• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Things like this make me think that they don't put too much stock in the order of the Assist reveals. It seemed like they just divided them up into somewhat balanced groups so that each group had a few surprises and a few popular characters. This would suggest that they don't see Assists as "disconfirmations" like fans do.

But then again, it was extremely weird to just throw Ashley in at the end of a segment with only NEW Assists (IIRC) and not even announce her properly. Moreover, she was the only one shown in this manner (again, IIRC).

So maybe they know that we're carefully looking at Assist reveals to narrow down the list of potential PCs, or maybe they just try to spread out the notable ones (likely the latter). It's also possible that they do know about us AT hunting in the DIrects, but don't really care about it.
At least she was shown off. Skull Kid and Prince Sable (along with a few others like Phosphora) were just added onto the site right after the direct. I get your point all things considered seeing how she is very popular in Japan, so it sucks for her fans. I really hope they went with the mentality that assist trophies do not disconfirm characters, but the way they went about presenting Piranha plant as a fighter was like "Lol nah bruh he's not an assist, but a fighter for real!" and raises my doubts a bit. Still keeping out hope for assist trophies being upgraded. I just wish they handled this a lot better though to maintain damage control. At the very least, if Polar's source is to be believed then it does raise the prospects that Nintendo higher ups were taken back by the reactions to Isaac's assist, so it may not be all too bad in the long run either.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
While the pacing of reveals of ATs was “bad” per say, I think it was a blessing in disguise for us. Had Isaac been revealed early, we wouldn’t have gotten so much traction as we did. In fact, I’m glad they showed him last. It gave us time to show off who Isaac is, why he would be a great addition to the roster, what is Golden Sun and how it’s such a dear franchise to us all. We got people who even weren’t GS/Isaac fans to root for us and even were disappointed at his AT reveal.

Now, people have Isaac in their head and if he miraculously got revealed for DLC, there won’t be a lot of confused people going, “Who’s this guy?”, “Wait, isn’t he an AT?”. Now, it will be exciting reactions and it will give people hope that ATs CAN be promoted.

Now, we must keep the GS/Isaac Train going even stronger than ever. Only good things can come from it. Time will only be the hard part of it all.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
While the pacing of reveals of ATs was “bad” per say, I think it was a blessing in disguise for us. Had Isaac been revealed early, we wouldn’t have gotten so much traction as we did. In fact, I’m glad they showed him last. It gave us time to show off who Isaac is, why he would be a great addition to the roster, what is Golden Sun and how it’s such a dear franchise to us all. We got people who even weren’t GS/Isaac fans to root for us and even were disappointed at his AT reveal.

Now, people have Isaac in their head and if he miraculously got revealed for DLC, there won’t be a lot of confused people going, “Who’s this guy?”, “Wait, isn’t he an AT?”. Now, it will be exciting reactions and it will give people hope that ATs CAN be promoted.

Now, we must keep the GS/Isaac Train going even stronger than ever. Only good things can come from it. Time will only be the hard part of it all.
True, we might have end up like Waluigi if we never had the time to build up hype for Isaac.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Would Nintendo let some outside business get a hold of early concept art to mess around with though?
And yet leak happens all the time. Maybe the guy had the image since 2016 and leak it to a friend when he thought that no one could retrace him from 2 years old information.

Tbh if the dlc line up whit the Grinch, then we can remove our tin foil hat lol.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I think we can safely say the Grinch leak was a hoax. The creator even came out and confessed after the Nov Direct.

Plus if it was an old version of the Mural, chances are outside sources would not have had access to it. Leaks happen, yes, but some nobody company in France wouldn’t have had access to promotional material of a game that isn’t slated to be announced for another couple of years.

And then there’s the Grinch promo. Same deal. If we’re to believe that image is a couple of years old at the most, then it shouldn’t line up like that.

According to the creator of the leak, the Grinch stuff was a happy accident that helped bolster the validity of the hoax. It’s funny. Of everything that happened, the Grinch leak was real. As in the leaked Grinch promotional material was legitimate, just not the Smash stuff.

Last edited:

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
I think we can safely say the Grinch leak was a hoax. The creator even came out and confessed after the Nov Direct.

Plus if it was an old version of the Mural, chances are outside sources would not have had access to it. Leaks happen, yes, but some nobody company in France wouldn’t have had access to promotional material of a game that isn’t slated to be announced for another couple of years.

