• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

D

Deleted member

No, he said that he was approached later by an executive to add a character from an upcoming game and they decided on Corrin. Originally there was no plan to do so.

Corrin doesn't count purely because he wasn't initially planned. If when they decided on the DLC characters Corrin was there then he would but he had special circumstances that don't apply to the rest of the cast of DLC. And yes there were vets and 3rd parties which is why it's probable they might go all 3rd party. The DLC for 4 were characters people were most likely to already know but since there are no vets to add now 3rd parties would be the only way to stick to a similar roster selection. And finally patterns don't always hold especially for Smash I agree but it's still a valid reason to think all DLC may be 3rd party.
It isn't a valid reason. If you still follow patterns, then the entire base roster for Ultimate would've been characters who appeal to the hardcore fans.

This is not a valid reason.

Corrin himself may have been a character suggested to Sakurai then added, but you also have no proof that they wouldn't have gotten a Nintendo newcomer anyways.

And, once again, if this isn't good enough for you, only patterns are what is suggesting at least most DLC being third party. They are not a valid point to go by. You need a stronger point to support your argument.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
No, he said that he was approached later by an executive to add a character from an upcoming game and they decided on Corrin. Originally there was no plan to do so.
That’s not the case, here’s what Sakurai said regarding Corrin.

Sakurai said:
After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot.
A character from an upcoming game was always a part of the plan for DLC.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Corrin still counts as a Nintendo newcomer. Plus, most of the DLC newcomers in Smash 4 being 3rd party could be because of the DLC veterans being Nintendo characters.

Most of the DLC? Maybe. All of them? No reason to believe this.

That said, the only thing we have to go off of suggesting at least most of the DLC being third party is a "pattern," which aren't reliable to go off of. So, again, there is no reaosn to believe we are getting all third party DLC.
Again that's not "no reason". It was an entire cycle where many first parties were highly demanded and yet none added. You can say you don't agree with it which is fine but it is a valid reason to believe they may operate in a similar manner.
That’s not the case, here’s what Sakurai said regarding Corrin.

A character from an upcoming game was always a part of the plan for DLC.
Huh, that's so strange. I distinctly remember reading Sakurai say he was approached to do this. Now I can't find for the life one me where I saw it so I guess I misremembered.

D

Deleted member

Again that's not "no reason". It was an entire cycle where many first parties were highly demanded and yet none added. You can say you don't agree with it which is fine but it is a valid reason to believe they may operate in a similar manner.
Once again, if patterns were such a thing, there wouldn't even be any major surprises to the roster. All newcomers in the base game of Ultimate would appeal to hardcore fans because, well, Ridley, Simon, and K Rool did.

Before Snake was added, a popular fan rule was "no third parties." There were no third parties until Snake was announced. Then, on to Smash 4, "only one third party per company," Ryu says hi. "One third party character per third party franchise," Ken would like to speak with you.

You see the flaws in the argument when you base it off of previous happenings, correct?

And, if this isn't good enough for you, a Nintendo DLC newcomer was planned for Smash 4 anyways.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Once again, if patterns were such a thing, there wouldn't even be any major surprises to the roster. All newcomers in the base game of Ultimate would appeal to hardcore fans because, well, Ridley, Simon, and K Rool did.

Before Snake was added, a popular fan rule was "no third parties." There were no third parties until Snake was announced. Then, on to Smash 4, "only one third party per company," Ryu says hi. "One third party character per third party franchise," Ken would like to speak with you.

You see the flaws in the argument when you base it off of previous happenings, correct?

And, if this isn't good enough for you, a Nintendo DLC newcomer was planned for Smash 4 anyways.
No, the flaw is with you. Mate, you're taking it as an absolute. It's not "they did this last game so they will do it this game" but rather "they did it last game so they might do it this game". There is a reason to think they may go full 3rd party. Will they? I have no idea but there is a possibility, a there is reasoning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No, the flaw is with you. Mate, you're taking it as an absolute. It's not "they did this last game so they will do it this game" but rather "they did it last game so they might do it this game". There is a reason to think they may go full 3rd party. Will they? I have no idea but there is a possibility, a there is reasoning.
I obviously can't convince you otherwise, but, if you think they'll go full third party because of the Smash 4 DLC newcomers, well, they had a Nintendo DLC newcomer.

