• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Random question.

What time period do you think GS takes place in?
A bit hard to tell. Golden Sun is basically a medieval post apocalyptic setting.
Humanity has drasticly regressed to what would be a high/medium middle-age.
Looking at the armors you can get, we never see full plate, but we see some half plate and helmets. So I would say most of the world is around 11th to 13th century level of technology.

But it varies a lot depending on the areas, as said before Tolbi seems to be a mix of Roman and Greek empires. And of course Lemuria is...out of time, to say the least.

In DD it's even "worse" as technology is rapidly evolving, we can see it in Matthew's clothes for example, which are way more steampunk than 30 years ago. It looks like his vest is made of jeans or something, i'd say some areas are getting closer to victorian era. While others are getting to 15th to 17th century.

That's broad estimation, I am no historian.

Khonz

Smash Rookie
Golden Sun in Smash Ultimate!

Assist Trophy
| Isaac |

Mii Swordfighter Costume
| Isaac |
View attachment 180215View attachment 180216

Music Tracks
| Battle Scene / Final Boss (Remix) - from Brawl |

| Weyard (Original) - from Smash 4 |

Spirits
| Isaac | Garet | Ivan | Mia | Felix | Jenna | Matthew | Isaac (Dark Dawn) |

View attachment 180224View attachment 180225View attachment 180227View attachment 180226
View attachment 180228View attachment 180223
View attachment 180229View attachment 180230
Put Oddish in smash please!!!! (S)he will be my NEW MAIN!!!!!

ZelDan

Smash Master
yup, we really could use more pokemon newcomers. Feel that series is pretty lacking in Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It is baffling to me that Camelot STILL is only making sports games. I'm kind of scared to see what's going to come out of E3 this year for that reason alone. If they announce Mario Golf I'm going to be disappointed.

They're a very talented studio. I feel like that's going to waste on Sports games. I feel like there are plenty of other studios that can do that and let Camelot do their own thing.

It's crazy to think that Golden Sun COULD be as big as Fire Emblem or Xenoblade but it just hasn't been given the chance... and that's a shame.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
When you think about it, the first Golden Sun is a miracle. All the stars were aligned.
Camelot came out of their last RPG being a disaster, poor writing, dated graphics, balance totally wrecked... which is a good thing for GS, because it made them reconsider and learn from their mistakes. They started to work for a n64 rpg, with 3D battles, basically they were trying to make the FF7 of nintendo.
But Nintendo was lucid enough to see that the N64 wasn't selling that well, and was nearing the end of its lifespan. But they had a new handheld console about as powerful as a super nintendo coming out soon, and they needed games for it. They asked the project to be adapted to it.
Even the fact that the game was too big for one cartridge was a good thing. Cutting it in two allowed them to finish the first part, release it, and have time to finish the second part despite launching the game with the console.
So they made a game fixing all the issues of their last RPG: better graphics, better balancing, better story, deeper gameplay.
And even without a proper marketing, ad with no relation to the game (but lets be honest, most ads of this period were weird anyway), the game sold amazingly well.

With Dark Dawn the miracle didn't happen for a few reasons. First, of course, the lack of advertisement, but also the fact that it was a sequel and that some people wouldn't not be interrested without playing the first games.
Plus released on a console at the end of its lifespan, right before the release of the new generation of handheld. Despite the fact that "Golden Sun 3D" would have made a super good title, 'cause 3rd game is in 3D and all.
Of course DD had its own flaws (less than what haters say) but looking at Camelot's history, it's actually a good thing.
Because now, the Switchis booming. Camelot can learn from past mistakes, they can bring their A game again.
I genuinely think they will, sooner or later. The smarter plan on long term would be a full on remake of the original games. Calling it the complete title "Golden Sun: The broken seal" and in GS 4, summarize the event of DD and pick up where it left of. As I explained before, having the first quarter/third of the game investigating the Eclipse and learning of what happened in DD through it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It is baffling to me that Camelot STILL is only making sports games. I'm kind of scared to see what's going to come out of E3 this year for that reason alone. If they announce Mario Golf I'm going to be disappointed.

They're a very talented studio. I feel like that's going to waste on Sports games. I feel like there are plenty of other studios that can do that and let Camelot do their own thing.

It's crazy to think that Golden Sun COULD be as big as Fire Emblem or Xenoblade but it just hasn't been given the chance... and that's a shame.
I mean, they were a very talented studio. Perhaps the potential is still there, but it's been a while since they've had a game attract a lot of clout. And RPGs are a lot more intensive and involved than most sports titles. I hope they'd still be able to create an experience that earned future follow-ups in an area they've not tackled successfully for a long time.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, they were a very talented studio. Perhaps the potential is still there, but it's been a while since they've had a game attract a lot of clout. And RPGs are a lot more intensive and involved than most sports titles. I hope they'd still be able to create an experience that earned future follow-ups in an area they've not tackled successfully for a long time.
Well, if need be it'd be nice if another studio could maybe help out camelot with a hypothetical Golden Sun, like Monolith Soft or maybe Intelligent Systems.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
This whole theory going around that we could possibly be due for more fighter passes after the first five characters sure has me hoping for Isaacs chances cause no doubt we are a long way away from smash 6. I can’t help but wonder if Nintendo purposely held back some fan favorites in this one to ensure that hype will be at max for the sequel we might get. If king K. Rool got in despite relevancy could Isaac just not quite be demanded enough or maybe nintendo is just saving him for next smash and doesn’t want him as dlc for this one?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Does Mario Tennis still have unique power shots like Mario Kart did?

If so, that would make it even better~
When did Mario Kart have "unique power shots"? Double Dash's signature items are the closest thing I can think of.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This whole theory going around that we could possibly be due for more fighter passes after the first five characters sure has me hoping for Isaacs chances cause no doubt we are a long way away from smash 6. I can’t help but wonder if Nintendo purposely held back some fan favorites in this one to ensure that hype will be at max for the sequel we might get. If king K. Rool got in despite relevancy could Isaac just not quite be demanded enough or maybe nintendo is just saving him for next smash and doesn’t want him as dlc for this one?
I wouldn't put it as purposely holding fan favorites back, it was more like they didn't have enough dev time to put as much fully fledged newcomers as usual and Isaac was just a lower priority character that would take time to make unlike a lot of the clone characters we got. But the popularity of certain fan favorites does open the possibility of them reconsidering certain characters in assist trophy/spirit roles with more fighter pass packs in the future

Tetiro

Smash Ace
You'd be surpised how much Japanese artists who draw a lot of Golden Sun art I've seen on Twitter
I've been seeing that too and it is amazing. Fans all over the world are appearing these days

EDIT (Psst everyone. Painting on the cosplay is going well. Not much else to say on it. Not long now!)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With all the DLC the game is still getting you'd think they could throw the fanbase a bone. :p
Isaac would require too many original assets. I mean, these guys have been stuck in a rut making Mario games for years now, one would hope they still remember how to design GS characters...

Someone in Japan who cares about Isaac, howbowdat
The style seems familiar. Is it the person who did this?

AR2EdNS.png

I wouldn't put it as purposely holding fan favorites back, it was more like they didn't have enough dev time to put as much fully fledged newcomers as usual and Isaac was just a lower priority character that would take time to make unlike a lot of the clone characters we got. But the popularity of certain fan favorites does open the possibility of them reconsidering certain characters in assist trophy/spirit roles with more fighter pass packs in the future
Yeah man, the release window was so short that they had to leave out staple modes so that they could prioritize everyone being here in time. In any case, the question is who would be the simplest character to make the transition to playable.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
hilariously enough, my profile pic already had reggie in it before today (he was hiding in the corner)

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I think the first E3 I ever watched live was the one where Reggie announced Dark Dawn. I remember thinking "Oh my God! Another Golden Sun game! I have to go buy it!" I had a legitimate asleep at night dream a while back before his retirement announcement that he would announce Golden Sun 4. Pile that one with the other dead dreams.

I watched a Grinch leak recap video today. I've never been more engaged or excited about any game ever than I was on that week. In a way, I think that fake leak happening was possibly the best case scenario after Isaac getting in, as suddenly everyone was once again _very_ vocal about their support. And the Golden Sunday and letter writing campaigns...

Man, I've still got a glimmer of hope for playable representation from Golden Sun in Smash. My perfect scenario would be a female Venus Adept from a prequel game about sealing Alchemy, on the Switch. You don't want to do another sequel after the series was so dormant. A standalone reboot is what you need. And Smash cross promotion would be just the ticket, and a new character would get them around having Isaac already represented. Maaaaan...

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Been awhile since I’ve been here. Been on Twitter mostly spreading awareness of Isaac and Golden Sun as much as I am able to. Hope things are going well for you all! Never give up the fight to bring GS back and to get Isaac in as a fighter! I sure won’t!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonicLink125/status/1112871514578202624
My attempt at an April Fools. I’m not that great at it.

24551010-616D-4BE8-BEC4-FFC0667AC7FF.jpeg

I do like my Reggie profile pic though! lol

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Looks like it's over. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. I'm pretty sure that the ReggieBoards theme still exists (probably premium exclusive alongside the other April Fools themes) but it's a fun way to pay homage to good ol' Reggie.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
My body was ready before Golden Sun was even a thing and it ain't gonna stop anytime soon

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
This past weekend at PAX East I saw the same Isaac cosplayer I met the previous year. We talked briefly, including our shared disappointment he wasn't in Smash after all (boy were we hopeful a year ago), and we agreed that it was more important than ever to make our voices heard. Don't know when exactly our next Golden Sunday or letter campaign is, but I'm ready whenever y'all are.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
This past weekend at PAX East I saw the same Isaac cosplayer I met the previous year. We talked briefly, including our shared disappointment he wasn't in Smash after all (boy were we hopeful a year ago), and we agreed that it was more important than ever to make our voices heard. Don't know when exactly our next Golden Sunday or letter campaign is, but I'm ready whenever y'all are.
April 15th.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm going to make a video for Golden Sunday. I think I want to stay away from a reactionary or anecdotal take, but instead talk about the aspects of the games that stood out to me. A couple topics I want to hit:
  • Endurance with PP management, random encounters, consumables, ect. How setting out from a town felt like an endeavor and the value of basic attack.
  • Puzzle design, contextually incorporated and easily understood, but variant.
  • Djinn/summons/secrets as exploration rewards and those feeling weighty.
  • Extensiveness of such secrets, like Crossbone Isle early
  • Variance in gameplay, such as the Colosso Finals, Lucky Medal minigames and Desert heat meters
I'm replaying on my phone, so I don't have any B-roll of the game. Anyone got any paythrough footage that I could use for the background?

Top Bottom