• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Geralt is out as he is a book character first, but he'd fit the underwhelming last character condition !
Kratos could happen I guess, but I don't really see him as a good fit. However he would fit the condition of having a sidekick :p
In what world is Geralt an underwhelming last character? I mean, my money is on Kratos if we get a Sony rep, but if Sakurai breaks his own rule and adds Geralt - That's hardly underwhelming. The dude's the star of one of the most critically acclaimed games of the decade. Sure, he might be underwhelming to you, but "Underwhelming last character condition" is only that if it applies to a majority of fans, which it won't.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If that's the case then there is no underwhelming character rule because every new addition causes people to go insane and love the character till the post reveal euphoria wears off.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Calm down man, I was kidding. I know he'd be hype for a lot of people. Just not for me, even though I love the witcher games. I just don't care about seeing Geralt in smash at all. Because he doesn't mean anything as gaming character to me.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
As someone who has never read the books or played the games, he is more game character than book just because the games completely overshadowed the base media. Still don't care about him but if he was in it wouldn't be as shocking to me as it probably would be to others.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
As someone who has never read the books or played the games, he is more game character than book just because the games completely overshadowed the base media. Still don't care about him but if he was in it wouldn't be as shocking to me as it probably would be to others.
regardless, ownership still defaults to the author while creative direction is with cdprojekt. That means not only is it a western character to negotiate, you still have to deal with the author as well

If they bite the bullet on "non video game characters", it's on Goku. I see no other characters.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
regardless, ownership still defaults to the author while creative direction is with cdprojekt. That means not only is it a western character to negotiate, you still have to deal with the author as well

If they bite the bullet on "non video game characters", it's on Goku. I see no other characters.
I agree I'm just saying I can see him being a game character in the eyes of Sakurai and others. I don't think he's actually happening ever though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

That's not needed, CD Projekt Red owns the rights for use in videogames.

The author was really pissed off about that, considering he sold them for nothing and then the franchise became a gaming juggernaut.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Geralt is in a difficult spot, to be honest. The Smash team and Sakurai are japanese, working with a big company like Microsoft is something, working with a way smaller polish company is another. Moreover, the licensing may be hard to get for The Witcher, since it's probably at least shared with the book author.

If what's deconfirmed is true, the only real runner-up is Sony, honestly. Be it Kratos, Nathan Drake or hopefully Ratchet & Clank.

However, I could see two other possibilities:
  • Vergeben deconfirmed Square Enix, not Disney. But since the start, he is considering Sora under Square Enix, despite being a Disney character. He's in a weird spot.
  • Vergeben listed both Activision and Blizzard, despite Blizzard being under Activision. Maybe deconfirming some of these companies doesn't deconfirm their own sub-companies, like Mojang owned by Microsoft for example.
Edit: I completely forgot but there's another runner-up, in Tencent and Riot: League of Legends

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
the licensing may be hard to get for The Witcher, since it's probably at least shared with the book author.
Another user claimed CD Projekt fully owns the right to use him in video games meaning the original author wouldn't have a say if a collaboration was discussed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they can get Geralt in Daemon x Machina, the licensing must not be too prohibitive.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Geralt is in a difficult spot, to be honest. The Smash team and Sakurai are japanese, working with a big company like Microsoft is something, working with a way smaller polish company is another. Moreover, the licensing may be hard to get for The Witcher, since it's probably at least shared with the book author.

If what's deconfirmed is true, the only real runner-up is Sony, honestly. Be it Kratos, Nathan Drake or hopefully Ratchet & Clank.

However, I could see two other possibilities:
  • Vergeben deconfirmed Square Enix, not Disney. But since the start, he is considering Sora under Square Enix, despite being a Disney character. He's in a weird spot.
  • Vergeben listed both Activision and Blizzard, despite Blizzard being under Activision. Maybe deconfirming some of these companies doesn't deconfirm their own sub-companies, like Mojang owned by Microsoft for example.
Edit: I completely forgot but there's another runner-up, in Tencent and Riot: League of Legends
Bandai Namco already did for Soul Calibur 6. Plus, what Nauzgo said.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954

looks like verge is retracting the better part of his statement. Only specific characters he mentioned are out, not the companies listed nor spirits or assists.

I still don't buy his word regardless, but as far as I'm concerned we aren't nearly in as weird of a situation as thought no matter what you think

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954

looks like verge is retracting the better part of his statement. Only specific characters he mentioned are out, not the companies listed nor spirits or assists.

I still don't buy his word regardless, but as far as I'm concerned we aren't nearly in as weird of a situation as thought no matter what you think
TBF, I think we're much better at this whole (not believing leakers thing" ever since the Grinch debacle, so this was to be expected.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then back to believe it will be Steve, with fallback on Sora and Phoenix.
If Steve is somehow CP5, I hope there are memes parodying how Sakurai said that it's important a character is fun to play, not just recognizable before he was revealed a month later.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
With this I'd probably say Phoenix seems like the most likely scenario again.

Not to get my hopes up, but considering Phoenix Wright is my second most wanted (just like Banjo & Kazooie before) it does feel like a similar situation....

Also if Phoenix Wright gets in I'm making Isaac my second most wanted character. :p

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
With this I'd probably say Phoenix seems like the most likely scenario again.

Not to get my hopes up, but considering Phoenix Wright is my second most wanted (just like Banjo & Kazooie before) it does feel like a similar situation....

Also if Phoenix Wright gets in I'm making Isaac my second most wanted character. :p
Phoenix is my number two as well! I don't want him nearly as much as Isaac, but I'd love to see him join the battle. My first instinct is still Lloyd, however.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'm still thinking there's a relatively good chance #5 actually is Isaac, but we'll just have to wait and see

Kalaam

Smash Ace
With a new GS on the way, I feel like it's very likely that Isaac will be the Corrin of this pass.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm still thinking there's a relatively good chance #5 actually is Isaac, but we'll just have to wait and see
Eh my hope doesn't stretch quite that far.

I'm pretty much placing my hopes and dreams on post fighter pass.

With a new GS on the way, I feel like it's very likely that Isaac will be the Corrin of this pass.
I haven't heard anything about a new Golden Sun game...

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I’m usually an optimistic person, but I just can’t bring myself to think that Isaac has a chance to be FP5. Post Pass, however, I have hope!
I will say that if he miraculously is FP5, it would be the greatest thing to ever happen! Especially if it’s tied to a new Golden Sun game next year. That would be glorious.
Isaac would also break a lot of fan rules too like:
•ATs deconfirm
•Spirits deconfirm
•Mii Costumes deconfirm
•Fighters Pass is all 3rd Party
•We’re not getting another RPG character in the Pass
•He’s irreverent
•Etc.

That’s a lot right there. *sigh* What a dream that would be. I envy an alternate universe that will do that. lol

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I’m usually an optimistic person, but I just can’t bring myself to think that Isaac has a chance to be FP5. Post Pass, however, I have hope!
I will say that if he miraculously is FP5, it would be the greatest thing to ever happen! Especially if it’s tied to a new Golden Sun game next year. That would be glorious.
Isaac would also break a lot of fan rules too like:
•ATs deconfirm
•Spirits deconfirm
•Mii Costumes deconfirm
•Fighters Pass is all 3rd Party
•We’re not getting another RPG character in the Pass
•He’s irreverent
•Etc.

That’s a lot right there. *sigh* What a dream that would be. I envy an alternate universe that will do that. lol
Yeah, I personally doubt he'll be Fighter Pass 5. That was decided pre-release, so why would they keep Isaac's Assist in the game? I hope he's FP5, however, because that guarantees a stage, music, and spirits, and boy do I want more Golden Sun music.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There is no way FP5 isn't anyone from a previously unrepresented third party IP.

There's the old saying: One is chance (Joker), two is coincidence (Hero), three forms a pattern (Banjo). And Terry just continues that pattern.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Old sayings are meaningless as far as statistics and circumstance goes. Patterns have historically never gone over well at all in any fighting game, much less Smash.

Nobody's saying "expect a first party because everything else has been third party", as that would be gambler's fallacy. We're saying it's hardly something to rule out just due to something as shaky as a "pattern". Just because the last four DLCs have been third party doesn't mean at all that the fifth must be third party as well, and Corrin exemplifies it, being the sole Nintendo newcomer in Smash 4 DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, one shouldn't rule out the possibility of a Nintendo character as FP5, but it's certainly not something I'd suggest betting on; there's quite a large gap between possible and likely.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
What's actually the reasoning behind people suspecting Waluigi as FP5? Is there some solid evidence to support this claim, I'd check the Geno thread but I'm lazy.
So many other feasible character's are out of the running that it's starting to just sound likely by means of the sheer scale of number of people taken out of the running for character 5.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Eh my hope doesn't stretch quite that far.

I'm pretty much placing my hopes and dreams on post fighter pass.

I haven't heard anything about a new Golden Sun game...
The new trademark that was filed last year got fully issued this november. It's now on the same level as any Switch Game trademark.
The only other time it happened, it was for Dark Dawn. So I think it's safe to say an announcement is due very soon.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
For those who are not following...

This "leak" got mocked. But since, one of its statement went right (about KH3 DLC) and two others are heavily rumored (about HZD and SMT), the character it's saying is FP5 is more speculated.
https://twitter.com/connord60546505/status/1197563532633681921

And then Vergeben went back on this character, who was previously deconfirmed by him in his big list of deconfirmed characters. He "doesn't know" now.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954/931304870

Kalaam

Smash Ace
So the guy did one correct guess and that's it. I should do the same, since GS is a lock. I could just make bold statement about other stuff and be called a leaker x)

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
If it is Kos-Mos, I am completely indifferent. Haven't played Xenosaga and actually pulled every other blade BUT her in XC2 (Finch for Smash). I guess it makes sense with Sakurai saying in the latest showcase something about Bamco employees knowing their company's characters. I guess it's slightly bad that it's another JRPG character. I just can't imagine revealing her at the Game Awards would be very hype.

It would be kind of grim after that though. Only four other characters throughout all 2020? The other leak PapaGenos pulls up that calls Kos-Mos had Ryu Hayabusa and Reimu, both of which are third-party again and not what we're asking for, nor big fan requests.

Big oof.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The new trademark that was filed last year got fully issued this november. It's now on the same level as any Switch Game trademark.
The only other time it happened, it was for Dark Dawn. So I think it's safe to say an announcement is due very soon.
Is there a link to the renewed trademark? I'm just curious in knowing the details.

Hope this leads to a new Golden Sun happening on the Switch or at least a remake.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Is there a link to the renewed trademark? I'm just curious in knowing the details.

Hope this leads to a new Golden Sun happening on the Switch or at least a remake.
Sure buddy: https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp Type "GOLDENSUN" in the search bar (you can turn the website in english at the top right) then go on the third tab.
You can see that it's noted as "issued and active" (been that way since november) and it has the same category as other switch games.

Screenshot of Trademark Info

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sure buddy: https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp Type "GOLDENSUN" in the search bar (you can turn the website in english at the top right) then go on the third tab.
You can see that it's noted as "issued and active" (been that way since november) and it has the same category as other switch games.

Screenshot of Trademark Info
IIRC, the dates are for the Application and the Registration respectively right? So wouldn't that mean it's literally just the application for the trademark last year being registered? i.e. Literally just the same thing from last year being in effect now?

For comparison, the trademark for Advance Wars was applied for on Dec 4th last year and was only registered Oct 25th this year.

Forgive me if I have this wrong but maybe it's not worth looking in to like we thought?

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
It was registered this summer, then it got into a period of opposition for a few month. This november it entered the final stage "Issued and Active" meaning you can't oppose it anymore (so it means, probably, that nintendo showed proof of use)

Top Bottom