• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I thought it said that there are more than just one unannounced title. One being online based and the other being something fans will be delighted for?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, convince me to buy Mario Tennis Aces. Diddy Kong's re-entrance has semi-convinced me, but I need more. I only ever played Mario Power Tennis in the franchise, but does this live up to it's quality? Because I felt that Power Tennis was actually quite fun.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay, convince me to buy Mario Tennis Aces. Diddy Kong's re-entrance has semi-convinced me, but I need more. I only ever played Mario Power Tennis in the franchise, but does this live up to it's quality? Because I felt that Power Tennis was actually quite fun.
Hmm... At it's core it's a fun game, more so if you have other people you can play with. The power ups are interesting and there is room for strategy in the matches along with skill. Plus I was pretty stoked to get to play as a Chain-chomp....

...that said after less than a week with the game I was bored of the game and eventually sold it off. The single player was massively disappointing and the difficulty is all over the place, being boringly easy at times and borderline impossible later in the same section. The online experience faded pretty quickly and laggy matches caused such a frustrating experience when I throws off your whole tournament, more so than even having to deal with laggy players in Smash.

I'm sure other may have enjoyed it more than I did but this was the first Switch game I truly regretted purchasing.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I finished the pyjama shirt 2 days before I was meant to! And the trouser fabric has yet to arrive.

That means for the next 2 days I can draw the templates for Isaac's tunic, jacket, trousers and greaves/weird leg thing etc etc. Who knows, I could really make magic work if I put my heart into the next two days!

• Tunic
  • Jacket
  • Trousers
  • Greaves
  • Gloves (Can't do until proper patterns arrive)
  • Belt
  • Straps
And magic work was indeed made! I have done so many patterns and templates today! The snow here has benefited my cosplay greatly

• Trousers patterns are drawn!
  • Half of the Tunic patterns are drawn!
  • Belt pattern is drawn!
  • Weapon Harness Strap patterns are drawn!
  • Belt Bucket (Square and Semi Circle) patterns are drawn!
  • The Armour Plate is drawn!!!
Tomorrow if I have time I will be doing the Jacket and the remainder of the Tunic. And if that all gets done, then I will start making the Belt Buckle.

I'm crazy busy with this cosplay!

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Take your time^^ even though we're eager to see it !

Also about Mario Maker, sure it's would be neat. But something to be "delighted" about ? Another port ?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Take your time^^ even though we're eager to see it !

Also about Mario Maker, sure it's would be neat. But something to be "delighted" about ? Another port ?
It could be anything really. F-Zero, Golden Sun, etc. It could be something that will not be what we’re thinking which is what I expect honestly. But we’ll see.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm not placing my bets that the secret Switch game they are talking about is Golden Sun but the fact that I've seen many people hoping that it is Golden Sun on Twitter is really cool to see

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
really, if we get through the next Direct (whenever that's happening; it's odd they only did the Nindies one in Jan) without them revealing another Camelot game like Mario Golf, you could take that as a minor victory

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Every day that goes by without a Mario Golf game on Switch is a victory for Golden Sun.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys sorry for a longish absence! Got a new job so I am trying to get a hang on the schedule and new things ugh! However I haven't forgotten! I come here with some updates regarding the fanzine I took part in : we just got a first draft from the organizers so I am assuming it won't take much more time for it to be fully done~

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Now that we've gotten through one active push for the bring Golden Sun back campaign. Any ideas on what you expect to happen? Just to be clear, I'm more so talking months down the line and into next year in general after more active campaigning. Like do you see Nintendo actively acknowledging the fan demand of the return to Golden Sun, kind of like the awareness of Mother 3. Or will one day we watch an E3 and a Golden Sun game will be announced, so it'll be like, oh hey the campaign worked. There's likely no precedent, but just wondering on whether anyone would find Nintendo's lack of acknowledgement a bad thing for the campaign or not.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Now that we've gotten through one active push for the bring Golden Sun back campaign. Any ideas on what you expect to happen? Just to be clear, I'm more so talking months down the line and into next year in general after more active campaigning. Like do you see Nintendo actively acknowledging the fan demand of the return to Golden Sun, kind of like the awareness of Mother 3. Or will one day we watch an E3 and a Golden Sun game will be announced, so it'll be like, oh hey the campaign worked. There's likely no precedent, but just wondering on whether anyone would find Nintendo's lack of acknowledgement a bad thing for the campaign or not.
Well you'd probably expect Camelot to come out with a game of some kind by 2020-2021 at the very latest, given that Aces was in mid-2018 but did have updates and DLC post-launch. So I guess it depends on what that project is. It could be GS, and it could be Golf or something else entirely. If Camelot announces a new game other than GS, then some longer-term planning might be necessary to keep the campaign running.

