• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This is good, but also unsurprising. Knowing that Nintendo is aware of the huge blowback from Isaac's confirmation as an assist trophy, this should mean that it puts him at the top of the list for promotions. I'm not worried about Waluigi and Geno, in fact the opposite. Them getting in would be BENEFICIAL to us as they are really the only other characters in that upper echelon of longstanding community wants
And if our suspicions around a Switch Golden Sun come true he's literally the choice that makes the most sense to promote honestly. Without bias it would be a highly demanded character who barely made it in and who some people think permanently missed his mark for Ultimate finally getting in. Isaac in Smash coupled with the return of the series will create so much hype collectively that it would do the potential new game wonders

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
And it's not even like the gap between games is atypical. Aces only came out last year.
I think this is a good time to reup my post from a while back on Camelot's release scheduling.

Camelot has been awfully quiet as of late. The last game they released was MT Aces on June 22, 2018, more than a year ago. The previous five games that they released before Aces came out in 2017 (Mario Sports Superstars), 2015 (MT: Ultra Smash), 2014 (MG: World Tour), 2012 (MT Open), and 2010 (GS Dark Dawn). Going back further we find that the biggest gap between releases that they've ever had was the 821 days (or 27 months) between MT: Power Tour and We Love Golf!. Something has to be in the works given their prior history.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think this is a good time to reup my post from a while back on Camelot's release scheduling.
Well yeah, something is in the works, but look how many of those games are two years apart. Plus they weren't even the sole devs on Mario Sports Superstars.

Two years looks pretty standard to me. Maybe if we don't hear anything this upcoming year it'll be a different story, but right now seems par for the course.
Pun intended.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201806/28160050.html

In this article, Hiroyuki Takahashi says that he was organizing Tennis Aces up until December 2017. That means he was likely working on something else up from that point, most likely with at least a portion of the Camelot team, if not the entire team. December 2017 is also when Xenoblade 2 came out mind.

6 months later, the new trademark gets applied for.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Poor Ivan. It’s a sad truth...unless you buff him up! lol

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201806/28160050.html

In this article, Hiroyuki Takahashi says that he was organizing Tennis Aces up until December 2017. That means he was likely working on something else up from that point, most likely with at least a portion of the Camelot team, if not the entire team. December 2017 is also when Xenoblade 2 came out mind.

6 months later, the new trademark gets applied for.
Hmm? It’s hard to think this sometimes, but you think that Monolith went to help make Golden Sun? It’s more than likely a coincidence though.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
With Camelot's RPG staff mostly gone, I would be more surprised if Monolith or another studio didn't help with a new Golden Sun. I'd love to see Monolith in charge of making the world feel real (which is their real strength, imo) while Camelot handles story/character design/gameplay.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I wouldn't be surprised if it was still all Camelot staff tbh, a remake doesn't require as much in the way of lore or world building

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
With Camelot's RPG staff mostly gone, I would be more surprised if Monolith or another studio didn't help with a new Golden Sun. I'd love to see Monolith in charge of making the world feel real (which is their real strength, imo) while Camelot handles story/character design/gameplay.
I've actually daydreamed of such a team-up happening in the past. :D

There's no shortage of help Camelot can go to if they can't go Golden Sun on their own. Monolith would be perfect.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if it was still all Camelot staff tbh, a remake doesn't require as much in the way of lore or world building
That's true, but having Monolith help with 3D environments can't hurt. I'd love it if Camelot could handle modern RPGs on their own.

Smash Lord
I could still see Camelot getting help from an external developer in the same vein as Koei Tecmo helping out with Three Houses. It could be anybody from Monolith to Level 5 even. It isn't a necessary thing to happen but it could make the development process much smoother for them

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Oh man. Seeing a big Monolith style world instead of just a teeny tiny world map with a giant Isaac/Felix on it would be pretty hype. I always thought it was kind of a shame with how much I enjoyed psynergy puzzles and stuff that they opted for a world map instead of connecting it all through screens of highways and forest trails and the like. Would be all sorts of places to hide things.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I take it you guys have seen this floating around?

https://www.thenintendovillage.com/articles/2019/11/11/nintendo-actively-exploring-more-remakes

Maybe this could inspire confidence in a Golden Sun remake on the Switch? Notice the emphasis on "past handhelds" VS just the 3DS. Combine that with how hot JRPG's are on the market and the renewed interest in the Golden Sun franchise (thanks to Isaac's Smash popularity) and now maybe we're on to something?
I do think that the success of Link's Awakening can't spell anything but good news. I always felt that they would need to dive into the catalogue of dormant IP to continue putting out games on the Switch, but now that they're specifically looking at remakes, that bodes really well for GS.

Things keep adding up in our favor, now here's hoping it all pans out in the end.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I do think that the success of Link's Awakening can't spell anything but good news. I always felt that they would need to dive into the catalogue of dormant IP to continue putting out games on the Switch, but now that they're specifically looking at remakes, that bodes really well for GS.

Things keep adding up in our favor, now here's hoping it all pans out in the end.
True that. And given both Golden Sun games on the GBA did well over a million units, it's hard to imagine Golden Sun not being on the table when it comes to remakes for the Switch Lite.

That being said, i'm curious if "new games" are supposed to mean "new IP's". Personally, i'm hoping it's not the case because I want some old franchises to return with new games rather than remakes like Advance Wars & F-Zero.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I take it you guys have seen this floating around?

https://www.thenintendovillage.com/articles/2019/11/11/nintendo-actively-exploring-more-remakes

Maybe this could inspire confidence in a Golden Sun remake on the Switch? Notice the emphasis on "past handhelds" VS just the 3DS. Combine that with how hot JRPG's are on the market and the renewed interest in the Golden Sun franchise (thanks to Isaac's Smash popularity) and now maybe we're on to something?
I feel a little hesitant to think this applies to anything more than Zelda and Mario games. Considering they were talking about the latest release of Link's Awakening.

Though I guess that they have this mindset definitely doesn't hurt.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I feel a little hesitant to think this applies to anything more than Zelda and Mario games. Considering they were talking about the latest release of Link's Awakening.

I think that's a little bit cynical don't you think? All that was stated was that they were looking at previous titles for potential remakes and considering some. Of course, those two franchises will be the priority for them but they have a much deeper catalog to pull from aside from that as well.

Golden Sun, having two million sellers under it's belt would absoutely be apart of that convo especially in the JRPG resurgance-era.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't see them doing remakes of any Mario sidescroller, and that includes the Land titles (maybe Wario Land though).

What other Mario handheld games could be remade? Only one I can think of is DK94 and that's not really a Mario game either.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think that's a little bit cynical don't you think? All that was stated was that they were looking at previous titles for potential remakes and considering some. Of course, those two franchises will be the priority for them but they have a much deeper catalog to pull from aside from that as well.

Golden Sun, having two million sellers under it's belt would absoutely be apart of that convo especially in the JRPG resurgance-era.
I guess I'll just have more confidence when we see a remake that isn't Mario or Zelda.

Though I'll admit if their focus is on handheld games it does benefit Golden Sun more.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess I'll just have more confidence when we see a remake that isn't Mario or Zelda.

Though I'll admit if their focus is on handheld games it does benefit Golden Sun more.
Metriod 2 Remake and the recent Famicom Detective Club remakes come to mind on that topic.

But yeah, the focus being on handheld games serves to benefit Golden Sun quite a lot in light of everything I mentioned before.

ZelDan

Smash Master
There's also the Zelda Oracle games that could be remade similarly to LA, though that'd probably be double the work because, you know, 2 games vs. just 1 game

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
True that. And given both Golden Sun games on the GBA did well over a million units, it's hard to imagine Golden Sun not being on the table when it comes to remakes for the Switch Lite.

That being said, i'm curious if "new games" are supposed to mean "new IP's". Personally, i'm hoping it's not the case because I want some old franchises to return with new games rather than remakes like Advance Wars & F-Zero.
I think the article is being misinterpreted. The title that they gave it doesn't really help matters. How I interpreted it is "We've done remakes like Link's Awakening HD, but our focus since has moved onto new games going forward". They're leaving it a little open-ended to say that they could still do more remakes, but I think the big take away is that they are more interested in making new games.

Even moreso, they say that they want titles that will fit the entire Switch family, which bodes even less well for titles made with only a handheld framework in mind.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think the article is being misinterpreted. The title that they gave it doesn't really help matters. How I interpreted it is "We've done remakes like Link's Awakening HD, but our focus since has moved onto new games going forward". They're leaving it a little open-ended to say that they could still do more remakes, but I think the big take away is that they are more interested in making new games.

Even moreso, they say that they want titles that will fit the entire Switch family, which bodes even less well for titles made with only a handheld framework in mind.
Yes they did say new games are their main priority but they also made it a point to say there's some past titles that are being considered. And at that, ones from previous handheld systems. Sure, it could be literally anything but a remake for a past handheld system bodes very well for something like Golden Sun. Especially on the Switch where it would have a visual upgrade while retaining it's portable charm.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Ever since Isaac's assist reconfirmation we've been doing our best to bring more awareness to the Golden Sun series as a whole and campaigning for it to come back. So an article coming out mentioning Nintendo internally discussing possible ideas about past titles when we've done a letter campaign for Golden Sun back in January and another more recently, does give me faith that Golden Sun could easily be one of these ideas floating around for that reason.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ever since Isaac's assist reconfirmation we've been doing our best to bring more awareness to the Golden Sun series as a whole and campaigning for it to come back. So an article coming out mentioning Nintendo internally discussing possible ideas about past titles when we've done a letter campaign for Golden Sun back in January and another more recently, does give me faith that Golden Sun could easily be one of these ideas floating around for that reason.
Yeah, even just getting the ideas rolling is a huge deal already.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Yeah, even just getting the ideas rolling is a huge deal already.
Makes me so happy that we decided to talk about Golden Sun a lot more than go into hiding. Something that we’ve done too many times before and it needed to stop as it hurt us more than we realize.
If there is a Golden Sun game being made now, we are paving the way for it to a lot of newcomers and hopefully we are bringing back Adept veterans.
I can’t wait for that day when Golden Sun returns and of course, see Isaac promoted in Smash.

NessAtc. NessAtc. You got featured in PapaGenos’ latest video about Lloyd. Nice!

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Seriously there is so many info that paint a bright future for Golden Sun's return. And I am certain the fanbase is a big reason for it, ironically I'm unsure it will make a lot of noise once it happens. Like "the dedicated fanbase resurrected this franchise". Though I also could see it happen and bring even more relevance and advertisement to the serie. Which would be perfect.
Also, it makes Isaac so likely as DLC.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Seriously there is so many info that paint a bright future for Golden Sun's return. And I am certain the fanbase is a big reason for it, ironically I'm unsure it will make a lot of noise once it happens. Like "the dedicated fanbase resurrected this franchise". Though I also could see it happen and bring even more relevance and advertisement to the serie. Which would be perfect.
Also, it makes Isaac so likely as DLC.
I agree. Which is why I’d like for Nintendo to give us a remake of the first two games as one game. It’d be a lot easier for Camelot to do or whoever they decide to make the games. They don’t need to come up with a new story or mechanics. Just update it.

Then with Isaac DLC and a Golden Sun remastered version they can wait and see how those do before deciding to move on with the series since I’m sure they’re probably cautious on rolling the dice with the franchise like they would for any old franchise.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Just had an interesting thought. What if there was a Pokémon GO like Golden Sun game? Would it be finding different Djinn around where you go? Would you be able to battle others? Hmm?
Personally, I’d prefer an actual game, but it would be interesting if you could take care of your Djinn like you would with Pokémon. Idk. Golden Sun has a ton of Golden (heh) potential that I wish Nintendo would see. Hopefully one day?

Smash Lord
Just had an interesting thought. What if there was a Pokémon GO like Golden Sun game? Would it be finding different Djinn around where you go? Would you be able to battle others? Hmm?
Personally, I’d prefer an actual game, but it would be interesting if you could take care of your Djinn like you would with Pokémon. Idk. Golden Sun has a ton of Golden (heh) potential that I wish Nintendo would see. Hopefully one day?
There was literally a mockup like that I found three years ago that was exactly that haha, I still have the image
1573859383178.png

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Tried to make a moveset. I'm not familiar with making these up, so some might be weird.

Basics
His pose and height is same as the assist trophy
Little lighter than Hero
Falco ground speed
Roy jump height
Cannot crawl or walljump
His sword his sheathed on his back unless he uses it

Normals
Jab: Three quick punches.
Ftilt: Punches the enemy with a Psynergy hand.
Utilt: Punji. Summons a bamboo to hit opponents.
Dtilt: Growth. Can cause trip.
Dash Attack: Force. A punch followed by a Psynergy punch. Taken from SSF2.
Recovery attack: Kicks around him.
Ledge attack: Comes up and sweeps the ground with his leg.

Aerials
Nair: Rockfall. Circle around himself with sharp rocks.
Fair: Helmsplitter. Similar to Cloud Fair, and has a meteor effect at the tip.
Bair: Backward roundhouse kick.
Uair: Upward slash.
Dair: Planet Diver. Charges downwards with his body covered in flame. Will not spike but deals good damage.

Smashes
Fsmash: Ragnarok. Launches a sword diagonally. Slow but strong.
Usmash: Thunderhead. Four consecutive lighting strikes, has wide range but weaker knockback.
Dsmash: Earthquake. Slams the ground and two pillars of rock emerges around him.

Grabs&Throws
Grab: Catch. Sends a hand to catch the opponent, and drags them close to him.
Pummel: Crushes the opponent.
Throws: Tosses the enemy in that direction.

Specials
Neutral special: Pound. Summons a giant hand and slams down the opponent. Identical to his assist trophy move. Has a meteor effect to opponents in the air.
Side special: Move. Summons a giant hand and pushes opponents. Same as his assist trophy move.
Up special: Teleport. He teleports some distance. Not much to say about this one.
Down special: Djinns. I got the idea from someone on smashboards. Chooses one Djinn from 4. Similar to Shulk's monado arts. If used, you'll have to wait a bit for them to recover.
Flint: Quickly slashes in front of himself. Does good shield damage.
Forge: Boosts his attack power for a short time.
Gust: Shoots three quick projectiles in front of him. Looks similar to Guile's Sonic Boom.
Fizz: Heals himself for 11%. Takes longer time to recharge.

Final Smash: Judgement.

Entrance animation: Teleports to battle.

Taunts
Taunt 1: Summons Flint and plays with him for a bit.
Taunt 2: Grabs the hilt of his sword and poses. From his Brawl artwork.
Taunt 3: Cracks his knuckles.

Idle animation 1: Adjusts his gloves.
Idle animation 2: Fiddles with his scarf.

This was written in mobile, so there might be some spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This will probably be my last post on here. Not going anywhere just yet. Judt mostly going to be on the K Rool, and Geno threads and places. Thank you all for being such a welcoming inviting community to someone who barely knew anything about Golden Sun.

I hope Isaac and the series returns one day.

And hopefully one day comes to Smash thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash Lord
Share that on twitter so we can make it viral !
I might have if the original artist didn't take it down off their DeviantArt page for some reason. The last time I shared art without citing the original source caused a bit of controversy so I'd prefer not getting into a situation like that again

DogManStar

Smash Ace
It really seems like GS has a real chance to come back again right now. Hopefully that's incentive enough for Sakurai to actually put Isaac in Smash because I think that would solidify GS's continued presence

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It really seems like GS has a real chance to come back again right now. Hopefully that's incentive enough for Sakurai to actually put Isaac in Smash because I think that would solidify GS's continued presence
I had a similar thought the other day. If we could just get Isaac's foot in the door, we'll be seeing so much more of him in general, similar to how much Little Mac and Shulk have been seeing more presence since their Smash 4 debut (Little Mac in an E3 skit and utilized more in Smash trailers along with Shulk who also had a prominent role in World of Light). Like Isaac's a blonde haired cutie with a snazzy scarf, I want to see him in all the Nintendo skits and cgi trailers lol.

Hopefully the Takahashi brothers will allow themselves to receive help from other Nintendo studios to make the development cycle easier on them cause they tend to get burnt out between entries. Even with Nintendo asking for another GS entry, they still wanted that cool down after Lost Age before working on Dark Dawn. And then after Dark Dawn they put up that notice regarding the future of GS and how much work goes into creating the story and world and likely needed another cool down with only fan demand being the deciding factor to bring the series back.

I only have one nightmare. Takahashi brothers asking for that time to work on the story in their 2012 message and thinking that there's something in the works but haven't actually story boarded anything since then cause they were waiting on fans to want another entry first. Though remakes of the first two games in a complete edition would take away the stress of having to worry about a continuing story from Dark Dawn in the first place.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, I finally got my Simon amiibo and it made me think how awesome it would be to have an official Isaac amiibo. Please let it happen, Nintendo!

Top Bottom