• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey guys, I know you all are still recovering from the Direct, thought I'd come by and say my bit!

Sure the day was bad, and the worse scenario happened. Ken and Incineroar were the last members of the base roster and Isaac was an AT (albeit a new fancy one with 4 different MOVES). I am happy with the fact that we got GS representation, but I also think we shouldn't be losing hope for playability!

5 DLC characters were announced and haven't yet been revealed. With Rex disconfirmed outta the bat, one of those spots can be ours.

I still have hope for our Golden Boy. AT means nothing for his chances at playability. AT =/= playable is a rule that fans have made, it's just never been broken cause Smash Wii U with its relevance focused DLC was the first DLC Smash game we had gotten! Smash Ultimate might be the one to change that and there's no way I'll let go this chance! Possibly our best one yet!

Grinch or no Grinch, I feel that chances for Isaac still exist. We should keep supporting Isaac! We've been supporting him since 16 years, we can support him for longer! We Golden Sun fans are known for us refusal to give up! We will keep walking forward with determination, even if this might set us back a bit!

This is NOT the END. :smash:

If not DLC, the next Smash. Whatever it takes, I'll keep rooting for him. I hope you guys join me in this cause whenever you're ready! :)

P.S. Yes, Matthew is a spirit. But so are playable characters like K. Rool. Spirit status also means nothing for playability. I just think that we should continue supporting Isaac cause he's now a well known name in the Smash fandom, while Matthew/Felix are nobodies to people outside the GS crowd.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Okay I am not happy with that direct. In fact, I’ve thought up about three separate rants that I could have right now about Sakurai’s character choices, the absurd timing of reveals, and Nintendo’s dumb choice to stay completely silent for a week, while about 60% of one of their most devoted fanbases was literally expecting something far greater than what we were about to get...

However, I’m not a pessimistic guy, or at the very least it doesn’t work for me.

I’m bummed. I was prepared for this and I’m still bummed. But I don’t visit this thread everyday to sulk and complain - I come here to fantasize about the dream Isaac in Smash. And that is what I will continue coming here for.

I don’t care what anyone says - we are getting closer and closer after every disappointment. Isaac will be playable. While the last thing I wanted was for Isaac to get trapped in what seems like a snow globe of dashed hopes. We have to look at it as just another step towards our dream. Sakurai has not once stated that an assist trophy promotion is out of the question. And after how loud and known we have become over the past few weeks, I would say that it is very likely that we are in high consideration right now. All we need to do is keep pushing.

People want to say that this was his best chance. Nope. Right now is his best chance. Think about it. Back in Smash 4, who were the big requests? Little Mac, Ridley, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Mewtwo. We got Little Mac and Mega Man Baz game. Mewtwo as DLC. And Smash Ultimate - Ridley and K. Rool. And who were the big requests for this game? Most would say Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, and Geno. And on that list, there are only three that aren’t playable. And only one that is both first party, and already has an in-game render! We are so close guys! We are in the game for **** sake.

Do you think that Sakurai would be so attached to an assist trophy, that he would refuse to upgrade it into a playable character? Certainly not! Especially if it has strong fan demand and fantastic credentials. And we have it! We just have to maintain it.

I don’t know if Isaac will be on the fighter pass. Quite frankly, I doubt it. But I want to compare this to one of my favorite fighting games - Injustice. In this game, they announced a fighter pass shortly before (perhaps shortly after. I can’t remember perfectly) the games launch. On this pass, there were three characters that were particularly high requests. Lobo, Martian Manhunter, and Zatanna. They revealed the characters on the pass. and we got Lobo, Batgirl, Scorpion, and General Zod. Needless to say, people were not happy at all. But, even after we knew all these characters, people continued to push for MM and Zatanna. And wouldn’t ya know it? Both get announced as individual DLC. Even after there was no plans after the fighter pass. There is always hope.

And you know what, unlike Injustice, Smash is an undying game. The only thing that stops people from playing Smash, is another Smash. And if the Switch plans on stickin around, which it will, we could be looking at quite a few years of DLC support. And you really think that they’ll continue to refuse to upgrade any assist trophies? No!

So I’m disappointed Isaac’s not in. But I’ll be much more dissapointed if we all disband now, after how much we’ve grown and how united we’ve become. We are stronger than ever!...And as silly as it sounds, we kind of have them surrounded. No doubt the disappoint of this fake leak caught Nintendo’s eyes. It likely blindsighted them even more than it did us. They can’t just look away from Isaac and Golden Sun now. They absolutely know that we’re here. If you ask me, all I think we need is a plan. Whether we want to spam Nintendo on Twitter with hashtags on the GS anniversary that’s coming up, or perhaps band together with Geno and Banjo bros and create an army that they can’t ignore. It may sound absurd, but we’re honestly in a really good position guys.

Basically boo ****ing hoo. I did my crying, and now I’m ready to fight. And I hope that you guys are too. In the meantime, I’m going to finish my first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia (lovely game by the way!) until Ultimate comes out. And when it does, I will enjoy playing as a that dope ass plant, while beating the ever living **** out of all Incineroars that cross my path.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I miss when Mariotehplumber just made dumb videos about how Sonic Colors was a Pokemon rip-off because it had capsules and that Halo Reach was a Mario rip-off because you can jump high instead of him actively trying to anger Rosalina and Smash fans like he's doing now.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Mariotehplumber is not new news to me as a sonic fan (he was always screaming about how every modern sonic game crap and only classic sonic is good, calls anything hentai including rosalina and sonic's long spikes in his modern design, buys several rosalina amiibos because he hates her and doesnt want her fans to be happy, and also lives in the same country as me, so on my behalf i apologize we have this guy) and honestly when he went out and said he did it, it did not suprise me that he would make something this elaborate, he really doesnt care about anyone else but himself
He doesnt care about himself either judging from the way he speaks.

Though I guess he accomplished his objective. Which was to show this final direct was going to disappoint. He did this because he hates nintendo. So no better way to do this then have their fans tear up each other and for them to be disappointed at nintendo and sakurai. This could've gone on longer but he let his ego get in the way.

So for anyone who was attacking team fake people for simply believing it was fake, this is the type of person you were feeding.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, I feel the need to post something here, but I've had a hard time putting together organized thoughts. Guess I'll just type whatever comes to mind.
I could complain about the final newcomers choices, which I won't deny were a letdown for me, but this is the Isaac thread, not the criticize other newcomers thread. Nor do I have the energy to complain that Isaac should have been shown earlier, though I get why people might think that.
I had already accepted Isaac's fate by the end of the Incineroar trailer, but it still hurt. I don't really know what DLC might look like, even if other people have drawn up their own rules, but the reality is that outside of Elma and Bandana Dee, first-party newcomer choices have been thoroughly gutted. Maybe that means ATs could become playable, or it just means it's going to be almost all third party again (ugh). I don't think there's inherently anything preventing AT promotion, but if the DLC characters have in fact been decided since the project plan like a lot of people think, that certainly doesn't bode well. Hopefully there's more after this first set. At that point, there's more reason to be hopeful.
I've seen some people fall back on to the old saying that Isaac's poll results are consistently inflated. While that isn't impossible, I don't see how anything that happened today would confirm that. Excluding returning characters, who probably dominated the polls, Isaac could have got 3rd or 4th or even better and still not made the cut considering how few unique newcomers we got. If anything, making the effort to bring Isaac back as a trophy instead of just a Spirit would suggest his fans were at least heard.
We may have been burned this game, but the reality is that Isaac is currently one of the most popularity first party choices left going forward. It's up to us to sustain that. Isaac is not forgotten, if the reactions I've seen are anything to go by. For example, Isaac's AT reveal earned one of the loudest sets of dismay from Nintendo NY's reaction video.
If we keep up momentum, I think Isaac's future isn't dead yet. I don't see a Golden Sun 4 at the moment, but maybe a Switch remake of Golden Sun 1+2? I'm certainly not the first person to propose that, but I do think it makes a lot of sense. The fundamentals are all there, so there's no reason it shouldn't be critically successful, and it would save Camelot a lot of development efforts. It's been long enough that GS fans would absolutely buy it again to support the series, and it could be a good entry point for new people to play the games if marketed well. JRPGs seem to be doing fine right now. I don't think GS4 would do as well since being the fourth game in a narrative heavy series could be a turnoff for newcomers, which you are going to need when the series has been dormant for so long.
We'll have to be prepared for people telling us to give up on the series and let go of the past, but I don't go down easily. K. Rool and Ridley wouldn't be in this game if their fans surrendered. Call me optimistic, but keep fighting and I do believe, brothers, that the sun will shine on us again.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
btw i updated my signature, vaporwave style!

king k rool and simon are now removed because they're confirmed (i also removed sans and balloon fighter)

i've added the other characters in the grinch leak, they have my support because their fans we're decieved

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Hey guys, I know you all are still recovering from the Direct, thought I'd come by and say my bit!

