• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Let’s be theoretical: IF Golden Sun 4 gets announced in the next Nintendo Direct, does this increase Isaac’s chances at all?

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
You're missing an option.

4. The picture was an intentional reference by Sakurai. They already decided Isaac as DLC by that point, and the trademark coming out a couple weeks later was because they were still working out a plan, but the tweet had nothing to do with raising support or anything but was merely a teaser.
Yeah this could be a possibility, although the possibilities I listed were specifically if the trademark was renewed because of the Rathalos pic.

There's little chance they decided on a character in two weeks. More likely, the process for the filing just took a bit of time.
That is true, although if it was a somewhat impulse desicion as this most likely was, I could see it happening.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
So Nintendo chose 5 or more DLC candidates and Sakurai takes 5 he can work with?
If the Katalina+Steve+SE Character (if they don't interest me) rumor is true I'm most likely skipping this fighter pass.

What I think of this pass is:

-Gen 8 Pokémon is a lock because it comes out next year and GF sends concept art early (no Sakurai bias so FE isn't one, but it's still very likely)
-Bandana Dee, FE 3 Houses and Elma are the only big 1st parties I can think of (RH doesn't have a definitive single character to add)
-3rd parties have the best shot IMO (Square, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, Bandai Namco, etc)
-I'm almost sure Bethesda is getting someone (or at least Spirits), they confirmed on an interview that they talked about Smash with Nintendo
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
And I always thought the Operation was more about Golden Sun itself rather than Isaac.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Right now with Sakurai’s recent tweet I think the best thing to do moving forward with the Golden Sunday plans is to focus solely on a new game!

The last thing we need is to be label as jerks or a******* by still requesting Isaac after that tweet. Honestly this give us a lot of time now! We can campaign hard for a new game or at least a remake for the Switch. If that happens then we’ll definitely have a chance to get Isaac if Sakurai ever announces a second wave of DLC.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well that just means we need to send stuff to Nintendo and not Sakurai anymore

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Let’s be theoretical: IF Golden Sun 4 gets announced in the next Nintendo Direct, does this increase Isaac’s chances at all?
Is doesn't increase Isaac's chances. But it EXPONENTIALLY increases Matthew's chances. And at this point, i'm pretty sure GS fan's will take just about anything.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Right now with Sakurai’s recent tweet I think the best thing to do moving forward with the Golden Sunday plans is to focus solely on a new game!

The last thing we need is to be label as jerks or a******* by still requesting Isaac after that tweet. Honestly this give us a lot of time now! We can campaign hard for a new game or at least a remake for the Switch. If that happens then we’ll definitely have a chance to get Isaac if Sakurai ever announces a second wave of DLC.
I don't think Golden Sun is getting a new game until he get's into Smash. Smash is what will revitalize interest in Isaac to the main stream.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I agree in having a more careful approach in terms of Isaac for Smash, we should shift focus to Golden Sun revival for a bit so we don't look spammy or toxic. We need to pass the idea of stopping tagging / replying to Sakurai with what we want, if their team decided to tweet in English then indeed he is getting a lot of requests and he just can't keep up with them (because well, it has been that way during the whole speculation so it must be tiring), we have made our point clear this days after the direct, he DEFINITELY HAS to know right now that the demand for Isaac is real.

I don't think that is what the wording implies, he is just saying Nintendo gave him a list and he decided which characters were feasible from the list, there is not time involved and given how he is posting that now it most likely means they are just ready to start the development phase
Yeah that's why I might rebrand the Twitter account. I'm not giving up on Isaac being in Smash at all but I'm simply thinking it's a better move going forward having the Golden Sun revivals be our main focus over Isaac in Smash Bros. Problem is I have no idea what to rename it so I'm open to suggestions

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Not saying anything won't get us anywhere.
We’re not saying give up. Just don’t constantly respond to every tweet Nintendo or Sakurai makes with something about Isaac. It’s as simple as that. The dude knows we and other fandoms exist.