Hopefully we'll know what Camelot is working on soon, perhaps by the end of E3, and from there the path ahead will be clearer.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
It takes Camelot 1-2 year gaps between games. So their next title will be either 2019 or 2020. In a worst case, it will be 2022.

But we have to keep the activity going no matter how long we wait. We must make our pleas heard

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I've always felt that we see a new GS game sometime this year, actually. My personal theory is that a small group of Camelot important people like the Takahashi Bros. had started development on a GS-related project in like 2017, after they found out about Isaac's popularity in the Smash Ballot. They probably went to another company to help, most likely Monolith, who were wrapping up development on XB2. Once Aces was released in 2018, development shifted back to Camelot, with a small team continuing to update Aces. I think we see something about it this year, probably at E3, and the game is released late 2019 or early 2020.

In summary, I think we get what we want, sooner than some people might expect. Honestly, I doubt our current campaign will have much of an effect, since the decision would have been made years ago. If anything, it'll at least help reenforce that Nintendo/Camelot made the right decision, since the growing popularity of the series without a new game probably looks good to executives worried about the risk involved.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
As much as I want to believe that speculation, it seems very unlikely that nothing would have leaked.
I mean we do have the IP renewal. And it would honestly be best timeline if it was true.
But i doubt it. We'll see what Nintendo expects us to be "delighted" about soon.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want to believe that speculation, it seems very unlikely that nothing would have leaked.
I mean we do have the IP renewal. And it would honestly be best timeline if it was true.
But i doubt it. We'll see what Nintendo expects us to be "delighted" about soon.
Well as far as I know, nothing leaked for Dark Dawn either. My guess would be Camelot is a relatively small studio, not subjected to the same scrutiny as say, Game Freak or Creatures, Inc.

All the stars are aligned, RPGs and Story Driven games are back and in force. Octopath was a huge success, the ballot showed Isaac's still popular, then reactions to his assist trophy show he's still cared for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When will that be? xP
Probably in 10 years. :4pacman:

Or at least sometime after the Switch eventually stops getting support.

Well as far as I know, nothing leaked for Dark Dawn either. My guess would be Camelot is a relatively small studio, not subjected to the same scrutiny as say, Game Freak or Creatures, Inc.

All the stars are aligned, RPGs and Story Driven games are back and in force. Octopath was a huge success, the ballot showed Isaac's still popular, then reactions to his assist trophy show he's still cared for.
Though Camelot does need some bolstering for their skills again. MT Aces is a start, but GS will be a bigger undertaking.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys; been a while. Hope everybody's good.
Glad to see you guys are keeping this place alive.

Been playing Pokemon Moon again, managed to finish it the other day and currently SRing for UBs.
Been feeling a lot more hyped for Pokemon in general; hope the 8th Gen announcement happens soon.

Off-topic combo-breaker post

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Smash 6.
Like Organization XIII Organization XIII said, I'd like to think we can do better if we are talking in terms of hopefully!

Here we go:
* Mario Tennis Aces guest character.
* Then again with a GS1&2 remake to be announced soon that's already deep into development
* Smash Ultimate DLC Round 2 along with other highly requested characters.
* Golden Sun 4
* Golden Sun Warriors or some other tasteful, spin-off
* THEN Smash 6

Alright, all fixed. Can't have too much Isaac ;)

... Now if we are talking realistically...

* Mario Tennis Aces guest character. (lol)
* Then again with a GS1&2 remake to be announced soon that's already deep into development (I mean, it's possible, but I doubt it's that far along if it happens)
* Smash Ultimate DLC Round 2 along with other highly requested characters. (Don't get hopes up for Round 2 unless they actually announce Round 2)
* Golden Sun 4 (Possible, if we keep campaigning)
* Golden Sun Warriors or some other tasteful, spin-off (if by some miracle we got this, it would be on the backs off fanservice)
* Smash 6 (Plz don't be a reboot plz don't be a reboot)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Ok hot(?) take: Isaac is basically a lock for the next Smash. They have to have newcomers, and there's no way they don't know about Isaac's demand now. I think Sakurai will finally cave.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Ok hot(?) take: Isaac is basically a lock for the next Smash. They have to have newcomers, and there's no way they don't know about Isaac's demand now. I think Sakurai will finally cave.
I hesitate to call anybody a "lock" for a game that hasn't even been confirmed to be a thing yet, but he has very good chances.

If they took K. Rool off the top of the ballot as the single true winner, then there's a chance that, in the next game, they'd take the next candidate off the top of that stack of characters; based on the data we have there's a solid chance that this could be Isaac. Even if this is not the case and/or they ditch the ballot altogether, it's pretty clear that Nintendo knows Isaac is wanted, so if they are looking at popular characters at all then he'll at least have put himself on the map.