Sure the day was bad, and the worse scenario happened. Ken and Incineroar were the last members of the base roster and Isaac was an AT (albeit a new fancy one with 4 different MOVES). I am happy with the fact that we got GS representation, but I also think we shouldn't be losing hope for playability!

5 DLC characters were announced and haven't yet been revealed. With Rex disconfirmed outta the bat, one of those spots can be ours.

I still have hope for our Golden Boy. AT means nothing for his chances at playability. AT =/= playable is a rule that fans have made, it's just never been broken cause Smash Wii U with its relevance focused DLC was the first DLC Smash game we had gotten! Smash Ultimate might be the one to change that and there's no way I'll let go this chance! Possibly our best one yet!

Grinch or no Grinch, I feel that chances for Isaac still exist. We should keep supporting Isaac! We've been supporting him since 16 years, we can support him for longer! We Golden Sun fans are known for us refusal to give up! We will keep walking forward with determination, even if this might set us back a bit!

This is NOT the END. :smash:

If not DLC, the next Smash. Whatever it takes, I'll keep rooting for him. I hope you guys join me in this cause whenever you're ready! :)

P.S. Yes, Matthew is a spirit. But so are playable characters like K. Rool. Spirit status also means nothing for playability. I just think that we should continue supporting Isaac cause he's now a well known name in the Smash fandom, while Matthew/Felix are nobodies to people outside the GS crowd.
If an AT does not deconfirm Isaac then the same logic follows through that Rex should not be deconfirmed by a mii costume. The truth is we just don't know.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Okay I am not happy with that direct. In fact, I’ve thought up about three separate rants that I could have right now about Sakurai’s character choices, the absurd timing of reveals, and Nintendo’s dumb choice to stay completely silent for a week, while about 60% of one of their most devoted fanbases was literally expecting something far greater than what we were about to get...

However, I’m not a pessimistic guy, or at the very least it doesn’t work for me.

I’m bummed. I was prepared for this and I’m still bummed. But I don’t visit this thread everyday to sulk and complain - I come here to fantasize about the dream Isaac in Smash. And that is what I will continue coming here for.

I don’t care what anyone says - we are getting closer and closer after every disappointment. Isaac will be playable. While the last thing I wanted was for Isaac to get trapped in what seems like a snow globe of dashed hopes. We have to look at it as just another step towards our dream. Sakurai has not once stated that an assist trophy promotion is out of the question. And after how loud and known we have become over the past few weeks, I would say that it is very likely that we are in high consideration right now. All we need to do is keep pushing.

People want to say that this was his best chance. Nope. Right now is his best chance. Think about it. Back in Smash 4, who were the big requests? Little Mac, Ridley, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Mewtwo. We got Little Mac and Mega Man Baz game. Mewtwo as DLC. And Smash Ultimate - Ridley and K. Rool. And who were the big requests for this game? Most would say Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, and Geno. And on that list, there are only three that aren’t playable. And only one that is both first party, and already has an in-game render! We are so close guys! We are in the game for **** sake.

Do you think that Sakurai would be so attached to an assist trophy, that he would refuse to upgrade it into a playable character? Certainly not! Especially if it has strong fan demand and fantastic credentials. And we have it! We just have to maintain it.

I don’t know if Isaac will be on the fighter pass. Quite frankly, I doubt it. But I want to compare this to one of my favorite fighting games - Injustice. In this game, they announced a fighter pass shortly before (perhaps shortly after. I can’t remember perfectly) the games launch. On this pass, there were three characters that were particularly high requests. Lobo, Martian Manhunter, and Zatanna. They revealed the characters on the pass. and we got Lobo, Batgirl, Scorpion, and General Zod. Needless to say, people were not happy at all. But, even after we knew all these characters, people continued to push for MM and Zatanna. And wouldn’t ya know it? Both get announced as individual DLC. Even after there was no plans after the fighter pass. There is always hope.

And you know what, unlike Injustice, Smash is an undying game. The only thing that stops people from playing Smash, is another Smash. And if the Switch plans on stickin around, which it will, we could be looking at quite a few years of DLC support. And you really think that they’ll continue to refuse to upgrade any assist trophies? No!

So I’m disappointed Isaac’s not in. But I’ll be much more dissapointed if we all disband now, after how much we’ve grown and how united we’ve become. We are stronger than ever!...And as silly as it sounds, we kind of have them surrounded. No doubt the disappoint of this fake leak caught Nintendo’s eyes. It likely blindsighted them even more than it did us. They can’t just look away from Isaac and Golden Sun now. They absolutely know that we’re here. If you ask me, all I think we need is a plan. Whether we want to spam Nintendo on Twitter with hashtags on the GS anniversary that’s coming up, or perhaps band together with Geno and Banjo bros and create an army that they can’t ignore. It may sound absurd, but we’re honestly in a really good position guys.

Basically boo ****ing hoo. I did my crying, and now I’m ready to fight. And I hope that you guys are too. In the meantime, I’m going to finish my first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia (lovely game by the way!) until Ultimate comes out. And when it does, I will enjoy playing as a that dope *** plant, while beating the ever living **** out of all Incineroars that cross my path.
I would feel a lot MORE confident if Sakurai would talk about Golden Sun like....once. I dunno. I can say I'm a lot more confident in Geno, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, etc BECAUSE Sakurai has weighed in on them and their series. Sakurai could literally think anything about Golden Sun. We don't know. We just have the evidence presented. And Golden Sun seems to get the short end of the stick.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm so happy Isaac had so much support.

Which makes the whole thing just that disheartening.

Honestly it kinda surprises me how bad Camelot got treated at this Smash haha.

No Waluigi, no Isaac.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
If an AT does not deconfirm Isaac then the same logic follows through that Rex should not be deconfirmed by a mii costume. The truth is we just don't know.
It's not that he's deconfirmed by a Mii costume.

It's cause Sakurai himself said that Rex was too late to become playable in the game or DLC, and that hopefully Rex costume will make the people feel like they're playing as Rex. I'm just going by "word of god" here.

Edit: If Rex still makes it in later, I'll be glad for his fans.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Does Matthew have a support thread? I would like to try to go for him for DLC.. Hes pretty much our only hope for getting a Golden Sun character playable right now.
This is the Matthew support thread. We are voting for all Golden Sun Characters. We should speak in one voice and not split up the threads.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Well, that was something, huh? I'm back, like I said, from a fairly long day and just caught up on all the posts that happened. Like a possibility I mentioned, disappointment mostly with a hint of confusion and frustration. It's not my first rodeo for sure. I played GS when it released and I've wanted him in every Smash game starting with Brawl, so I have at least some tempered emotions regarding all of this. I'm glad I didn't take off work to see the Direct because I would probably be brooding most of the day, but instead I got to get my mind off a lot of it after catching most of the first half of the direct initially.

After getting home, I watched it again with more focus and I can safely say what I said before: this is Smash Penultimate.

I agree with Billybo10K; they really need a better marketing director. Seeing Ken and Incineroar did what we basically all thought it would do; really sap everything of its hype. You don't save those as the last reveals, it's unfair to the characters to even attempt to hold that ceiling up.

I am really not a fan of Ken in the context of Smash. With Ryu, I thought it was a cool reference and callback; basically a gimmick that worked with itself. When you add Ken too, you lose a lot of the original intent. I understand the 'first echo' and 'how it makes so much sense', but it's a firm shoulder shrug to me. I even prefer Ken over Ryu when I'm playing Street Fighter; he's one of my favorite characters in that series. It's just a zero sum in this spot; doesn't add anything or subtract anything.

Incineroar.... well what hasn't been said about it by now? After seeing the character, I am reaffirming my belief that it will be a truly forgettable character mixed in with a sea of other Pokemon. It gets another patented Sakurai counter, but even worse; it's a two part one. To me, that demarcates a point in these newer characters where Sakurai has run out of ideas with them and just puts in *something*. It was novel when it was just Marth and Roy. Now, it's just the norm. Incineroar is another pass for me, unfortunately. Like I was afraid of, there's nothing special about the character that I'm particularly seeing. And I say this as a huge fan of Pokemon. Like others have said, maybe I wouldn't care so much if this was the final thing we ended up seeing. But it is what it is.

As we flip over to the true introduction to Spirits mode, it's very clear to see why there are so few new characters this time. This along with World of Light must have been an absolute time sink. Something I think people are forgetting is that this is the same team as the one that made two games at once. If they wanted to focus on just adding characters, they could have done it if they really wanted to. However, I think it's probably because the characters themselves are proposed and handled by Sora itself leaving large chunks like spirits mode to Bandai-Namco. At this point in time, I really don't know how I feel about it still. The very first time through I had no clue what Sakurai was talking about as it felt needlessly complicated.

The second watching of the Direct and I think I get the basic premise and it's very, very Sakurai. Reminds me of KI: Uprising to some extent and other things he did in Sm4sh. It could be fun and the basic idea sounds fun, but I fear it's going to get old very quickly. From what I'm seeing right now, the only incentive to play it is based on collecting characters and leveling them up. Hopefully Sakurai sees the problem right away like I do? Pokemon has a similar sounding premise, with the only difference being that you are doing it to defeat gym leaders, difficult trainers, the elite four and eventually online opponents. I didn't see anything to indicate that there's some kind of ladder you climb further on, just more and more challenges until you get sick of it. I hope that's not the case because that would be a lot of time invested in creating a mode for a hamster wheel.

Well, those aren't reasons for being Penultimate though. Isaac being an AT again is; I've been clear about that in my past posting history. As soon as I saw the boxing ring, I knew the rest was history. I can see both sides to this argument of being at least an AT. On the positive side, that means actually seeing him again in a game at all. It's nice to see. Negatively, it just gives me horrible flashbacks of Brawl. Every time I see him on screen is just another time I'll ask myself, why didn't they make you playable? Especially now, since most of the humanoid ATs have full movesets going on.

Seeing what Isaac was doing as an AT was clarifying to me. It was all in the hands. Personally, that was slightly disturbing. Maybe I read too much into things like that, but I feel like screaming out, "He can do more, you know!" And you know they had to research into his character, but they basically stopped half-ass and put the low-effort hands, hands, hands (HEY DID YOU KNOW ISAAC CAN PROJECT HANDS?) into everything. Is that all that a Golden Sun character amounts to in the Smash teams' eyes? We haven't seen everything he can do, so we don't know. Did those hands also just look weird as hell to anyone else? They looked just terrible to me, maybe I just need to see them more. Just something I'd point out.

While Sakurai can break any fan-rule he wants and upgrade ATs in the same development cycle, I really doubt he will. It still amazes me that they actually took all of the time and effort to touch him again after a game of nothing to becoming only an AT. I suppose that would be our ballot talking. It feels so dirty coming up a minute late and a dollar short after all of this, and I sincerely think we didn't do all that bad. Once again, there was a list of priorities and Isaac just missed it. Feels like a constant theme. I suppose the main feeling I have behind not liking him being an AT again is the resentment of it really feeling like a consolation prize, a participation trophy. I could accept it if Isaac was 3rd party or didn't have any success or wasn't too popular or didn't have any Nintendo significance. Instead it just feels like a raw deal.

I know it's not, it just human nature to think like that.

And Piranha Plants certainly don't help to detract from that line of thinking. I'm actually a big fan of the little guy. He looks fun and is a great addition. I think even better than Ken and Incineroar. I think he's just wrong place, wrong time for us and for others like Shadow who were slaughtered. It's an unintended consequence of Sakurai's fervor to give us content. I'm grateful to the man and I will support his game because they always turn out to be a great time.

As for the 5 DLC characters? I don't really know and it's hard to be hopeful of anything to come out of it, really. I do want you to know that you'll have my full support for anything this community decides to do. I'm in it for the love of Golden Sun and the real goal for me is reviving this amazing franchise. It would be nice to be known as the Venus Adept instead of the creepy hand guy by new people. I think Rex is probably the most likely. Dixie? Banjo? Geno? Chorus Kids? Who knows. Probably mostly 3rd party considering the music tracks stuff, so maybe Rayman.

Overall, the newcomers to this roster fall just short this time around. It's going to have to be amended by DLC at this point. The echo characters only really work for me as an accompaniment cast to a solid list of originals. If there were one or two more solid choices here, it would have been okay. We started off strong with Ridley, Simon and K. Rool, it just didn't follow through. Because of that, the echoes feel lackluster and extraneous by themselves. Almost as if they could only come up with a decent sized cast by spreading the butter thin.

Thanks for the chance to vent, I haven't done it on a forum the past two times so it feels great to get ideas off my mind and recorded at least somewhere.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman

Basically boo ****ing hoo. I did my crying, and now I’m ready to fight. And I hope that you guys are too. In the meantime, I’m going to finish my first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia (lovely game by the way!) until Ultimate comes out. And when it does, I will enjoy playing as a that dope *** plant, while beating the ever living **** out of all Incineroars that cross my path.
Honestly I couldn't agree more or have said it any better myself. One of my favorite quotations from Awakening was " The future is not written!" by Lucina. We just have to keep pushing even harder from now onwards.

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Since Sakurai is known to watch some reactions to character reveals. If he watches the Nintendo NY event one, there's a whole collective, 'Nooo!!!' at Isaac's assist trophy reveal.

So essentially:

View attachment 174914

But no, I am actually touched by how much people did want Isaac, I was wary of watching reactions in fear of the, 'Ha Ha he's just an assist!' type of reaction. I mean there's likely some of that somewhere but this makes you feel like maybe it is possible to turn this around, but of course I'm not holding my breath.
Really? Is there an upload of the NY event reaction?

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
After letting the brutality of the Direct wallow in me throughout school today, I realized something. Something other than the fact that Piranha Plants and Incineroars are going to get absolutely massacred online when the game comes out.

Sakurai surely knows the popularity of GS now. What with all the tweets being thrown at him, the personal moments of silence held worldwide at Isaac's disconfirmation, and the mass of GS fans who now feel extremely let down by Nintendo.

If we just keep the support up for a while longer, or, at the very least, remember to show up to polls and whatnot, we might still have a chance...

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
What gets me angry is how they didn't even care to at least give Isaac a sick idle pose like in his game. What is this weird ass ****?

#theydidntcareaboutthefans

1541129550787.png

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Well, I'm glad we now know what happened with the leak, and it does make sense now how it happened. My quick post-mortem thoughts:

- The goal may have been to troll us, but what they ultimately accomplished was putting some very deserving characters in the spotlight, which may just help them eventually get into Smash. I still don't care about the jerk behind the leak, but I do care a lot more about our fellow fanbases and want to help them succeed, and that's bound to last.

- This taught me that, no matter how much effort it might take to fake a leak, I now know Smash attracts people that are crazy enough to do it, which will just help me avoid falling for future leaks.

- Those insiders? They're worth listening to after all. Granted, I still think Vergeben is kind of a jerk, but if all the normal reporters and stuff think something will happen, it's probably not because they're trying to fool or disappoint us with an unideal news story.

The best thing I think we can do now is take that L and move on. I'm here to support Isaac and other great Smash characters, not inflate a troll's ego, so I intend to leave the leak in the past and not give that guy any more of my attention. It was an impressive fake, and that's the last I hope to speak of it.

Last edited:

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Unless there are Spirits of Sora, Banjo, and Three Houses characters already, (and I guess Steve) I kinda stand by it. And I don't even think those characters have tremendous chances, I'd just be hard pressed to give any other characters an edge at this point. Maybe Dixie, if we're lucky.
Considering that all the Spirits are essentially jpeg's, I don't see why nearly every well known Nintendo character imaginable can't be one. That includes Chorus Kids (which are already confirmed Spirits), Elite Beat Agents, Mach Rider, and whoever else could bring awesome moveset potential.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
After letting the brutality of the Direct wallow in me throughout school today, I realized something. Something other than the fact that Piranha Plants and Incineroars are going to get absolutely massacred online when the game comes out.

Sakurai surely knows the popularity of GS now. What with all the tweets being thrown at him, the personal moments of silence held worldwide at Isaac's disconfirmation, and the mass of GS fans who now feel extremely let down by Nintendo.

If we just keep the support up for a while longer, or, at the very least, remember to show up to polls and whatnot, we might still have a chance...
as an assist next game yaaay ;_;

grizby2

Smash Lord
of all characters that I truly thought had it in the bag this time.... god damn...

just.. god... damn. ..

the isabelle direct was better than this, oh, I don't know, freaking slaughter show.

im really sorry you guys. im at a loss for words.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Many of us, myself included, are upset that Isaac's AT wasn't shown earlier. But one positive we can take away from this is that waiting it out until the end allowed us to drum up a lot more hype for the character. Even if he isn't DLC, the response to the Rathalos tweet, GS trending on twitter, the sprout item, and the Grinch leak have all helped raise awareness for Isaac. I agree it was a dumb decision by Sakurai to wait until the very end to slaughter most of the Smash fanbase's hopes and dreams, but we can still take away some good results from a bad decision.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I have to admit, that Isaac assist trophy was the single most painful moment I've ever had in Smash speculation history.
I agree, I think I finally experienced something like this too.

I was at least able to manage Incineroar and Ken, but when I saw the “All the Fighters were Revealed”, Isaac being an AT with Spring Man too, Rex & Pyra not being in for DLC, soon followed by Piranha Plant as a fighter.

I felt emotionless, but it was on a new level for me. I had a weird sudden loss of enjoyment. On one hand I was entering this direct hyped, but it switched quickly to a slew of crushed hopes, that I was in some weird middle. I ended up getting this numb indifferent feeling, I stopped caring about everything else and just got angry of the fact that there was nothing new in this game that could’ve grabbed me.

It did open my eyes a bit though. I said how Lycanroc and Elma were my two other wants, but I realized that after watching the direct, Isaac was truly my most wanted newcomer of all time, so I’ll keep supporting him, and hoping that he can make it in as playable soon.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
It's time for my to make the rounds and vent a bit. I got into the Golden Sun series through viewing this thread and seeing the immense amounts of supports you guys had for Isaac. I got the game on the Wii U Virtual Console and enjoyed the heck out of it. I instantly understood why you wanted this character in Smash so much and he rose to my top 10 most wanted. I really believed he had such a strong chance this time around. Especially after he was safe through two rounds of destruction. I thought it would be such a poor move to string us along until the end, but what do you know? That's exactly what he did.

I can't understate how disappointed I am that he's merely an assist again. I wanted him playable in this game so badly, and that was a factor that lowered the Direct's value to me. I guess we didn't fly close enough to the sun, or something like that. Jeez. This just really stings.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
You know what props to Mario teh plumber I'm sure it took alot of work to pull that off

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Hello, Rhythm Heaven Supporter here, just want to say that it really is quite disheartening that Isaac is back to square one again being an assist. I feel that out of everyone left that could possibly be a fighter, you guys have been thrown harder down the recycling bin. However, I do hope you all understand the amount of support you guys have. Heck, I haven’t even played, seen, or touched anything related to Golden Sun and I still let out a big “Awwwww” when I saw his assist trophy. Don’t give up hope yet though, there is always DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Considering that all the Spirits are essentially jpeg's, I don't see why nearly every well known Nintendo character imaginable can't be one. That includes Chorus Kids (which are already confirmed Spirits), Elite Beat Agents, Mach Rider, and whoever else could bring awesome moveset potential.
Well, yeah, it's not like they can't be characters, they all have good potential, but none of those examples seem like they'd be preferable choices from Nintendo's perspective to offer as paid standalone content. Their audience is limited, and they very much seem like a "slip them into base" kinda choice.

Maybe if they were free like Piranha Plant.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You know what I am genuinely surprised about? The lack of Isaac hate. I saw people bashing him during the Smash 4 days, but they all seem absent.

I don't get it. I legitimately do not get it.

Anyways, this should be a sign for us and raises a big question to the Golden Sun community.

Do you want to keep trying to put someone from Golden Sun into Smash as a playable character no matter how long it takes, including the fact that Sakurai has shown he has no idea how to implement a moveset for the main protagonist.

Or

Do you want to strive for Nintendo not to give up on our beloved series?

The world is starting to crumble and something needs to be done about the lighthouses. What do we do with them?

We need to choose, time is of the essence.

Top Bottom