It’s called being respectful. ESPECIALLY when said person comes out and says, “Hey, chill the **** out please and thank you.”

No. It would increase the chances of that games protagonist. Which we can assume would be either Mathew or Felix’s child.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Just saw Sakurai’s recent tweets. Not sure if this increases or decreases Isaac’s chances. If a Golden Sun is in development now it could make sense, otherwise it’s not looking amazing.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Regardless of how we move forward, two things are important. One, that we don't give up and go silent just because they asked us to stop giving feedback. Two, we don't spam Sakurai or Nintendo specifically to try and provoke response from them. The fanbase needs to shows its love and appreciation for the game and the character without harassing the creators. We don't want to be rabid, and we can't afford to be silent. We have to be strong, with a clear but reasonable voice. We don't shove ourselves in their faces, we simply become too large to ignore. Our presence should speak for us without a single person having to tag or reply to them.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Regardless of how we move forward, two things are important. One, that we don't give up and go silent just because they asked us to stop giving feedback. Two, we don't spam Sakurai or Nintendo specifically to try and provoke response from them. The fanbase needs to shows its love and appreciation for the game and the character without harassing the creators. We don't want to be rabid, and we can't afford to be silent. We have to be strong, with a clear but reasonable voice. We don't shove ourselves in their faces, we simply become too large to ignore.
Precisely.

That’s why I keep trying to say we don’t give up on the idea of Isaac in Smash. We can still dream. Just don’t shove that dream down Sakurai’s throat. That’s an easy way to make him despise us. That’s not what we want here.

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
If a Golden Sun game is released on Switch, the protagonist is going to gain popularity like Rex and the chance of have a GS rep in Smash 6 will increment exponentially.
I would prefer a GS 1+2 Remaster because the Isaac fanbase(which is already big) could gain a lot of Adepts.
We should fight for the revival of the series!

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Golden Sun's trademark getting renewed, I want to throw out an idea. Maybe Golden Sun's trademark was renewed when it was so Sakurai and his team could add Isaac as an assist trophy again. That would explain why Isaac was revealed at the last second to crush our dreams. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think we should look at the trademark renewal as a sign for Golden Sun 4.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I’d argue that it decreases our chances. It all hinges on your theory that a Golden Sun is in development. But we don’t know that.

And even if a Golden Sun were in development I can assure you Isaac would not be an AT right now. He’d been in the base roster right now.
No, you're completely ignoring one major factor:

Time.

It takes a lot of work to include a character in Smash, and this game has clearly been rushed. Its not hard to see. Based on all factors we've seen, it seems very likely that characters got cut, which made them add more Echo Fighters and promoted Isabelle from Echo to full-fledged newcomer (despite only having like three unique moves). Especially with Isaac being such a massively complex character.

Chrom is another huge example of this. Robin's FS wasn't changed at all, despite many other characters getting changed. Chrom was added too late to change it.

If GS wasn't coming until next year, it gives all the more reason for him to be cut and postponed to DLC if they're running out of time for characters. That'd also explain Isaac's AT coming so late. He wasn't planned to be an AT, but they didn't have time to finish him before release, so they worked on the AT instead.

Obviously, this is only one possibility. But I feel its far stronger than you're suggesting.

No. It would increase the chances of that games protagonist. Which we can assume would be either Mathew or Felix’s child.
No it wouldn't because Isaac is the fan favorite character.

On the topic of Golden Sun's trademark getting renewed, I want to throw out an idea. Maybe Golden Sun's trademark was renewed when it was so Sakurai and his team could add Isaac as an assist trophy again. That would explain why Isaac was revealed at the last second to crush our dreams. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think we should look at the trademark renewal as a sign for Golden Sun 4.
Then you'd have to explain why Custom Robo was not renewed, despite having a Mii fighter costume in the game.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

OPeke!

Smash Rookie
About Isaac or any other Golden Sun rep on Smash, alea iacta est. If Nintendo had already planned anything Golden Sun related, then maybe we are on the 5 chosen DLC (I hope the return of Isaac as AT means something).

We should focus now on the series revival until an hipotetical second DLC wave is announced.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I’ve said my part on the matter. Everyone has their crazy theories. After the Grinch leak, I’d prefer to keep my expectations low.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Golden Sun is getting a new game until he get's into Smash. Smash is what will revitalize interest in Isaac to the main stream.
I’ve said it before up here a few hundred pages back. The Switch has already had major releases for their heavy hitting franchises! We are not gonna get a new Animal Crossing, Kirby, Metroid, Luigi’s Mansion, Donkey Kong Country, Fire Emblem or Legend of Zelda every 2-3 years!

Nintendo will either have to make completely new IPs or start dipping into their massive vault for older IPs! This is Golden Sun’s true chance to get a revival. If they fan base was loud enough for a cut assist trophy to be brought back without a playable character like Grey Fox then we know Golden Sun has to now be on Nintendo’s radar. Especially after the success of Octopath Traveler proving people love turnbase rpgs.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I’ve said my part on the matter. Everyone has their crazy theories. After the Grinch leak, I’d prefer to keep my expectations low.
I don't have any crazy theories. I'm just pointing out options rather than assuming everything is obviously the worst case scenario.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
We're running out of sizeable franchises without new entries on the switch. The only standouts left are Rythm Heaven, Wario Ware, Golden Sun, and Kid Icarus. In other words, we're literally bound to come up soon if they want to continue diversifying the library.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
If a new Golden Sun is in development and Nintendo decided the DLC roster, I’d actually argue it increases Isaac’s chances because Nintendo will 100% want to promote it with something big like smash, especially after they failed to advertise Dark Dawn.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

I get not wanting to come off pushy towards Sakurai but Iet's not completely freak that the tweet was specifically targeted towards getting Isaac fans to shut up, to the point it makes us go silent. It's only cause we're in this echo chamber that it seems, oh snap, we're really annoying Sakurai! But considering that the Smash community views assists as deconfirmations, I highly doubt that the onslaught of requests Sakurai was talking about came from a majority of Isaac supporters, the community is too busy having Pirahna plant laugh at his deconfirmation. He was probably getting spammed with tons of DLC requests from the characters that managed to survive the last direct. There's also people that spam dumb requests in general.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We're running out of sizeable franchises without new entries on the switch. The only standouts left are Rythm Heaven, Wario Ware, Golden Sun, and Kid Icarus. In other words, we're literally bound to come up soon if they want to continue diversifying the library.
I'm fully expecting Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare, both of these also recently got 3DS entries. Kid Icarus is iffy because the last one was made by Sakurai specifically. Its hard to say who if anyone will continue it.

I think Wars could come back. Also, we're missing a new DK game, which I do expect for next year.

If a new Golden Sun is in development and Nintendo decided the DLC roster, I’d actually argue it increases Isaac’s chances because Nintendo will 100% want to promote it with something big like smash, especially after they failed to advertise Dark Dawn.
This. It would also line up with the Sakurai tweet and with the trademark. Regardless, we should still campaign for Golden Sun's return. If this happens, that'd be incredible. I think its more likely than people think, but obviously I'm not assuming anything.

I get not wanting to come off pushy towards Sakurai but Iet's not completely freak that the tweet was specifically targeted towards getting Isaac fans to shut up, to the point it makes us go silent. It's only cause we're in this echo chamber that it seems, oh snap, we're really annoying Sakurai! But considering that the Smash community views assists as deconfirmations, I highly doubt that the onslaught of requests Sakurai was talking about came from a majority of Isaac supporters, the community is too busy having Pirahna plant laugh at his deconfirmation. He was probably getting spammed with tons of DLC requests from the characters that managed to survive the last direct. There's also people that spam dumb requests in general.
This as well. There's been lots of tweets at Sakurai.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's why I might rebrand the Twitter account. I'm not giving up on Isaac being in Smash at all but I'm simply thinking it's a better move going forward having the Golden Sun revivals be our main focus over Isaac in Smash Bros. Problem is I have no idea what to rename it so I'm open to suggestions
I would suggest something along the lines of Golden Sun revival, Bring back Golden Sun or geez even the name of the operation if you will rep us on Twitter, the same I told Billy, being a leader in any front is not mandatory! But if you are going to take up the role then Operation Golden Sunrise could be a good rebranding

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Either Isaac or the main character of the new game.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What if they are content with not diversifying however?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
We're running out of sizeable franchises without new entries on the switch. The only standouts left are Rhythm Heaven, Wario Ware, Golden Sun, and Kid Icarus. In other words, we're literally bound to come up soon if they want to continue diversifying the library.
You think Kid Icarus is more likely than F-Zero? As Jaidyn said, it's unlikely due to Sakurai making the last one and saying he never had a sequel in mind.

And maybe Punch-Out!! can get a game? ARMS had the motion controls so it should be easy to develop.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You think Kid Icarus is more likely than F-Zero? As Jaidyn said, it's unlikely due to Sakurai making the last one and saying he never had a sequel in mind.
And maybe Punch-Out!! can get a game? ARMS had the motion controls so it should be easy to develop.
Punch-Out is more likely than F-Zero and Kid Icarus both. But I think F-Zero is semi likely, and definitely more likely than Kid Icarus at this point.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Highly doubt it and I have pointed out some reasons before. 1 Golden Sun's trademark was renewed on 2017 so if it was just for Smash a renewal wasn't necessary.
2. Custom Robo's wasn't renewed and there is content from the franchise in Smash Ultimate.
3. If it was just for his AT then they wouldn't need to change the terms of the trademark, which they did and also was the only trademark renewed in September that got its terms updated/modified. And no franchise without new games have had its terms modified either

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm just taking a "wait and see" approach when it comes to DLC characters and don't really know what to expect.

If we get some cool characters (or even Isaac), then awesome.

If not, well, I wouldn't exactly be surprised considering how things have been recently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Should people still buy Golden Sun on Sunday? Nintendo should notice the sudden wave of sales.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that we know all of the characters, there is really no point to speculation. Especially since its very unpredictable now after Piranha Plant.

Look forward to playing the game with a lot of you though
Hey guys you know what **** all the characters people want and the series with no reps...lets throw in another Mario character and not a popular one like Waluigi lets do something nobody wants!!!! It is brilliant!
That was their thought process I assume? Lol

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I don't have any crazy theories. I'm just pointing out options rather than assuming everything is obviously the worst case scenario.
Trust me, I’m far from seeing things as the worst case scenario.

My point is that this does not increase chances for ISAAC. This doesn’t mean we won’t see another protagonist take the fighter slot if a new GS is announced.

Each GS game features a new protagonist. Golden Sun 4 would likely do the same as it’s predecessors. Yes. Isaac is the popular choice. But for DLC specifically they would want to draw attention to the game that’s coming out not to a character from a game that came out nearly 20 years ago.

Yes. Isaac is the fan choice. But Golden Sun fans would still eat up whatever protagonist they do put in. As well as drawing in new fans.

It’d be different if Isaac was base roster. People don’t have to pay extra. But as DLC, it would work, if remakes were planned.

The issue I have with that is that Isaac is an Assist Trophy. If they decided to make him a fighter (ESPECIALLY before the game goes gold) they would have scrapped his AT altogether in favor of a fighter. Even if that fighter would be introduced later on.

But I’m done. I’ve said my piece. Everyone’s free to believe whatever they want.

It would just be a shame if everyone started believing Isaac was one of the five DLC characters and then it’s revealed he isn’t.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Hey guys you know what **** all the characters people want and the series with no reps...lets throw in another Mario character and not a popular one like Waluigi lets do something nobody wants!!!! It is brilliant!
That was their thought process I assume? Lol
Don’t you dare say anything though or you’ll be considered “ungrateful”.

Although I have warmed up to the plant.

Top Bottom