I'm not basing how this DLC will be on how the Smash 4 DLC was, so there isn't much pointing one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The first wave of DLC being third party hasn't been confirmed, but it is still a possibility. I just really wish we could know atleast a couple more of the DLC characters so we could perhaps have some idea of what to look forward to.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Huh, that's so strange. I distinctly remember reading Sakurai say he was approached to do this. Now I can't find for the life one me where I saw it so I guess I misremembered.
A lot of people confuse that Corrin and the idea of a “promotional” character were decided at the same time, and I’ve seen it spread around when Corrin is brought up.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The only "confirmed" thing about the Fighters Pass characters is that Reggie quote from the Game Awards: "characters you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate." I'm admittedly in the camp that thinks that means they are all third parties, but that isn't necessarily the case either. I hope I'm wrong!

Kalaam

Smash Ace
In the meantime guys, what do you think about trying to make up Isaac's Classic mode ?
We need to make up 6 fights, and a boss (most likely rathalos)

We the mode follows the story of GS I guess it would be like this:
-The Vault Bandits (Red link + 2 purple young/toon link) using bombs and sword. Some smoke bombs could spawn on the battlefield, which could be a town one, not too big.

-Tret I guess, but then who would make a good Tret... Ivysaur ? Either on the Kirby Stage with the tree, or in another forest type of stage.

-Indigo Roy for the first fight against Saturos. In Kalos League with water hazards, some bombs could be present, the X ones to do pyroclasm, or this is to be kept for later.

-DK for the Mogall Boss, tho this could be replaced by a more important fight. But nothing fits the Manticore nor the Kraken (G&W with Smash Ball maybe)

-Colosso fights, stock battle with 1 life and 3 fighters in a row: Marth, Chrom then Ike with colors closest to the correct ones.

-Bonus stage on advance

-Roy and Zelda, for saturos and menardi, on Isaac's Stage, with the X-Bombs being common for the Pyroclasms psynergy etc. Some death scythes could drop too.

-Boss: Rathalos. would be the most fitting.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
More specifically here's the official tweet. We want this to as big as possible so we would really appreciate if you guys spread this as much as you can

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm of the camp that Wave 1 will not be all third-party, but if it is, I think a second Wave becomes exponentially more likely. I'm still holding out hope for Isaac as a Wave 1 character, but the odds of that are small (without a new GS in the works).

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Well Reggie didn't say 3rd party specifically. But the information we got might imply it in the end:

- The 5 characters are going to be new to the series (big question here: Do AT and Spirits count as well?)
- Joker shows how they are approaching the DLC (given that P5 sold more than 2.000.000 units, it is safe to assume, that they MAY go for 3rd party only chars to get more people into smash)
- The fighters pass will be done at the end of the year

So given that, I wouldn't get my hopes up about 2nd or 1st party chars. Of course it might still happen, but I guess it's safe to assume, that all of them are going to be 3rd party.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only "confirmed" thing about the Fighters Pass characters is that Reggie quote from the Game Awards: "characters you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate." I'm admittedly in the camp that thinks that means they are all third parties, but that isn't necessarily the case either. I hope I'm wrong!
"You would not anticipate" is such a broad term. It could even apply to an indie character from an upcoming game that's not even out yet.

Well Reggie didn't say 3rd party specifically. But the information we got might imply it in the end:

- The 5 characters are going to be new to the series (big question here: Do AT and Spirits count as well?)
- Joker shows how they are approaching the DLC (given that P5 sold more than 2.000.000 units, it is safe to assume, that they MAY go for 3rd party only chars to get more people into smash)
- The fighters pass will be done at the end of the year

So given that, I wouldn't get my hopes up about 2nd or 1st party chars. Of course it might still happen, but I guess it's safe to assume, that all of them are going to be 3rd party.
If that's the case, it'll get really expensive for Nintendo really fast. Although I find it strange that they wouldn't even want at least one of their characters in there (at least for this round), since at least some of the profit will go back to the companies they work with.

