• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

BlackInk

Smash Lord
IMHO if Reimu was happening, she'd have been revealed last month, since there's zero benefit in having her be at TGA unless for whatever reason a Touhou game will be there. Which is doubtful, as Touhou is a very Japan-oriented series, as in they don't make decisions based on the demographic outside Japan.

I'm certain that whoever #5 is must be also promoting a game world premiering at TGA, and at this rate is honestly unlikely to even be a third party at all.
No, Nintendo has to prove that they will give all dlc fighters a highlight.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, you think that the 5th character is tied to a game announcement NessAtc. NessAtc. ? I mean, it’s quite possible, but Joker didn’t get that. Neither did Banjo. I doubt FP5 would be promoting a game honestly. But, you have any possible candidates for that case?

It would be funny if Isaac was FP5 to promote a new Golden Sun game, but that’s impossible, unfortunately...

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
It's probably ether sora or reimu considering there's not much else left that hasn't been reconfirmed (though this could be a K Rool situation where the day before the direct they said that there would be no more DK characters and yet, k rool).

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
So, you think that the 5th character is tied to a game announcement NessAtc. NessAtc. ? I mean, it’s quite possible, but Joker didn’t get that. Neither did Banjo. I doubt FP5 would be promoting a game honestly. But, you have any possible candidates for that case?

It would be funny if Isaac was FP5 to promote a new Golden Sun game, but that’s impossible, unfortunately...
If it promotes a game, it's a first party. I don't see Nintendo pick and reach a third party "only if it has a new game to show at the same time", but it makes sense if it's their own character. Isaac is perfect for that. Elma could also see a XCX remaster or XCX2. Maybe Advance Wars, a game way more renown in the west, could get in too.

It's probably ether sora or reimu considering there's not much else left that hasn't been reconfirmed
I will stick to believe it will be Steve until we know who it is.
But it could perfectly be someone we didn't excepted, like Master chief, or any Sony character (most likely Kratos or Ratchet imo).

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The only instance of a Fighter's Pass character being tied to an upcoming release was when they showed the trailer for the DQ11S right after Hero's reveal trailer

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
It will be Bellona from SMITE. Mark my words. /s

No. I mean, it will be Steve, honestly. He's not enough in sight, but there are plenty of reasons to be him.
As someone who was Diamond as a Bellona main back before I quit Smite some years ago, hellllll ****ing ya. My other favorite left field pick is the Witch from Dungeon Fighter Online. Profile pic related.

I'm actually quite hyped for this reveal! I've beaten the first three Ace Attorney games and Phoenix would be a welcome addition, a ton of other frontrunners that I would _not_ enjoy playing as are out of the picture, and the odds of a new Golden Sun game on Switch/Adept in Smash Ultimate increase with every deconfirmation.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I know a lot of people are expecting a Smash reveal at TGA, but I'm not. Joker's reveal only happened because of incredibly special circumstances: the game's launch literally at midnight that night, the unique hype that could come from a reveal at a non-Nintendo-related event, and Joker's unique character as someone who literally "steals the show". My money is on a Direct in January.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I know a lot of people are expecting a Smash reveal at TGA, but I'm not. Joker's reveal only happened because of incredibly special circumstances: the game's launch literally at midnight that night, the unique hype that could come from a reveal at a non-Nintendo-related event, and Joker's unique character as someone who literally "steals the show". My money is on a Direct in January.
“Nintendo is dropping off from showcasing the next fighter in TGA, where they are nominated, because the next fighter isn’t hip with the kids.”
Really? Does no one understand what smash is? They are the reason for the fire emblem’s popularity in the west! Right now, the fighter can be anything and they’ll still make money off of it.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think they wanted Joker to be revealed at the TGAs just for a "steal the show" pun. It will also be a few or so days after Ultimate's one year anniversary so if they needed a special occasion or circumstance there's that...

