• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
It’s been a ton of fun running GS_****posts with soniclink, and I’ve seen a more positive outlook for the future of golden sun and our smashes chances in our community then ever before by extension, but I’ve really been struggling the past few days to shake off the feeling we’re far from out of the woods, that maybe we’re still several years off from anything new, instead of the hoped one or two from me. Gamexplain And other Nintendo YouTubers actively predicting Camelot’s next game to Mario golf certainly isn’t helping that mentality on my part.

Ughh...I hate to be the negative one, because usually when I am I feel like I just make folks upset. Which is never my actual intentions. I suppose it comes with the territory.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If GS gets a sequel or a remaster, I really hope it gets released in where I live.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
It’s been a ton of fun running GS_****posts with soniclink, and I’ve seen a more positive outlook for the future of golden sun and our smashes chances in our community then ever before by extension, but I’ve really been struggling the past few days to shake off the feeling we’re far from out of the woods, that maybe we’re still several years off from anything new, instead of the hoped one or two from me. Gamexplain And other Nintendo YouTubers actively predicting Camelot’s next game to Mario golf certainly isn’t helping that mentality on my part.

Ughh...I hate to be the negative one, because usually when I am I feel like I just make folks upset. Which is never my actual intentions. I suppose it comes with the territory.
Honestly, I don't have any concerns about what Camelot is working on, to the point where I would be shocked if it is golf. The timeframes, outcry, success of other JRPGs, historical sales, trademark, nah, I can't see it. I want you to picture in your mind GameExplain's post-direct video or the comment section on /r/NintendoSwitch all being like "And then we got a new Golden Sun game! This came completely out of the blue. I don't think anybody saw that coming." I can just hear it and see it in my head and see myself responding that, oh wait, we in the community all totally predicted this because of the evidence.

I've got two concerns, myself. First, that there's no translating/VA leaks. I know on corners of the internet that I heard details about Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Pokemon Masters long before they came out (though admittedly after their announcement) because of the translation work being so heavy and involving so many people. If a Golden Sun game does exist, the translation effort would have lead to _someone_ saying something about it. At least some rumblings of something. But we haven't gotten a peep. And if it's voice acted---one, awesome, two, that's even more work required. That either points to it not existing at all (oof) or not being at that stage in production yet. Give translation-based rumors/leaks 4-6 months before release because they want worldwide simultaneous releases now and GS Switch would be Fall/Winter this year or later... But then it's running up against Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Default 2, which is totally doable just... idk. But then again, a remake wouldn't require a re-translation...

Also consider it's been a little over a year and a half since Aces. More than enough time to put out a golf game with all the assets and engine they already have, for sure (just look at their release history), but maybe not enough time yet to put together a new Golden Sun.

Tied into this is my other question: how ambitious would a new Golden Sun be? Just a redone new sprite/vector art remaster of TBS/TLA with no VA sold for $40 could hit this summer. Then it's Octopath Traveler-esque in scope and doable in two years. But polygonal means you have to redesign all the puzzles and areas, a new story means new writing, it means you basically require VA or end up with the Pokemon memes. Even if it's on the scale of a Bravely Default or I Am Setsuna, that's probably a good 2.5 years in development. And I would be floored if they decided to go further and make Golden Sun as big a thing as something like XC2 or the new FFVII remake in scope. Even with EPD2 helping, Camelot would need more manpower. FE:3H requied all of the much bigger IS _and_ Koei Temco, and the staff that worked on XC2 and BotW's worlds was massive. That would be nuts.

My second concern is that Camelot working on Golden Sun actually doesn't mean anything for Smash. I mean, eventually it would, rekindle the brand and all that, but there's no guarantee that a GS4 begets a playable Venus Adept in Smash Bros Ultimate at all, let alone soon. Again, I think GS playable in Smash is likely given what happened leading up to the release of Ultimate and the timeframes of these decisions being made and whatnot, but I just have a frightening chill that GS Switch is a small project, makes few waves and Isaac stays an assist trophy. I suppose the more investment there is in a GS4, the better the chance of playable Golden Sun there is.

So yeah, this suspected January direct is the breaking point. It's conceivably the last chance they would ever have to show Mario Golf (again, that would be astonishingly slow for them, even for a March release) or the first time they have to show Golden Sun on Switch. If we make it out of this direct without golf and somehow not even a teaser trailer for Golden Sun, well that's as good as a teaser trailer for Golden Sun. Then it's undoubtedly an E3 reveal for late 2020 or early 2021 game, and more likely to have voice acting and a larger scope.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
My bet at this point remains a TBS/TLA remaster, I'm guessing as a relatively low-key, $40, digital-only release. A remaster instead of a remake would be relatively low-risk, wouldn't mandate an E3 reveal, and would explain why Camelot has been quiet for this long given the work needed to make two lengthy GBA games look decent in HD. Of course, it could still be Mario Golf, which I think remains a strong possibility given that Nintendo's 2019 slate was relatively packed, making a delay to 2020 ideal for marketing purposes, but Golden Sun feels right. I guess we'll find out soon enough, as there are a lot of unknowns for Nintendo this year and a full Direct feels increasingly inevitable.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still gonna doubt Mario Golf just because Aces was built off a Wii U game, something Camelot can't do with golf.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
How would you remaster a GBA game though ? It's not like you could just run an ENB, bloom and filters like with a DS game like we do on an emulator to make dark dawn look prettier. They'd have to redo it, at least graphically. That'd be new higher resolution sprites etc, at least.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It would be more like Link's awakening did a remake, because yes, when it comes to sprites from that many gens ago, you don't really remaster anymore, lol. Unless you're just porting them as untouched as possible, which honestly doesn't appeal so much anymore these days to new audiences (unless you're a sucker for sprites like I am lmao)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How would you remaster a GBA game though ? It's not like you could just run an ENB, bloom and filters like with a DS game like we do on an emulator to make dark dawn look prettier. They'd have to redo it, at least graphically. That'd be new higher resolution sprites etc, at least.
Golden Sun seems to use pre-rendered models. Does Camelot still have the original images?

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I might be underestimating the work required, but I feel like most of the non-combat sprites would work just fine, with some touchups for anything that aged particularly poorly as well as the overworld. Yeah, it'd still be very pixelated, but I think the existing art style would work fine, just as many retro and retro-style games still do. Combat-wise, well, a lot of work would be needed to bring all the sprites, backgrounds, and animations up to par, but I think that still beats remaking the games entirely in a new engine and all the work that entails.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah... I don't think they could simply remaster the games and release them new. Golden Sun and The Lost Age were gorgeous games by GBA standards, but they wouldn't be able to hold up for a remaster. The games would have to be remade, like Link's Awakening HD or Pokemon LGP/E (ugh). Hopefully more to the detail of the former, but with their own style.

I'd love a full reimagining of them like Final Fantasy VII Remake, but... Final Fantasy VII gets that treatment because it is Final Fantasy VII, a super popular title from a huge franchise. Golden Sun is a disadvantaged franchise at this point. So I wouldn't expect either a remake or a new Golden Sun to reach its full potential, which is sad because I think the legacy of how beautiful Golden Sun was on the GBA should translate to future titles, and if you make it look like LGP/E, well, that's all kind of lost. =(

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'm still gonna doubt Mario Golf just because Aces was built off a Wii U game, something Camelot can't do with golf.
They all run on the same engine, so it isn't hard to develop Golf. The main deal is that it's been over two years since Camelot stopped Aces, so if it is Golf it for some odd reason has an exceptionally long dev cycle

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm personally expecting a potential remake to have a decent production value in it. Not overly expensive but close to how the Trials of Mana remake looks maybe. Something similar to how the world map in Mario Tennis Aces world map looks but repurposed for Golden Sun. That or they'd go the 2D approach maybe, they have a good amount of options. And yeah personally I'm more confident in Golden Sun over Mario Golf, I feel it has way more things backing it up

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
It remains my belief that any new GS game will be a TBS/TLA remake, not a remaster. A GBA remaster would not work in any way. I bet that the game will look pretty good, but the production value won't be like BotW or any huge triple A game. The biggest change will be the combination of the two games, but I believe that it will make both games better as a whole.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

At least Alex is persistent. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or not. Lol

Honestly, IF Golf happens, then we are to blame because we didn’t show demand for Golden Sun much earlier. But we are doing so now finally and we shall continue to show demand even more. Nintendo WILL hear our cries if they haven’t already.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
If Nintendo forced Camelot to work on a Golf game before Golden Sun, all **** will break loose in the fan community. We'll be rioting, I'm sure plenty of sympathizers will as well, and hopefully we make a big enough stink to get ourselves noticed once and for all as a large, though formerly passive, dedicated, passionate, and most of all, excited group of people that share a love for an incredible game series.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Just want to clear something up
1578555040231.png
See this image? Seems fine, right? Wrong. That little 42 beside the "Number of employees" is completely wrong. If you follow the citation you'll see that the 42 comes from the total men employed; it excludes the women, who number 32 total. So that number should be 74. This is relevant since, barring downsizing or upscaling, the company should have stayed around this number.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Just want to clear something up
See this image? Seems fine, right? Wrong. That little 42 beside the "Number of employees" is completely wrong. If you follow the citation you'll see that the 42 comes from the total men employed; it excludes the women, who number 32 total. So that number should be 74. This is relevant since, barring downsizing or upscaling, the company should have stayed around this number.
You are wrong, Google Translate is doing it badly.