Hell, I'm not even sure what Konami is getting out of this since the Belmonts are in the base game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I interpret the first point as basically repeating the fact "they are not veterans", so new playable characters overall. It's... a pretty pointless thing to say, but no less true.

Generally most 3rd party characters are going to be notable enough as is to get sales. I mean, it's business sense. It's paid DLC.

It's not safe to assume they're all 3rd party. There's a bit leaning towards it, but the price point on Persona 5 doesn't mean much as we only have 1 character. We'd need to see somebody else to find any real patterns. The sales of the game alone aren't much telling of the point. The picks being more unexpected(not the usual popular ones people think would be in) seems to be the idea they're going for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I interpret the first point as basically repeating the fact "they are not veterans", so new playable characters overall. It's... a pretty pointless thing to say, but no less true.

Generally most 3rd party characters are going to be notable enough as is to get sales. I mean, it's business sense. It's paid DLC.

It's not safe to assume they're all 3rd party. There's a bit leaning towards it, but the price point on Persona 5 doesn't mean much as we only have 1 character. We'd need to see somebody else to find any real patterns. The sales of the game alone aren't much telling of the point. The picks being more unexpected(not the usual popular ones people think would be in) seems to be the idea they're going for.
Yeah, that's the thing. We still only have one guy. Did people back in the Smash 4 era assume we'd just get veterans as DLC the second Mewtwo was revealed?

Whoever is coming next, they're likely to at least be one character that doesn't have a particularly popular thread.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, that's the thing. We still only have one guy. Did people back in the Smash 4 era assume we'd just get veterans as DLC the second Mewtwo was revealed?

Whoever is coming next, they're likely to at least be one character that doesn't have a particularly popular thread.
You make a Brian supporter happy with that last sentence. :p

But seriously, that's exactly it. 3rd parties are a huge party of Smash since Brawl. Of course we'd get some of them. People should've expected some in Ultimate's possible DLC lineup as is. I wouldn't say in 4's DLC, since we've gotten very few. We also got some fairly unexpected ones. People didn't expect a company to get two reps, which made Ryu a surprise. Cloud as is was surprising since he was associated with PlayStation while having no major Nintendo appearances(pure spin-offs), and some didn't even know he was in Nintendo games as is. Bayonetta being from a mature game, and sexual stuff pretty much took everyone by surprise. It didn't help that she wasn't exactly in the same level of iconicness as the rest of the 3rd party cast at that point(including Cloud, though he wasn't announced yet).

_Sheik

Smash Lord
You make a Brian supporter happy with that last sentence. :p

But seriously, that's exactly it. 3rd parties are a huge party of Smash since Brawl. Of course we'd get some of them. People should've expected some in Ultimate's possible DLC lineup as is. I wouldn't say in 4's DLC, since we've gotten very few. We also got some fairly unexpected ones. People didn't expect a company to get two reps, which made Ryu a surprise. Cloud as is was surprising since he was associated with PlayStation while having no major Nintendo appearances(pure spin-offs), and some didn't even know he was in Nintendo games as is. Bayonetta being from a mature game, and sexual stuff pretty much took everyone by surprise. It didn't help that she wasn't exactly in the same level of iconicness as the rest of the 3rd party cast at that point(including Cloud, though he wasn't announced yet).
Cloud was definitely announced before Bayo. And Ryu was hardly a surprise given that he and Roy were datamined months before their reveal

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Cloud was definitely announced before Bayo. And Ryu was hardly a surprise given that he and Roy were datamined months before their reveal
Doesn’t change the fact that both Roy and Ryu were unexpected when they were first leaked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The datamine is what made Roy and Ryu have less of an oomph. They were still unexpected on its own.

And my bad on the order of release. I thought Cloud and Bayo were announced in the same direct, but I might've forgotten.

D

Deleted member

The more I play Golden Sun, the better it gets, and the more the "want" for Isaac in Smash and a remake of the GS trilogy turns into a need.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hell, I'm not even sure what Konami is getting out of this since the Belmonts are in the base game.
Snake's in, the Belmonts are in, and Bomberman is a Assist. So if we do get another Konami rep in the Season Pass which is very unlikely, I'm sure it will be Goemon. I have low expectations on that happening, but I hope it does because Goemon is my most wanted character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom