• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Well, the thing with Advance Wars is that the interviewers have recently asked for a new entry to their creators. Even if that's not that big, at least they know there're a bit of demand. Besides, considering that FE:H were done by a few people from IS (IRC, only 15 people were credited when they have 100 or more employees), and key people who are missing in the credits also participated in AW, a new entry is definitely a possibility.
I wish there were interviews from the west with the Takahashi brothers when MTA was launched. I'd have loved some questions regarding the future of Golden Sun. I was really surprised when they commented about the Sol Sanctum temple in that japanese interview.
It’s very interesting that there are several references of Golden Sun since Aces came out. It shows that they do care for it. Now they just need to see that demand is there. Unless they know now and have already gone to work?

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
It’s very interesting that there are several references of Golden Sun since Aces came out. It shows that they do care for it. Now they just need to see that demand is there. Unless they know now and have already gone to work?
It's hard to know. Ideally I'd like to believe the ballot results were not only for Sakurai but that he shared those with Nintendo to take into account. If that's true and Nintendo kept close eye on everything that happened since last year with our Fandom then hopefully they already let them know and have taking the matter on their hands (which could be given we haven't gotten any updates on what is Camelot working in). Sadly, we will only know once they announce something

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ideally, which direction would you want a new Golden Sun to go? A sequel to DD or a remake of the first two games?

I'm conflicted because for one, I hate cliffhanger endings but clearly Golden Sun nostalgia is at an all time high with Isaac's Smash popularity and Nintendo would be wise to capitalize on that. A remake would allow the newer generation to experience those classics and Isaac would have #Relevancy on his side.

Of course, if they did go that route then low-key I kinda hope they retcon DD and just continue with Isaac's journeys. Like a Golden Sun 2.5 of sorts in the immediate aftermath of The Lost Age.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Ideally, which direction would you want a new Golden Sun to go? A sequel to DD or a remake of the first two games?

I'm conflicted because for one, I hate cliffhanger endings but clearly Golden Sun nostalgia is at an all time high with Isaac's Smash popularity and Nintendo would be wise to capitalize on that. A remake would allow the newer generation to experience those classics and Isaac would have #Relevancy on his side.

Of course, if they did go that route then low-key I kinda hope they retcon DD and just continue with Isaac's journeys. Like a Golden Sun 2.5 of sorts in the immediate aftermath of The Lost Age.
A remake would be the best route to go. There are new people who have yet to play Golden Sun and jumping into a 4th game would confuse newcomers. With a remake, more hype would be generated for a 4th game and more people will want Isaac in Smash.

DogManStar

Smash Ace

I prefer remakes. I think we could see a lot of interesting new takes on the locations and visuals of the original games, and we could get some improvements on gameplay and dialogue. There could be more games with Isaac too, but hopefully we’d also see Matthew again and maybe new worlds using the same mechanics as Weyard’s alchemy somewhere down the road.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even though Isaac isn't that likely....at this point there aren't many characters that could be considered likely. (definitely nobody I'd call a "lock") It's feeling very much like an open contest.

The only characters that seem likely are the ones like Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer because of the leakers. (and even Ryu is somewhat questionable now due to him appearing as a guest in that other "Ultimate" game)
What leaks are you speaking of? I was very skeptical of leaks at first, but am now believing them more after all what happened...

Why not all of that? Make a first Golden Sun remake that’s basically the first game plus TLA. Then make a second game which preludes, includes and continues on Dark Dawn?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What leaks are you speaking of? I was very skeptical of leaks at first, but am now believing them more after all what happened...

Why not all of that? Make a first Golden Sun remake that’s basically the first game plus TLA. Then make a second game which preludes, includes and continues on Dark Dawn?
To be honest I can't point you to a specific leak (because I haven't paid that much attention) but I've seen a number of different Youtubers talking about these characters as "leaks".

Though as I mentioned before, Ryu Hayabusa was recently confirmed to appear in Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate. So some people are thinking that maybe the leakers were mistaken in thinking Ryu Hayabusa was coming to Smash Bros Ultimate.

As for what Golden Sun game I'd want, definitely a remake of the first two games. I think it would be the best way to make sure everyone is on the same page before moving on with the series.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

It has been too long since that cliffhanger, it wouldn't be the best idea to just retake it from there as if it hasn't been almost a decade since that so I think the best we can get is a remake that includes the first two or at least a remaster of those, helps people to fall in love with story, helps bring in new people to the Fandom and also boosts Isaac's and Felix's popularity even further.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Isaac makes it, I have no doubt that Felix might be an alt or Echo of him seeing the recent newcomers and the overall approach of Ultimate.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If Isaac makes it, I have no doubt that Felix might be an alt or Echo of him seeing the recent newcomers and the overall approach of Ultimate.
Felix is my favorite GS character besides Alex so that’d be cool.

Alex Mii costume would be the icing on the cake.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice

A remake would be better. First, because you already don't need writers and artists because you already have the plot, the dialogues and the design of the towns, characters and monsters (obviously, they would need to hire some artist to do a "remake" of characters designs, but the designs are there, so they wouldn't have to create new things from the scratch). And second, because with a remake they can introduce some elements in the story and the plot in order to reconnect with Dark Dawn. Add some mention in the library of Lemuria about some "new" civilization of Dark Dawn, add some random dialogue in one or two NPC mentioning some town that appears in DD, add some cutscene after the end of TLA of how Wyvern is starting to change and the wall is appearing slowly... Things like that can help a lot to reduce some criticism and can add new plots for future sequels or prequels.

But IMO, if they decided to do a remake, they would remake the first game only. I would hate that, but a remake of the two games would cost a lot unless they removed some dungeons and towns...

DoomGuy and Ryu Hayabusa were mentioned in one of the first "leaks" post Joker announcement which mentioned the characters of the season pass were Joker, Erdrick, Steve and the other of the above. That leak was already proved false when some of the Joker moveset didn't match with the current one, but that leak was the one which mentioned Doomguy as a possible character, being the reason of the bandwagon.
Also, IIRC, Ryu Hayabusa was rumoured days before of the nintendo direct as the 4th character because some insiders said there were rumors in their sources. And after the Terry reveal, some of them mentioned there were still huge rumours he is still in the season pass.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
DoomGuy and Ryu Hayabusa were mentioned in one of the first "leaks" post Joker announcement which mentioned the characters of the season pass were Joker, Erdrick, Steve and the other of the above. That leak was already proved false when some of the Joker moveset didn't match with the current one, but that leak was the one which mentioned Doomguy as a possible character, being the reason of the bandwagon.
Also, IIRC, Ryu Hayabusa was rumoured days before of the nintendo direct as the 4th character because some insiders said there were rumors in their sources. And after the Terry reveal, some of them mentioned there were still huge rumours he is still in the season pass.
So does that mean there aren't any more plausible rumours of Doomguy being in the fighter pass? Ryu Hayabusa is the only real "leak" character at the moment?

Does Vergeben say it's Ryu as well?

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
So does that mean there aren't any more plausible rumours of Doomguy being in the fighter pass? Ryu Hayabusa is the only real "leak" character at the moment?

Does Vergeben say it's Ryu as well?
About Doomguy, yes and not. There's still that statement of some employer of Bethesda who said they spoke with Nintendo about Smash. IMO I think that statement was more on the vibes of "Hey, I want to play Smash!" rather than discussing the addition of a new character from bethesda but who knows.

Regarding Ryu, I read about it in the Geno thread, but Vergeben didnt say anything about Ryu, I believe. It was more of supposed "insiders"; personaly I wouldn't pay attention to them. If some big insider (Vergeben, Sabi, folks of resetera, etc.) said something about Ryu, we would have already known.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
True I would just rather have an immediate follow up to The Lost Age since I think there was more that could have been done before the timeskip. Like, the immediate aftermath of Alchemy being reintroduced to the world and how the world changes.
TBH, I kinda prefer Felix over Isaac myself so this would be a welcome addition. Hopefully he's an Echo Fighter with very slightly altered stats from Isaac. Like, make him just a little bit stronger but a bit slower. Enough that only competitive Smash players will know the difference lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True I would just rather have an immediate follow up to The Lost Age since I think there was more that could have been done before the timeskip. Like, the immediate aftermath of Alchemy being reintroduced to the world and how the world changes.

TBH, I kinda prefer Felix over Isaac myself so this would be a welcome addition. Hopefully he's an Echo Fighter with very slightly altered stats from Isaac. Like, make him just a little bit stronger but a bit slower. Enough that only competitive Smash players will know the difference lol.
If there’s gonna be Echo DLC fighters, I’m predicting they will be more akin to Chrom and Ken instead of Dark Pit and Richter honestly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If there’s gonna be Echo DLC fighters, I’m predicting they will be more akin to Chrom and Ken instead of Dark Pit and Richter honestly.
True but like the properties of Felix' psynergy can be a bit different from that of Isaac's. Maybe his Move Side Special (assuming something akin to SSF2) goes really fast but can't be controlled instead of Isaac's that goes slower but can be used to attack. Give his other specials like Gaia, Ragnok, Growth, etc. their own properties to distinguish himself. That's not even to account for the height difference between the two similar to Marthcina in Smash 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A remaster of the first two games. Update the look but keep the feel of Golden Sun, Put the games into a single cartridge, Add in new content like X1D is doing, Etc. I think it's been too long since the Dark Dawn cliffhanger that most people just don't care anymore and so we could also retcon that out and continue with Isaac's story. Plus from what I can gather more people care about Isaac than Matthew. I feel that would be the best course of action.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Isaac was imbued with some of the rising Golden Sun's power by the Wise One. That they completely ignored that in DD was really lame to me.

I assume the original plan was not to have a time skip and the third one would've taken place soon after Lost Age. Instead, a dozen Mario spin offs happened and a time skip was the best way to reestablish the story.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Well, the thing with Advance Wars is that the interviewers have recently asked for a new entry to their creators. Even if that's not that big, at least they know there're a bit of demand. Besides, considering that FE:H were done by a few people from IS (IRC, only 15 people were credited when they have 100 or more employees), and key people who are missing in the credits also participated in AW, a new entry is definitely a possibility.
I wish there were interviews from the west with the Takahashi brothers when MTA was launched. I'd have loved some questions regarding the future of Golden Sun. I was really surprised when they commented about the Sol Sanctum temple in that japanese interview.
Could you point me towards that Sol Sanctum interview? I would like to read it!

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Felix showing up in the middle of an Isaac reveal would be incredible. Imagine the reactions

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Felix showing up in the middle of an Isaac reveal would be incredible. Imagine the reactions
Golden Sun fans: "Holy Crap, this is amazing thank you Sakurai you mad genius!"
Other people: "Who is this Fire Emblem character crashing Isaac's reveal?"

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun fans: "Holy Crap, this is amazing thank you Sakurai you mad genius!"
Other people: "Who is this Fire Emblem character crashing Isaac's reveal?"
Literally how it would go down and one of the reasons I have always pushed for Isaac instead of Felix. We took a lot of time to make Isaac a recognizable face

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A remaster of the first two games. Update the look but keep the feel of Golden Sun, Put the games into a single cartridge, Add in new content like X1D is doing, Etc. I think it's been too long since the Dark Dawn cliffhanger that most people just don't care anymore and so we could also retcon that out and continue with Isaac's story. Plus from what I can gather more people care about Isaac than Matthew. I feel that would be the best course of action.
Yeah come to think of it, the DD cliffhanger is almost a decade old now. It's pretty surreal when you think we've spent longer between DD and now then we did TLA to DD. Maybe if this were like 2012-2015 we could have gotten a sequel but people probably don't even care about that game anymore lol.

It's a shame though because I wanted to see the immediate follow up. It looked like things were being set up where Alex would be the final boss but instead, we're going to have to wait another decade for that lmao.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Yeah come to think of it, the DD cliffhanger is almost a decade old now. It's pretty surreal when you think we've spent longer between DD and now then we did TLA to DD. Maybe if this were like 2012-2015 we could have gotten a sequel but people probably don't even care about that game anymore lol.

It's a shame though because I wanted to see the immediate follow up. It looked like things were being set up where Alex would be the final boss but instead, we're going to have to wait another decade for that lmao.
That we get a remake doesn't mean we can't get resolution on DD's cliffhanger, the remake could serve as introduction and for sparking new life to the franchise to keep moving on afterwards

DogManStar

Smash Ace

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see why they would just throw out everything established in Dark Dawn. While that game might have not been the best, I'm sure it's lore could easily be kept if the game was refined as part of a re-release.

Besides, I liked the designs of the DD cast even if they were a bit one-dimensional at times. (Just give Himi some actual character, dangit.)

Remaking TBS and TLA would likely take precedence, however.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That we get a remake doesn't mean we can't get resolution on DD's cliffhanger, the remake could serve as introduction and for sparking new life to the franchise to keep moving on afterwards
Yeah but between getting a remake and then a new version of DD followed by a follow up to that remake it'll be like a decade almost lol.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Yeah but between getting a remake and then a new version of DD followed by a follow up to that remake it'll be like a decade almost lol.
Or I’d be okay if we got remakes and then they just went to a different direction.

I didn’t hate DD at all, but if they decided to make a different sequel instead I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

I’d prefer we got more Warriors of Vale stuff than a story about their kids. Or just a brand new story a hundred years later or something.

ZelDan

Smash Master
yeah, remakes or remasters would definitely be the best thing to do instead of GS4. Newbies probably would find it hard to get excited for a GS4 when they'll know they have to go through 3 games before they ca play the fourth game (3 games that are very hard to get at that, unless they have a Wii U for the first 2). Even fans of GS might largely not care for a 4th game when it's been close to a decade since DD, and when the game wasn't anywhere near as positively received in the first place.

Remaking/Remastering and addressing whatever issues the original games had won't only interest people who haven't played the series before, but also us veterans.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If there's a remake I don't know if Camelot has the budget and man-power to make it fully 3D. Specially when there's also dungeons that would need to be redesigned because they were made with the 2D perspective in mind (Looking at you wooden pillars everywhere).
1 and TLA combined are probably as big as Dragon Quest XI yikes.

Maybe an approach like Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch might work. A 2D overworld with a chibi MC and after entering towns and dungeons, the game goes full 3D.

D

Deleted member

Agreed! We’ve supposedly only hit one peak. There’s nothing stopping us to support Isaac and go beyond another peak. We can’t go back anyway.
View attachment 237431
Somewhat relevant to what I’m talking about. Lol
You never know if Isaac can be a fighter unless we try. It’s only truly over when DLC is done.
I understand the reference, and I actually knew the character without requiring a trip to Know Your Meme.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there's a remake I don't know if Camelot has the budget and man-power to make it fully 3D. Specially when there's also dungeons that would need to be redesigned because they were made with the 2D perspective in mind (Looking at you wooden pillars everywhere).
1 and TLA combined are probably as big as Dragon Quest XI yikes.

Maybe an approach like Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch might work. A 2D overworld with a chibi MC and after entering towns and dungeons, the game goes full 3D.
I don't see why a remake couldn't keep things 2D, or at least 3D with the same perspective.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind a non-3D remake, but I think it's probably still possible to be 3D. It's hard to say what kind of visual style they might end up using if it is 3D. All I'm hoping for is that the games will exist and be very good... That's what matters most to me

Icana

Smash Apprentice
A Golden Sun remake or sequel would need to look unique and special to stand out from the pack today. On the GBA, the game was the graphical showcase of the machine with its 3D tricks and particle effects, and stunning music coming out of those tiny speakers. Golden Sun first got on the radar for it's production values on those stunning summons, and Titan Blade unleashes. The rest of the game (dungeons, battles, djinn, story) helped put the title on the map and cross that million world-wide.

I think games like Octopath Traveler garnered attention for it's unique use of the Unreal 4 engine for a classic sprite game.

With Golden Sun, they can go in several directions that aren't triple A. Maybe they can work with, say, Arc System Works and have that Dragon Ball fighterz/ Granblue Fantasy Versus/Guilty Gear artstyle tailored for a traditional Golden Sun RPG.

Grandblue Versus trailer:

Or they can try and push for detailed HD sprites and make a modern Golden Sun/SNES game using today's advanced tech and art knowledge to make a graphically pleasing 2D game for the modern era.

Or they can go for Zelda like cel-shading, but that seems expensive to nail down, and I don't know if Camelot's artists or whoever they outsource to would be able to help Golden Sun stand out in that style without a Zelda budget or resources. Dark Dawn didn't really catch anyone's attention with it's reveal trailer beyond us hardcore fans who freaked out over Reggie saying the name "Golden Sun DS."

Golden Sun DS trailer:

And here's a trailer for Golden Sun "Dark Dawn":

And finally here's footage of the original Golden Sun on GBA:

I think I saw that footage at a KB toys store a loooong time ago. I also remember this little video that played on Golden Sun's website with fondness:

I don't know how Golden Sun should come back, but I hope it does and is still able to engross us in its fantasy setting, lore, and magic. My hope is that our momentum from last year could yet pay-off in the next year or two from now and we'll see our Golden Sun Re-Risen, be it in Smash, a remake, or a new game.

ZelDan

Smash Master
A Golden Sun remake or sequel would need to look unique and special to stand out from the pack today. On the GBA, the game was the graphical showcase of the machine with its 3D tricks and particle effects, and stunning music coming out of those tiny speakers. Golden Sun first got on the radar for it's production values on those stunning summons, and Titan Blade unleashes. The rest of the game (dungeons, battles, djinn, story) helped put the title on the map and cross that million world-wide.

I think games like Octopath Traveler garnered attention for it's unique use of the Unreal 4 engine for a classic sprite game.

With Golden Sun, they can go in several directions that aren't triple A. Maybe they can work with, say, Arc System Works and have that Dragon Ball fighterz/ Granblue Fantasy Versus/Guilty Gear artstyle tailored for a traditional Golden Sun RPG.

Or they can try and push for detailed HD sprites and make a modern Golden Sun/SNES game using today's advanced tech and art knowledge to make a graphically pleasing 2D game for the modern era.

Or they can go for Zelda like cel-shading, but that seems expensive to nail down, and I don't know if Camelot's artists or whoever they outsource to would be able to help Golden Sun stand out in that style without a Zelda budget or resources. Dark Dawn didn't really catch anyone's attention with it's reveal trailer beyond us hardcore fans who freaked out over Reggie saying the name "Golden Sun DS."

Golden Sun DS trailer:

I think I saw that footage at a KB toys store a loooong time ago. I also remember this little video that played on Golden Sun's website with fondness:

I don't know how Golden Sun should come back, but I hope it does and is still able to engross us in its fantasy setting, lore, and magic. My hope is that our momentum from last year could yet pay-off in the next year or two from now and we'll see our Golden Sun Re-Risen, be it in Smash, a remake, or a new game.
First (and only time AFAIK) time we get to verbally hear actual words come from Isaac, and not just a bunch of screaming from his ATs.

Imagine if, Isaac were to be added in Smash, they actually gave him a voice close to this one. That'd be one hell of a call back.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Golden Sun DS trailer:

I'd really like to see them try to go for a SNES/GBA-style with the higher detail modern technology affords. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's something a big studio has tried out.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
The dream is back on. Isaac is pretty much the number one boy for me now that Banjo is in (probably tied with Geno depending on the day). Seeing everyone lose their minds over in the Banjo thread was really something, and I'm here to say I wanna see that again.

Top Bottom