promotion (an awesome choice ). Also I’d like to point out that bomberman was likely intended to be in the picture and not just a random assist. The image has his named attached to it (all the challenges have the name of a fighter/item/etc.)

I could be totally wrong and this may just be a reference to Kid Icarus or Bomberman that just went over my head. I searched through databases for the challenges as well as the assist alliance board and I was unable to find a meaning or anyone discussing it. What do you guys think?

Extra Note: Back when they announced extra DLC fighters, they stated that they were in development, not planning. My hunch is that at the time of Ultimate’s release, all of the fighter’s pass was lined up and some of the were already in development. I think that this hypothetical assist pass 2 was already in planning and the rights for bomberman were already lined up (thanks Simon and Richter), with others being subject to change based demand/promotion.

Extra Extra Note: Theres also the 16 empty slots from world of light, so the likely had at least the many dlc fighters in planning.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Hey, I’ve been a long time browser of the Isaac and Geno boards (Since before last year’s September direct) and first time poster.

I recently came up with a theory that’s been driving me nuts. Its probably just a coincidence, but it might give hope for Isaac and other assists.

This is the picture unlocked when completing the challenge “unlock 777 unique spirits”. A couple things in this caught my attention. For one, 5 assist trophies are present (including bomberman). As far as I’m aware, the number of assists on stage caps at 2, so this may have been done manually. 5 also happens to be the number of characters in the fighters’ pass.

Something that also raised an eyebrow is bomberman being released, and palutena standing between him and the other assists. Palutena is a goddess and gods are often depicted giving life to humans and lower beings (i.e. Creation of Adam). Has she already brought life to bomberman and is going to give life to 4 others? This may imply that bomberman could be the first assist promotion (an awesome choice ). Also I’d like to point out that bomberman was likely intended to be in the picture and not just a random assist. The image has his named attached to it (all the challenges have the name of a fighter/item/etc.)

I could be totally wrong and this may just be a refence to Kid Icarus or Bomberman that just went over my head. I searched through databases for the challenges as well as the assist alliance board and I was unable to find a meaning or anyone discussing it. What do you guys think?

Extra Note: Back when they announced extra DLC fighters, they stated that they were in development, not planning. My hunch is that at the time of Ultimate’s release, all of the fighter’s pass was lined up and some of the were already in development. I think that this hypothetical assist pass 2 was already in planning and the rights for bomberman were already lined up (thanks Simon and Richter), with others being subject to change based demand/promotion.

Extra Extra Note: Theres also the 16 empty slots from world of light, so the likely had at least the many dlc fighters in planning.
Just noticed the picture doesnt seem to display, so here’s the link

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I could be totally wrong and this may just be a reference to Kid Icarus or Bomberman that just went over my head. I searched through databases for the challenges as well as the assist alliance board and I was unable to find a meaning or anyone discussing it. What do you guys think?

Well, the picture was obv made with dev tools unavailable to us (as I'd expect most challenge board pics were), and Bomberman was probably chosen deliberately. There may even be some symbolism of a goddess bringing life to something.

However, your theory is predicated on characters past the pass having been selected pre-release, which I don't think is the case. I think they took the precautions in case they opted to add more, hence the extra slots in the data (Smash 4 also had extra slots which were never used), but I don't believe they made the decision to develop more DLC until after release, which would render everything in base that may have some sort of esoteric hint towards AT/spirit promotions as, ultimately, coincidental. If we even get promotions, which we may not.

Especially since your case revolves around Bomberman... who isn't really in the same boat as Isaac or Waluigi, where those absences would be met by scrutiny. They could've very easily just not put Bomberman in base if he was always intended to be DLC, and no one would've really batted an eye.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yeah that makes sense. A lot of my post was just speculation. I failed to clarify that if this hints at a second fighters’ pass, I think it was decided between November direct and release (not sure when the game went gold, so I may be wrong).
Also I’m not sure the comparsion to smash 4’s dlc totally works. The game is on a much more popular console and had a large number of pre-orders since at least June. Also it seems like Sakurai knew from the start this would probably be his last smash, so I think a large amount of dlc was being considered from early on.
Just some food for thought though. The Isaac board has been kinda slow for awhile so maybe this could help spice up conversation? Also i was pretty straw-graspy. I think a lot of assist fans are getting desperate :(

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

This is the kind of theory I love. Very improbable, and even if it pans out it will be tough to link it back to this (kinda like Stage Builder theory) but really good eye.

Hey, here's hoping you're right. I know I'll be sweating if the first character after the FP is Bomberman.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Also it seems like Sakurai knew from the start this would probably be his last smash,
I think until Sakurai says "It's official, I've retired" there's very little possibility he will stop working on Smash if Nintendo lets him. I mean at this point Ultimate is the 4th last Smash game he would ever make so I'm not too worried about him directing another one.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Wasn't the Rathalos pic made with dev tools unavailable to us?

Can't say I really buy into this theory. A little too stretchy to me.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Wasn't the Rathalos pic made with dev tools unavailable to us?

Can't say I really buy into this theory. A little too stretchy to me.
Oh god don’t remind of that one. Yeah, it’s pretty strectchy lol. Im maybe like 5% confident in it but its still pretty interesting to me, mainly because ive got no idea what meaning is behind the picture, most of them are references to other games or jokes.

I think until Sakurai says "It's official, I've retired" there's very little possibility he will stop working on Smash if Nintendo lets him. I mean at this point Ultimate is the 4th last Smash game he would ever make so I'm not too worried about him directing another one.
Yeah that is true lol. But it seems like he’s been hinting at it more than ever, and he is getting older, of course he could change his mind.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah that is true lol. But it seems like he’s been hinting at it more than ever, and he is getting older, of course he could change his mind.
There's also the fact that Iwata always brings him back to make the next one including Ultimate and since he sadly passed away Sakurai doesn't have that same incentive he always got when returning

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'd recommend you not double post

Anyway this theory seems plausible on the surface, but I doubt we'll strictly go in that direction

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I'd recommend you not double post

Anyway this theory seems plausible on the surface, but I doubt we'll strictly go in that direction
My bad. This is my first day posting so I’n not sure how to reply to two posts at once.
Yeah I doubt this’ll happen but its fun to guess. Plus an assist pass would be best case scenario.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
My bad. This is my first day posting so I’n not sure how to reply to two posts at once.
Yeah I doubt this’ll happen but its fun to guess. Plus an assist pass would be best case scenario.
You can quote multiple messages at once, and reply to each within the same post.

I wouldn't look too much into a picture from the Challenge Board. I personally believe that the next DLC fighters were decided early 2019, after the game was released, making anything from the base game irrelevant to who gets included/excluded. This is also why I believe that being an Assist has no bearing on who gets decided as DLC, especially post-Fighters Pass.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Well we have not been guaranteed it'll even be a pass, and not just a bunch of DLC sold separately, so whether there's a theme or not remains to be seen

Also there's a multiquote option

D

Deleted member

Until Sakurai comes out and straight up says he's done with Smash. I don't think he's done just yet and quite frankly I hope he dosen't leave it one of the greatest game directors of our time, and I'll always apperciate and respect what he does for the games. Don't think he's gone from the games just yet. But he needs a serious break from Smash after this DLC is done. Man has earned it.

Yeah news will be kind of slow we'll get Terry's presentation in November running down his moveset, stage ECT, then maybe find out who character 5 is then. After that well we'll see.

Regardless of whatever comes I'll always support Isaac.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whether Sakurai is done or not after Ultimate, that's still not a direct correlation to how far they're going to push Ultimate's DLC. Let alone how far removed it would be from validating the rest of that theory. There are quite a few contingencies in between.

I think the fact that they've such a strong, plentiful base and a successful product is informing the prolonged DLC schedule much more than whatever the further future holds for Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

You're right I still don't think he's done just yet and hope he gets a break. But I get it. I'm excited for the DLC all the same.

Hopefully Isaac is one of those characters.

If not we'll keep on supporting him but I'm hoping for the best all the same.

aztimh

Smash Rookie
Been finding lots of cool orchestral and metal covers of great RPG music and honestly the Isaac Battle Theme still has to be my favourite battle theme ever.

When I first played the games my brother borrowed a friend’s copy of Golden Sun and I played a bit. Then I got The Lost Age later on... I hadn’t actually finished the first game, so when you reunite with Isaac I changed to his party so I could listen to the battle theme haha.

It took a mad dash through a big shopping mall to try and find a second hand copy of Golden sun the original and took like 5 shops haha. We finally got it and I was so happy!

It is so covered on YouTube I find it almost criminal we don’t have it in smash haha. I mean there’s so many other perfect themes for smash too!

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Been finding lots of cool orchestral and metal covers of great RPG music and honestly the Isaac Battle Theme still has to be my favourite battle theme ever.

When I first played the games my brother borrowed a friend’s copy of Golden Sun and I played a bit. Then I got The Lost Age later on... I hadn’t actually finished the first game, so when you reunite with Isaac I changed to his party so I could listen to the battle theme haha.

It took a mad dash through a big shopping mall to try and find a second hand copy of Golden sun the original and took like 5 shops haha. We finally got it and I was so happy!

It is so covered on YouTube I find it almost criminal we don’t have it in smash haha. I mean there’s so many other perfect themes for smash too!
Right?!? It’s criminal that they didn’t even add one more song like Isaac’s Battle Theme. They even had Motoi Sakuraba on board and they didn’t bother having him make a remix or anything.

Makes me want to believe that if Lloyd is indeed coming to Smash, Isaac will follow since both of their games’ music were composed by Sakuraba. Why get him to do it for one series when he can do both? Of course, this is only wishful thinking. I can dream, dang it!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I want a Smash remix of both Battle! Isaac, Battle! Jenna (really underrated, imo) and especially Venus Lighthouse. Imagine what Sakuraba could do with a fully orchestrated soundtrack for Golden Sun. Just the thought makes me excited...