And then there’s the Grinch promo. Same deal. If we’re to believe that image is a couple of years old at the most, then it shouldn’t line up like that.

According to the creator of the leak, the Grinch stuff was a happy accident that helped bolster the validity of the hoax. It’s funny. Of everything that happened, the Grinch leak was real. As in the leaked Grinch promotional material was legitimate, just not the Smash stuff.
As fas as i know the real creator of the grinch leak was never found.. it is still a mystery at this point. Some guy claimed he was it but couldnt proof it. The render used by him never appeared somewhere.

Imo grinch is still true. it is the DLC lineup. Incineroar isnt on it because it joined later, after sakurai cut 5 characters to have DLC and a bonus character.

So

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
EDIT: Chorus Kids
Shadow

with Mach Rider bonus

tldr: Grinch was promo material before sakurai cut characters for DLC and added Incineroar after the cut as final rushed character

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
As fas as i know the real creator of the grinch leak was never found.. it is still a mystery at this point. Some guy claimed he was it but couldnt proof it. The render used by him never appeared somewhere.

Imo grinch is still true. it is the DLC lineup. Incineroar isnt on it because it joined later, after sakurai cut 5 characters to have DLC and a bonus character.

So

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
Skull Kid
Shadow

with Mach Rider bonus

tldr: Grinch was promo material before sakurai cut characters for DLC and added Incineroar after the cut as final rushed character
If geno is revealed as our Square Enix character, I will be all for this theory. I hope this comes true!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

So

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
Skull Kid
Shadow

with Mach Rider bonus

Wait, where did Skull Kid come from? Where is Chorus Kids on that list?

I thought that too about a bonus character if you purchased the DLC pass. It would make sense if it was Mach Rider (or maybe Shadow). It will be pretty hilarious if this was true. I don’t expect it though.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
As much as I'd love for that Grinch leak to be true, I doubt it is. And I also doubt he is DLC. But that won't be a bad thing this time.

But I am certain Nintendo now knows how much people want Golden Sun. All noise of THAT calibur gets to Nintendo in some form. From Golden Sunday to the NY Store reaction to Isaac. It is all gettings back to them.

If they were surprised at King K Rool getting highly requested, then the noise from Isaac will have got to them. But we do need to make GS more and more known. The noise can not go down. We must keep it going all through 2019 and to the end of the DLC at the very least.

If we work hard like that, we are certainly getting him in Smash 7. We can make a difference. We just can not stop

(Also I'm expecting no huge characters for the DLC as from a designer perspective I have no idea where they can go that will make sense. We'd need to see what they have first up)

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

So

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
Skull Kid
Shadow

with Mach Rider bonus

You mean Chorus Kids?

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
Chorus Kids
Shadow

and a Mach Rider Bonus

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah i meant chorus kids.. sorry lol .. i edit it

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Ya know what would be neat?

A Golden Sun/Fire Emblem/Xenoblade crossover RPG.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, something like Smash Bros. but an RPG for RPG characters would be sick as hell. I would play the **** outta that

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I would only get it because it has Golden Sun in it. As I’ve stated before, I’m not an RPG guy. I would, however, have Isaac and Roy team up as the GBA Bros. :D (Roy is the only FE character I actually like)

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
As much as I'd love for that Grinch leak to be true, I doubt it is. And I also doubt he is DLC. But that won't be a bad thing this time.

But I am certain Nintendo now knows how much people want Golden Sun. All noise of THAT calibur gets to Nintendo in some form. From Golden Sunday to the NY Store reaction to Isaac. It is all gettings back to them.

If they were surprised at King K Rool getting highly requested, then the noise from Isaac will have got to them. But we do need to make GS more and more known. The noise can not go down. We must keep it going all through 2019 and to the end of the DLC at the very least.

If we work hard like that, we are certainly getting him in Smash 7. We can make a difference. We just can not stop

(Also I'm expecting no huge characters for the DLC as from a designer perspective I have no idea where they can go that will make sense. We'd need to see what they have first up)
When that source brought up NOA being taken aback and surprised, never thinking that people would be that upset over Isaac not being playable. It's like, yeah they must have watched the Nintendo NY reaction lol. I mean even I wasn't expecting that reaction, I just thought it'd be the typical cheering cause he returned after missing a game.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
When that source brought up NOA being taken aback and surprised, never thinking that people would be that upset over Isaac not being playable. It's like, yeah they must have watched the Nintendo NY reaction lol. I mean even I wasn't expecting that reaction, I just thought it'd be the typical cheering cause he returned after missing a game.
Yeah when you're the publisher you really just expect constant cheering whenever stuff gets announced, so anything getting an overwhelmingly negative reception like that would stick out. It's like when you call someone out onto the stage it's customary for everybody to cheer, but if there's boos instead you know something's off.

Isaac
Banjo
Geno
Chorus Kids
Shadow

and a Mach Rider Bonus
It would probably also make more sense for Shadow to be the bonus (swapping him with Mach Rider). It would be like "buy the pack, and get this free Echo fighter!"

I really wouldn't count on the Grinch, though. Maybe one or two characters will overlap with it, but it's highly unlikely we get all the Grinch characters.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

That would be cool, but the Fire Emblem characters would feel kind of underpowered; most Fire Emblem characters are only capable of doing one of “wield weapons” or “cast magic”, while all the Adepts in Golden Sun can do both, and even the more physical characters in Xenoblade generally have a couple of supernatural tricks up their sleeve. At least Robin, Edelgard, and a good few of the Thracians and Fateslandians will be capable of pulling their weight.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I just rewatched it and blooming eck you see the buzzkill when Isaac appeared as an AT. It took a long time in the Direct to get a cheer again

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I just rewatched it and blooming eck you see the buzzkill when Isaac appeared as an AT. It took a long time in the Direct to get a cheer again
Good! They need to see just how much that hurt. It just wasn't what we pictured at all with all that we had going for us at the time. I probably shouted the biggest nooooooooooooooo at that reveal that it shook the floor of my university dorm!

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Yeah when you're the publisher you really just expect constant cheering whenever stuff gets announced, so anything getting an overwhelmingly negative reception like that would stick out. It's like when you call someone out onto the stage it's customary for everybody to cheer, but if there's boos instead you know something's off.

It would probably also make more sense for Shadow to be the bonus (swapping him with Mach Rider). It would be like "buy the pack, and get this free Echo fighter!"

I really wouldn't count on the Grinch, though. Maybe one or two characters will overlap with it, but it's highly unlikely we get all the Grinch characters.
I mostly expect Banjo and Geno. However, if there mural pose matches the Grinch Leak, then...:colorful::crazy: I honestly don’t know what to think anymore. lol

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I think a big reason why the Isaac reveal got such a reaction isn’t so much because people wanted Isaac, although we can always use hat to further our agenda, but because his AT reveal was a hard deconfirm of the Grinch leak. Specifically B&K and Geno.

Although maybe that’s my pessimism shining through. Maybe that many people were rooting for us.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I mean, I agree Ridley got in at least in part due to fan demand, but he had a lot of other things going for him that a lot of people overlooked. He's a really iconic character, a villain, a heavy flier, and from a series that many thought was criminally underrepresented. The only thing that ever held him back from Smash was Sakurai's ridiculous insistence on him being too big; once Sakurai could come up with a moveset for him, there was no way he wasn't getting in. Of course, you can argue that the fans played a role in pushing Sakurai to try a bit harder and come up with a way to make him work, which I'm sure they did, but we don't know exactly how big of a role that was. Sakurai could've just changed his mind on Ridely on a whim, or had some bright idea pop into his head while he was in the shower one day on how to make him work.

This is pure speculation, but given how much Ridley looks like his old school sprite in Ultimate, my guess is that Sakurai just decided he could go off the retro look (which was less huge compared to Samus) rather than use his more recent appearances (his boss design in Brawl and 4 seemed less retro-ish).

I know I wasn't around here before Ridley was revealed, but I did think he was quite likely before his reveal; if anything, I thought his ballot performance might hold him back a bit because he didn't place as high due to being a boss (although this was only a minor concern).
The problem with this argument is exactly what you yourself stated. The fans are the reason Sakurai looked at Ridley again. If it wasn't for that, Ridley would've never been playable. There's no debating this. Sakurai would've never even considered changing his mind about Ridley if it wasn't for the insistence of the fans really wanting him playable.

I think a big reason why the Isaac reveal got such a reaction isn’t so much because people wanted Isaac, although we can always use hat to further our agenda, but because his AT reveal was a hard deconfirm of the Grinch leak. Specifically B&K and Geno.

Although maybe that’s my pessimism shining through. Maybe that many people were rooting for us.
Definitely disagree completely. Incineroar not being on it already did that.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
That's a good theory, but in either way, we win. It seems NOA understood it as a sign of disapproval for Isaac being an AT. It's a good thing like was the fact that Isaac has been shown in the last Direct, allowing him to build up more hype around him.

Definitely disagree completely. Incineroar not being on it already did that.
Exactly. When I saw the eyes in the dark, I understood Incineroar was real, and thus Isaac was not a playable characters. Then I started to expect him as an AT, since there were leakers who said the Grinch leak weren't possible since Isaac were an AT. And when Yuri appeared, I even started to expect him to be the first one displayed after the "assist trophy" title.

It was a bad day.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's a good theory, but in either way, we win. It seems NOA understood it as a sign of disapproval for Isaac being an AT. It's a good thing like was the fact that Isaac has been shown in the last Direct, allowing him to build up more hype around him.

Exactly. When I saw the eyes in the dark, I understood Incineroar was real, and thus Isaac was not a playable characters. Then I started to expect him as an AT, since there were leakers who said the Grinch leak weren't possible since Isaac were an AT. And when Yuri appeared, I even started to expect him to be the first one displayed after the "assist trophy" title.

It was a bad day.
I remember when the boxing ring popped up, I knew the dream was over. If your last two newcomers are Ken and Incineroar, you reveal them together in the boxing ring.

That was a rough day.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I remember when the boxing ring popped up, I knew the dream was over. If your last two newcomers are Ken and Incineroar, you reveal them together in the boxing ring.

That was a rough day.
The part where he roared made me cringe not going to lie.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The problem with this argument is exactly what you yourself stated. The fans are the reason Sakurai looked at Ridley again. If it wasn't for that, Ridley would've never been playable. There's no debating this. Sakurai would've never even considered changing his mind about Ridley if it wasn't for the insistence of the fans really wanting him playable.
"The fans are the reason Sakurai looked at Ridley again." But without the fans, how do you know he wouldn't have looked at Ridley again? There were other reasons to make Ridley playable besides fan demand. For the record, my argument was not that fans played no role whatsoever, but I was diagreeing with the idea that without the fans, Ridley never would be playable. If Sakurai figured out a moveset (which again, could've been on a whim), Ridley would be playable. Fans may have helped motivate him to do that, but we don't know how much. It's certainly possible Sakurai would've made Ridley playable by his own choosing if he finally figured out a way to "make him dance."

ZelDan

Smash Master
The boxing ring made me concerned, but as soon as Ken showed up I was feeling okay again.

It was when the eyes showed up in the darkness when I was like "uh oh..."

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The boxing ring made me concerned, but as soon as Ken showed up I was feeling okay again.

For me, the second I saw the ring I knew it was Kencineroar. The ring doesn't make nearly as much sense with just Ken. I did still think there was a chance of getting more than just those two, which of course turned out not to be the case.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I know he isn't what people wanted necessarily (especially compared to Isaac) but I'm actually kinda excited for Incineroar. He looks really fun to play, but maybe it's me lol

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I know he isn't what people wanted necessarily (especially compared to Isaac) but I'm actually kinda excited for Incineroar. He looks really fun to play, but maybe it's me lol
My personal gripes with Inciniroar aside, he does look cool.

I think what ultimately hurt Inciniroar is that it’s not the popular starter of its Generation, Decidueye is. AFAIK the Pokemon Company hasn’t tried to make the Pokemon really cool in the anime either.

Greninja was a perfect storm of Marketing. Not only did he release in Smash before X/Y were released, TPC made sure he was popular by making him one of X/Y the series’ MVP.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Not quite since after the Kencineroar reveal (with Incineroar already making the Grinch false), Sakurai states that's all the characters left to reveal so that pretty much put the final nail in the coffin. Shadow was also revealed as an assist in a montage right before the highlighted assist trophy segment that reveals Isaac.

I also feel like leaks are more followed by the speculative part of the Smash community, whereas a more casual viewing of the direct just has people cheering for every newcomer, even Isabelle's reveal received loud cheers by the NY direct when it was considered more of a buzzkill here by some after the delay. So seeing Isaac get that kind of reaction at all is huge, when he gets the constant argument of his game being old and obscure with no recognizability.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
"The fans are the reason Sakurai looked at Ridley again." But without the fans, how do you know he wouldn't have looked at Ridley again? There were other reasons to make Ridley playable besides fan demand.
Like what reasons?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My personal gripe with Incineroar isn’t that he doesn’t look fun. It’s that anyone would be fun to play, but Incineroar isn’t popular by Smash standards, by ballot standards, by Pokémon standards, or by general standards. In a game that was allegedly for the fans, giving a spot to a character with virtually none feels kind of an insult.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Ken did not for a second make me feel ok, because Ken in a CG trailer could only work with Incineroar. Boxing Ring especially killed it because any Grinch characters save Shadow would've been revealed with a new stage.

I thought it was still possible more reveals were coming until they showed the mural. At that point I figured the Isaac AT was coming.

It was a bad day.
The day prior all the insiders suddenly started saying "Isaac is an AT". So yeah, once Incineroar showed up I was fully expecting an Isaac AT (I still thought later Grinch could've potentially been real, but it was just DLC.)

Regardless, the point is that reactions to the Isaac AT reveal mean **** about other characters on the Grinch leak, because Sakurai already said that was all characters in the base roster. All the massive negative reactions to Isaac's AT were genuinely because those people wanted Isaac playable and not an AT again.

On another note, should we create a poll on what we should call the website? I'd kinda like it finalized soon-ish. The Angara Continent Discord is currently using "Operation Golden Sunrise" in the title of the Discord, so I feel like we might've settled on that. I'd like to know because I kinda want to purchase domain names.

Again, here are the ones I'm looking at:

golden-sunrise.com
golden-sunrise.net

I must use a hyphen because someone goldensunrise.com and goldensunrise.net are already in use. The former is just a premium domain service charging an exhorbitant amount for the domain. The latter? Well, I don't know what it is. It looks like another dead domain, but I can't register it.

I could got with .org but I kinda prefer .com and .net.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't like slow characters except for one who was built off a fast one (:ultganondorf:) and one who's drifting away from being slow (:ultike:). This is among the reasons why I was hoping the Pokemon slot would go to Lycanroc, because its lore, signature move, and high speed stat meant that if Sakurai chose it, a fast character would be guaranteed.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely on board with the idea that Isaac is possible for DLC. It's fun to think about, but I'm not in the mood to do all this conspiracy stuff and get my hopes up for nothing again lol.

The only timeline where he would be DLC would be something like this:
  • 2015 (or whenever the design document was finalized): Isaac isn't added due to irrelevancy/time constraints/limited roster space/whatever, but he's acknowledged as an Assist Trophy, and quite a bit of extra Golden Sun content is added to compensate.
  • Sometime between 2016 and 2018: Nintendo/Camelot decide to produce some kind of Golden Sun content in the future. This is hinted at later in Mario Tennis Aces with the Sol Sanctum reference (similarly to how K. Rool was on a street sign in Mario Odyssey)
  • Whenever Nintendo decided on DLC (late 2017? early 2018?): Sakurai gets the DLC candidates list and Isaac's on there. Sakurai lets out a sigh as he realizes he's gonna have to add an anime sword fighter that isn't from Fire Emblem.
  • August 2018: Sakurai tweets the infamous Rathalos picture as a hint.
Still, there's so many questions that go with this. Why would his Assist Trophy still be in if he's planned for DLC? Was the Rathalos picture even a Golden Sun reference? If not, what else could it be? After all this time, what if Sakurai posted it solely because he thought it was a cool picture? Also, why was the Golden Sun reference only included in the Japanese release of Mario Tennis Aces, where Golden Sun is less popular?

I guess the best thing to do now is push for another Golden Sun and see if anything comes out of that, like most people here are suggesting.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
On another note, should we create a poll on what we should call the website? I'd kinda like it finalized soon-ish. The Angara Continent Discord is currently using "Operation Golden Sunrise" in the title of the Discord, so I feel like we might've settled on that. I'd like to know because I kinda want to purchase domain names.

Again, here are the ones I'm looking at:

golden-sunrise.com
golden-sunrise.net

I must use a hyphen because someone goldensunrise.com and goldensunrise.net are already in use. The former is just a premium domain service charging an exhorbitant amount for the domain. The latter? Well, I don't know what it is. It looks like another dead domain, but I can't register it.

I could got with .org but I kinda prefer .com and .net.
A poll makes sense. Personally, I'd rather not have a hyphen in the link because that makes it look less serious for me but well, that might only be my own weirdness. Having a website to work with though would be appreciating.

Top Bottom