They are saying: 42名 男32名 女10名

It means 42 persons: 32 men and 10 women.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
So the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games got a remake. Hopefully another beloved pair of GBA classics can follow through (wink, wink)

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
So the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games got a remake. Hopefully another beloved pair of beloved GBA classics can follow through (wink, wink)
This could be the year where the GBA era gets what it rightfully deserves - I'm crying over Mystery Dungeon, but Golden Sun, hoo boy.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
A 3d GS would be great, especially since we can see those awesome battle visuals more clearly than ever.

Smash Lord
A 3d GS would be great, especially since we can see those awesome battle visuals more clearly than ever.
Dark Dawn pretty much was a 3D Golden Sun but a HD Golden Sun will be where it's at fellas whether it's a new adventure or revisiting the first two games again

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Dark Dawn is only quasi-3D. I (and many others) call that style 2.5D. I'm always disappointed when remakes of 2D games are in 2.5D instead of being a bit more ambitious, but with Golden Sun, I just want it to be revived at all, so if it is revived as 2.5D I will bite my tongue.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The Mystery Dungeon remake is definitely a welcome surprise, but at the same time Pokemon and Link's Awakening are far safer bets for Nintendo than the long-dormant Golden Sun. It would be awesome if they did the full TBS/TLA remake, or even just TBS now and TLA a little later, but would projects of that scale really be greenlit by current Nintendo? I remain skeptical.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pokemon and Link's Adventure are far safer bets for Nintendo than the long-dormant Golden Sun
If they really wanted to be safe the Pokemon remake that was announced today would be for Diamond and Pearl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games got a remake. Hopefully another beloved pair of GBA classics can follow through (wink, wink)
Another RPG remake. Sure it's Pokémon, but it's good. Now I only expect Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger before we see Golden Sun... Am still quite confident it'll happen, eventually.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If they really wanted to be safe the Pokemon remake that was announced today would be for Diamond and Pearl.
Game Freak released Sword and Shield less than two months ago, so it's far too early to be announcing Diamond/Pearl even if that's their next big project. Mystery Dungeon, on the other hand, should be primarily developed by Spike Chunsoft, so it's easy to develop concurrently and release between other Pokemon projects. It's not unlike how Link's Awakening was made by Grezzo while the main Zelda team works on Breath of the Wild 2.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I have absolutely zero interest in Mystery Dungeon, but I will admit that looks like a good art style to go with on the idea of a TBS/TLA remake.

Smash Lord
I have absolutely zero interest in Mystery Dungeon, but I will admit that looks like a good art style to go with on the idea of a TBS/TLA remake.
Tbh I feel that kind of artstyle is way too cutesy and simplistic for Golden Sun, it works for PMD really well but not something that has a more intense atmosphere and tackles heavier themes like Golden Sun. I feel like they should embrace the visual style that the promotional artwork of the series had, they look great and it'll be amazing seeing something like that in motion
1578626724362.png

1578626816624.png

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I tell you what, there's nothing worse than an information drought. Nothing to discuss, nothing to even really speculate on. So, I'll ask this of you guys: who do you think will be Fighter 5? My money is on Lloyd, with Phoenix Wright as a backup. I'd be more than happy with either of these picks, though I'd slightly prefer Phoenix.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I tell you what, there's nothing worse than an information drought. Nothing to discuss, nothing to even really speculate on. So, I'll ask this of you guys: who do you think will be Fighter 5? My money is on Lloyd, with Phoenix Wright as a backup. I'd be more than happy with either of these picks, though I'd slightly prefer Phoenix.
I would back and want Lloyd since he grew quickly to be one of my favorites, but Reggie said these 5 fighters are from a series that have never been in Smash.
For my personal favorite, it's Hornet from HK.
But to be realistic, I think it's someone like Arle or a Capcom character like Phoenix or Amaterasu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom