• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
5 DLC fighters are already planned in advance.
I am going to assume it's Geno as the first character.

Personally, I would think AT being upgrades to fighters would be easier for the team.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey, Isaac fans. I'm sure a lot of you are pretty bummed - I was hoping he'd get in for a friend of mine who loves Isaac. But man, his model looks so good... I don't know if my words have any weight, but I'm happy at least you got that. Us Elma fans got passed over for the more popular sequel, haha...

Condolences and congratulations in equal measure. I understand if this is an emotional time, I just wanted to drop something in. Representation ain't so bad and I'm excited that he has more moves now. But maybe one day! I support you guys.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Alright Adepts. I’m not joking. I’m not being passive. I’m doing something. I’m channeling my rage into something positive, but I can’t do it alone.

I know a lot of us are hurting. Im hurting too. But I’ve spent 8 years wondering if we’ll see the sun again. I’m tired of waiting to see if Nintendo does something. And as ****ing livid as I am about Isaac being ATd... he’s still here. He’s still here. Which means Golden Sun is too. It may be grasping for air and on deaths door, but we need to show Nintendo that this damn franchise still has a chance.

I’ve made this https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSunRisesAga2/with_replies

Please. If you really care about Golden Sun you’ll help me with this. I don’t normally partake in this whole social media thing, but I will get out of my damn comfort zone if it means bringing back one of my favorite games of my childhood. I need help. I don’t want to be alone. It’s taken too damn long to find all of you and I’m not going to give up.

And to those that joined our cause, but may not actually be Golden Sun fans, you don’t have to, in fact, I understand if you don’t want to join this battle. This isn’t yours to fight. But the battle we need to fight isn’t just letting our voices be heard.

Nintendo won’t care if we don’t have the numbers to back it up. So we need people. We need to keep talking. We cannot stop talking. We need to reach out. Talk to others about the world of Weyard. Get them interested in the series, even if they’ve never played a GS game in their lives.

Maybe I’m being delusional. Maybe I’m lashing out. But I’m hurting. But rather than curling up into a ball, I’m doing something, because wallowing in self pitty isn’t going to help anyone. Least of all Golden Sun.

Plus. I’ve enjoyed my time here. This is the first time I’ve actually been able to talk about Golden Sun with people that know the game. I don’t want it to stop. I don’t want to give up. I don’t want to lose all of you.

And if if it turns out it wasn’t meant to be... I’ll live with the fact that I’m in love with a dead franchise. It’ll break my heart, but I’ll move on. But I can’t, in good conscience, give up without trying.

That’s it for now... I... I need to have a lie down.
I don't feel content taking it lying down either!
Edit: So uh... I'll have to make a twitter won't I? I told myself I wouldn't do it. And I pledged to not give into the bandwagon that it pretty much is.
But for something like this I'll strongly consider it.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Wait didn’t he say the dlc was already decided, doesn’t look to good for Matt or Felix then.

Nevertheless, we literally voted to put him back in as an assist trophy ._,

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
what if nintendo is going to make GS4 and the new earth adept is in smash for promotion. nintendo saw the demand for a golden sun character and added isaac back in until new adept is ready

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why did sakurai's eyes look so red and teary? Anyone else notice?
He probably saw the backlash coming from a mile away. How well received was Box Theory when it came to exist? And after that the Grinch... he must have realized he had no way to deliver on the hype. Poor man, he really deserves to rest.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
We need to get on the same page guys. Who are we pushing for now as DLC? Do we push for Felix, do we push for Matthew, or do we keep pushing for Isaac despite being an AT. If can get the story straight we might actually get something in the end. If we scatter to various different requests we won't get anything.
Isaac is done as an AT. They said DLC was only new stuff.
Felix has the problems of Isaac without being Isaac.

Matthew is the best shot. Very similar and thus recognizable to those who know Isaac and most relevant.

Face it,vwe're basically pushing for Isaac II at this point.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
what if nintendo is going to make GS4 and the new earth adept is in smash for promotion. nintendo saw the demand for a golden sun character and added isaac back in until new adept is ready
Id actually hate that because its just a marketing stunt

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Hey, Isaac fans. I'm sure a lot of you are pretty bummed - I was hoping he'd get in for a friend of mine who loves Isaac. But man, his model looks so good... I don't know if my words have any weight, but I'm happy at least you got that. Us Elma fans got passed over for the more popular sequel, haha...

Condolences and congratulations in equal measure. I understand if this is an emotional time, I just wanted to drop something in. Representation ain't so bad and I'm excited that he has more moves now. But maybe one day! I support you guys.
Was there an Elma spirit? If not I could see her as DLC. Sakurai loves the Xeno series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why did sakurai's eyes look so red and teary? Anyone else notice?
He probably saw the backlash coming from a mile away. How well received was Box Theory when it came to exist? And after that the Grinch... he must have realized he had no way to deliver on the hype. Poor man, he really deserves to rest.

spaceperson741

Smash Cadet
We need to get on the same page guys. Who are we pushing for now as DLC? Do we push for Felix, do we push for Matthew, or do we keep pushing for Isaac despite being an AT. If can get the story straight we might actually get something in the end. If we scatter to various different requests we won't get anything.
Isaac for me. In the long run, we're more likely to get Isaac in another game if we consolidate. Ridley got in because fans voted for it in the ballot even after it was said to be impossible. We need to stick with Isaac, in my opinion, to show our undying support.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Actually K. Rool and WFT spirits have been seen, so Geno and Shantae fans can still hope I guess?

I wish you guys luck

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
We're not taking this laying down. Let's let our voices be heard that we want Golden Sun - We'll have to since it doesn't seem like a Golden Sun character is planned on the DLC.

Tag me in on any and all campaigns - I've followed. GOing to be in contact w/ @isaac venus adapt too. PM Convo with the top of us ASAP.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Matthew. I can't really see other GS characters being playable.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Right after the intro I shut it off cause I didn't want to waste my lunch break. Anybody up for spamming Felix stuff everywhere? I am down for it. Might as well annoy the crap out of everybody so we are more noticeable. Also Geno and Banjo fans got shafted...I will go give them digital hugs after work...

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Guys, please, don't take your anger out on Piranha Plant.
It wasn't necessarily chosen over Isaac, as DLC characters are chosen very late in development, and it's a joke/surprise character, so the criteria are different.

I have a better idea, but it's a bit risky. Let's make an actual Golden Sun fangame. Nintendo will probably hit us with the good ol' C&D, but the controversy could boost interest. Remember how a fake leak gave us Dark Dawn? We should go a step further.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm so so sorry Isaac fans. Even though I was personally pleased and happy with the Direct, it does seem weird that they would wait this long only to confirm him as an Assist Trophy. It seemed like he was really likely after getting other fan favorite characters like Ridley and K. Rool, and I really thought vergeben would be wrong.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you think we're only getting 5 DLC characters? That's how I read it. Not like Isaac seems very high on the priorities anyways...

blubber68744

Smash Rookie
Sucks what happened with Isaac, you all have my condolences, it was messed up to reveal him like that in the final direct before release, you'll all get your day.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
More power to you guys, but I think I’m done. Why would Felix or Matthew get in when Isaac couldn’t? After 3 games of heartbreak I don’t want to hope for Golden Sun characters anymore.

I’ll just pray that we get a new Golden Sun game sometime soon.
yeah not happening they only make ****ty sports games now they don't care about us GS fans anymore

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
Guys, vote for Isaac in the Ballot 2.0. K.Rool and Ridley made it that way. It's going to be hard but we need to think in Smash 6

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Guys, I know it's upsetting, but please do not attack Sakurai for this. Yes, we can criticize his decision to bring Isaac back as an AT and to add a joke character no one wanted, or any other decision. But understand the monumental task before him when making a new roster. If you're going to tweet at him, do so respectfully. He works really hard and does his best to create a game we can enjoy, but he's still a man with his own idea of what the game should be.

At this point we need to contact Nintendo and make it known we're not satisfied with just an AT. Mention Isaac as a DLC fighter, mention Felix, Matthew, or Golden Sun in general as well. There's no precedent to an AT becoming playable in the same game, but it's not impossible either. And if Isaac is doomed to remain an AT there's still other GS candidates. Spread the word however you can on social media and contact Nintendo directly. We need to look at the Ridley fanbase and continue believing like they did. And keep making ourselves heard outside of these forums.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Who else died inside when after Ken and Incineroar were revealed Sakurai said “That’s it for all the new fighters!”??

3 minutes into the Direct!!!!! A 40 minute Direct and the Fighters were done just like that. I was watching Billy’s stream and saw him die inside.