Smash Lord
I can easily see an explosion of tons of new remixes plus a couple of original songs if Isaac gets in. Isaac's Battle Theme, Venus Lighthouse and Saturos Boss theme are pretty much shoe-ins when it happens

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I want a Smash remix of both Battle! Isaac, Battle! Jenna (really underrated, imo) and especially Venus Lighthouse. Imagine what Sakuraba could do with a fully orchestrated soundtrack for Golden Sun. Just the thought makes me excited...
Speaking of Jenna’s Battle Theme, have you heard this awesome rock remix:
https://youtu.be/45Xekkoc-rI

He even made a remix to Jupiter Lighthouse and here I thought you couldn’t make it sound awesome:
https://youtu.be/kSKT53w6P2Y

*sigh* Annoys me that I can’t put the video on here itself.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Smash Lord
The Isaac Ultimate Allied Adepts Twitter account has a new profile picture made by the wonderful artist LT whom you may be familiar with if you are on the r/GoldenSun discord

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Isaac Ultimate Allied Adepts Twitter account has a new profile picture made by the wonderful artist LT whom you may be familiar with if you are on the r/GoldenSun discord
That's great art.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
It's been quiet here. I decided to write up my Isaac move list predictions for fun. I know there's been some quite extensive versions of these shared, and they're mostly really good. But I see a lot that have a Djinn switching system and all the elemental spells available. I know that kind of versatility is possible for Isaac in game, but for Smash I think his moveset will be much simpler and focus on his Venus psynergy only. Some of the moves will belong to Matthew, because I think he'll be an alternate skin.

I don't think the Djinn will affect his moveset at all. After all, it's not like you can switch Djinni in battle in the original game. That would be like Cloud switching Materia mid battle, it just doesn't work like that. It would also make it needlessly complicated, for a character that may already have an air disavantage.

But anyway, here it is! The hard part was making his tilts different to Hero's.

Neutral Attack - Double Attack - Two basic sword slashes in quick succession.
Rapid Jab - Probably none (But if he was gonna have one he could unleash Centurion for a rapid attack)
Side Tilt - Quick Strike (One quick sweeping horizontal slash)
Up Tilt - A sweeping strike upward (like Hero's)
Down Tilt - A quick low jab (Like Roy's)
Dash Attack - Run, jump and slash vertically (as per Isaac's usual attack animation)

Neutral Aerial - Rolling Attack (Isaac spins in the air, swinging his sword in a vertical circle))
Forward Aerial - Corsair Slash - A horizontal slash on the way down.
Back Aerial - A backwards horizontal slash.
Up Aerial - A jab upwards.
Down Aerial - Sky Diver (A strong glowing strike straight down with meteor effect)

Grab - Catch Psynergy (a ranged grab. The psynergy hand reaches out to grab and pull the opponent close)
Pummel - The psynergy hand squeezes the opponent (Like Master hand does)
Forward Throw - The hand throws forward.
Back Throw - The hand throws backward.
Up Throw - Scoop (The hand throws upward)
Down Throw - Pound (The hand slams or slaps the opponent to the floor)
Ledge Grab - Grip Psynergy (Grab the ledge with the hand from range and be pulled towards it)

Forward Smash - Sunset Burst (One of Matthew's unleashes. Isaac smashes his sword forward into the ground with golden light)
Up Smash - Gaia (Launch rocks straight upwards with golden light)
Down Smash - Quake (Two pillars of earth launch from the ground to send opponents either side of Isaac flying)

Neutral Special - Move (The basic move psynergy the assist trophy already uses. Kirby copies this)
Side Special - Spire (Drop a stone spire in front of Isaac from a set height)
Up Special - Retreat (A teleportation up, with venus particles that damage upon passing through)
Down Special - Earthquake (Can be held down to grow in power. The ground around Isaac starts to shake, causing opponents nearby to trip and take damage)

Final Smash - Ragnarok/Odyssey. Whichever they choose it needs to be big and have massive impact. Whether it happens in stage or in a cutscene, I want it to be deserving of Isaac's strongest Venus psynergy, and not a piddly Side Special. What? No Judgement!? Well obviously Judgement would be amazing too, but typically the RPG smash characters don't summon as part of their moveset. So I'm kinda following tradition there. Honestly Judgement seems almost too strong for Smash when you consider some Final Smashes are just hitting someone really hard.

Taunt 1 - Happy Face - Isaac laughs and a Happy emote blinks above his head.
Taunt 2 - Flint appears and dances around Isaac before setting back to him.
Taunt 3 - A sword pose.

It's not that easy coming up with aerials for his move sets, but there are some basic unleashes that sort of work. Most of all I would be excited to use his well known earth psynergy.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Even if it would be complicated I'd be interested in seeing what kind of gimmick Sakurai could come up with for implementing Djinn in Isaac's moveset. Also, I think he could still end up having Judgment as a final smash as long as the sequence is quicker than it is the original games. I don't really mind how they implement Isaac in the game, although I hope they do try not to use the sword too much, because that would be a waste of some excellent potential. Hopefully it's only in aerials or tilts.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
As long as Isaac uses earth based attacks and utility psynergy for his attacks, then I’m good. I still think using “Force” as his rapid jab would be neat. Similar how Bayonetta’s rapid jab looks. Just mini “Force” punches in rapid succession followed up with a bigger one to finish it.

Top Bottom