Plus there'll probably be a few years worth of time to get the series revived in time for a hypothetical project plan, which obviously would put him in great position. In terms of unrepped series for the next Smash, it'll probably be GS and Rhythm Heaven as the next ones up, barring certain other things that can happen between now and then, such as a new IP being created or some other series like Advance Wars making a big comeback.

Another huge boon for Isaac will be the strong likelihood of certain vets being cut. The way I see it, there's pretty much no way they'll be able to sell the game with a dramatically smaller roster, but in order to make new characters without overloading them on work, they're gonna have to get rid of some of the extraneous vets. A lot of vets really only made sense to add back for the purposes of "Everyone is Here" and reusing assets from the WIi U, and without those there's little to stand in the way of a new character taking their place.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I hesitate to call anybody a "lock" for a game that hasn't even been confirmed to be a thing yet, but he has very good chances.

If they took K. Rool off the top of the ballot as the single true winner, then there's a chance that, in the next game, they'd take the next candidate off the top of that stack of characters; based on the data we have there's a solid chance that this could be Isaac. Even if this is not the case and/or they ditch the ballot altogether, it's pretty clear that Nintendo knows Isaac is wanted, so if they are looking at popular characters at all then he'll at least have put himself on the map.

Plus there'll probably be a few years worth of time to get the series revived in time for a hypothetical project plan, which obviously would put him in great position. In terms of unrepped series for the next Smash, it'll probably be GS and Rhythm Heaven as the next ones up, barring certain other things that can happen between now and then, such as a new IP being created or some other series like Advance Wars making a big comeback.

Another huge boon for Isaac will be the strong likelihood of certain vets being cut. The way I see it, there's pretty much no way they'll be able to sell the game with a dramatically smaller roster, but in order to make new characters without overloading them on work, they're gonna have to get rid of some of the extraneous vets. A lot of vets really only made sense to add back for the purposes of "Everyone is Here" and reusing assets from the WIi U, and without those there's little to stand in the way of a new character taking their place.
My thoughts exactly. I think the game will be much smaller, and GS is easily the biggest unrepped series. I honestly believe that the only thing that could help our case is another GS. If we get another GS then I'd be more surprised if Isaac is not in the game.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts exactly. I think the game will be much smaller, and GS is easily the biggest unrepped series. I honestly believe that the only thing that could help our case is another GS. If we get another GS then I'd be more surprised if Isaac is not in the game.
If Isaac isn't in by then I think it'd just be wrong by all accounts.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I think it's obvious to see what the ranking of the most important first party IPs got snubbed of a character by looking at the amount of spirits they got and the amount of representation in the game. Rhythm Heaven is the only one that beats Golden Sun in the amount of songs and spirits just beating it by one in those categories but Golden Sun has an assist trophy and a Mii costume which RH lacks. Right after those ones it's Starfy then ARMS concerning the spirit count although since that is a newer game so they probably had less time to get material for it, now that I think about it I'm kind of surprised Rhythm Heaven and Chibi Robo lack an assist trophy considering what happened to other character. But anyway back to my point, Golden Sun having the most love out of non playable series is a good sign, I'll honestly be shocked if we get a new Golden Sun game that sells well and Isaac still doesn't get into Smash

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Isaac cosplay update!

Wow, the Wise One was smiling on me this weekend! I managed to get the Tunic and Jacket sewing patterns completed (meaning until the Glove templates arrive I am done!) and more importantly I did most of the building work on the Armour Plate and Belt Buckle.

DyjMIraWsAAd4JM.jpg

I need to order in some Milliput (gut instinct kicking in) and it tells me I need to order it in. I'll be using that to finish shaping the spherical shapes on the plate and belt.

It's looking good lads! I even had time for a hot chocolate break!

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Right after those ones it's Starfy then ARMS concerning the spirit count although since that is a newer game so they probably had less time to get material for it,
I kinda wonder if ARMS really just isn't that important to Nintendo. Sakurai says the timing was bad and that may have been the case, but it also might be that ARMS has to prove itself a bit more before getting a full PC

We'll see if it gets a sequel

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see the need for Smash to be rebooted with a much smaller roster next game.

You could probably take out and replace the characters who are either the same person as another character (Dr. Mario, Sheik, ZSS), use development time equivalent to more than one character (Pokémon Trainer), or are otherwise fairly easy choices to cut compared to others in the long scheme of things (most of the Ultimate echoes, Pichu, Toon and Young Link)...

...but part of the fun of the recent Smash Bros. games is their unnecessarily huge rosters.

The series, IMO, would lose some of it's charm and uniqueness if they cut the roster size down significantly to (presumably) appeal to the competitive scene.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I kinda wonder if ARMS really just isn't that important to Nintendo. Sakurai says the timing was bad and that may have been the case, but it also might be that ARMS has to prove itself a bit more before getting a full PC

ARMS is kinda in a weird spot. It tried to be a big hit like Splatoon, but didn't really make it that far. It didn't flop but it also didn't blow minds.

But hey, the moveset is there.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I really don't see the need for Smash to be rebooted with a much smaller roster next game.

You could probably take out and replace the characters who are either the same person as another character (Dr. Mario, Sheik, ZSS), use development time equivalent to more than one character (Pokémon Trainer), or are otherwise fairly easy choices to cut compared to others in the long scheme of things (most of the Ultimate echoes, Pichu, Toon and Young Link)...

...but part of the fun of the recent Smash Bros. games is their unnecessarily huge rosters.

The series, IMO, would lose some of it's charm and uniqueness if they cut the roster size down significantly to (presumably) appeal to the competitive scene.
I agree, I think a lot of the reboot talk stems from the idea that the roster could never be any larger but there are other games where they find the sweet spot for gameplay then just focus on expanding the roster with each new installment. I could see them dropping the "everyone is here" to avoid tying their hands from making logical cuts but I don't see why they would need to reboot unless they are making a huge gameplay change, which I don't really feel like I need.

ARMS is kinda in a weird spot. It tried to be a big hit like Splatoon, but didn't really make it that far. It didn't flop but it also didn't blow minds.

I think ARMS landed at a weird time, and is trying to occupy a much more "niche" market than Splatoon was. I know it did well but I don't think it was nearly the hit Splatoon was and I doubt it will ever be more than what it is now. Which probably doesn't necessarily warrant a fighter slot as of now.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
If they took K. Rool off the top of the ballot as the single true winner, then there's a chance that, in the next game, they'd take the next candidate off the top of that stack of characters
Sakurai confirmed on a recent Famitsu column that K.Rool, Ridley and the Belmont were all taken from the ballot.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord

Yeah that's kinda what I was implying

Sakurai confirmed on a recent Famitsu column that K.Rool, Ridley and the Belmont were all taken from the ballot.
K. Rool was almost assuredly the winner of the ballot

With Ridley and Simon, I still don't buy that they were specifically because of the ballot. I'm not saying Sakurai was lying; the ballot likely influenced the decisions. However, I think that both Ridley and Simon both would've made it without the ballot. Ridley only had feasibility issues, and if those were resolved he didn't need ballot support; moreover, there's evidence to suggest that RIdley was below a number of other characters like Isaac on the ballot due to his appearance as a boss in 4. Ridley was picked in part for the fans, but Sakurai's knowledge of his popularity mostly came from outside the ballot. Simon I generally see as a "Sak bias" kind of character, where he may have been moderately popular on the ballot, just enough for Sakurai to notice him. I definitely think that Simon was "mined" or "cherry-picked" so to speak, as there were almost certainly a load of other characters higher than him but for whatever reason Sakurai picked Simon's (probably) lower vote total. In terms of third parties only, idk how Castlevania could've beat out Banjo or Geno based on the evidence we have, and even if those two weren't feasible with IP rights, Rayman (who they already got as a Spirit) and Bomberman (who is notably also Konami) probably did at least as well as Castlevania, if not better. Perhaps even Shantae or Shovel Knight beat Castlevania, but I can see why they'd decide not to pick an indie, especially ones without huge JP support.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And he notes that Dark Samus and Chrom got in due to fan demand.

This is how he described Ridley, before noting the ballot was the main influence of his decision.

So it's likely this is the case too. We have 4 confirmed ballot picks so far, with 2 most likely being the case. Of course, you also have the veterans probably scoring high, and I can imagine many AT's also getting high scores respectively. The ones who can't be are Incineroar(since he set a slot aside for Pokemon, but it didn't exist as a character yet either) and Joker(didn't exist yet). PP seems to not be the case, but there's no evidence either way. It did get in because Sakurai wanted something other than a hero, so chose what counts as a villain, and also because we had picks like Duck Hunt and Mr. Game & Watch. So mostly a surprise in general. Isabelle, Ken, and Inkling possibly got ballot influence. Considering two of them were Mii costumes, there is an implication the ballot helped. Inkling, though, was the only unique one that easily didn't need the ballot in any way to get in. Ken is the only echo that didn't need the ballot either, as he's "the original echo". So once 3rd party echoes were on the table, Ken was an obvious choice.

Top Bottom