Of course we got the popular piranha plant though as a surprise.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I don't think being a spirit harms a character's chances as I saw confirmed characters being a spirit.
I don't know man. Seems a little too optimistic to hope for. I'd say push the one most recognizable but yeah this is the result we got for it this time.
Pushing for a new game or remaster would be better. Smash is a no go. If Sakurai can't see it then there is literally no hope for Smash representation. Sorry. As much as I could see it myself it's just not likely if others do not.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Guys being a spirit isn’t deconfirmation: Fox, WFT, and K. Rool spirits have all been seen

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I got no words. But again, I guess this was just meant to be.

I'm just kind of appalled that Ultimate didn't want to entirely end with bang. Again.

N3ON N3ON

Props at least for the right move.
Thanks, this is the unfortunate silver lining of having tempered my expectations a long time ago. It's nice to have closure though.

Sadly this is the earliest into the Smash cycle that we've ever learned of Isaac's fate. Can you believe that?

Well, Matthew is actually a spirit it seems.
Neat!

Though now it's hit me that Isaac won't get a trophy, and that kinda bites.

Trophies were better.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Well...it's been a roller coaster of a speculation season. Never would have guessed it would turn out this way. I think for me, this marks the end of any expectations I've had of ever playing as Isaac in smash brothers. Been rooting for him since before brawl but his chances were the highest ever this time around considering the other fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool that got in but he STILL got the assist trophy treatment. It really stinks because GS is one of my favorite series from my childhood and Isaac would have been such a unique and interesting character to main.

I think continuing to hope for him somehow making it after this is just inviting more disappointment though. Imagine how much more satisfied you'd be with this roster if you never knew or cared about Golden Sun. It definitely negatively affects your perception of the game despite the fact that I'm sure its going to be amazing and super fun to play. I'll always have that little bit of involuntary hope in the back of my mind that Isaac will be announced as playable in a future iteration of smash but I don't think I'm going to be involved with speculation/hype nearly as much moving forward. Reality can be the cruelest mistress for those of us with high hopes and expectations.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
AT is more of a deconfirmation than spirit tbh

Spirits have a higher promotion chance

Now wth is up with the sprout and why is there Custom Robo stuff but the Custom Robo trade mark was NOT renewed while Mach Rider, Golden Sun, etc. were?

So many weird mysteries still even after this direct.

Ninetales Commander

Smash Cadet
I honestly thought I was prepared for this but when I saw Isaac as an assist trophy, my heart just went cold. I can't believe it! We've been trying so hard this entire time and this is what we get? After some time, I came to accept that at least they acknowledged him....and then Piranha Plant showed up...
Now don't get me wrong, I am actually happy Piranha Plant is in as I really love him but seeing him get in and not Issac is just....I don't even know, all I can say is at least now I know how Lyn and Waluigi fans feel.
What's more is Skull Kid was deconfirmed as well, if you go to the Assist Trophy page on the website, he's on there.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m totally depressed now. im Going to keep fighting against Nintendo for this injustice as maybe a golden sun 4 could come and the protagonist could be the next dlc. Cause if spirits deconfirm any character, then we can’t rally for Matthew either as he is that. Felix is the only real chance we got. All i know is at the age of 22 years old and someone who has been fighting for Isaac the past 10 years, I’m now at a breaking point. There will never be a smash bros of this caliber ever again and I don’t think I can respect sakurai ever again after his stupid decisions. Shantae and Isaac really deserved better. Not a ****ing piranha plant getting a character slot. That’s just wrong.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
We've just gotta keep being vocal. We can't give upon now. Isaac DESERVES to be in more then the plant and the cat.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I'm not content with the result and I don't think any of us SHOULD be. WE pushed way too damn hard just for this....this slap to the face. We at least deserve a new damned entry into this franchise whether that's a sequel or a remaster/remake. SOMETHING. WE DESERVE SOMETHING!

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
To be honest I don't think I'll keep pushing with the survivors. Not only because of Isaac or because I'm upset right now. But I'm just tired. 5 smash games and not a single character I ever wished for got in. My curse proved to be right once again, I'll never know what it feels like to see this special character appear on the screen. But it's fine I'll still enjoy the game for what it's worth.
I'm exhausted of the expectations / speculations game so I'll just pass the torch on to the next gen. May they have more luck than I ever had !

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Tis the life of an Isaac supporter. Remember, “Isaac fans are used to disappointment.”
It’ll be okay guys, It was definitely a hard blow...honestly Id still rather him not be in the game at all.

Top Bottom