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well on Nintendo's site they are doing a holiday give away based on games and December 12th is Smash and the tag line is "A new prize has appeared" so yeah Nintendo has basically all but held a press conference about showing a fighter at the VGAs at this point.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Well on Nintendo's site they are doing a holiday give away based on games and December 12th is Smash and the tag line is "A new prize has appeared" so yeah Nintendo has basically all but held a press conference about showing a fighter at the VGAs at this point.
Apparently that's just a copy of the game being given away.

Also, hello again Isaac thread. I really should come here more often.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Apparently that's just a copy of the game being given away.

Also, hello again Isaac thread. I really should come here more often.
Yes it is. I never thought it would be fighter 5's amiibo. It's still a Smash related thing on VGA day. A giveaway of the game after the hype of a new reveal is a great marketing strategy.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
The second point would also apply to this TGA, and Sakurai said in an interview that Nintendo wanted a trailer for fighter one regardless, but only could use the animation because Joker was not ready yet.

And January seems too late for a reveal to me considering how quickly characters have come lately, the character would come relatively soon with little buildup.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The second point would also apply to this TGA, and Sakurai said in an interview that Nintendo wanted a trailer for fighter one regardless, but only could use the animation because Joker was not ready yet.

And January seems too late for a reveal to me considering how quickly characters have come lately, the character would come relatively soon with little buildup.
Nintendo wants the dlc to gain as much attention as possible. Wasting the TGA will be a horrendous business move.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Sabi just "deconfirmed" Sora, but I couldn't see him as Fighter 5 anyways.
That’s a shame. Though not surprising either. It’s weird, Sora is a mixed bag for me, but barely makes it to my top wanted list of characters. I think I would have been a lot more excited for him had Isaac been playable already. Maybe down the line, perhaps?

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
“Nintendo is dropping off from showcasing the next fighter in TGA, where they are nominated, because the next fighter isn’t hip with the kids.”
Really? Does no one understand what smash is? They are the reason for the fire emblem’s popularity in the west! Right now, the fighter can be anything and they’ll still make money off of it.
That's... not what I said. Like... at all.
I don't think they wanted Joker to be revealed at the TGAs just for a "steal the show" pun. It will also be a few or so days after Ultimate's one year anniversary so if they needed a special occasion or circumstance there's that...
Didn't it come out that Reggie is the one that suggested revealing Joker at TGA? It's literally the only time that a Smash fighter has been announced at a non-Nintendo event (not counting E3, which is different because Nintendo airs a Direct there anyway).

Well, Terry was announced in September and released in November. I don't see how shortening a two-month reveal-to-release cycle to a one-month (almost two, if they're announced in early Jan and released late Feb) would change much.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Sony and Microsoft are both not participating in The Game Awards this year, instead opting to run their own presentations on a cheaper budget, since TGA world premieres are more work to do. Nintendo could easily just decide not to do stuff there as well, much less not reveal a character there

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Bros are you seeing the absolute madness going on over at the Geno Thread!? There just might be some insight that Waluigi could in fact be our 5th fighter for the FP and you know what that could mean? ISAAC CAN MAKE IT IN SEASON 2!!!!!

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think the Waluigi for Fighter's Pass 5 is impossible, unless they moved someone out of the fighter's pass for him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I honestly think the Waluigi for Fighter's Pass 5 is impossible, unless they moved someone out of the fighter's pass for him.
Yup. Plans for the pass were finalized in March 2018, before the Waluigi backlash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't see it as impossible.

However its not a scenario I can see happening based on what's already happened.

If Waluigi got in it was because they changed their old plans. Not to mention I think each fighter on the pass is meant to have a stage and I don't see Waluigi coming with a stage. Although in fairness it wouldn't be strange for the Mario franchise to get a random new stage.

I think very little is really "impossible" but we also don't really have any real reason to think they'd change course and add Waluigi as the final fighter pass character.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
What's actually the reasoning behind people suspecting Waluigi as FP5? Is there some solid evidence to support this claim, I'd check the Geno thread but I'm lazy.

Smash Lord
What's actually the reasoning behind people suspecting Waluigi as FP5? Is there some solid evidence to support this claim, I'd check the Geno thread but I'm lazy.
Something about red shell leak or something like that, I'm pretty confused about it myself. Personally I'm in no rush to find out who FP5 is at the moment so I'm not bothered by the wait as much as the rest of the fanbase

Kalaam

Smash Ace
With basically everything being decomfirmed by Sabi or Verge, I think it's likely that Fighter 5 was the friends we made along the way.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
With basically everything being decomfirmed by Sabi or Verge, I think it's likely that Fighter 5 was the friends we made along the way.
I'm voting for either Geralt or a Sony rep. (So Geralt or Kratos I guess)

Geralt does originate from a book series....but he's also the protagonist of a massively popular game series (The Witcher) and has become a lot more well known due to those video game appearances. (something that can't be said for a character like Goku)

I think Geralt's definitely towing the line between "video game character" vs "non video game character", but I still think he's probably on the possible side of that line when it comes to being added to Smash.

(Maybe I'm looking way too much into that Witcher and Daemon X Machina crossover, but it still feels interesting that a Japanese and Polish game company are interacting like this)

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Geralt is out as he is a book character first, but he'd fit the underwhelming last character condition !
Kratos could happen I guess, but I don't really see him as a good fit. However he would fit the condition of having a sidekick :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Geralt is out as he is a book character first, but he'd fit the underwhelming last character condition !
Kratos could happen I guess, but I don't really see him as a good fit. However he would fit the condition of having a sidekick :p
Is he really out?

The Witcher 3 is a hugely popular video game release and The Witcher series as a whole is a massively popular western video game series. Even if it did originate as a book series it's far more well known for being a video game series.

I think Geralt is a massive blind spot for the Smash speculation community right now. Even moreso now that we know CD Projekt Red have been collaborating with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Star Wars has some insanely popular video game characters (Revan, Starkiller...) but you don't see any going into smash either :/
More likely to get 2077 character than Geralt I think.

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter how popular the Witcher games are, his debut was still from a non video game product. There are other notable series with highly popular video games but that doesn't mean they are eligible at all. It isn't enough for him to gain that advantage over the others in my eyes. Game of Thrones is more popular as a TV show and Harry Potter is more famous as a film series but they still count as adaptations of a novel material same as Geralt does

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
And yet we have Dracula in Smash. I guess the question is where is the line between based on and licensed game and how that affects Smash. Unless Sakurai speaks his thoughts on such matters we likely won't know what he views Geralt as.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Dracula is a much, much older character. He went through so much variations, adaptations, reinterpretations, that he is just part of overall culture and figures. Just like if King Arthur was added, it'd be fine. Because it's a very specific interpretation of the character. You could have Ghouls and Goblin Arthur next to Arturia, and that'd be fine.
Dante is also based on the Divine Comedy, but so loosely and the book of origin is so old that it's not even the same character.
Geralt, from the games, is straight up Geralt from the books. As the games are a sequel to the books.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't matter how popular the Witcher games are, his debut was still from a non video game product. There are other notable series with highly popular video games but that doesn't mean they are eligible at all. It isn't enough for him to gain that advantage over the others in my eyes. Game of Thrones is more popular as a TV show and Harry Potter is more famous as a film series but they still count as adaptations of a novel material same as Geralt does
One could argue that the games are vastly different from the book versions apparently. But I agree with you. It'd break the rule to some extent.

So who's still in the running? Sony, Microsoft, Squenix, Nintendo, Shantae? Could be Isaac, Waluigi, Kratos, Steve, Master Chief, 2B... There's still a huge amount of possibilities even with all those companies deconfirmed.

Edit: Ok nevermind I just read all the news. Fighter 5 is Sandbag

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I expect fighter five to be someone who was deconfirmed.
With that massive list Verge just "deconfirmed", I've decided he's actually just talking out of his *** and has no information on anything. Sabi also happens to be on thin ice.

Top Bottom